3.5

3.5

High Interest Rate But Good Coupons

from Hartford, CT

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - JCPenney Platinum Rewards Credit Card:

Although I only occasionally shop at JCPenney I do have their credit card for the rewards it provides. I take advantage of the coupons specifically for card members the most.

The card has three levels of rewards (Regular, Gold, and Platinum). To qualify for the Gold status you need to spend $500 a year and Platinum requires $1,000 in purchases.

For every $100 that you spend in a single month they send you a $10 rewards certificate. You can actually earn up to ten certificates a month, but I've never spent $1,000 at JCPenney in a single month. They also have bonus events during the year when your purchases earn you extra points. I usually don't take advantage of these. I tend to use my card only when I need to purchase something and if I get a reward then that's great. I don't think that rewards carry over from month to month so if you spend $50 in January and $50 in February you won't get a $10 certificate in February since you didn't spend all $100 in a single month.

The card is easy to use and bill payment is super simple - either online, by mail, or at a register in the store. The interest rate is very high so it's best if you try not to carry a balance.

• Customer Service:
  • Available Rates:

Good rewards but high interest

Comments about GE Capital Retail Bank - JCPenney Platinum Rewards Credit Card:

I had this credit card for multiple years. I thought it was a great idea to have it at first. I got awesome rewards for the store. It gave my multiple discounts and coupons over the years. It also became my go to clothing store. Any time I needed something new, I put it on the credit card without thinking twice. However, as I got older, I started looking closer at my statements. What I came to realize was that the interest rate on this credit card is high. What I was paying for in interest did not come close to what I was saving on discounts and coupons. I would not recommend having this credit card unless you intend to pay it off in full each month. The interest rates are too high.

Customer Service
I never had a negative experience with customer service. They were always kind and helpful to me.

Available Rates
This is where the card gets you. The interest rates are so high that you end up paying more for everything you buy. It is not worth having it.

• Customer Service: