3.3

3.3

Pros

Cons

Never Earned a Diamond Reward, But I did Get a $50 Gift Card

In my opinion, credit cards are a great convenience but they can also make it easier to spend more than you intended.  For that reason, I almost never carry a balance but I do use the card for most of my spending in order to get the reward points. I didn't seek out the **Citibank Diamond Preferred MasterCard** by comparing rewards cards.  It just so happened that I had been a Citi Card customer for years, and they upgraded me to the card when it came out.  I've been pretty happy with my Citibank card, and find no reason to switch. My Citibank account can be accessed online, where I can pay my bill, check my activity, access a virtual account number, and see my monthly rewards activity.  From the Citibank website, I can click straight through to the ThankYou Rewards Network website.

The ThankYou Rewards Network is the place where I begin my online shopping.   There is a directory of online merchants where you can earn bonus points.  For example, if I click on the link to Overstock.com, I will earn 4 points per dollar instead of just 1 point per dollar.  It makes it quicker for me to reach my goal of 6000 points.  Of course, there are rewards for as low as 1500 points for a Newsweek subscription (if you're really impatient), or as much as 280,000 points for a Sony HDTV (if you have the patience of a saint).  As for me, I stop at 6000 because that's enough for me to get a $50 gift card.  It usually takes me about 6 to 8 months to earn enough for a gift card.  I typically select a Target card, but I've also gotten cards from Home Depot, Barnes and Noble, Marshalls, and T.J. Maxx.  I've always received my gift cards in the mail promptly with no problems.

I don't go out of my way to spend money just to get a few rewards points, but if I'm going to buy something anyway, I always use my **Citibank Diamond Preferred MasterCard**.  It may not be a million dollar reward, but it's always nice to get a free $50 gift card a couple of times per year.

Diamonds are a girl's best friend? Yah, RIGHT!

A few years ago, I received an offer from Citibank for the **Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard**.  In truth, I didn't really need an extra card but this was during that Halcyon period of my life when I still nursed major renovation plans for my kitchen and I figured it would be useful to have an extra source of credit for such a project.  So I applied for the pre-approved card and -- almost as an afterthought -- phoned these people to see what kind of cash-back incentive they were offering.  Imagine my surprise when the answer was **"Nothing!"  ** I was surprised as it has been years since I've used a credit card which did not reward me in some way but I'm notorious about not reading the fine print and now the deal was done and the card was on its way.  Since I wasn't going to actually use it much, the lack of rewards didn't really matter.  I just stowed the card away and forgot about it.

**TIME MARCHED ON ...**

Occasionally, I will use the **Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard** for something, including the contract I signed with The Neptune Society a couple weeks ago.  After I'm dead, the Neptune Society will respond to somebody's call and "take care of me" in the way I have chosen ... but first, I'm going to have to pay for that.  In the due course of time, when my **Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard** bill showed up, I was surprised to see that my purchase had earned $190 worth of **Citibank Extra Cash** for my month's purchases.

It was an eye-opening experience which attracted my attention to something I had been ignoring all this time ... the fact that it looked like **Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard** had come up with a cash-back system after all!  I was able to search through the separate site that governs the program and was greatly cheered by the $613 which had accrued in my **Citibank Extra Cash** account.  It looked like they had rewarded me with 10% cash on everything, including $100 each year on my birthday! Without bothering to check the fine print again, I called my best friend and filled her in on the news, than walked over to the 7/11 and back, planning all the way how I was going to spend that $613.  Later that night, I decided to redeem my prize.  Yah, **RIGHT!**

**MY VIEWPOINT:**

**"Nothing!"** described **Citi Diamond Preferred Mastercard's** reward system three years ago, and that holds true today.  I have not earned $613 that can be redeemed or returned to me.  **There is no extra cash here at all. ** All I have is $613 which can be used as $10 discounts on merchandise or gift cards which somebody wants me to buy.  That's not going to happen but what IS going to happen is that I'm warning you now to learn from my experience and use another credit card instead.

