1,143 reviews
Dr. Brown's
Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles

Read 1,143 Reviews

Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles

Pros

• BPA free (8)
  • Durable (7)
  • Seals well (5)
  • Convenient (3)

Cons

• Difficult to wash (5)

• At home (6)
  • Feeding (4)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • First time parent (4), Parent of two or more children (4)

Thanks Dr. Brown. You made my day-- I mean, night!

My daughter was a colicky and gassy baby-- not something that I wish on anyone!  She was not a fan of breast milk, so we looked to other options. We tried nearly every baby bottle and every baby formula maker. No luck. She was still fussy.

Then, we discovered Baby's [Only Organic Baby Formula][1] , and our life changed. My daughter loved it and devoured it. Now, we just needed a way to give it to her that she would accept.

We tried several baby bottles with our son and his favorite was Dr. Brown's. We prayed that the same bottles would work with her! We had no interest in going out and buying all new bottles. We were already paying a lot for the formula.

Alas, Dr. Brown Baby Bottles delivered! They were a big hit right from the beginning-- thank you Dr. Brown.

The Dr. Brown nipple size was normal, it was easy to hold and it had a built in gas reducer. We didn't have to try the [Avent bottles][2]  and others (which my son DID NOT like)! Dr. Brown was perfect-- even for a colicky baby.

The downside to Dr. Brown's bottles are that they are expensive and require special cleaning brushes. There are so many parts (and skinny ones at that), that they are a total pain to clean. However, if I can sleep through the night-- I will clean anything!

One tip: If you are on a budget, I would buy their 3 pack. Three bottles should get you by just fine. You just need to do a lot of cleaning. Oh, and did I mention that they are quite durable-- mine have lasted over 2+ years.

Thanks, Dr. Brown. You helped me sleep through the night.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Babys-Only-Organic-Pediatric-Dairy-Formula-review-358e
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Avent-Baby-Bottles-reviews

High Maintenance and works well enough

I think one thing that every parent needs to realize is that not every baby is the same -  I know, I know what an insight!

When...Read complete review

When my baby was first born he was quite "colicky"(or had colick, was colick etc...) as they called it at the hospital.  Now let's check out what was happening in the mind of a FIRST time Mother when she heard this and had NEVER heard the name COLICK before...I thought to myself, my baby was gravely ill, sick, born with some illness that we had to fix.  I quickly asked the nurse:  "What can I give him for that?"  And she said, "nothing, just try and burp/rub him and be patient."  I thought to myself "Surely man has made SOMETHING to overcome this illness - i mean, he's just a little newborn babe just hours into this world and IT won't stop crying; whatever IT is, it's TERRIBLE and is putting this child in grave hurt/danger.  This illness MUST be severe and something MUST be done about it before his little lungs get overworked and he develops some NEW sickness or problems."

I was out of the hospital and researching this great "joy-sucker-outter-out-of-a-new-mother" and as it turned out - this was NORMAL.  PHEW.  So we went on the great search for all sort of serums, potions, acupuncturist, baby chiropractors (no we didn't really use any of those, except maybe the chiropractor thingy).  Yep, I'm getting to the Dr. Brown's bottle part....

During my pregnancy I had already chosen all my baby items (all of them well researched) and had already decided on Dr. Brown's bottles even before I knew about all this colicky stuff.  Simply because I had heard so many great things about them.  When I discovered all the "bells and whistles" that accompanied IT, I was about to throw the whole thing out.  I mean, what PARENT has the time to CAREFULLY wash and sterilize all those things?  But my husband said he would handle the bottles and we should keep them if they were supposed to be "really good."  No arguments here, I said Okay.

My son was VERY GASSY!!  He seemed to only cry at night though.  We were already using the bottles so what was causing the gas?  Well it had to be the formula,  we went through EVERY formula there was and finally lo and behold the LAST one we tried worked (how convenient).  He was lactose intolerant and the only thing that seemed to greatly relieve him was the Enfamil Lactose Intolerant formula.  It didn't mean that he wasn't gassy any more.  He was still pretty gassy up until 8-9 months or so but he was NOT crying out in PAINFUL gas any more.  And please keep in mind we were using the Dr. Brown's the WHOLE time from birth.

All in all - there were parents who swear that the bottles helped tremendously, some who say it didn't work at all and there are others like me who are saying it just depends on your child and the child's digestive tract.  When it comes to kids, keep an open mind and don't EVER rely on just ONE thing to diagnose children because even though something may work wonders right away doesn't mean it'll always remain that way either.

What I DON'T LIKE about the Dr. Brown's bottles however is how quickly it gets cracked or gets scratch marks from cleaning (even though we use the dishwasher- top rack).  And the paint with all the writings become VERY loose very fast.  If you stove top sterilize (which we did for a while because his grandparents REFUSED to use the microwave) the paint that comes loose from the bottles gets stuck to the nipples or gets inside the bottles - which means your little one could be drinking the paint!!!  So be careful and inspect them carefully after washing!  And one more thing....IT LEAKS PRETTY BAD IF YOU'RE NOT CAREFUL.  My husband and I travel with our son A LOT!!  And every time we pour milk/formula into those bottles and have had to feed our son on the plane it starts to leak!  So do not pre-fill them before you get on the plane.  If you do, be sure to unscrew the top so the air does not build up and push upward.  Also, be sure to unscrew the top when using a bottle warmer.  Once the milk gets hot and the top is not unscrewed the heat will push the air upward again and it will create a big mess in your warmer!!

