Other Cold & Flu Medicines:

Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray

Pros

Cons

• Cough Suppression:

Yeah! I can breathe again.

Until recently, my impression of **Afrin** users was of old men in rocking chairs with bottles of **Afrin** strewn about their house.  I guess I probably got that impression from seeing my grandfather (bless his heart) do exactly that.  My Grandpa always seemed to have a bottle of **Afrin **nearby and I remember watching him with curiosity (and a bit of nausea) when he stuck that gross-looking thing up his nose.  Ewww.  No wonder why I never thought to try **Afrin** myself.

Flash forward 30 years and I've become an **Afrin Severe Congestion Nasal Spray** user myself.  No, I don't have **Afrin** bottles on my coffee table and don't use it in front of people, but I do discreetly keep one in my medicine cabinet. I never thought to try **Afrin** until I had a cold a few months ago and my husband brought it home for me.  I was a little repulsed at first but after trying it, I was sold.  The **Afrin** worked quickly and I was breathing better in less than one minute.  Yes, it worked that fast!

I have another cold and right away, I got out the **Afrin**.  I was having trouble breathing and the **Afrin** worked immediately.  It's especially helpful for getting a good night's sleep.  No longer do I have to spend a miserable night tossing and turning because I can't breathe.

My box of **Afrin Severe Congestion Nasal Spray** states that it provides 12 hours of nasal congestion relief without drowsiness.  I completely agree.

Important to know, is that the box states to not use this product for more than 3 days and that frequent use can cause nasal congestion to recur or worsen.  I heed that warning and only use **Afrin** for 3 days or less.  I've heard that people can get addicted to these types of nasal sprays and can't breathe well without using them.

**Afrin Severe Congestion Nasal Spray** is the only product that works to help me breathe easier when I have a cold.  I can finally say goodbye to misery and know that I'll get a good night's sleep.

ouch!!!

Whatever the crud is that  has been going around has had me down for  2 weeks now. In desperation to breathe so I could perhaps get some sleep, I picked up a bottle of Afrin sever congestion. Yes, it sure took  care of the breathing problem but buned unbelievably bad. And within a few days after using it I had a severe sinus infection. So take into consideration how sensitive your sinuses are before using this product.

I can breath!

from Wesley Chapel, FL

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

I never knew much about using Afrin for relief of nasal congestion until my husband told me about it when I was suffering from a cold. I was worried about getting sores inside my nose, as my nose was already hurting from blowing it so much. I bought this product and gave it a try. It was amazing and I could literally breath right after one spray. I love it. It helped open up the congestion in my sinuses and helped me to be able to breath and get some good rest.
I never experienced any sores or discomfort in my nose from the spray and it did not drip at all, just as the box states.

Congestion Relief
I really only need one spray in each nostril to get me immediate relief. I only use it a few times a day when I am suffering from a cold or nasal congestion caused by allergies. It works quickly and effectively, without irritation to the nose. This is my go to product during allergy season. I keep a bottle in my purse at all times.

Immediate congestion relief

from Marlton, NJ

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

Nothing comes close to Afrin Severe Congestion Nasal Spray. Recently I had a killer sinus infection. I was left breathing through my mouth, my head was pounding-just major congestion.

Within minutes of taking Afrin, I could breath again! Miracle product.

It's supposed to last for 12 hours but the congestion relief only lasted about 4 hours for me. I chalked this up to how congested I was and was happy to have the few hours of congestion relief I could get.

I also liked how the formula is no-drip. With many nasal sprays, you can taste it. With Afrin's no-drip formula, you can't taste it at all.

The downside-you can only take it once every 12 hours and for only 3 three days. As the relief didn't last 12 hours, waiting 12 hours for an additional dose was tough. In addition, you are only allowed to take it for 3 days as it can make your cold or infection worse. This can be tough as my sinus infection was still around at the 3 day mark.

