3.5
Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard

Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard

3.5

The card of the future.

Upromise is a great program, and this card will certainly help you towards saving money in that program.  The bonus you get for gas and groceries is nice, although that comes from buying certain brands/products.  Yes, the interest rate is a bit high, but that is typically the case for rewards credit cards.  I wouldn't recommend a rewards credit card for people who keep any kind of significant balance on their cards.

One really awesome feature available to account holders through the card's web site is a program called Virtual Account Numbers.  This program works for any transaction that does not require you to actually show the card to someone (Internet/telephone).  It generates a "virtual" account number that is different from the actual number on your card, but will work when you use it.  You can even put a limit on that number so that you cannot be overcharged.  This feature alone is reason enough to get the card.

Upromise Mastercard - Just say NO!

Why oh why do I still have this credit card?  I ask myself that often and don't have a very good answer other than I don't want the hassle of changing it because it's linked to my Exxon/Mobil Speedpass.

While I really love the [Upromise][1] program, I think that the **Citi Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard** is not worth obtaining nor using.  There are many more reward credit cards out there with better benefits.

I've had this card for three years and have earned exactly $133.49 in my Upromise account.  That doesn't include the whopping $1.64 that I earned this month on my $164.44 balance.

I'm all about FREE money (see my review on the [Upromise][2] program), but paying *a lot* of money to receive *very little *money is not what I had in mind.  If you do the math above, you can figure out that I spent over $13,000 to earn a paltry $133.49 that went into my Upromise account.  If you think that's a great return, I have some land at the North Pole to sell to you.

I have a good-sized credit line, a decent interest rate at 10.99%, and no annual fee with this credit card.  However, that said, the **Citi Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard** really does not benefit me.  I would be better off paying cash for my purchases and depositing money directly into my children's savings accounts.

Unless you tend to make major purchases on a regular basis, I would pass on this credit card.  The .01 cash back that goes into your Upromise account, is not worth it.  You can do much better on other reward cards.

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Upromise--115220-reviews
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Upromise--115220-review-74826

The early bird gets more worms!

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

I decided to take advantage of the opportunity to save for college while my kids are still young. Initially, I didn't think I'd be approved. The good things about the Upromise Platinum Card is that the grocery stores and other drug stores offer a higher cash back rate. As far as the cash back from other purchases like regular stores and gas though, are hardly worth the effort. They do add up over an extended amount of time. I guess it depends on how much you use the card. I have learned that the best way to go for my family is to use the card for everything possible and then pay the balance in full at the beginning of the next billing cycle. That way I earn way more than I end up paying in fees. This credit card is all about knowing how and when to use it and of course, not building up a major balance that you can not pay off. It's definitely worth getting and it's best to make your move while your children are still young so you can have even more peace of mind when college time rolls around.

• Customer Service:
  • Available Rates:

Citibank Upromise Visa - a fast and easy way to save for college

from Harrisburg, PA

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

The Upromise Citibank Visa is a good way to save for college. By using the Upromise Citibank Visa money is deposited into an account that can be used to pay college tuition and other related college costs. There are hundreds of businesses and services that are affiliated with the Upromise Citibank Visa which it makes it easy to save. I use my Upromise CitiBank Visa exclusively so that I can build a college fund for my children.

Spend money and get money toward a college education

from Greenwich, NY

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

I signed up for the Upromise Citicard to increase the amount of money I can contribute toward my daughter's college education.  She's only 10 but you can never start too early.  This card is terrific.  They follow through with their promises.  I added over $135 the first year to her NYS529 plan.  Like all credit cards, it's a smart idea to pay the balance off each month.  After all, with this card, the more you have available the more you can spend and the more you can earn rewards.

Great way to save for college!

from San Gabriel, CA

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

Upromise is a great way to save for college, instead of the cheesy rewards that most cc companies offer, or the 1% cash back that you know you'll spend before you save, the 1% reward that you get goes directly to your child's 529 account. You can also shop through the links on their website for additional savings. For instance, I love Gap, and by shopping through the link on Upromise I get 2% additional savings! All in all, if you can remember to use it it's a great way to save!

unless you're a shopaholic it's a NO

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

The amount U-promise takes out and puts into savings from your card is so minimal it will be worth almost nothing by the time your child starts college. Inflation and your spending habits affect the outcome greatly. I've been using this for over 10 years and still there's only 10 dollars in my child's savings. Even looking specifically for the upromise labelled goods which are almost never on sale or the best valued items. It would be better to set up a savings account, maybe with Gerber life, and put in 5-10 dollars out of every paycheck until they are college ready. It's free but a waste of time.

As credit cards go, upromise is mediocre.

from Pewaukee, WI

Upromise Credit Card.

cons: short time to meet balance due date (less than 20 days);  cust service not helpful in removing late fee when only day late; charges high fee to `maintain' 529 plan; low maximum amount allowed per year; minimal amount that you actually `get back'

pros:  529 plan; some vendors give good points

The frequent "date due" changes are designed to make you "late."

from Oconomowoc, WI

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

Their fees are exhorbitant, and they play A LOT of games with the due date. Check it EVERY SINGLE MONTH. Once you've been late once, they jack your rates sky high. They are far and away the worst creditor I've had to deal with yet.

Upromise Mastercard - Just say NO!

[1]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Upromise--115220-reviews
[2]: http://www.viewpoints.com/Upromise--115220-review-74826

The card of the future.

from Lafayette, LA

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

A card that helps pay off school loans is a great idea.

from Golden, CO

Comments about Citi - Upromise Platinum Select MasterCard:

I use my UPromise card for most of my purchases.  I wish a larger percent of my purchases was going toward the school loan, but any amount is good.  I am going to make the charges anyway, so I might as well have a card that will help pay down the school loan.

Mary