Other Computer Mice:

Apple Magic Mouse

Pros

Cons

I like my Apple Magic Mouse so much, I would another for backup

When I got my Macbook Pro, I was enthused with the touchpad on it. But after a while, the touchpad attraction grew old and I found that I really need a mouse. Since the Macbook Pro had bluetooth connectivity, I wanted a bluetooth enabled mouse. I had an extra bluetooth mouse at home and tried that for about 3 hours. I found that the bluetooth connectivity was not what I expected. The mouse pointer lagged and jumped a lot. I then thought of keeping the mouse and laptop in the same brand, so I researched getting the Apple Magic mouse from online reviews. According to the reviews, the mouse performed well with PC users and very well with MAC users. This was the information I was looking for.

After reading up the reviews, I purchased the Apple Magic Mouse and put it to use. Once the battery was installed and setup was complete, the connectivity between the Macbook Pro and the Apple Magic Mouse was unbelievably intuitive. I expected this as they were both Apple products. True to the reviews, the mouse performed very well. While it was not as accurate and sensitive as my other PC mouse on a PC, the Apple mouse was more than adequate for what I needed a mouse to do. In addition, the other mouse's abilities such as scrolling and page turning was extremely smooth and responsive.

In summary, if you are considering getting an Apple Magic Mouse to be your "mouse", do your homework to decide the following: a) is it for a PC or MAC, b) would the additional mouse features work on your specific laptop, c) can you endure a small learning curve to get it running the right way, and d) are you tech literate enough to figure out how to customize the mouse to do what you need done? When you can answer these questions and want to get a very good mouse, then the Apple Macbook Pro should definitely rank at the top, if not at the top of your list.

Cool idea, but the ergnomics are horrible

I got this mouse as part of the Mac computer that I had purchased. The look of the mouse is great. It's clean, white and has a smooth nice surface. It looks very nice, and glides very nice across any surface. The bottom o the surface is mostly made of aluminum, a type of metal that Apple seems to favor lately.

The "gimick," so to speak, is that the top of the mouse is a multi-touch surface. This means that you can scroll with two fingers, flick pages, and the like. While this works pretty well, the top of the mouse simply does not have enough room for you to perform those actions easily. You're very cramped in the area, and those actions aren't natural, since you have to raise your fingers.

This brings me to the points of ergnomics. This mouse is very, very uncomfortable to use. It doesn't conform to the shape of your hand like other mouses. In an effort to make it look good, Apple designed it to have an extremely low profile. This results in a good looking mouse that doesn't feel good when using it.

In the end, I purchased a different mouse (a Logitech, if you're interested). The mouse looks nice, and has nice features, but it simply doesn't work comfortably as a normal everyday mouse. You'll get tired of using it, and the multitouch actions simply don't bode well with your hand.

Definitely the greatest mouse I have ever used!

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

This is the smoothest mouse I have ever used. Mac does a great job in general, but the usability of this mouse is incredible. The design is nice, it forms right into the hand, and its movements are better than any other mouse I have ever used. I would highly recommend purchasing this mouse if you have a Mac, whether it is a laptop, desktop, etc.

• Comfort:

Sleek mouse that does so many functions.

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

I love this mouse. Besides the fresh look, it also offers so much. The curved design fits perfectly into my hand making it feel very natural. Additionally, with the top of it being a sensor, it is so convenient to scroll and go back and forward all by just using the mouse. It makes navigation a lot easier. I have dropped the mouse many times and it has never broken, chipped, or lowered performance because of that. It stands up to contact well. It is a bit on the pricey side but once you get it, you will see how worth it, it is.

• Comfort:

sleek design and easy to use

from Annapolis, MD

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

It works well with my iMac and the fact that it's wireless makes it so much easier to use than having to worry about a cord. I have had it some time now and it is very reliable.

no problems ever

has been going strong for several years now

sleek and good-looking

Comfort
confortable to use

• Comfort:

A fun gadget, but could definitely be improved

from Raleigh, NC

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

I've owned my magic mouse for about a year now, and I use it pretty much every day.  It's a very good mouse, and definitely the only mouse of its kind.  What makes it so innovative is that there are no buttons and the entire surface of the mouse is like the touchpad on a a macbook.  Thus, you can scroll with momentum, left and right click, and also use several gestures.  While it only comes with a few gestures (swipe left and right), you can get more gestures by downloading free software online -- I use Sesamouse.  With sesamouse, I can pinch zoom, and swipe for expose and the desktop.  However, there are a few limitations of magic mouse.  I enjoy using the mouse because it feels great to the touch as well.  First of all, the tracking speed is slow.  I have to use it on the fastest tracking speed, and I still find it a bit slow at times.  My logitech mouse was at least twice as fast at full speed.  Also, The surface of the magic mouse is too small for doing gestures comfortably.  Gestures are comfortable on a touchpad but the surface of the mouse is quite small.  All in all I recommend it, but one day it may be replaced by touchpads altogether.   The battery life is also fairly short.  I go through rechargable AA batteries about once every 3 or 4 weeks.

