2.8

2.8

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

Great all around credit card!

I have had this card for over one year now and have really had no problems with it. We initially got this card (our only CC) because of the discounted gas (at Murphy USA gas stations) perk.

I soon started using the card for most of my purchases because of the cash back feature -- every time I earn $10 in cash back they send me a check in the mail with the current statement. We now get a little check every month!

A few things to note:
I have been late with one payment (just completely forgot to set it up to come out of my banking account) since getting the card.
They have doubled my credit limit as well (we're now at about $5k).
I do pay off the entire balance every month.

Recently I made an unusual purchase (about $2600 on appliances) and they declined the amount even though I definitely hadn't reached my credit limit. I received a call the next morning from them to make sure my card had not been stolen and to verify the purchase. That was a bit of a hassle (because I then had to call the appliance people and get them to rerun the card) but I'd rather them have security measures like that in place than the alternative.

Overall I am completely satisfied with this credit card and have no plans to change or stop using it.

Available Rates
I believe it's 22.90% for me, but it's a non issue because we pay the card off every month.

A great card until you miss a payment!!

I got this credit card at the peak of my life. I had a $1700 limit and was a great customer for a year, I paid this card off entirely at the end of every month and on time at that. A year ago I got pregnant and was extremely sick and missed out on a lot of work which forced me to use this card to pay for every day needs. To make a long story short basically I maxxed out the card and then was not able to make even the minimum payments at the end of the month. By this time I was on maternity leave with no income coming in at all and I called the company to explain my situation and hear my options. I ended up letting this card go 3 months without a payment but I was talking to them and telling them I just couldnt make the payments at this time. They all understood and were nice about it and explained that they still had to call at least every 7 days. Well it was not every 7 days! Today they called me ELEVEN times in 4 hours. I was at work and every time I answered I would get an automated system telling me to hold. I was LIVID! I sat there and waited 5 minutes on hold after THEY called ME!! When I got through I told the guy ("Israel" was his name) I have already talked to you guys, please stop calling b/c this is turning into harassment. I said I was at work and I couldnt keep having these crazy amount of phone calls coming in. He argued with me and I got a little snippy and yelled "I said I already talked to someone and I cant make the payments so please just take me off the list to call! DO. NOT. CALL. ME. AGAIN." and he said "we'll continue to call, have a great day" and HUNG UP right in my face. You better believe I called them right back and talked to a lady who blatenly sat there and lied to me and told me they only called me once that day and that I was already taken off the list to be called and she was very rude also. She, in her rude, snippy way, assured me I would not recieve another call and sure enough 20 minutes later I got another phone call from them. I didnt even answer b/c I was so angry I wouldnt even be able to explain why I was mad to them, I would have had to just cuss them out. I looked up my rights about this on the internet and by law they are only allowed to call once every 7 days. The card was fine but the customer service is absolutely horrendous.

Love the payment options.

from Florida

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

Like most things Wal-Mart related this Discover card has it's good and bad. For the most part the good outweighs the bad in this particular instance.

The rates are so so. They aren't horrible, but they aren't the best either. I have kinda come to expect this from Discover.

The customer service is pretty good, I've had bad experiences with them and a couple good ones.

My favorite part of being a Wal-Mart Discover card is that I have multiple choices on how and where to pay my bill. I can go into any of the Wal-Mart stores and pay in person or I can manage my bill online. I love that.

Overall it's not My favorite credit card that I have and I admit That I really only use this card to pay for gas at the Wal-Mart has stations and for diapers and stuff. But even still it has helped me stabilize and maintain my credit and credit score.

I would recommend this card as long as you read the conditions and terms.

Bad Card Choice!

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

This card is not recommended for responsible payment behavior, nor if you are trying to have a card that grows with your responsible habits. Credit line increases are unheard of IF you pay your balance in full each month. The last letter received from GE Capital was that your credit line increase has been denied due to limited payment history, with the aforementioned being stated IF I decided to pay a minimum payment each month I am sure that a credit line increase would have been granted, GE Capital seems to like to have their interest collection each month.. This card is not recommended!!

