Other Credit Cards:

Chase - Freedom Card

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

for responsible pay on time people with very good credit.

You’ll need a better than average credit score and an above average debt to earnings ratio to qualify for any significant (over 2,500) credit on this card.

They have several...Read complete review

They have several good promotional deals that usually offer 0 percent interest for at least 6 months.

Promotional deals usually offer you $50 after your first few transactions AND 100 bonus cash back after you make 799 in purchases in your first three months.

No annual fee.

You earn 3 percent to 5 percent cash back in popular categories like Gas, Home Improvement and Department Store and a full 1 percent cash back on everything else with no spending tiers.  There’s no limit on the amount of cash back you can earn and your cash back rewards never expire.

People with excellent credits and who bank at Chase get the best deals which include bonus reward cash points, up to 20 percent cash back with certain merchants and up to 12 months of 0 APR for purchases.

Credit limits for consumers with good credit is approximately $5,000.

The above features make this a good credit card choice for people with very good credit histories.

**Now the bad new**s.

There are balance transfer fees; so this is not a good card to use to transfer other credit card or loan balances (there are better choices).

You MUST have very good credit to qualify for their best promotional deals and for their best APR rates and credit limits.

You MUST be sure to pay your minimum credit due on time or you will see your rates increase from the promotional 0 percent, the good credit 8 percent  to 18, 20 or even 24 percent.    And this happens quickly and without warning.   There have been many many complaints and legal filings regarding how aggressive Chase is in increasing your interest rate.

There is a lot of fine print on their credit card agreements and Chase very quickly implements their fee and  interest rate increases for consumers who are not paying on time or whose financial situation changes.

What this means….

Pay before you bill is actually due  every single month.

Customer service at Chase has gotten a low rating by consumers.  They are a very large company AND aggressive in increasing rates and fees, so this is not surprising but you want to be aware of this.

There’s not a lot of room to make mistakes, errors or be the least bit inconsistent.

**BOTTOM LINE:**

If you have very good credit and are in the habit of paying your bills a little bit earlier than they are actually due, then this card is an excellent choice for you .  It offers generous cash back type rewards and excellent 0 percent APR promotional terms that increase to a very reasonable 8 percent (which is good for those who carry a balance).  Common Credit Limits for those with very good credit are in the $5,000 range.    Consider this card company utterly unforgiving if you make a mistake, do not have good bill paying habits or have an unstable financial situations.

The rating of 4 applies to those who have good bill paying habits and above average credit.  All others should AVOID this card because dealing with their customer service is a very difficult process.

Chase Freedom-where we change the rules every few months!

My experiences with Chase Bank are very, very poor.

My experiences with Chase Bank are very, very poor.

I owned a National Bank of Detroit Account as a child, that my father took me in to set up when I was in grade school.  The bank had a special child's saving account, so that kids could learn to manage their money responsibly without minimums, fees, or any of the things kids shouldn't have to worry about when just starting to save their allowance.

NBD was bought by Bank One.  Bank One didn't open any more of these child's accounts, but they let the ones that were already open remain as they were.

Then Chase bought Bank One.

They decided the children's accounts were wasting them money, so they slapped minimums on the savings accounts and starting charging monthly fees.  My two younger sister's accounts were drained before we figured this out; and my brother and I's childhood savings (re: years of allowance) reduced to under $50.  We finally closed the accounts.

Fast forward to 2008.  My father had just passed away, and my mother and I were going into Chase Bank to put my name, as the oldest child, on the list of people who can access the family safe deposit box.  You know, with her will and such.

We were told "well, she'll have to have an account with us." >_<

We grudgingly took 45 minutes to set up checking, savings, and because I was trying to build my credit any way, a Chase Freedom credit card.  We were also going to look at headstones that day, but because of the paperwork we were unable to do so.  Talk about stressing circumstances.

So, for a long time I was happy enough with my Chase Freedom Card.  I was earning my way toward an extra $50 when I saved up $200 worth of 3% cash back from my credit card purchases.  Then all of a sudden they switched to a 'points' system, where the points are nowhere near close to the value of the previous cash back system.  UGH.

Not only that; but they began charging a $6 a month fee to have the checking account.  I had opened the account as a college student, so the fee was waived, but after graduation it is not waived unless you have direct deposit.  Hi, worst time to graduate since the depression, lack of full employment, thanks Chase Bank, for your kindness and understanding.

