Other Credit Cards:

American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card

Pros

Cons

• Available Rates:

Starwood AmEx- great service has made me a loyal user

I have had my **American Express Starwood **card for about 10 years. It is an American Express card that allows you to earn points for stays at any Starwood property (W, Westin, Regis, Sheraton, etc)-- or, you can convert your points to miles. I am hooked and use it to buy nearly EVERYTHING!**How you earn points.**You earn 1 point for every dollar spent and then double points when staying at a Starwood property.  It seems that I somehow manage to accumulate a lot of points every year.

**Annual Percentage**To be honest, I dont check out the annual percentage rate since I pay off my bills monthly-- so they might not have a compelling percentage.

**Redeeming Starwood points**Starwood has so many great hotels, that there is always a good option. You also dont need that many points to redeem for a free stay. The great thing is that when traveling through a small town on a road trip, we can easily get one or two rooms and never have to pay! I love it. Also, there are no blackout dates and free nights start as low as 2,000 Starpoints.

You can also transfer Starpoints to over 30 major airlines, almost always on a 1:1 basis.**Cost of the Starwood AmEx Card**I believe I pay $60 per year to maintain my card. It is money well spent given how many free hotel stays I have received. My husband uses the USAA points program, (he loves it!) and he often gets the airline tickets and I get the hotel stays. So, we have our bases covered. ** **

**Online Account Access**You can view up-to-date billing information online, including transactions, charges, and payments.

**Customer Service**Whenever I have had a problem, I just call customer service and they clear my account with no hassle. I very much appreciate that. I once had my account stolen by someone overseas and they managed all of the charges and it was no hassle to me at all.

**How does Starwood American Express compare to others?**I did the math at some point and from a points perspective it was overwhelmingly in support of Starwood. I havent done the math in a while. And, quite honestly, even if the math werent as in favor of them, I would still stick with them bc of their exceptional service to me.

It's going into the round file

I was overseas travelling three times last year, returning to receive the statement and paid a day or two late each time.Returning from the last trip my rate escalated to 27% plus.So sure it's my fault but haven't used the card since.

Great rewards.

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

I have had my American Express Starwood card for a year now and have loved every minute of being a card holder.

The rates are great, which I have come to expect from American Express. That paired with the awesome rewards make having this card an asset instead of a hinderance.

Another gold star for them Is how easy it is to not only get rewards but redeem them as well. Very few rewards cards can hold a candle to this one. I wish I had found out about it sooner.

Customer Service
I have had to contact customer service three times in the time since I got the card, and each time has been better than the last. They have outstanding customer service. I applaud them on there dedication to customers.

Available Rates
The rates are fantastic. Much better than other hotel themed rewards cards that I was looking into. I recommend this one for sure. It has the best rates and The best customer service of almost every card I use.

Good Card for Travelers

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

If you travel a lot this is a great card. Whether business or leisure, you can earn many many points/miles with this card. My company reimburses me for Hotel stays, so I use this card to stay at many Starwood locations. They include the Sheraton, Westin, Four Points, St. Regis and more. I can proudly say that on every domestic vacation trip with my family in the last 5 years I have not paid for a hotel room thanks to this card. Recently, I booked a stay at the Sheraton in Birmingham for 2 nights for 10,000 points.
What I dislike about this card however is the transfer rate of miles to United miles. You can only get 1 mile for every 2 points. This is a terrible ratio. With Delta for example you get a 1 for 1 ratio and if you covert 20,000 points you get 5000 miles extra. If you are a frequent United flyer like me you are better off redeeming the points for nights at hotels.
An other disadvantage is that it is an American Express card. It doesn't get accepted everywhere, which is why you should always have a Visa or MasterCard or cash with you.

Customer Service
Great customer service for credit cards, standard for American Express.

Available Rates
A little on the high side - between 15 and 20%.

• Available Rates:

This is by far my favorite card!

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

I have the American Express credit card in my wallet. This is by far the best card to use. I have received a free hotel room, and currently have 2 free airline flights. The points you receive when you use your card add up so fast. I only receive $20 or so in rewards when using other credit cards, so free flights and free hotel rooms are more valuable to me. My son travels a lot for soccer, so this card was recommended to me by a friend. I will be using this card for many years to come. I use this card for all types of purchases. American Express Starwood also has bonus features for shopping at specific retailers, such as spend a certain amount of dollars and get credit off your statement. Love that feature. The only downside to this credit card is that it does have an annual fee of I think $65.00 unless you spend $10,000 a year. Yikes, I haven't been able to do that responsibly. I mean come on American Express, I advertise all the time for you, cut me a little break on the annual fee.

