Other Baking Goods:
Bisquick
Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix

Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix

Always in my pantry inventory

Despite the fact that I make most everything from scratch, I have always had a box of Bisquick in my pantry, as far back as I can recall. As nearly every other reviewer has noted, it's perfect for quick, nourishing meals. My family loves beef stew with dumplings, or chicken and dumplings. Bisquick also makes such good biscuits they really do appear "made from scratch" (and taste that way as well.)

None of these "kudos" are really why I keep this product handy.

It makes some of the best, light, crunchy fish or chicken batter you'll ever find.

What makes Bisquick so wonderful is its self-rising properties. If you've got the luxury of time you can make your own self-rising baking mix, but most of us really don't have the time or the inclination - especially busy working moms. My own mom, a baker, always had a box of Bisquick in her pantry as well, so you might say it's a long-established tried and true product in my family.

Reasonably priced, I don't see how you could go wrong with multi-purpose Bisquick baking mix, but it does really need to be used or tossed by the "use by" date. Like baking powder, its self-rising action has a shelf life.

Saves time but, really?

I want to start by making clear that I grew up on this stuff and still have a box in my pantry (for spontaneously making biscuits when I'm in a hurry) so this isn't any kind of foodie elitism talking.

Bisquick is good, for what it is. The problem is that "what it is" is flour, salt, and a little sugar and baking powder all mixed up together (with shortening subjected to some chemical voodoo and then mixed in as well). It saves time, for sure, but it's nothing that a person couldn't mostly mix up themselves for a fraction of the price and keep on-hand in Tupperware containers (oh, yes, and fewer preservatives this way). Recipes for bases are freely available online if you go looking. I'd post a few here but I'm not sure if that's against the rules or violates copyright, trademark, proprietary whosits, or the like. Seriously, though, look it up online, mix the dry ingredients together (takes about five minutes), and you're good to go down the road for quick and easy breakfast.

Okay, so that's me being pedantic. Here's me being taste-conscious:

Bisquick has about a million recipes associated with it, everything from pancakes and biscuits to strawberry shortcake and snicker doodles. Which would be a very good thing if the recipes didn't all end up having that same distinctive Bisquick aftertaste. A biscuit and a piece of shortcake should not have the exact same base to them. One or the other isn't going to turn out right if they do. One is meant to be dense and one is meant to be fluffy. Ditto, for that matter, for biscuits and pancakes. Adding more liquid and beating the batter longer isn't adequate or I wouldn't have been teasing my father about the consistency of his pancakes (made from Bisquick) verses those of my mother (who made them from scratch) by the time I was eight.

Bisquick is handy and it's convenient but it's inherently limited in what you can do with it despite what they'd like you to believe. It's not for me but it might be for you.

best tasting mix

About Me Foodie

Pros

• Easy To Prepare
  • Flavorful
  • Good Value

Cons

• Anytime

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

I like bisquick mix for making pancakes because it tastes the best and the pancakes come out fluffy and perfect flavor. My favorite thing to make with bisquick mix would be sweet biscuits for strawberry shortcake. It doesn't take long to mix it up and you just scoop it on a cookie sheet and they taste like homemade. I like making them this way because it takes a lot of time to prepare the strawberries and making them with bisquick makes it a little quicker and they are really good.

So many things to do

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

Now here's a product that I have come to appreciate very much. Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix is one of the most up to date, innovative products that I have personally come across. It saves me time, money and cabinet space. There are so many things you can make with this mix. I love the fact that I can make biscuits, pancakes, sweet and sour chicken and coffee cake with the same mix. I save money and cabinet space because I don't have to buy a bunch of separate products like rolls of biscuits, boxes of cake mix, pancake mixes ect. The quality of the mix is excellent and has surpassed my expectations by far. It makes great tasting biscuits that I use in the morning for making egg and cheese biscuit sandwiches. I also used it to make coffee cakes. I was pleasantly surprised to find that when using the Bisquick Brand Original Pancake and Baking Mix there was no under tone of baking soda after taste. For me, it is the obvious choice. I really love this stuff.

The Best Mix ever

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

I have used Bisquick for many years now. Throughout the years I have tried other baking mixes to cut down on grocery cost. They never quite seem to measure up to Bisquick. The Biscuits do not come out as fluffy and the pancakes are always flatter. I like how the Bisquick pancakes really raise and are nice and fluffy. Even Pancake mixes that are made pretty much just for pancakes do not make them as nice as Bisquick. I also like many of the recipes that Bisquick offers. I have made coffee cake that is good even in a pinch if you want a fast last minute treat. IT works great as a breading for chicken, pork and beef. I have made some casseroles with it also. The next recipe I am going to try is a breakfast pizza with the Bisquick at the bottom and sausage, bacon and cheese toppings. It is a very versicle baking mix. Now that I have tried a few others some name brands as well as store brands, I always go back to Bisquick. I am at the point where I won't buy any other brand.

Good family breakfast

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

Everyone in my household loves bis quick original pancake and baking mix. We love pancakes and its easy to just whip some up real quick. We like to add bananas or even chocolate chips to make different pancakes for everyone's own choice. Not only does it make pancakes i can make biscuits or even use it to coat foods. We like to also make our own breakfast corn dogs with sausage and bis quick. It's really a great tool to have on hand.

A lot of uses

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

I love bisquick! I use it on a regular basis for biscuits, pancakes and waffles. They have recipes for all of those and more right on the box, so it's very handy. You usually use about 2 cups of bisquick for every recipe, but I always buy the bigger box so it lasts a while. The price isn't too expensive either and I'm always finding coupons for it. Bisquick is very easy to use too. All you have to add is water vegetable oil and eggs. The taste is great and my pancakes, waffles and biscuits always come out tasting homemade!

Basic mix

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

this is your basic pancake mix! This is great for a simple morning's breakfast. I was also told you can add sugar and other items to this mix to spruce it up a bit. it's good for making waffles as well!it's good to have a mix to go to when you don't feel like making pancakes or waffles from scratch!

great tasting pancakes!

from Milton, VT

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

There is a smaller version in a plastic bottle and it is absolutely great for camping trips. You just add water and shake, instant batter for pancakes that tastes great too! I have added an egg to the batter for extra protein and they still were nice and fluffy!!! Hope you all can enjoy! It is a great way to get kids to help. Put the water in and let them shake away.

great to bake with

from williamston, SC

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix is such a must in everyone's kitchen , you can bake , make pancakes , biscuits , just about anything , it is not so high priced that you can not afford it , it is easy to use , i can not run of of biscuick in my house

Awesome--quick and easy to use!

from San Marcos, TX

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

I have used Bisquick for years.  I use it mainly for biscuits and pancakes.  It's quick and easy and that's important to a working mom who still cooks a homemade dinner most nights of the week for her family. I don't use them for chicken and dumplings though because they seem to disolve.

why doesnt it work!?

from West Leisenring, PA

Comments about Bisquick Original Pancake and Baking Mix:

i tried to make pancakes but they tasted bad

i followed the exact recipe and directions on the box

they get burnt easily but cant be undercooked, they look like eggs and they dont taste like pancakes

i tried it twice and came with the same result

its so frustrating that my friends pancakes which all you need to do is add water are ten times better than mine