Afrin No Drip Nasal Spray

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

This stuff is awesome when your stuffed up! I cannot sleep if I can not breathe out of my nose. I will be up all night if I can only breathe out of my mouth and this nasal spray solves that. A few sprays in each nostril and the congestion is completely gone for the entire night. One word of caution though it will burn a little going up especially if you have a bad cold or sinus infection and your nasal passages are dry. The burn will only last a minute or less though and within a few minutes you will be breathing like your not even sick.

Congestion Relief
Works within minutes. A few sprays and your nasal passages are completely clear. I use this right before bed when I'm sick so I can have a restful nights sleep.

Chest Congestion Relief
This is for nose congestion, does nothing for the chest.

Relief of Aches & Pains
This is for the nose only does not help with flu symptoms or other aches and pains.

Cough Suppression
This is a nasal spray will not help with coughing or any other cold symptom.

A Godsend

from Herndon, VA

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray is a Godsend. It's the only cold medication that I feel really and truly provides symptom relief.
There is nothing worse during a cold than nasal congestion (in my opinion). I will drive myself to the store in my sickest state for Afrin nasal spray, if I have to. It's that effective.
I just got over a cold this weekend. I sent my fiance' to the store for Afrin. I had never been so happy to see him as when he walked through that door. One spray in each nostril gave me immediate relief (within 1-2 minutes). My nasal passages started to clear, and I could breathe through my nose again! The best feeling in the world! It's far superior to sudafed or benadryl for treating nasal congestion.

The best part is, no significant side effects (If used properly). I don't feel any nasal burning or stinging, like with some other products.

It really works (for nasal congestion - I don't expect it to work for headache or cough). It should be used only every 12 hours for a three day maximum. I use it for the first, roughest three days of my cold. After that, I really don't need it. I find that it does last (almost) the full 12 hours.

Afrin nasal spray is my number one cold remedy! Other than chicken soup, I don't bother with anything else. I'd highly advise it!!

Works Quickly, Need To Watch Dosage

from Pittsburgh, PA

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

Afrin severe congestion is great because it works very quickly. The good news is that the effects of this are supposed to last 12 hours, but the bad news is that you are not supposed to use this more than once every 12 hours and I think you'll need to watch this because I know that I will still feel symptoms if I am very congested.

Also directions indicate that you should not use this for more than three days in a row, so again, that is something to watch.

The other thing I don't like about using Afrin is that you are supposed to use 2 or 3 sprays in each nostril, but for medicine, those directions seem imprecise to me.

Congestion Relief
I think the best thing about Afrin is that its effects are pretty much immediate. I think it works well, but it does not necessarily eliminate all congestion, but I'm not sure if it is realistic to expect that.

Chest Congestion Relief
I don't use Afrin if I have chest congestion.

Relief of Aches & Pains
I don't use Afrin for pain.

Cough Suppression
Instead of using Afrin, I take cough syrup or musinex if I am coughing.

My Only Choice For A Nasal Spray

from Potomac, MD

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

Like clockwork I can count on getting strept throat twice a year. My symptoms are atypical. I get a raging sore throat with an awful headache and nasal congestion. Regardless of what the experts tell me, the nasal congestion isn't there before or after the bacteria attack. I also have some random and sporadic allergy symptoms in the spring. Continually sniffling or straining to get some air in through my nose is not how I want to roll. It is also just unappealing to be out in public honking and whistling through your nose. The Afrin goes to work just about immediately. I use it no more than twice a day while I have the symptoms and try to discontinue use after no more than 5 days because doctors talk about becoming addicted to it. I don't see that happening, but using some caution can't hurt. Does it last 12 hours? No, I don't think so, but 8 hours seems to be the relief period I experience. I think all medicated nose sprays feel a little strange when first inhaled, but this does not burn. I also do not experience any severe nasal dryness when using it.