• Available Rates:

If you travel, this is the card to have

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

I really like this credit card a lot. I pay my credit card balances in full each month, so interest rate is not an issue to me. I'm more interested in rewards, and this card is great if you are looking for really good hotel rewards that can be used without restriction at a lot of good hotels. I've had it for two years and been very pleased with it.

• Available Rates:

This is one outstanding card!!!

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

If you're looking for a truly amazing card, American Express Starwood Preferred Guest Card is IT!!!! It allows you to carry a balance should you not be able to pay it off every month, which meets my needs. And you get outstanding customer service with American Express, like all of the cards they offer, but the best bonus with this particular card is that you earn Starwood Preferred points with every purchase and payment made!!! You can earn points to use for traveling, like airline miles. But you can also use your points you've racked up to use towards hotel stays at some of the top rated hotels all over the world, something I've managed to take advantage of on several occasions!!! Yet another amazing advantage of using this American Express card is that the points gathered onto your Starwood Preferred account can also be redeemed for gift cards to iTunes and Amazon.com! There's nothing that this card can't do for you!!

• Available Rates:

My favorite card for everyday purchases.

from Fairfax, VA

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

The Amex Starwood card is such a gem! The number one reason it stays in my wallet, year after year, despite the annual fee, is the extraordinary value of the points. I can ALWAYS find award rooms available, and it often only costs 10,000 points per night (or less) for a top tier property, compared with Hilton co-branded cards, which still ask for 50k+ points for one night at a good property. Love this card, and Amex customer service is the very best in the industry.

American Express-Starwood Preferred Card: Earn Points for Travel

from Greenwell Springs, LA

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

We used the American Express-Starwood Preferred Credit Card several years ago when we were traveling often. I used to raise parrots and we would attend bird fairs in both Louisiana, Mississippi and Texas. This made for nice little weekend getaways and American Express-Starwood Preferred Credit Card allowed us to use our points for free hotel rooms.

In addition to getting free hotel rooms, you can also use your points for airfare or transfer points to you airline miles.

We got this card because it was interest free for the first year. After the first year the interest rate was applied, which was more than the interest charged on my Visa issued through my local credit union, so we cancelled the card.

Overall, I recommend this credit card to anyone who travels on a regular basis.

Customer Service
I never really had any problems with this card or service that called for a call to customer service.

Available Rates
Interest rates are free for the first year for this credit card and probably the biggest lure for new customers. They are average after the first year.

• Available Rates:

My main go to affinity card

from San Antonio, TX

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

I applied for the Starwood Preferred Guest AMEX card about four years ago as part of a promo offering twenty-five thousand starpoints after meeting a certain purchase amount. Since then, I've had my wife and I sign up for both the regular and the business versions of this card. I receive one starpoint per dollar spent. I've saved up my points from both purchases and sign up bonuses to convert my starpoints into several hundred thousand American Airlines miles, worth many domestic coach tickets or a few international first class tickets(which is well worth it).

The card does grant you Preferred Plus status in their Starwood Preferred Guest loyalty program, which really isn't much better than regular free membership. However, if you make over twenty thousand dollars in purchases in a year, you will automatically receive SPG Gold status for the following year. That Gold status can get you some upgrade at SPG hotels on occasion and gets you a higher multiple in SPG points per dollar spent on a SPG hotel stay. I don't actually use many of my starpoints on hotel redemptions since the government rate I can get usually make the point value less than if I transferred the points to miles. Saving up for a to be decided dream vacation in the future.

For now, I will continue to use this card for most of my purchases.

Offers best rewards value for beautiful hotel accomodations!

from Missouri City, TX

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

The American Express Starwood Preferred Guest card has been a blessing to us when we wish to stay in the best location or a comfortable hotel even in the hottest seasons or most popular destinations.  Quality rooms are so expensive, but with our points, we receive the best available rooms w no blackout periods, 5 days for the cost of 4 and free upgrades if available.

THE BEST CARD OF THEM ALL

from Dallas, TX

Comments about American Express - Starwood Preferred Guest Credit Card:

The Starwood Preferred Guest credit card from American Express is terrific.  You get a 10,000 point bonus for signing up.  And one point for every dollar you spend anywhere.  Double points at Starwood hotels.  And, you can convert 20,000 points into 25,000 airline miles at dozens of airlines.