Other Cold & Flu Medicines:
Afrin

Pros

Cons

Afrin Original 12 Hour Nasal Spray Clears the Congestion Fast

When you have a nasty case of sinus congestion, you can opt to take a pill and hope for the best, but chances are, it won't provide the relief you need. When pills don't cut the mucus, you have to reach for something tougher and one good choice is **Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray**, a long- lasting nasal spray.

**Cold Medicine Commentary:**

Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray is a powerful product taken directly in the nose to cut through congestion and provide relief from sinus pressure. Its active ingredient Oxymetazoline Hydrochloride (0.05%) provides the muscle needed to cut congestion, open sinus passages, and return the nose to its working function.

As I said, pills often don't work as needed and this is especially true when you're fighting a really tough level of congestion, due to a cold, allergies, or other health ailment. I have constant sinus problems and I am often forced to turn to sinus sprays like Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray to relieve the problem. Most pills barely put a dent in my congestion and those that do take too long to work. With Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray, the relief is much faster because it is sprayed directly into the sinus and directly to the congestion.

Another positive quality with Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray is that it lasts a long time. Other sinus sprays are good for only four hours of relief. With Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray, you have congestion freedom that lasts half the day. Just a few sprays in each nostril is all it takes. You don't need to think about it or worry about another treatment for a full twelve hours.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray is an effective means to congestion control and it makes a good choice for those of us who live with sinus problems on an almost daily basis. The product is powerful and should not be used for more than a few days. It can also become addictive, so one should exercise caution. But as long as one is careful, Afrin Original 12- Hour Nasal Spray is a good sinus treatment option with the power to blast sinuses open and keep them that way for a good part of the day.

Congestion Relief
Breaks up sinus congestion on contact

Chest Congestion Relief
Chest congestion isn't changed much

Afrin nasal spray works well

I have been suffering from sinusitis and other nasal allergies for as long as i remember, the worst and possibly saddest thing is i have honestly forgotten what it feels to breathe clearly with both my nostrils, one of them is always blocked, if not both, this not only feels weird, thought i've gotten used to it, it decreases your sense of taste as well. So i have tried all sorts of medicines, quick fixes etc and was recommended this particular nasal spray as a emergency decongestant.  Once a while when my attack becomes quite bad the only thing that calms it down is a quick nap, but its not the most practical solution, this spray is the substitute. the first time i used it, it was like a miracle as to how fast my nostrils opened up, i guess the swelling inside decrease and shrink with  this spray. So i used it for the recommended 3 days, and stopped,  those three days was completely blissful, when i could breathe in more air than i ever had, but what followed was quite hellish as  the inside of my nostrils, in almost an enrage swelled up ferociously  making breathing a miserable undertaking once again.  I then heard that, that was a side effect, so i seldom use this, and only in case of a major emergency, i really wish they could make one sans the nasty side effect.

Didn't last all day long

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

In the spring time my allergies are horrible. I am allergic to anything you can think of grass, trees, dust, the list goes on. I think I have tried just about anything under the sun. I have tried the Afrin nasal spray to help with my congestion before and here are my quick thoughts. First, it is easy to use. I was a little weirded out by putting it in my nostril, but you just put it in your nostril and spray it while inhaling. Super quick and easy, but it feels really weird. I felt like initially it worked by relieving my congestion and runny nose. But as the day went on, my symptoms returned and there was nothing else I could do, you can't use this product again for another ten- twelve hours. For me to not take anything else for that long, I expect my product to work all day long, and this nasal spray just did not meet those expectations. It didn't cause any side effects that were harmful, and it worked the first half do the day. But like I said, I wanted it to work at least twelve hours and it didn't.

One spray, breathe okay

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I have used Afrin Pump Mist Spray for many years. I have a sinus condition, and this allows me to breathe easily all night and get to sleep. I only use at night and have no problems with needing more.

Congestion Relief
Does a great job, I use only one spray in each nostril, works great.

Chest Congestion Relief
Not for chest congestion, nose drops.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Helps relieve sinus headache. Thins mucus so that it can be easily removed.