Good for Simple Browsing but Not For Long Time Sittings

from Conyers, GA

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

The magic mouse is the most innovative mouse I have ever seen! The main feature of the mouse is that it is touch sensitive. About 80% of the top of the mouse can be used for multitouch gestures. Scrolling is a breeze with it, and it just feels right. I do have some problems, being a video editor, that after long periods of time with it, my palm needs somewhere to rest and the Magic Mouse is just too flat. Also, my wrists end up hanging off the end. This means that after sweat accumulates, my hand will start sticking to the desk. It is also a little slow with the tracking. I had to boost up the speed of the mouse to fit my style. Overall, this is a great mouse for simple people. For video editors or heavy mouse users, I would suggest still getting this but to have an extra mouse laying around just in case. It is a little pricey, but I think it is far worth it. You can never enjoy these multitouch gestures like you can on this mouse on any other mouse I know.

Cool-looking mouse, but not all that good

from Princeton, NJ

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

I was very excited to try this wireless Apple mouse, and while its sleek looking design and lightweight design is attractive, overall I do not like this mouse nearly as much as I thought I would. Apple's incorporation of trackpad features into a mouse was pretty well inevitable, and this aspect of the magic mouse is definitely very useful. But the overall feel of the mouse seems a little bit off. It feels too chunky and would no doubt not be very comfortable for smaller hands, especially given that it does not feel very ergonomic at all. Sure it looks smooth and aerodynamic, but this is a mouse after all and not a car. This mouse also seems to go through batteries like crazy, and while it is possible to use more environmentally friendly rechargeable batteries, it is still a hassle to have to change and charge them so often. It also seems to lose connection with my computer more often than it should, making me wonder whether there might be some glitch with it on the Bluetooth front. All in all, I have renounced this mouse as my main one and have it stored away in a drawer as a back up mouse that I hope I will not have to turn to often!

Looks great, needs getting used to.

from Irvine, CA

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

I've had the magic mouse for over a year now and it is very handy. Before, I had the wired mighty mouse and that was awesome. However, since the magic mouse is mainly touch, it isnt very good for gaming. Usually when I play games on my computer I switch back to my mighty mouse. But for just casual browsing or a good looking mouse, this is the way to go. Unlike the mighty mouse, the magic mouse does not have a track ball. The mouse requires at least Mac OS X 10.5.8 and Bluetooth. It can be configured as a two-buttoned left-handed or right-handed mouse, but the default is a single button. It uses laser tracking for increased pointer accuracy over previous generation Apple mice. I stated that it takes some getting used to because the design is a little flatter than most mice, so your hand will feel different on this lowered mouse.

Multi touch comes to the Mac

from Washington, PA

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

The Apple Magic Mouse is the way all mice should be. I user interface of the mouse is so user intuitive that it just blows my mind. The multi touch capabilities give you the benefits of a track pad on a MacBook (Pro) with the usability of a mouse for you Mac desktop. I really like the three finger swipe to navigate back and forth between web pages. The two finger scroll makes reading web pages and documents so easy that I find my self yearning for it while using a regular mouse. The looks of the Apple Magic Mouse are also out of this world. Leave it to Steve Jobs and Apple to make a mouse look oh so sexy. Its integration with the Mac is also really easy. It just works right off the bat. No compatibility issue, no driver updates, no clunky software to install, and best of all no cords. The battery life is the one area that definitely needs some work. Other than that I see no flaws with the Apple Magic Mouse.

Cool idea, but the ergnomics are horrible

from Millbrae, CA

Apple Magic Mouse Magically Changed my Computer Experience

from Marietta, GA

Comments about Apple Magic Mouse:

This Mouse is the greatest mouse ever produced by Apple. There are no wires or scroll wheels. All there is is an on/off switch, a click button, and instructions. Everything else you need to do with a mouse is done with your hands by moving them across the top surface of the magic mouse. You can scroll just like you would using a scroll wheel, you move one finger over the top of the mouse and the page scrolls down. When viewing photos, you can go to the next photo by swiping your finger left and right across the top surface of the device. This is a great feature to use in i Photo on any of Apple's Mac computers. There are a few negatives about this accessory for your mac. The battery life is not that long for this mouse, so if you use your computer a lot, I recommend getting a better mouse. Also, sometimes the finger swipe functions don't work correctly. If you do not swipe in the exact motion needed, nothing will happen. In other words, you have to swipe exactly or scroll exactly has picture in the instructions in order to take advantage of the swiping functions. Over all, I am satisfied with this mouse and I would definitely recommend this to any Mac user in the world.