View more stereo speakers

Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker

Bose 201: Surprizingly good sound for the money

from Jacksonville, FL

Bose 201: Surprizingly good sound for the money

I recently bought these speakers as part of adding a home theater system to a spare room in our house.

I have these paired with a yamaha rx-v567 receiver that does 7.1 surround sound. The bose 201 are basically the front left and right speakers.

I use the setup to actually to more music than watch movies. I have been pretty happy with the performance and sound quality that these bose 201's put out. For the size of speaker, they put up a rather large sound stage and the clarity of instruments is good. They seem to be very well suited for playback of concert or live music type material.

For a 2 way speaker, I also noticed that these speakers have low distortion. You can actually get them to a pretty loud sound level and you dont hear speaker sounds that I noticed in speakers from other companies like the chugging of the bass port or the tweeter getting too harsh to listen to.

These BOSE 201 speakers make you feel like you're at the movies!

from Norwood, MA

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

As I am sure is the case with all BOSE speakers, these really deliver on bass and surround sound. I knew that any speakers from BOSE would deliver, but what I didn't expect is to get full surround sound without a bass module that comes with other speakers from BOSE.  We opted to wall mount ours, wall brackets are sold seperatately, we mounted them on either side of our couch. Now, we have the full surround sound of a movie theatre right in our own house!

bose is awesome

from Daytona Beach, FL

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

I bought a set of these speakers back in may from the best buy in my town of daytona beach. If you are looking for some great quality speakers then this is deffinately a good choice. the sound quality that comes out of these things is amazingly clean crisp and clear. the price for the bad boys is a great deal for the quality of the speakers. deffinately well worth every penny. the performance is extremly nice as well as the dynamic range. i have been buying boes speakers since i was little and i have never been let down in all them years. I highly recommend these speakers to anyone who likes great sound in their living room or bedroom. i even got a couple pairs and put them out on the pool deck. that served to be an exccelent choice especialy when company and family comes over and we have a grill out. I think it helps to lighten up the mood in everyone when the music is playing on these awesome speakers. not to sound redundant but again these speakers are a real deal.

awesome speaker

from Bakersfield, CA

Pros

Cons

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

i just recently bought the bose speaker system and i must say this is a incredible product my husband has many many speakers but none can compare to this one.some music sounds so awesome when i use these speakers at first i wouldnt like a song till i use it on these speakers it sounds alot crisp and clear i couldnt imagine using any other one.it has full rich sound that makes you in awe!it has avery great performance i use it all the time.the price is also great the only thing it doesnt fit in tight or small spaces.i dont have much room in my house so i was hopeing to fit these some where easy but nopei had to move things around so they would fit but other than that they ar eamazing.i would definitly recommend these to family,friends and some of my coworkers.a few of them had already had them in there house i went to a coworkers house who had a party and they had these and it sounded awesome which it the main reason i purchased these

The Bose speaker makes seem like live performance!

from Denver, CO

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

The Bose 201 V main stereo speaker makes music sound live live performance which makes it great.  You can heard the music in the whole room and is has great quality.  They are the best speakers ever that's why if you want the best you should buy it!

Decent sound, Nicely priced

from Lebanon, OR

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

Have these in the corners of my living room.  Don't take up a lot of space and sound pretty good for the size.  Someday I will have to add a Bose subwoofer because these don't  get too loud when turning the music up.  I recommend if you are short on space and require decent performance.

Average buy

from New York, NY

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

Creates a listening environment composed of reflected and direct sound, much like that in a theatre or a live performance. Use with your main stereo speakers, the 201 V main sterio speakers create a much more rich balance of stereo sound throughout the room. To me, personally, they sounded a lot better at home than they did at the store, with their 30 ft ceiling and other noises surrounding the store. You cannot get an accurate sound from these compared to your living room. Even when cranked up louder, these put out just as good as my other big Sony speakers. What is missing possibly is a seperate subwoofer, but these babies do just fine rattling the walls. With my equalizer in play, I can get easy optimal sound experience whether im listening to my CDs, radio, DVD movies, etc. These perform above my expectations and I am very glad I purchased them. Even with the simple design and technology used to build the speakers, I am extremely impressed with the sound quality.

Bose has The most amazing sound quality

from Boynton Beach, FL

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

You cant find this amazing sound quality on any other speaker. This is a one of a kind instrument that produces the sounds of angels. You are truly getting your money's worth! It sounds like its filling the room as if you are in the music itself. These are truly quality speakers. The speakers have great sound quality, i actually watch movies with mine. Great for outdoor entertainment as well as parties. You dont have to worry about the bass because, bose delivers! For game systems, it is fully compatible and will give you the best sounds for video game action. HD electronics are also useful for bose producs. Hey guess what? Its also Ipod compatible! Its great for Ipod and mp3 players, so you can never really get enough of BOSE! The only downside to this amazing quality is that its expensive. But it will be a great invesment to your electronics, Tv etc. In comclusion The bose has the most amazing quality you really can't find anywhere else!

entry level stereo speakers with gorgeous sound

from Clearwater, FL

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

Fifteen-plus years ago, during a great party I threw out of my apartment at the time, the mid-range cone in one of my stereo speakers finally gave up the ghost. I made a nominal effort to repair it, but the cone's requirements were very specific, and a replacement part was not to be found.

Near despondent and on a limited budget, I set out looking for a new pair of speakers.

I found my Bose® 201® Direct / Reflecting® speakers, and I have been happy with them ever since. (At the time, they were at Series II; currently, Series V is being sold and is pictured in the primary photo of this review. I can only imagine how much better they must sound, given advances in technology.)

They're great for all kinds of music and for movies in stereo (beating the sound quality of most surround systems I've heard), featuring an incredible clarity of sound and an impressive dynamic range, from quiet passages in classical music to pounding rhythms in dance music cranked way up.

These speakers are considered "bookshelf" speakers, meaning they're not meant to be free standing (the sound would be muffled by furniture and such at ground level) but rather placed on furniture.

My only nitpick with these speakers is entirely minor. Because of their lateral design (each speaker's cones are aligned one beside the other rather than in a traditional vertical configuration), when placing them for best effect you need (1) to make sure each speaker has clearance toward the "outside" (i.e. you're muffling some of the sound if you place one with its side against a wall) and (2) to consider symmetry of the relative placement of the pair relative to the primary locus of listening. That being said, those are both considerations with any pair of stereo speakers, though of relatively greater importance to the 201® due to their "on the side" design. I suspect however that a lot of the brilliance of their sound is leveraged from this same design (i.e. the directional separation of ranges of frequency).

Frankly, they sound better than any other set of stereo speakers in the same price range; in fact, the compete favorably with Bose's own 301® line except in extremes of performance.

The Bose 201 is well worth the price

from Oxford, CT

Comments about Bose - 201 V Main Stereo Speaker:

The Bose 201 Direct Reflecting Speaker is well worth the sale price.I purchased my pair in 1985.I used them with my home stereo system until they became my bench test speakers when I opened my repair shop in 1996.They handle plenty of power and provide a natural sound.Some of the Grille components have deteriorated over the years,but I still have them now in 2010.Bose has been a High Quality Manufacturer for many years.I installed several Companion systems over the years as a Satellite/TV Dealer.In the late 1990's I worked on a Bose Outdoor Stadium System for a 1/2 mile NASCAR Speedway.The speakers were mounted on 100' poles,a motorized man lift was needed for access.Due to Lightning damage,a few drivers needed to be replaced.The Bose AM-5 System was my best seller in the Home Theater Business,I did not make a big profit.I always installed the systems for my customers for proper performance.