Customer Service
Foreign based customer service.

Available Rates
Interest is too high compared to other rewards cards.

• Available Rates:

The interest rate is high and if you don't use it, you lose it.

from West Virginia

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

This card has really been no different from any other cards I've had in the past. I got this card because we were just starting out and I wanted to begin building up some credit. The credit card interest rate was a bit steep but I opted to go ahead and get the card because I am frequently shopping at Wal-Mart.

My credit limit was very small. I didn't mind though because I would just use the card to buy a few essential items then pay it off in hopes of building up my credit. After a while I kind of forgot about the credit card and stopped really using it. I got a letter that basically said if I didn't use my card, I was going to lose my card. This seemed a bit unfair. I had the card for nearly two years, my interest rate hadn't gone down, my credit limit hadn't gone up, and they were essentially threatening to cancel my card if I didn't use it. I eventually opted to cut the card up and be done with it.

Customer Service
Customer service wasn't too bad and wasn't too great either. They didn't help explain why my credit limit hadn't gone up in two years of making on time payments. They basically said what the letters said about using my card. Apparently if you stop using your card for about six months, they will cancel the account. I found this quite strange. In the end, my credit limit didn't increase and my interest rate didn't decrease so I opted to cancel the card.

Available Rates
The interest rates available were terrible and after two years, my interest rates didn't go down any at all.

Not worth it!

from Elko, Nevada

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

My husband and I got this credit card two years ago because we were trying to rebuild our credit and they approved us. We had a very low credit limit at first, but that was fine because we just wanted a card to help us and to be used and paid off fast to look good on our credit report. We have paid this card off every single month in full for the last two years. Never have we been late, never have we missed a payment, never has the balance been above 50% of the card limit. Two years in, and we still have never had a credit increase one time. We have other cards that in the past two years have all been increased at least once if not twice. It has such a low limit that we really can't use it for much if we ever needed a big purchase so I just keep it and buy small things so they don't just close it on us. If I knew then what I know now though, I would not have gotten this card and just skipped it all together!

• Available Rates:

Walmart Discover Is Not All It's Made out To Be.

from Fort Worth, Texas

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

The Walmart Discover Card from GE Capital Retail Bank is no different from any other credit card I have had in the past. I got this card because I thought I would be able to easily pay it off every year and also build my credit in the process. I also thought it was great that Walmart offered this Discover Card since I absolutely love the one stop shop of Walmart. At the time I applied for this card with a promotional offer they were offering at the time. Since I have paid off this card twice and still no increase in my credit limit or discounts. My interest rate seems to be rising and each year although I am spending less it seems like the payments are increasing. I do not recommend this card or any other for that matter.

Customer Service
Walmart customer service is the worst. It does not matter if it is on the phone or in person it is still a huge hassle. I have called many times to pay on my account and was left on hold for over an hour and then even after talking to the rep my issue was still unsolved.

• Available Rates:

Hard card to get approved for.

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

This is one hard card to get approved for if you don't have very well established credit. I applied back in 2010 and got denied, but three years later, they gave me a credit line of $500. Walmart is my go-to place for pretty much all of my shopping, so I was thrilled when they finally approved me. They give you a little slip of paper as a temp way to use your card for up to 3 days in the store you applied in while you wait for your actual card to arrive in the mail. They told me the card would arrive in 7-14 business days. That was a joke, it took over a month for me to get my card. Once I got my card, I tried to activate it online, but the site kept giving me an error message saying my session timed out after I clicked the next button on the first page. I called their 1800 number to activate it and it took no time at all, while I had them on the line, I went ahead and ordered a secondary card for my husband to be. The second card took an equal amount of time to get here. I was all excited to use my new card the next day, but when I tried to make my purchase, the register said "alternate payment method required". This was the only card I had on me, so I had to wait on hold for like 5 minutes after ringing up all of my stuff. The customer service rep said the reason for my card getting declined was because there was "unusual activity" on my card, so they put a freeze on it. The "unusual activity" was me using my card with the temp paper they gave me the day I got approved. So the fact that a $13 purchase was "unusual" bothered me. As long as you make your payments on time, this is a pretty good card to have.

