4.1
Black & Decker
Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker

Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker

4.1

This Black and Decker Rice Cooker is a little Gem!

Rice is good for you but many people seem to have a problem cooking it. Rice cookers are used by restaurants to cook and hold rice at the right temperature for serving, so why shouldn't you have one at home? I had a Black and Decker RC 400 Type 1 for about ten years. I used it at least once a week and was very happy with it. When it died several months ago I deliberately sought out another Black and Decker rice cooker. I looked for one that looked as much like my old one as possible. This is what I found that seemed to fit the bill. The technical designation of this one is the RC 3406 but most places that sell it seem to call it "3 Cups Uncooked Yields 6 Cups Cooked Rice Cooker". As my old one did, it comes with a plastic scoop for measuring the rice - I hesitate to call it a " cup" because it does not really hold the equivalent of an eight ounce cup. If you fill it to the line (NOT to the top) it holds 2/3 of a cup or just barely over 5 1/4 ounces. The instructions with the rice cooker tell you to use 3 measures of rice. That amount of rice will yield 6 cups of cooked rice. This one has a non-stick pan and comes with a steamer insert, neither of which my old one had. I appreciate the non-stick surface. I have not yet used the steamer insert. The scoop for measuring the rice and the rice paddle are exactly like the ones I got years ago with the RC400, so now I have two of each of those. I have used the RC 3406 twenty five or thirty times since I got it and I have not had any problems with it, other than, like its predecessor, it has a tendency to spit out a starchy "goo" around the lid and the steam vent. You can wrap a towel around the top to catch the goo if it bothers you. It cooks the rice, automatically flips to "warm" when the rice is done. The rice does not stick. It handles brown rice exactly the same as any other type of rice and I do tend to cook different varieties - jasmine, basmati, black japonica, Calrose, Texmati, pretty much any rice that is not touted as "instant" or "quick cooking". This little cooker handles them all beautifully and it's easy to clean and store. How could anything beat that?

Average, but - just that.

I bought this after the rice cooker pasted down from my mother (after 15 years) died.  My previous rice cooker always made perfect rice everytime.  This one?  No...Read complete review

I bought this after the rice cooker pasted down from my mother (after 15 years) died.  My previous rice cooker always made perfect rice everytime.  This one?  No perfect rice yet.

If you aren't overly concious about your rice or you make it infrequently, you won't mind this pot.  One of my big reasons for not making rice on the stove (and wanting a rice cooker obviously) is that it can sometimes be hard to get consistent heat cooking on cheap stoves and the desire to not have to worry or watch rice as it cooks (key to perfect rice!)  A good rice cooker takes the guesswork and timing out it - which should in theory get you the perfect white rice.

In my experience this machine has a serious tendency to burn rice, beyond that lovely brown rice crust that is fight worthy in some countries.  I am talking serious burnt so much you tasste in the rest of the rice burnt.  In order to avoid this (even when you are taking the rice straight out without using the keep warm feature) you must add more water.  I've been playing around with water ratio's for the past 5 yrs.  I have yet to find the right quanities.  You either have a ton of wasted burnt rice on the bottom or you have mushy rice.

The first month I purchased this I had thought it was just the pot.  The store was nice enough to exhange it.  I still have the same issues. If you are not overly picky about the quality of your rice and just want the convience... you may not have any issues with this.  Knowing good well cooked rice like I do... this pot is just a disapointment.

also, beware of the lid.  This will spew starchy rice everywhere as it cooks.  It you cook more then a cup or two of rice it will make a major mess.

Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker - great quality

from East Brunswick, NJ

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I use my Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker nearly everyday! I am an avid rice eater, and I don't know how I would do without my rice cooker. It is just the most convenient kitchen appliance ever invented.

The Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker is a great brand name. I buy a lot of Black & Decker products as I know they will last a long time and will provide good quality at a decent price.

The Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker makes really fluffy rice, and you can add vegetables or spices as needed without worrying about them sticking to the bottom. The non-stick coating has lasted me well even though I use this appliance daily. I am careful to use plastic or wooden spoons always, though. There are times I have left the cooker on long after the rice is cooked, and I have never noticed any burnt rice build-up at the bottom.

All in all, I am really happy I bought the Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker, and recommend it to all my friends.

** **

Best Timesaver!

from Oakland Gardens, NY

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

To be perfectly honest, I really could not tell you how to boil and cook rice in a pot, the way almost everyone did it not too long ago. This has to be attributed to this little, but super amazing rice cooker. All I do is put in equal parts of rice and water, and voila! No longer than 30 minutes later, I have perfectly cooked rice! As a tip, I do wash the rice before I put it in the cooker with the water. This Black and Decker model is well priced and does the job well - there's a small sound that it makes when the rice is done and the rice will be kept warm until you shut off the cooker. Other cookers I've had (cheaper models) will sometimes burn the rice on the bottom or have the rice overflow from the top, but this one works well for all intents and purposes!

not bad

from Milwaukee, WI

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I have owned the Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker for approximately 4 years now, and I have been using it less and less. I used to use it because I was lazy and it was easy to use, but as ive grown older I find I am able to make better rice on the stove-top. I feel that there is too much of a tendancy to just "forget" about the rice you are cooking with a rice cooker, which leads to more burned rice. Regarding this unit specifically, it is easy to use with only a few buttons. You have to make sure you really measure out how much water you want to put in, because if you put in too little, you will definitely burn your rice. This unit may be more prone to burning rice because it heats the bowl from below, instead of from all sides (like a more expensive unit may be able to do). Otherwise, I have been moderately happy with this unit for as little as it costs. It also makes enough rice for 2-3 people.

