3.9
Other Grains & Pastas:
Betty Crocker

3.9

Dare I say this is not a gourmet meal - but filling and tasty.

If Hamburger Helper Salisbury has been around, it has not been sold around here. I noticed it last month so chucked a box in the cart. We don't have Hamburger Helper very often, but I keep a box or two on hand for those nights when I don't feel very inspired in the kitchen.

This Hamburger Helper mix did not look so great when first mixed up. I wasn't so sure it would cook down and taste good. It did though.

Salisbury Hamburger is very simply named. They do add "with pasta and sauce." The taste is like the gravy with Salisbury steak - hamburger patties served with gravy.

You add three cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of milk to this HH mix. That's simple enough. Just make sure you have some milk.

The first time I made this quick meal, I did use hamburger. Tonight, I used ground chicken by Tyson. That works out fine too. If the meat looks a little different in the pics, then that's because this is the mix made with ground chicken. If using ground chicken, just be sure to use a fork and break it down. Ground chicken kind of cooks in clumps if you're not watching and stirring it apart.

My oldest son likes this Hamburger Helper the best of all the mixes. I'm not sure I've ever served Salisbury Steak since the boys came along. So, it's not a familiar flavor for him, but he really liked the sauce. I'll have to make up some real Salisbury steak one of these days.

This is clearly not an uptown dish, but it's easy to make, filling, and it does taste really good. Best of all it does not have any of the random seasonings that are in a few of the Hamburger Helper mixes that make my stomach cry "uncle." I can't do the rice one at all, but I'm fine with Salisbury.

I like Hamburger Helper Salisbury with a salad. The boys just "go for it" and polish off the pan. They don't get HH often. It's mostly from scratch around here. They do enjoy this quick meal though, and they give the thumbs down to most quickies.

A Convenient All-in-One Package Entree.

This is as close to an all-in-one meal as I'll feed my family. Generally, all you need to add is water and browned ground beef. Add a side dish of veggies and the meal is done. With some of the flavors, you can put the veggies into the Hamburger Helper itself and it tastes great while only dirtying one pan. ;) Watch out for the extremely high sodium content though, and don't feed this too often.

I'm not a fan of most of the flavors, to be honest. The Mexican flavors all have a very cheap, overly salted, lowest-denominator Mexican flavor to them that I really don't like. Many of the Italian flavors also taste like low-grade canned Italian. My husband likes them though. My favorite is the Tomato Basil Penne, and I've subbed the ground beef with Polish sausage for a really delicious beans-and-rice topper in the past. I also like the plain cheese flavors, and most of the potato flavors are good. NOTE: When I cook from scratch, I rarely add salt to anything, so if you like salt those reviewers that find Hamburger Helper bland probably have a point.

If you haven't tried the Tuna Helper boxes, I find them all a lot tastier than the Hamburger Helper varieties, and easier to add veggies to. I haven't tried Chicken Helper but only because my husband doesn't care much for chicken.

Disappointed

from Springfield, OR

Pros

• Fast, easy
  • Non Perishable

• Cooking

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Just made Hamburger Helper Spaghetti. I haven't had this in many, many years, it seems to have changed. It isn't as good as I remember. Won't buy this again.

Taste is BLAH from years past.

from Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

• You Don't Leave Enough Ro

Cons

• Bad Flavor

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Had to do this review twice due to the limited questions the first go. I WAS a big fan of Hamburger Helper up until about 3-4 years ago. You changed your product line and instead of using JUST water we now have to add MILK! Ever since then, my Hamburger Helper tastes BLAH! All I know is I will not waste my money on HH from here on out. I will find other ways/meals to eat even though I sadly MISS my old Hamburger Helper where you just add water. Back then, it had flavor but not now. If it's not broke, DON'T FIX IT. Instead you have ruined it for me at least. Goodbye HH, my money is valuable to me.

Sad

from Lawrenceville, GA

Pros

• Non Perishable

Cons

• Bad Flavor

• Cooking

Grew up and LOVED Hamburger Helper

from Georgia

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Now my mom is not a fan of Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, but I am a huge fan of this product and its many seasonings and flavors. My favorite Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper flavor would be the three cheeses. I love the taste of all three cheeses, especially with the ground beef and other added ingredients. Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper helps to make a delicious meal that saves me time. I cook Hamburger Helper when I do not have time to cook a long meal. It comes with the seasonings you need and the pasta also. All I do is cook the ground beef and then mix the components of the box together and the final product tastes like something made in a five-star restaurant. Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper is very handy. It helps to make a quick meal that tastes great and leaves my mouth watering. With Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper, I spend about ten minutes boiling the pasta and frying the ground beef. I simply pour all the ingredients from the box into a pan of cooked ground beef and the meal is done. With Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper I have had Italian flavors, Chinese flavors, and even Mexican flavors. I highly recommend this product because it is so delicious and easy to prepare when you don't have a lot of time.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I have been a loyal Hamburger Helper customer for over 20 years. I like the convenience and the flavors they offer to supplement the meals I prepare for my family. I have been very unhappy with them lately, however. Over the last three years, they have cut their proportions, and increased their cost. A prime example is their Chicken Fried Rice - there are very little vegetables left in the rice, and the amount of rice has decreased significantly. So much so, that I add my own rice. For all of the other flavors, I now have to use two boxes instead of one to get half as much as what we used to have for a dinner. I know the economy is tough, and all manufacturers are making cuts, but to cut the portion size and increase the cost is a double cut! My children are completely in love with the cheesy enchilada, so I continue to buy it; however, I find myself trying to increase the rice and find flavors to add to my rice to keep the taste at what they expect.

Old favorite

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Hamburger helper is an old time favorite. When I got my first apartment this is all we ate , I hate Mac n cheese so hamburger helper was my all time favorite. You can make it in under 30 minutes. So It's fast , it's easy and it's cheap. It's painless to make. For the family on the go this is a great filling meal.

Quick, easy, and tasty meal helper!

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

We love Hamburger Helper at my house! It is quick, easy, and affordable! It comes in a variety of flavors such as lasagna- a favorite of ours, taco, Asian, cheesy shells, cheeseburger, and the list goes on. It is so quick and easy to prepare. Brown your meat, add the packet, milk, water, and noodles and cook in a skillet! Super easy and pretty quick to make. It goes great with rolls or a vegetable for a side. It is tasty and great when you're in a hurry and don't have the time to really make dinner.

A great fast meal

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

Betty Crocker hamburger helper comes in a variety of flavors. I cook this at least once a month for my family. It is inexpensive, quick, and easy to make. I even taught my oldest daughter to cook by preparing hamburger helper. A pound of ground beef Is all that is needed per box of helper.

It's a quick dinner!

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I love hamburger helper. All you need to add is water, milk, butter and hamburger and you have a quick meal in less then 20 minutes. It says to add one pound of hamburger to one box, but I usually add one pound to two boxes and it turns out great. Two boxes is the perfect amount to feed my family of four. I have tried several kinds and they all taste great and the price is cheap too!

Great when I'm short on time.

Comments about Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper:

I like preparing home-cooked meals for my family but on those nights when the extra time just isn't there, Betty Crocker Hamburger Helper works well. We've tried each of the different flavors and my kids like the taste of them. I would recommend this for a quick meal idea.