View more inkjet printers

Epson InkJet Printer

Epson InkJet Printer

3.6

Pretty good for the price range

I actuall got the Epson CX8400 all in one printer free when I bought my new Dell pc a couple years ago.  I wasn't crazy about an all in one printer, so I had planned on selling it.  However my old printer wouldn't work with the new Window's Vista, so I was stuck with it!  As a printer it is pretty average.  I do like that it has seperate cartridges for each color, on my old printer I was stuck buying a whole new color cartridge even though only the blue was out!  In medium quality print settings it is good, I don't use the photo quality settings very often but from what I have it does a good job.  I do really like how easy it is to use the scanner.  The first time I used it I had no idea how to make it work, so I put my document in the scanner and was going to look through the owner's manual.  But, to my delight, the scan program automatically pulled up on my screen, and basically did all the work itself.  This is perfect for someone like me who doesn't know alot about computers!  It has editing features after you scan, but I have never used these...most of my copying is from craft books (so I can write on them without ruining my book!) so they don't need to be perfect.  Over all, for the price it is to buy this printer it does a good job for the average at home printer, but if you want pro results, I would suggest a better printer.

Works great... except two major annoyances - updated 2/21/2010

My husband bought the Epson Printer for 1 reason - we needed to print once in awhile.  We figured we didn't need anything fancy, and this was nice and cheap, so he picked up the **Epson Stylus CX8400**.

**Scanning**Even though I didn't think I needed a scanner, I've already used the scanner on this many many times!  It works great and is very easy so you don't even really have to know too much about scanning.  It recognizes where your picture is on the screen and automatically crops down to that size.

**Copying**I made a copy once by accident - that's how easy it was!  I put it on the thing, accidentally hit "copy" and it just started printing a copy, plain and simple.  I've since explored the other options and see the copy function has a lot of features, but I'd rather scan something so I could then print it from my computer and do anything I wanted to it.

**Printing**Up until today, all we ever printed were things like coupons and maps.  We don't need to print much.  I'm not big on photo printers because I don't believe the pictures ever come out as nice as they do if you order prints from the drug store or a photo site.  However, today I wanted to print my own Christmas Cards to save money.  I had photos on my card and found they did come out pretty nice with my cards looking like I made them in a store.  Even so, I still don't think I'd start printing actual photos on this thing, but if I ever needed one really fast it seems like it would come out ok.

The paper is fed into the top and comes out the front which is ideal because there's no crossing of paper!  My old printer had the paper tray below the output tray which made it difficult at times to feed in paper if I found out in the middle of the job that I was running out.  The paper feed being on top really works great.

**Ink**The first major flaw with this printer is the ink problem.  I thought it was just me but have since searched the net and found out it is not just a glitch, it's how the thing is supposed to work.  What happens is that when you run out of any one of the 4 cartridges, you can't print... you can't copy... you can't do anything.  Every other printer I've ever used would still print even if I was completely out of ink!  Today I printed 34.5 cards, and all I had left was the inside of 1 card.  When it told me it was out of magenta, I thought that was fine and I planned to just print the last part in black only... but the printer won't let me do that!  What a major rip off.  That means if we ever want to use this printer, we always have to have 4 ink cartridges, even if all we need is black.

**Transparency - *added 2/21/2010***I thought this printer only had one major flaw, but today I discovered another. It cannot print on transparent paper - which is something I do a lot of in my crafts. Today I put in a sheet of yellow transparent paper, the same paper I used to print all my wedding invitations at my mom's house, and it didn't recognize it at all.  It was definitely a major annoyance when I looked up Epson's help about this printer and it said "can I print on transparency paper?" with the answer simply being NO. Geez, every printer I've ever used in the past could print on any paper I put in there, but this Epson doesn't even recognize the paper when I put it in and just spits it out blank saying it has no paper.  I'm so annoyed I'm ready to see if anyone else wants this printer so I can get a new one that works better~

**Overall**Since we only were printing maps, coupons and Christmas Cards, we were dealing with the ink issue for awhile.  However now with the added transparency problem I'm ready for a change for sure!

I don't think I'd recommend this to you UNLESS you are prepared to have backup ink all the time and you don't print on different papers.  If you are simply using it for everyday normal printing, it could work.  It was real cheap compared to the rest, and it does do a decent print job, so if you can manage having an extra set of ink all the time, then go for it.  Saving a few bucks is worth the hassle sometimes, but this time I'm ready to spend a little more.

Worst printer ever. I wouldn't own another one if it was free.

from Tomball, TX

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

The printer burns through ink - even on the economy settings. I used three black cartridges before I made it through a reem of paper. It uses a lot of ink when it starts up an tests the heads. I rarely print color and the color catridges still run out quickly.

The printer is unreasonably burdensome to own. I regret purchasing it and being dumb enough to replace the ink so many times. It would have almost been less expensive to purchase a new printer each time I need to replace all the colors + black.

NEVER AGAIN EPSON!