I like it!

from Addison, IL

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

I think Black and decker makes pretty good quality products. And this rice cooker falls into that category! Pretty good! It is very convienient and handy! The rice everytime I have made it has come out satissfactory. It's definitely a heck of a lot easier than boiling rice on the stovetop and waiting forever and then somtimes having the rice be to hard or too liquidy. This rice cooker is pretty straight forward and almost anyone could operate it. The six cup rice maker is a perfect size for my little family of two. You might want to go for a bigger quantity size if you have a bigger family. Rice cookers are gret if you are someone who makes slot of rice. My Asian friend once told me that every asain who cooks Asian food has rice with almost evry meal and that every Asian should own a rice cooker in their home! Laugh out loud, how funny. But how practical too. If you don't want to be waiting forever for your rice to cook and you want a fool proof way to make rice, then this is definitely a product you want to invest in! Like I said, I've always been satisfied with my results when using this rice cooker. I'm no sure about how much this costs in store however because this was a gift. But I can't imagine them running you up too badly. Especially since this is only a six cup rice maker and not a larger one like a twelve cup rice maker.

Nice...

from Gaithersburg, MD

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

This is my third rice cooker and so far it works well...My previous rice cooker was horrible to clean and scorch rice on bottom...so i am searching for a rice cooker for a long time and found this one..But this one is very good...it is very easy to use and clean...when the rice is done it will automatically turn off and keep the rice warm...this rice cooker makes great tasting hydrated rice very fast...For this reasonable price its quality is good and well worth the money...The cord is enough long to use and great quality...This is the best rice cooker for this price...till now i had any problems with this one..i think it is enough durable for a long time...i would love to recommend this product to others...A great buy for a reasonable price...

Messy & overcooks rice!

from Katy, TX

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

When I was in college, my roommate had a rice cooker and I loved it because for some reason when I cook rice on the stove, I can never get it right. When I was getting married, I registered for this Black & Decker rice cooker. I didn't know much about what to look for in a rice cooker, but I knew I wanted one, and I figured Black & Decker was a reliable brand. I think they should stick to other appliances. I was very disappointed in this model. I would say that 90% of the time, the rice was overcooked and would burn to the bottom. I followed the directions exactly and had the same results over and over again. The top part was fine, but the bottom part was not edible. While it was cooking, it would also emit a sticky, steamy mess that would cover the counter with a residue that was difficult to clean. After less than a year of use, this rice cooker went out with a bang, literally. It began smoking and sparking. So, maybe I had a faulty model, but I was not impressed and would not recommend it.

Black & decker rice cooker makes perfect, fluffy rice.

from Millburn, NJ

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

The Black & decker 6 cup rice cooker is such an effiecient and fast way of cooking rice. No more cooking rice on the stove top , waiting for the water to boil and checking if it is done everytime. This little rice cooker makes rice perfect and fluffy every single time without all the hassle of stove top cooking . It also comes with a steamer basket, a measuring cup . I use the steamer basket for steaming vegetables , the come out nice and cooked . The inner bowl has a non stick coating which makes it easy to clean. Rice does not stick to the bottom and cleaning is so much more easier. Also once the rice is cooked fully, it automatically switches to the keep warm function. So I can just plug the rice cooker on and go without having to worry about checking on it if the rice is done. This is a very versatile and easy to use rice cooker and no matter how much rice you need to cook , one cup , two cops or six , Just follow the instructions and you are good to go ! Love it !

Not a fan

from Springdale, AR

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

Having lived in Japan I have seen my share of Rice makers and this one is not my favorite. My dad has had the same rice maker for 20 years now and he loves it. It cooks evenly and always produces nice sticky Japanes rice and it never sticks to the pan (his he bought as an asian supermarket years ago). I bought this when I left home and found it to be a pain. It cooked my rice really nicely one time and the next my rice was crunchy. It always adherred the rice to the insert pan and I had to soak the pan for a day or two (my roommates hated it when I did this... leaving my dirty dish in the sink). I finally stopped using it and found a good old fashioned pan worked better and cleaned up faster. I would NOT recommend this one.

Great little rice cooker!

from Eagle River, AK

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

We registered and received this rice cooker for our wedding over six years ago. I use it about once a month and it is still in perfect working order. It easily cooks up a single cup of rice or six cups of rice. I love that versitility! It never burns or crunches the rice, but keeps it warm and fluffy if you follow the correct rice/water measurements. Sometimes I use chicken broth instead and it cooks that fine too.

I didn't expect it to last this long, but it has and is showing no signs of slowing down!

It is easily washable in the dishwasher, not sure if that was recommened or not, but it works fine! Much easier than handwashing and the cooker as whole is just wonderful-I'll never cook rice on the stovetop in a pan again!

Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker is a gem!

from West Hartford, CT

Comments about Black & Decker RC3406 6-Cup Rice Cooker:

We purchsed the Black & Decker 6-Cup Rice Cooker after many years of using a three-cup, drugstore model. With two growing boys, three cups of rice per meal was just not doing the job. After owning it for about six months, I have to say we are very happy with the purchase. The rice it cooks is light and fluffy, much better than what we were used to, even with using bargain basement rice. What has impressed me most is how the non-stick coating has really hung in there. We have been careful to only use plastic utensils on it (the spoon that come with it works well. There have been times that we have left the cooker on for a few hours more than we should have, but I haven't had any problem with scorching. We look forward to several more years of use from this excellent product.