3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

Absolutely the best customer service oriented company today

American Express has always been there for me.  I have been a cardholder/member for many years now and cannot conceive a time of not having the reliable friend in my wallet.  I have had occasion over the years to have emergencies arise and American Express has been able to assist me virtually every time (leaving a presciption at home mistakenly while travelling overseas they were able to hook me up with a pharmasist in Luxembourg and they were able to assist me with travel issues I was having in Turkey).  Whenever I have called I have ALWAYS been treated with the utmost in courtesy and respect, with my questions being answered promptly and accurately.  Kudos to American Express - may the rest of corporate America take their lessons from the customer service they provide.

Only true luxury jet-setters should apply

I received my amex platinum card last year in hopes that my husband and I could travel to New Zealand cheaper with its 2 for 1 airline perk. The annual fee was $250 but we were going to save so much money  since the airline tickets were $1000s. Wrong! The 2 for 1 tickets are from the city leaving the U.S. (so you have to get there first, which for us was flying from the east coast to the west coast) and also are based on the published, not discounted rates......that's really the clincher. Most flights are "discounted" in some way. The published rate is a ticket that could be bought an hour before the flight- the highest rate possible.

This year when renewal time came up, they had another twist. For an annual fee of $395, you can buy up to 4 domestic travel tickets 2 for 1. Really, I'm normally not a sucker for these things!!! So, I called first to get some flights booked before I paid the annual fee. It worked! I bought a flight in June that I saved $248. I have several more flights to book but you can only book 6 months in advance (could I have been scammed again?). We'll see if I can pull the same deals out. If so, I will save around $600. We'll see.

The platinum card also has many other luxury perks (a 24 hour concierce to get the best tickets to shows, golf tournaments, wine tastings, etc) but we don't have the time for that lifestyle.......yet.

Better than I expected.

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I'll admit for a long time I didn't know a whole lot about American Express it wasn't until just a couple years ago I started researching them as a potential card that I really realized how good they were.

I got my American Express card a little less than a year ago and have for the most part had only positive experiences with it.

I lost my card while at the beach last year and was a little concerned that I would have to cancel my card and go through a whole headache of dealing with what would come from that. Boy was I wrong. The customer service was amazing, beyond my expectations. They worked with me and helped me make sure that everything was taken care of before issuing me a New card.

I also was surprised by the rates. They are actually pretty good. I was expecting them to be outrageous and they aren't at all. Which makes me love this card even more.

American Express has a pretty great rewards system too, it was a little confusing at first but then I realized that I was trying to over think it, and have since enjoyed my points and rewards immensely.

American Express Platinum Optima is the best Credit Card

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

Have had this card for 20 years. They have the lowest interest rate that can't be beat. No games, no b.s. as in tons of promotional transfer rates, just a good fixed rate. They are the only card during the 2008 crash that did not lower my limit for no reason. All other cards did although I had never missed a payment,

Customer Service
Always professional and literate customer service reps.

Available Rates
If you have the credit rating to get the platinum optima, it is the lowest, fixed rate out there.

Huge fan of American Express

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I have been a user of the American Express card for many, many years, and each time there is another card on the market I always make sure to apply for it. This platinum card is my favorite thus far. I love he simplicity of the brand, but I love that I can use the card anywhere and it is accepted without any hassle whatsoever. I mainly use this card for traveling, and any other arrangements I may make in preparation for traveling, because I like have a surplus of airline miles.

Customer Service
As always, and with every card I have ever had from them, the customer service department is above average, almost stellar in my opinion. They are extremely helpful every time you contact them and are always willing to go above and beyond to assist you and any way they can.

Available Rates
They have a range of rates that will suit any person or budget. I love that the card rates will fit the lifestyle of any person using the card.

Not too shabby

from Warren, MI

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

This is not my most used card but its not a bad card. I hate points and prefer rebates and lower interest as perks. This has a bit of both. The interest I would be paying if I carried a balance is a bit lower than average while still giving you a decent rebate. The rebate isn't as high as some cards but its not too bad. Also being Amex they have what feels like a more premium set of benefits and concierge. What I don't like about Amex and this card is that its not as accepted as Visa or Mastercard which makes it frustrating as I carry a limited amount of cards in my wallet. With that said this card does not always travel with me.