Epson InkJet

from Austin, TX

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

The Epson CX8400 InkJet Printer is one of a kind, it has good speed and is an inexpensive printer. As the economy continues to dwindle more and more people are looking for the best and the most affordable out there, this is where the epson inkjet comes in handy with its versatile structure and competative prininting it is one heck of a bargain. It has an excecptional printing quality which is rivaled by some of the more expensive printers yet its various scan options that are built into the printer make it worth the cheap price. There are also spaces for memory slots and a usb port right in the front of the printer making it very versatile. Some of the cons include the fact that you have to take out all of the ink in order to make it work at the time which in most cases is extremely time consuming and plain annoying. With this being said I would not recommend this to the person who has money to buy a better printer.

giant ink hog

from Mount Pleasant, MI

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

This is the first color printer/scanner I have owned. The print quality is slightly above average and the scanner is a nice extra feature. The printer seems to be reliable as I've had it for several years. My biggest complaint is that this printer is a big ink hog and to further my frustration all the ink cartridges have to register as having some ink or else you can not print anything. The ink for this printer is moderately expensive and none of the ink refill places can legally refill Epson cartridges so your only two choices are to buy new cartridges or try to fill them yourself.

Next time I buy a printer I am going to look for something other than an Epson becuase I feel the operating costs are higher than they should be. I've often thought of simply buying a new printer rather than replacing my empty cartridges.For anyone looking to buy a new printer I would investigate other brands such as Kodak.

The inks cost more than the machine !!

from Palmdale, CA

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

If you don't check the settings, this printer would use your colors to make b & w copies, now that my colors are gone it won't let me print on my new black ink. I had configured this printer several ways, even taking the the empty ones out, I really don't need color copies, so what can I do??

The epson cx8400 has been the best of many printers owned by me!

from Wahoo, NE

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

Since I use my PC daily I have the tendance to need my printer everyday. My epson is such a simple printer to operate that a one button push is usuaqlly all I need to do to get the job done. It's self cleaning as far as th ink nozels are concerned and has several different photo card slots instahled in it's front for easy photo printing. It is very simple to change out the cartriges when needed and has a progrm that will align ,clean, set and adjust your ink paterns. The Epson cx8400 is a true joy to use and I don't belive I would return to any of the others I have used in the past.

Pretty good for the price range

from Milaca, MN

Print Quality is GREAT

from Salisbury, NC

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

I use my CX8400 to print out color quality photos, coupons, memos...it is very versatile. The reason I purchased this model is for the price...as you know inkjet printers are less expensive. I was so happy at how easy it was to setup and install I did not even have to ask my husband for any help! You will love it too. What did I not liek about it you ahve to always have two ink cartridges in it to print so if you accidently throw one out you cant print.

Very Handy to have

from Elmont, NY

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

I like my CX8400. It is very handy to have a copier in my own home. I usually buy a printer based on the price of the inks, not so much the printer itself. Epson inks are less expensive than HP and you can get generic inks for about half of what the Epson inks cost. And if you buy the inks in bulk they are much less expensive. Pictures come out good- they major thing with photos is the paper you asre using anyway. I have had need of photocopies, so its been really handy having it at home. And the scanner has come in handy in several ways- when documents need to be e-mailed. I took an online class where i needed to fill out a form and send it back for the course, it made things so much easier. i do agree with those people who complain that you can't use the printer if one cartridge is out of ink. It kind of defeats the purpose i had in mind when buying a printer with several cartridges. If only there were a way to print just black and white when you want to.

Epson inkjet CX8400

from Odessa, FL

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

I bought this printer because it was on sale , and it was honestly cheaper for me to buy a brand new printer that included the ink from EPSON then to rebuy this ink for my old printer, I soon threw out my old printer and I now deeply regret it . At first i loved this printer it has all features you could ask for the low price I paid for it . As soon as you start printing a lot you have to clean the nozzles almost every other time you print something I buy the smaller capcity cartridges and I'm a college student and it will barely print out 3 of my essays for school before I have to buy new cartridges. I also have an issue with having to have all the cartrdges to print something even if it is justa black and white paper. I think the scanner works great it''s a little slow but the quality comes out nice and it's extremely noisy when it prints documents and I think it's a little slow as well.

Best Printer I have ever owned Epson cx8400

from Corbin, KY

Comments about Epson InkJet Printer:

I have owned the Epson CX8400 printer scanner and copier for about 3 years now.  I bought it at office depot and got a great deal on it with my mail in rebate.  It prints pictures better then any other printer I have ever had.  I love to take pictures and when I get a picture I just pop my sd card in the printer and use the screen to print my picture.  It also has individual ink cartridges for each color.  Which I think is the best thing ever that means less waste since you are only replacing the colors you are out of at the time.  It seems easier to buy one cartridge here and there then spending a lot of money at one time.  I printed a picture of my son the other day and put it in a frame and my aunt and uncle were over and asked where I had it made and I said I took it with my camera.  My uncle said what did you do go to walmart and print it off at their kiosk I just laughed and said no I used my epson printer.  My aunt said she had never seen a picture look so good that someone printed at home.  I would be very sad if it ever tore up.  It does not use much ink either.