Not to mention the $300 stuck in savings that my mom had to loan me the day we had to open the account, as it was the minimum required to open the stupid thing.  Well hi, I really can't afford to be charged $6 dollars a month just to have a nearly empty bank account, while $300 sits in your coffers where I can't touch it, and you change the terms of your credit card on me at the blink of an eye.

Chase Bank's answer 'that these changes are Industry wide' is not sufficient.  What all of the banks are doing to citizens is outright usuary, and I'm not particularly religious, but seriously, sometimes the church has it right.  Stop the ridiculous usuary!

I closed my Chase accounts and moved my money to a local credit union.  They close an hour and a half earlier than Chase every day, but it's a small price to pay for free checking, better interest, and people that care about the community and not just their bottom line.

I will utilize only credit unions from now on.

I would recommend this card to everyone!

from Kansas City, Missouri

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I got this card solely based on the fact that there a 0% APR introductory period for the first 12 months, PLUS there was also a deal at that time if I got $100 cash back once I spent my first $500. Since I had a bunch of dental work that needed to be I was extremely excited when I was accepted. I have to say I thoroughly impressed when they credited my account as well without any hassle and fairly quickly once I did actually spend my first $500ll! You can also earn up to 5% back on purchases which I think is pretty cool. I have to say that the only thing that I dislike about the card is that you have to earn up 2,000 in reward points in order to redeem anything. I know with another card I have even if it's ten cents in points they will refund you back that day if you wish. Other then that little thing I would recommend this card for anyone who plans on buying a big purchase right away and you can save some cash while you do it!

Chase Freedom Customer Service--Unbelieveably BAD!

from Waterbury, Ct. 06705

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I just got off the phone with customer service to report a lost credit card. I'd originally called to report it lost two days prior but they suggested I wait to see if it could be located. Well, I couldn't locate it and called tonight to ask that they cancel and re-issue me another card. Spoke with one individual who then connected me with someone that could barely speak coherent English (Mitchi was her name). I was repeatedly asked for the credit card number and/or the last four numbers of the account but kept telling Mitchi I didn't have the card and didn't know the account number. Very slow to comprehend. She told me that she was unable to access my account number in the system she was in. ???? Then she attempted to ask me a series of the most bizarre questions as she put "for security reasons". It wound up that she had to spell out almost every word she asked because her pronunciations were so far off. I couldn't understand what she was asking. Here were some of the questions: was I 'affililated' with any of the following: Atlas Comfort Systems, Soya Restaurant, Wyle Laboratory and finally something about a 1-9-8-1 Honda Civic--not a nineteen eighty one vehicle but a one nine eight one vehicle. No reading comprehension there. I didn't realize that a call to customer service would turn into a spelling bee. I definitely was transferred over to someone out of the country and when she asked for my SSI#-I told her no way. I certainly didn't trust that one and had no confidence in Chase there. Finally, she was able to locate my account (don't know why there was any problem locating my account to start with) and said she'd re-issue me another card. No thank you or appropriate ending to the call--I was just hung up on.
My suggestion is that Chase would be better served by staff that are polite, well spoken and knowledgeable of their systems. Employees that read scripted information (and poorly at that) are not a good reflection on this company.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

More than love it!

from Eustis, FL

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I just recently applied for the Chase Freedom card and was surprised that I was approved for it being that although my credit isn't terrible it isn't the best either. I must say that I am reaping the benefits already and I haven't had it a month yet. So far I haven't had to worry about any interest but then again I've only had it a month so I'm sure it's just an introductory type deal but that's neither here nor there. I am loving the high percentage of rewards especially on gas in comparison to the percentage I get back on my other credit cards. I also love the fact that I got a deal on getting $100 if I spent $500 within three months of having the card as well as $25 back if I added an authorized user. I just so happened to add my mom and I've more than spent $500 already being that I used it to pay bills, although I quickly paid it off as quickly as I charged it so that I wouldn't have to worry about the balance. I will also say I enjoy the fact that I have a choice in whether or not I want to use the points earned toward paying my bill, depositing in a bank account, or using it for a gift card of my choice.

Convenient locations, amazing offers, nice rewards program

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I began as a part of Chase's student banking system during my high school years and simply loved their customer service and convenience.