Customer Service
I've had limited experience with this aspect, thank God, but it doesn't seem to be bad.

Available Rates
I try to pay it off as fast as I can to avoid considering this too much so I haven't really noticed if it's a good deal.

Horrible service and No Compasionate

from atlanta, ga

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

I signed up to get this card after receiving a promo in the mail. I called and got approved for 500.00 ( which was way below my other limits) I got the card in the mail and began to make purchases. I am a 1st time card holder and was not aware of my 1st payment due. I received a call stating my payment was due and it was late. I apologized and made the payment immediately. I asked the rep if I can get a 1 time late fee credited. They stated to let the payment post then call back and ask for the credit. I have called back and chatted with a rep and they still will not provide a 1 time credit. They do not feel or have any compassionate with 1st time card holders. I will pay off the 500 and close my account.

Citibank you are horrible and I am dissatisfied with your service! I would not recommend anyone to get one of your cards EVER!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

i want t use it agian

from ca jon

very good

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

This card isn't lucrative for the average spender.

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

I've had my card for quite a few years now and I just don't get what all the hype is about. Typically you only earn a point for every dollar spent, and sometimes even less. There are a lot of restrictions and limitations on what earns you cash. Also, not every store you make purchases at is programmed in and if their system doesn't recognize a local restaurant under the food category, you may not even be eligible for earning points on your food, even if you just spend $118 on a four person dinner. The rewards card is good if you're a business person and someone else is fronting the bill because there's no ideology in your head that you must spend to make those points.

The points do accumulate but it takes a significantly long time to earn them. I was surprised to learn of the restrictions too. I had been planning a beach trip and thought I would apply my points towards my hotel stay. It turns out, I couldn't book a full week of my hotel and use my reward points I earned for three nights free. I had to book for three days for free, then book again for the remaining four days of my trip on my own card and then it wouldn't let through the hotels computer because my credit card was on file for another stay and I had to show ID in person or fax a copy in. It was just a pain. I ended up booking for three nights to use my points, and then we tried to book in person and were informed the room we were in would need to be changed (they wouldn't let us keep our same room even after I called and explained the situation before we left our home state). I know the hotel was abiding by hotel policy but it wasn't worth our hassle with this card. I did get my three nights in the hotel, but now I just redeem my points towards items that are overpriced in points. I usually redeem for household items, headphones, or clothes items.

Customer Service
Customer service tried to help with the hotel issue but because of hotel policies and card limitations, there wasn't much to be done.

Available Rates
The card itself hasn't given me any issues. The interest rate on my card has barely went up at all and I always pay off my full balance within a couple days or week of making a purchase.

I'm Not Sure What "Diamond Preferred' Means

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

The Citi Diamond Preferred Card I have is the one card I use more than any others. I haven't used it for the rewards at all, but would consider doing so if the rewards were more suitable to the type of products I like. They aren't bad quality items..Just not items I feel compelled to purchase. With that being said, I still see this card as a great asset to my financial needs.

Customer Service
I have always had excellent encounters with the customer service department. I've had very few issues where I needed to contact them which I see as positive customer service, in and of itself.

Available Rates
I currently have a rate that I believe is very good for my needs. It makes me less apprehensive about pulling out this card first when it comes to making a purchase, or paying a bill when I'm running low on cash. I like it too that Citi Diamond Preferred extends offers now and again for reduced interest balance transfers and purchases.---this reduction in addition to an already favorable rate. I would highly recommend this card to anyone considering a new credit card.