• Cough Suppression:

This stuff works great when you are at your worst

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

This is for when you have one of those colds and congestion where you feel like you are going to die and your head is going to explode. It will give you immediate relieve, I mean in less than a minute, and you will be breathing out of your nose. It does not solve other cold issues, but that alone will make you feel more like a human and get you going.

Awesome product, works immediately

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

This is one of the few nasal sprays that actually works for me. I suffer from allergies and sinus issues to the point where I literally can't breathe. And I've tried many, MANY over the counter products to find even just a little bit of relief. And Afrin's Severe Congestion spray is the only product that would offer immediate results. I'm not exaggerating when I say that within a minute or so of spraying, my nose and air passages would open up and I could breathe again. I highly recommend this product. The only downside I would caution Afrin users about would be that it's very easy to rely *too* much on this product after awhile. A pharmacist cautioned me about something called "Afrin Rebound" where after awhile you feel you need it just to breathe at all. And that did happen to me, but only briefly. This definitely isn't recommended for long term use, but is excellent when you're suffering from severe cold and flu or allergy symptoms and you need a quick over the counter alternative to help flush out those blocked air ways. It also helped with sinus pressure headaches for me.

Almost instant relief.

from Bay City, MI

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

I have never been a big fan of nasal sprays. They often burn your nose, run down the back of your throat, and leave a nasty taste in your mouth. And 99% of the ones I have tried, including prescription nasal sprays either don't work or take days to work. But a friend recommended the Afrin No Drop Severe Congestion Nasal Spray a week ago when I was struggling with a cold and cold not breath out of my nose at all. I was absolutely miserable. So I reluctantly bought it. I tried it right away, using one spray in each nostril. It didn't burn at all. I did not feel it running down my throat and never tasted anything. But the best part of all? Within a minute both nostrils were almost completely clear and I could breath out of both side of my nose. I will honestly say I was in complete shock. It lasted almost 8 hours before I started to become congested again. That was my only problem is that it is supposed to last 12 hours and can only be used twice a day. But I will take being congested just a few hours a day over all day like I had been. NO other medication oral or otherwise had worked even nearly as well as this one. I will be keeping it in stock at all times from now on.

Relief of Aches & Pains
Relieved the pressure in my head!

Nothing Works Faster or Better Than This

from Los Angeles, CA

Comments about Afrin No Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray:

Afrin No-Drip Severe Congestion Nasal Spray has come to my rescue many a time, but not with my allergist blessing. Allergist frown on the use of this product for nasal congestion due to allergies, because it was designed mainly for nasal congestion due to colds caused by virus infections and it can be habit forming. Yet, although I use a prescribed steroid nasal spray, which is designed to help the nasal membrane tolerate allergens and prevent itching and sneezing by shrinking inflamed and swollen membrane nerves, it can wear off and doesn't provide quick relief when first applied. That is why I keep Afrin No-Drip Severe Congestion at my bedside for those days that I actually wake up out of my sleep, so stopped up that I can't breath in or out of my nose. Its scent mildly resembles menthol and you may actually think that is the main ingredient. However, the active ingredient in this product is oxymetazoline hydrochloride, which is a vasoconstricting drug that is used topically in the form of its hydrochloride salt to reduce nasal congestion. The product offers 12-Hour Relief and is the #1 doctor and pharmacist recommended brand. Nevertheless, this OTC drug is not without side effects and should not be abused and it does warn you not to use it for more than THREE DAYS. Therefore, please follow the manufacturer's directions. The over use of this drug can actually cause nasal irritations like itching and sneezing or even mild headache pain and dizziness. Further, the manufacturer advises
that if you have other medical conditions such as heart disease, high blood pressure, thyroid disease, diabetes or an enlarged prostate gland, you should consult with a physician before use of this product. I agree that you should always follow your doctors orders, but if you ever run out of your prescription, it wears off too soon, or
its just not working fast enough, you might want to keep a bottle of Afrin on hand for emergency purposes.