Customer Service
I've never had an issues with customer service. They are pretty much top notch.

Available Rates
Rates for all companies are high but they seem to be very competitive toward the customer and less competitive towards the retailer which could explain why its not as widely accepted.

Very few benefits

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I own the American Express Platinum Credit Card for almost a year now but I am not overall happy with the benefits and cost of using this card. I initially was recommended using this card from a colleague and though of purchasing it as the benefits sounded convincing to me but now I feel that it was not worth paying so much for it. The benefits they offer is not enough to even cover the annual fee of using this card. Whenever I try contacting the customer service, they never respond in time and even if they respond, their reply is not up to the mark. They offer few rewards like movie tickets and access to royal lounges at airports which is not enough for me.

They have been declining in their services and features they provide and this makes me to stop using this card soon. The only positive point of using this card is that they offer airline credits which makes me save a good amount of money as I frequently keep travelling internationally.

Amex platinum

from South Amboy, NJ

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I like the american express platinum with the flexibility that they offer. I used to have the gold card, but I switched to this card. I prefer the terms offered by the platinum card. The annual fees are less expensive than the gold card also. The payment terms are very flexible. The rewards offered by the platinum are great also.

• Available Rates:

For anyone who can discipline their credit use this one is great

from Brisbane, CA

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

They give you 4% back on gasoline purchases, 2% back on restaurants and travel and 1% back on everything else. If you spend $250/mo at Costco, the refund alone pays the difference between regular and executive memberships. The key, as with all credit cards, is not to spend more than you can afford to pay off each month. If you do, you will never pay any interest and will get back a bunch of cash at the end of the year.

Customer Service
American Express, like any other credit card, likes you if they make money on your account. There are two ways they make money. They charge the merchants by discounting your purchases, and they charge you if you don't pay the balance in full every month. So don't carry a balance, but charge everything you possibly can that you are buying anyway, to make you cash rebate bigger and if you run enough things through the card, not only is your rebate bigger, but AmEx treats you like a king because they are making a lot of money on your account.

Available Rates
All credit cards charge exorbitant rates. What's worse is they charge interest not only on the balance carried to the next month. They charge interest on the entire average daily balance. So if you charge $1001 and when the statement comes, only pay $1000, leaving a dollar owed, they charge their interest rate on the whole $1001.

• Available Rates:

Carrying an American Express card shows status.

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I have had an American Express card for 8 years and it carries a prestige that no other credit card offers. When you present it for payment the merchant gives you special service. Plus the card offers many specials available only to card holders and I have mine attached to my Air Miles card so I get air miles every time I use it.

Customer Service
Their customer service is excellent. Every time I have had a problem their telephone staff has solved it immediately. Having been a card holder for so long they treat you with respect and dignity. There are never any hold times so your call is answered quickly and efficiently. Each problem has been solved with one phone call.

Available Rates
Their interest rates are excellent. Since I carry a balance this is very important. I am sure they are open to reducing the interest rate but that would mean changing the class of card and I am quite happy with the way things are.

• Available Rates:

The perks are what makes this card so great

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

I have no idea what my interest rate is, I pay the card in full every month. My guess is that most people getting a platinum card do the same thing. With that said, you get great perks and customer service with this card. You really feel like you are valued as a card member, and they help make experiences so much more enjoyable. Customer service is awesome!

American Express Platinum Card

from Newburgh, NY

Comments about American Express - Platinum Credit Card:

The American Express Platinum Card is the card if you need only one card. While the annual fee for the card is substantial especially when you have a spouse, I found the card to be indispensable while traveling with the family on vacation. Customer Service is unmatched by any other available credit card. American Express rewards program is rated as first class, however I have noticed that competition from Visa and MasterCard rewards program are offering an array of other incentives that make their product very attractive. However, American Express Platinum Card stills carry the prestige and clout at many retailers and hotels that keeps me long-time customer of their products.

Customer Service
Customer service is excellent and beyond just good service. Each customer service representative is polite and pleasant to speak with. They are very knowledgeable about American Express and they policies. Customer service always follows up with questions or billing issues for customers and furthermore the customer is always put first.

Available Rates
American Express is pretty competitive with available rates.