• Available Rates:

Great no interest deals if you have good credit

from Kansas City, MO

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

My husband and I used this card to buy our 47" Smart TV. With my good credit we qualified for 18 months interest free.

It was very easy to apply. Did it right in the store at the entertainment section. I could have bought anything right then at that store that day with my receipt. I didn't do that because we wanted to make sure the TV we wanted was the best deal for the best TV possible.

My biggest complaint was finding the TV we wanted. But that doesn't have to deal with the card. That deals with walmart's issues we stocking and not being honest about what they really have in stock in their buildings.

Haven't dealt with customer service yet.

Very easy to pay online. Very accessible and easy to understand. Safe as they have a picture you have to pick on stop of passwords. Very easy to pay and control online.

I recommend highly if you are looking for a big purchase in their store and you have good credit. There are also rewards available, so if you take advantage of that and stay on top of the payments, there could be some benefits there as well.

Customer Service
haven't dealt with it yet. In store was great, regards to card.

• Available Rates:

Save on gas, plus cash back!

from Lubbock, TX

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

Since we almost exclusively buy our gas at Wal-Mart, we though it made sense to apply for a Wal-Mart Discover Credit Card. With the card, we get a 5 cent per gallon discount on gas. It is great for our long road trips to visit family and friends. Also, we get 1% cash back on purchases. It was very easy to apply for in our local Wal-Mart and we received the card in the mail a few days later. I can keep track of everything online, including making payments. It is very easy to make payments and access the online account. Once you get $10 from your cash back, then it will go onto your account. We also get to check our FICO score!
I have had one local business that would not accept the card because it was a Discover card. That is the only down-side I can think of.

Never had any problems!

Available Rates
We pay off our account every month, so I do not know what the rates are. There is no annual fee and it was free to apply for the card.

• Available Rates:

My BEST suggestion is STAY AWAY from the walmart credit card!

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

Worst credit card you could ever have is this Wal-Mart credit card! My husband and I have had this card for about two years now and it has been horrible. We have never missed a payment and this month we missed our first payment by hours and got charged 35 dollars! Seriously! Also, I noticed on my bill we have dollars worth of fees and charges that it does not say where they came from. There is no rewards or any ups about this card. When you pay off your limit they some how can bump your credit limit down due to review on your credit or the "economy" after listening to a bunch of non-sense that I did not find logic to I finally hung up the phone. The customer service is just as bad as the Walmart stores are getting to be. I don't even shop at their stores anymore. I am paying off the card and will not be using them again! Worst card to get!

Customer Service
They do not listen to you and they give you a run around. They also keep you waiting for a person or operator for a while!

Available Rates
Their charges are outrages!

• Available Rates:

Decent card with disappointing rewards.

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - Walmart Discover Card:

I don't use this card very often with the exception of some regular monthly charges and random purchases here and there. That being said, I signed up for the card after hearing a promotion offer speech from the cashier at the register. The initial promotion was good, but took a bit of wrangling with customer service to make sure it went through. I haven't had many issues with it since that incident, but again, I don't use it that frequently. My interest rate isn't too terrible at all. The one main reason that I did sign up for this credit card, though, was the understanding that it had a points/benefits/rewards program, which I was interested in as I tend to use those credit cards more because of those established programs. However, the Walmart discover card points/rewards system is pretty disappointing. It would take quite some time to accumulate points to get back any sort of reward (and the cash back/ultimate reward offered isn't really even that impressive), and you hardly get any reward for using the credit card elsewhere outside of the store even though its designed to be able to do that. If I could have do-over on applying for this card, I'd probably stop myself from signing up for it. There isn't really any worth to it, for me, unless you shop at Walmart obsessively (which I don't) as the reward system is otherwise pretty pitiful.