Other Grains & Pastas:
Rice & Grains
Zatarain's
Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix

Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix

An Old New Orleans Favorite!

If you are from the south, you already know you will like **Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix** before tasting it becasue Zatarain's makes some tasty mixes that makes prepariing a quick dinner a snap of the fingers...well almost!  **Zatarain's **is a New Orleans tradition and a Louisiana favorite.  The company was founded by Emile A. Zatarain, Sr. in 1889.  His first product was a root beer flavoring but that is another review for some other time!**Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix **comes in an 8 oz. box. It contains rice and a seasoning blend.  All you have to do to prepare this dinner is to add one pound of pre-cooked meat (sasauge, ham, chicken, pork, seafood) to the mix and water.  Stir and simmer for about 25 minutes and you have a one-dish meal.  Each box will servie 6 people with the addition of one lb. of meat.  If you want to stretch it to serve more people, you can do this too!  I've experimented by adding 1/2 lb. more meat, 1/2 cup rice and 1/4 cup additional rice.  This will boost your servings up to 8!**My ViewPoint**Living in Louisiana, I'm very familiar with jambalaya and cooking jambalaya.  It's a a favorite dish of the area and also a family favorite.  When cooking jambalaya from scratch, you don't cook a pot of jambalaya.  You fix a huge iron pot outdoors on the burner for the entire family, friends and neighbors.  When you don't have the time for that, you can always rely on **Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix** for a tasty and quick dinner.This is one of my favorite quick dinners.  The spices are just right for most people.  If you are one that loves blazing hot and spicy food, just add a bit more red pepper.  If you find it too spicy, add to the mix to dilute it (see above).  This also gives you more servings.  I do have one complaint about **Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix **and that is the high sodium content.  **Zatarain's **has addressed this issue and has now introduced a low sodium version.  I can't wait to try it!  I give **Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix **4 VP's!

Zatarain's Jambalaya Mix - convenient,tasty, but high in sodium!

I love spicy, well-seasoned foods, but often they take a long time to cook properly if you're preparing from scratch. Therefore, Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix is a convenient alternative for making a quick dinner. It's often on sale at the grocery store so it's relatively economical as well.

All you do is add the rice and spices to water, bring to a boil and simmer as directly. In the last few minutes of cooking, you can add the proteins of your choice - I prefer some andouille sausage, with a little chicken and maybe some fresh shrimp. The spices also infuse into the proteins as they cook (or warm through), making the entire dish quite flavorful. This product is also good cold as leftovers the next day.

The only drawback is the large amount of sodium - 500 mg (21% Daily Value) per 3 tablespoon serving (6 servings per box). As most people would probably agree, 3 tablespoons is not what you would consider a normal entree serving for jambalaya (it's even small as a side dish). It you figure that each box really makes 2-3 adult-sized portions, you're closer to 1000-1500 mg sodium without counting any additional sodium from the optional proteins. Still, I think this product is tasty enough treat myself once in a while.

Tasty Meal

from USA, Indiana

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

This jambalaya mix is a quick and easy meal in a box. Whenever I prepared this meal I add grilled chicken, shrimp and smoke sausage to the mix. Since this meal is a bit on the spicy side, I add an extra 3/4 cup of water and 1/2 cup of extra rice to make it milder.

To make this a complete meal I either have a side salad or mixed vegetable for a side dish.

Easy, Great Tasting, But Sometimes it Looks Weird in the Box

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

We discovered the Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix when we got married and started having kids. We love pretty much everything about it! The price is right...and coupons are easy to come by. The taste is amazing! They even have a type that has cheese...and cheese is always good! We have only ever tried it with sausage but I feel it would taste great with other meats as well...or even without any as a meatless option. The directions say to add a small amount of oil (optional) and I recommend not adding any. Especially if you use sausage...it is not necessary at all. Our one complaint is that sometimes the rice, seasoning mixture is crusted together and it is very unappetizing to look at. I checked the best by date and that one was almost expired so I was not surprised. Any meal that makes the entire family happy is a favorite for this mom! Overall, I would recommend this as a meal to anyone.

So easy, so tasty!

from Pleasant Hill, CA

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

I make this for my family about once every two weeks or so.  I add shrimp and sausage.  It couldn't be easier.  My family loves this.  We always put a little dollup of sour cream on top of our servings, it enhances the flavor even more.  This is really one of my favorite meals to make, as I can get it going early afternoon and it's no hassle at dinnertime...I highly recommend it!

taste great, add whatever meat you have a taste for!!

from Saint Louis, MO

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

it has enough seasoning and its low on price. its very flavorful. you can add chicken or sausage, whatever meat you desire! add it to any meal. great as a meal by itself. i love it and whenevr some one is cooking it at their house, im there! i recommemend it to anyone who loves spicey foods, who loves rice or who loves to try anything new.

The guys in our family thinks I am a Goddess when I make this!

from Atwater, OH

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

I add boneless chicken, smoked sausage coins, some fresh green or red peppers and onions cut up, and at the end some frozen shrimp, and the men in the family worship me when I make this.  They didn't know it was a mix - until I went out of town and left the ingredients for the teen boy to make for himself.  They still love me when I make this for them - even though my secret is out.  LOL

We really love this mix on a busy weeknight!

from Hancock, ME

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

I usually make this mix using a sliced smoked sausage or scrambled sausage of any variety.  It is especially good with a chicken and spice sausage!  At the end of cooking I stir in about a cup and a half of frozen peas for an all in one meal.  This works well with many of the Zararain's mixes.

Almost homemade

from Oak Lawn, IL

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

This is a great tasting product that you can make several different ways and it always turns out great.  I have made it for even my pickiest eaters who have nothing but compliments about how great it tastes.  Even my daughter who does not like spicy foods likes this when I make it with chicken, that is what is so great about this mix.

Interesting, spicy, but a bit too much of everything

from Upper Darby, PA

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

Before initially tasting this rice, I was very excited to have a Zatarain's experience. Boy was I disappointed! The rice is definitely over-seasoned. Don't get me wrong, the food that I eat has to have FLAVOR;however, this rice doesn't have much 'flavor' it has a lot of spice and it actually takes away from the rice. Is this how things taste in N'Orleans?

this is great for a quick meal

from Geneva, NE

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

I really like this product.  It isn't something we eat every day, or even every week, but for something different when I get in a rut, it's great. I don't like all their varieties, but we do like this one. I don't know how we even came to try it one day, just looking for something different in the store.  We were pleasantly surprised. My husband thinks that it is a little spicy, which is unusual because he can tolerate spicy food better than I can. I would recommend this product.  I'd even consider taking it for a pot luck dinner.

A big bite for a little bit.

from Panorama City, CA

Comments about Zatarain's New Orleans Style Jambalaya Mix:

I found that the cost was much less in price in comparison to other rice dishes.   While I think it's doesn't advertise the same way in my neighborhood that it may in other areas, it packs alot of popularity at my market.  The downer is that it runs out fast, and not all stores carry this. While I did not taste as much salt in this brand as I have in others, it does exist.  However, itis much lower in sodium count by comparison, which is a plus in the health factor.  It also great in the "flavor" factor,since a lot was added, which makes the difference.   For those who are  appreciative of flavor, I highly recommend it, however, for those who are sodium conscience, I would not recommend it, unless you are ready for it's consequences.This dish is great as a side dish by itself, or mixed with vegetables to expand the dish, and add depth to taste.  Want to know if you'll appreciate it?  Then take Mikey's old expression, and put it to the test on this product!