Cough Suppression
Not a cough suppressant, simply a great nose drop for nasal congestion relief.

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I have horrible sinus problems and tend to get nasal congestion fairly often. I cannot sleep unless I can breathe through my nose so Afrin nasal spray comes in handy. One or two squirts in each nostril and I'm breathing freely for around 8 hours. It does have the slightest burn when you first spray it, especially if you already have dry sinuses from being sick. I also would not recommend using it for longer than a few days, it will dry our your nasal passages with over use.

Congestion Relief
Afrin original nasal spray provides almost immediate relief of your nasal congestion. Literally one or two sprays in each nostril while breathing in and within minutes you can breathe. It clears up your nasal congestion and stops your nose from running. It is a life saver for me when I am sick.

Chest Congestion Relief
It is only for nasal congestion. It won't do anything for chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
It is only for nasal congestion, it does not provide relief from aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
It is not for coughing, only for nasal congestion.

Amazing Product

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I have never tried any kind of nasal medication before. I have always been skeptical of nasal medications, not know how they would work, or how well. I recently came down with a nasty cold. Even after taking Sudafed for a few days, along with using Vicks to try to open my nasal passages, nothing seemed to work. I broke down and bought Afrin because it stated on the box that it is doctor recommended. The product was also on sale and came with a bonus bottle. After trying it out, I can see why it is doctor recommended. Within 30 seconds of inhaling this medicine (literally), I was able to breathe through my nose again. I would strongly suggest buying this product as it really does work. My daughter has very bad seasonal allergies and am hoping that this year she will not suffer as bad now that we have found a reliable nasal decongestant.

Chest Congestion Relief
Doesn't do much for chest congestion.

This will clear your sinuses for 12 full hours

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I do have to first say that this stuff is not the best to be using all of the time. More than a few days and it's no good for your sinus passages. But if you need quick relief so that you can breathe and get through your day, this stuff works in like thirty seconds and keeps lasting for twelve hours. I use this a lot in the winter, and it's great.

• Cough Suppression:

Afrin is great for keeping my ears clear when flying

from Satellite Beach, FL

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I love this product because it helps to keep my eardrums from rupturing when I fly.

Congestion Relief
Relieves any congestion and keeps me breathing comfortabley

Relief of Aches & Pains
When the product started decongesting my sinus and ears the pain of the pressure went away and made me feel much better

Afrin gets the job done

from Antioch, TN

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

When I'm feeling congested, stopped up, can't breathe I reach for Afrin and it clears me up in a very short amount of time.

Congestion Relief
Afrin works wonders for me to relieve my congestion.

Chest Congestion Relief
It will clear up your breathing in just a few minutes and last almost the full 12 hours.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I don't know if this product is made for pain relief but it will make you more comfortable as it makes your breathing so much better.

Cough Suppression
It may or may not help with your coughing but it sure does help clear your nasal pathway so you can breathe.

Works Great!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

I'm suffering through the tail end of the flu (and, yes, I got my flu shot this year!) and, as a nursing mother, there aren't many cold medicines I can take. My doctor said Afrin was safe because it's a low dose and directed at the nose, so that's all I've been using. I can tell the difference right away after I take it - night and day (and, actually, the only thing that lets me sleep at night). I will say that the dose seems to wear off before it's time for a new dose at the twelve hour mark, but other than that, I've been happy to have something to help. The other downside, as you probably know, is that you can only use it for three days. Still, I'm hoping those three days are all I need.

• Cough Suppression:

This product is a life saver for my husband.

from Cleburne, TX

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

My husband uses Afrin Nasal Spray everyday. He has severe allergies that make it difficult to sleep at night. Since he has discovored Afrin he has no problem falling asleep. Afrin also helps him breathe clearly throughout the day. He takes it with him everywhere.

Fast Working Nasal Congestion Relief

from Rochester, NY

Comments about Afrin Original Nasal Spray:

Works quickly, and my nose stays clear for the twelve hours that it is advertised for. I have allergies and get congested quite a bit. This is great at night, I can rest and not get hyped up by the decongestant. This product does not work for chest congestion, aches or pains, or cough suppression.