The only bottle my baby would drink from

from Houston, TX

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• BPA Free
  • Convenient
  • Durable
  • Easy to use
  • Seals Well
  • Washes Easily

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

This is a fantastic bottle brand and the only bottle my baby would drink from. There are a lot of parts to clean but it definitely helps prevent her being gassy.

Perfect for tummy problems!

from Nanty Glo, PA

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• BPA Free
    • Convenient
    • Durable
    • Seals Well

Cons

• Difficult to Wash

• Heating Milk
    • Travel

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

My youngest has pretty bad tummy issues, has to be on special formula, has reflux, etc. We tried numerous bottles before trying thes . These take the cake . They're by far the most amazing bottles everrrr. My daughter hasn't had a belly ache since we switched to these. They're the consuming when it comes to washing but so worth it.

This product leaks too much

from Texas

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• BPA Free
    • Durable

Cons

• Difficult to Wash
    • Leaks

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

This bottle is good to relieve colic but if filled up to 5oz and up it leaks whenever tipped over, and not your average one two drop. I am talking as if you unscrewed the top leak. :/

The only bottle in our house.

from Boston, MA

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• BPA Free
    • Convenient
    • Durable
    • Easy to use
    • Seals Well

• Travel

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

Dr. Browns are the only bottles we use. They are durable and BPA free, and babies hardly ever swallow air due to it's unique design. Highly recommended.

I personally do not like.

from Alabama

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• BPA Free
      • Durable
      • Seals Well

Cons

• Bad Nipple
      • Difficult to Wash
      • Hard for daugher to drink out

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

My daughter just refuses to drink out of these bottles for some reason.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Good bottle that reduces gas!

from Austin, Tx

About Me First Time Parent

Pros

• BPA Free

Cons

• Difficult to Wash

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

I have been using Dr.Browns natural flow bottles for month's now as my son suffers from a tremendous amount of trapped gas on a daily basis being lactose intolerant and these seem to prevent just how much air he would be consuming with a regular bottle. The usually always clean and wash the bottles in boiling water on the stove to insure the components get very clean and sterilized as there are crannies where old milk can build up within the plastic. I love that these are made bpa free which a plus but I personally do not like how big the over 4 ounces bottles are, they are very wide in width and long and seem just too big in the hand especially for babies to try to hold but it's not a deal breaker and overall I would recommend this brand and bottle.

Works, but a PAIN

from Marion, Illinois

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• BPA Free
      • Durable

Cons

• Difficult to Wash
      • Leaks

• Milk Storage

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

I have used Dr. Brown's plastic bottles for a few months with my son. I will admit they were expensive, but they were needed for that period of time. The down fall of the bottles is that there are so many pieces to the bottles. I actually ended up losing a lot of the pieces and of the set I may have 2 complete bottles left. With all of the pieces it was a lot to wash and sterilize. Mixing in the bottles was hard! You have to put this plain lid on to combine the formula. Then you have to put the pieces on and then the nipple and then seal piece. Then finally you have to make sure you have it sealed right. The plus side to those lids? Well the plus side is you can store some formula! Which is great for middle of the night feedings grab and go! Now the huge downfall that I had with these is when I lost any pieces I would have to go out and buy a whole new bottle. They did not sell the insides separately.

Wonderful Bottles

from Fort Myers,Florida

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• BPA Free
      • Durable
      • Seals Well

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

I have purchased these bottles for nieces and my own child as well. They are wonderful.

This bottle was a lifesaver!

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

My children had the worst gas problems. This brand is amazing for making things so much easier on me when it came to gas relief.

Leak Prevention
        This bottle was amazing with leak protection, but I had to make sure that it had a good seal, or else it would leak every where.

This bottle was a bit hard to clean. It has so many little parts that had to fit together just right.

Works Well-Hard to Clean

Comments about Dr. Brown's Natural Flow Baby Bottles:

I've always been a devoted fan of Avent bottles, but when my fourth baby was born, he struggled with feeding and often choked and gagged throughout the day and night. We tried many different bottles to no avail. When he was hospitalized for failure to thrive due to refusal to eat at 2 months of age, the feeding therapist brought us a Dr Brown bottle to try to see if it would help him eat more. We started using it while in the hospital and it seemed to help him not swallow so much air when he ate. It didn't increase the amount he was able to eat, but at least what he did eat was more comfortable for him. When he was 6 months old, I gave the Avent bottles a try again and immediately, he started gagging and throwing up more often and needed to have his G Tube vented more often. I went back to the Dr Brown bottles and his symptoms improved. Dr Brown bottles definitely work for my son! The only complaint I have is that they're very hard to keep clean and have a lot of tiny crevices and areas that can only be cleaned with a special Dr Brown brush or a pipe cleaner.