Chase in particular has an awesome referral program and cash-back system that drew me to apply for their credit cards. There is an occasionally $50 offer for referring a friend to open a credit card. There are also a bonus $100 back when you spend $500 on the first 5 months. I was amazed at how smooth everything went with this offer. They offer a 2% cash-back on qualifying purchases of that month and 1% back for anything else. There is absolutely nothing to lose if you keep on top of your purchases and avoid late fees. There is also so many ways to avoid this since you can pay your bills online or even at the press of a button on their mobile app.

I could 100% stand by this credit card and would recommend it to anyone that asks for a feedback on the Chase Freedom.

The only Freedom I want is from Chase.

from Florida

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I was a Chase Freedom cardholder for about eight months and I'm glad that I got free when I did.

They use tactics to attract you to the card and to signing up, claiming lowers fees and all kinds of stuff that makes this card look like a good choice.

However once they roped me in there terms changed, the interest rate spiked and they added all sorts of limitations and fees that were not discussed up front when I signed up for the card.

I used it a handful of times for large purchases and then mostly used it for gas when needed. I soon realized that this card wasn't worth the interest that I would be paying on my purchases. I worked hard to quickly pay off the balance and cut up the card.

Customer service was rude each time I had to use them, one guy even claimed he didn't have to answer my questions about my card and account if he didn't want to. Needless to say I mentioned this when I closed my account.

I do not reccomend the Chase Freedom card.

Decent card

from Warren, OH

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I recently got this credit card as I saw that chase freedom was advertising a promotion that was going on with this card. They were advertising that this card if you made purchases in the amount of five hundred dollars in the allotted amount of time of three months you earn a bonus in rewards miles to use. I was very excited to find this kind of deal and promotion going on so I jumped on it and applied for a chase credit card right away. I was very happy that this chase credit card has no annual fee as that makes things a lot easier when applying for a credit card. The customer service is not wonderful but they are able to help in a fairly decent manner so I would rate them as an eight. I would also keep this credit card and use it often because they also offer 1 percent cash back and also more cash back on certain purchases that are made. This is a great perk that can earn me more money when I have to spend it anyways.

The freedom to live

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

The Chase Freedom credit card is a very good credit card and is useful for purchasing products when you are low on cash. The name says it all, it allows to have the freedom to make purchases. All I could say is why not get it, it is the next big thing, who knows how well Visa and Master card have left.

My go-to card

from Saint Petersburg, FL

Pretty good rewards

Customer Service
I paid the card in full, the Chase checking account showed that it was paid, but I couldn't charge anything. When I called, they adjusted their records so that I could use the card. It should not have been necessary.

Available Rates
no better or worse than any of them

• Available Rates:

Comes with extra cash back option.

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

i have had this card for a long time now, though I do not use it that often. This credit card offers great cash back option every quarter. For other than 1% cashback throughout the year you have an option to earn 5% cash back on up to $1,500 in combined purchases each quarter in the mentioned categories. One thing I do not like here is, I have to activate this option online else will not be issued cash back directly, which I feel should not be the case. being a card holder, I should be automatically credited with cash back on the eligible purchases. For the current quarter of july-september they are offering 5% cash back on gas and Kohl's and for the upcoming quarter, i.e, Oct-Dec you can get it on Amazon.com, zappos.com and many departmental stores such JCPenney, Kohl's, Macy's, NORDSTROM, Sears etc. Check their website for more stores and exclusions. I try to use this card every now and then and will definitely use it while shopping on Macys and Amazon in the coming quarter.

So far, so good.

from Millville, NJ

Comments about Chase - Freedom Card:

I just received my Chase Freedom card a couple of weeks so far and up to this point, everything is going well. While this card has worked well for me, others may have issues with getting a high amount of allowed credit on their card. This is where I had one concern. For the Chase Freedom card, I didn't get as much of a credit as I was hoping for and when compared with my other cards. They also rejected a raise, and I am assuming this is because they are much more particular when it comes to credit scores. Beyond that however, I have had no major issues with this card.

Customer Service
So far from my few experiences that I have had with customer service, they have been just average. They are a little slow about getting back to you, and sometimes, you get transferred quite a few times before someone is finally able to answer your questions.

Available Rates
This card has one of the better rates out of all the cards I have.