• Available Rates:

Decent credit card with mediocre rewards

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

I originally applied for this credit card because there was an offer for zero percent interest on a balance transfer. I had never had a credit card through Citi before, and there was no particular reason to choose this one, other than I saw an advertisement for it and was looking for a balance transfer offer. The interest rate was comparable to other credit cards. If you're looking for a rewards card that offers cash back, this isn't the card for you. The rewards offered with this credit card work a little differently. You are given points, something comparable to other credit card rewards at 1-5% depending on where you use the card. You can then use the rewards on the Citi Easy Deals website. There you can cash in your points to put toward gift cards, coupons, and a wide variety of merchandise. However, for most rewards, you use a certain number of points and then have to pay cash. For instance, they offer $100 gift cards for which you cash in points, but have to pay $90, so it's like getting 10% off the gift card. There are also gift card auctions. They are actually quite nice. For some, you have to pay a bit of cash, others you get by using points only. But you have to hope your bid is the highest. These are pretty tough to win. They also have a Daily Deal, where they have a certain piece of merchandise, again where you use points and pay some cash. The best Daily Deals are gift cards. You can cash in 5 points for a $5 gift card (a steal!), or 5 points plus $5 for a $10 gift card. You have to be logged in and get it right at noon. The gift cards go fast. The Daily Deals are the best rewards they offer. The rest simply aren't worth it. Haven't had any negative issues with customer service. Overall, decent credit card, mediocre rewards.

• Available Rates:

Not a "diamond" in the rough

from Sacramento, CA

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

I had ownd the Citi Diamond Preferred Rewards Master Card for many years. Throughout those years it appeared to me that the rewards program was totally unintelligible. The informing material was either absent or conflicting. The customer service folks could not really explain the structure to me. Rewards were often offered in such a way as to make them seemingly worthless. I found it an overall frustrating experience to even try to figure out when and if I received rewards and what they were worth. The terms of the card also changed quite regularly.

For me this all added up to more work than reward. Because there are many attractive alternatives in the marketplace, I elected to stop using my card. The company responded to my sudden lack of activity by calling me and explaining I would be charged a fee for the inactivity or alternatively they would raise my interest rate. When I tried to get a clear understanding and clarification from customer service, it immediately became apparent that customer service as a misnomer. Customer disservice would be the more appropriate title. Needless to say, I cancelled the card. To add insult to injury, they then flood me with card offers that were lower than what they quoted me that they would charge me when I had the status of one of their long term card holders. Frankly, that sealed their fate with me for good. I will not be selecting them as a creditor again!

Decent card - Worthless Rewards

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

Pretty good card with a good zero balance offer. The CITI Rewards program is a joke. Nothing of real value. They offer unpopular products at high prices. The points give you a tad of a discount. Look elsewhere if you want rewards.

Customer Service
Pretty good, they answer the phone in a timely manner.

Zero percent is awesome!

I Love This Card!

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

This is the only credit card that I use because I can accumulate points. I then redeem these points for gift cards. The selection of gift cards is numerous. I can get Walmart, Best Buy, Staples, Olive Garden, Home Depot, Lowes, Bed Bath and Beyond and many more gift cards. I charge all of my gas, food, pay bills, etc and then pay it off in full at the end of the month to avoid any interest charges Since there is no yearly fee, this is the perfect card for me.

Customer Service
They have excellent customer service. One time I had an authorized charge and they immediately removed it from my account. They are very good at protecting their customers. I also have the citi identity monitor program (there is a small monthly fee for this service) which alerts you to any unauthorized credit applications or checks in your name.

Available Rates
Since I pay this one off every month I really don't pay much attention to their rates, but I would imagine they are in line with everyone else.

• Available Rates:

Good rewards card with options for redeeming them.

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

I got this card because you can't redeem the rewards for cash, you can redeem them for gifts cards. It is a straight 1% with periodic opportunities for more. It is okay, but I have decided that I prefer the flexibility of cash back.

Customer Service
No issues with their customer service department.

Available Rates
It is a rewards card, so it has a higher rate than other cards.

• Available Rates:

rewards are decent, on par with most

Comments about Citi - Diamond Preferred Rewards MasterCard:

You get a decent reward with this card, basically one percent of your spending. However, the rewards are a bit pricey when you go to convert them and cash in for something from their website. With that said, the card is great in that it offers concierge and a lot of other nice little perks that a lot of cards have cut.