3.8

3.8

Pros

Cons

AT&T Universal Card effectively pays 2.5% cashback

I have had the AT&T Universal Card for almost two years. Of all my credit cards, it is the one with the lowest APR at 8.24%. If that is not enough of a spectacular feature, it pays an effective rate of cashback of 2.5% when used as directed. The first year, the rate is double as 5%. To get the 2.5%, all you need to do is use it to pay your AT&T bills and then match the total of those payments with an equal total amount in any other purchases.

AT&T provides both my home phone landline and my wireless phone service. My charges amount to more than $100 per month. So, then I take the card to pay for an equal amount in groceries, dining, gas, whatever. If I want to buy more than AT&T bills total, I can go online and pay extra on my phone bills using the Universal Card. This simply generates credit on those bills that will go toward my phone charges in the future. As long as the AT&T total equals the total of the non-AT&T purchases, the cashback I receive instantly on my statement, as an immediate rebate on my balance amounts to 2.5%.  And there is no need to wait for the cashback to add up to $50 or $30 before I get the reward with this card. It is always an instant rebate applied to my credit card balance. It is one of the most lucrative cashback programs for a credit card anywhere.

Interest rate way too high and pays off low interest balance 1st

Normally, when you are with a company for several years, you get the 'red carpet' treatment when you're really good, and you should get the 'red carpet' treatment when things happen that are out of your control.

My relationship with Universal card used to be a good one, but I guess that was based on the fact that I was never late, always paid over the amount due, and always spent money on my card.

Over the last couple of years, aside from the financial burdens placed on us by government, I had my own personal battles with cancer (several surgeries), a new grandchild (born to my 15 yr old), and the need to acquire legal counsel for custody issues.

After attempting to make arrangements online to make payments on my overwhelming AT&T card balance, and then attempting to talk to  live person via their automated system, I find that my ENTIRE balance due each month is strictly interest fees and late charges.

I requested that they waive interest rates so that I could pay on my balance, or to direct my payments to the highest interest items first, and to be patient because of my situation.

Did it work?  Absolutely not.  Last month I had 8 messages from them, during the day when they know I'm at work, requesting payment and asking why I was not making any arrangements.

They also ran a special in 2009 where you would get a percentage credit toward your bill for paying at least your minimum amount due for 6 months in a row.  I followed that to the T, thinking the credit would help lower my balance due for at least one month.  Never saw the credit.  Apparently, they are still checking on it.  I can wait for my credit, but they can't wait fo their interest.

My advice would be, if you can't afford to pay it off in one month, don't charge it.  It's a continuous battle, one that I will be fighting for a few years yet.   And if you can avoid it, don't get a card with a company you don't bank with.  Always read the fine print, and if they make you an offer like the one I got, keep copies of at least those months where you followed their requests.  Even that may not be enough, because by the time you chase them down on it, the special will be over.

Writing this for my parents

from Loraine, Texas

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

Stay clear they treat people bad. My parents have had this card since 1999 thier bill is always paid on time and AT&T cancelled thier card because they have not used it for 6 months. They are elderly and disabled so they use this card to buy for the holidays so it is not like they don't use the card just not ever 6 months and this is how this company treats loyal customers.

Great rewards card for AT&T members.

Profile Image

from Florida

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I have had this rewards card for about. a year, when I switched back to AT&T last summer. I was offered the chance to get one and have loved it ever since.

I mainly use this card for purchases online, for gas and for larger purchases. I like the rates, the rewards program is fanstastic. I also love that it ties in with AT&T and that is a big plus for me. I wish that I had been clued in about it sooner, would of made the switch a lot sooner.

I've always had smooth transactions. Checking my balance and spending online has always been easy.

Customer service us also top notch. There have been times when I haven't been able to get on the computer to check things , so I have called customer service and they have always been professional and helpful.

Customer Service
Some of the best phone conversations with cusromer service reps have been through there reps. Always patient and professional.

Available Rates
Great rates. I've been happy.

• Available Rates:

The BEST Credit Card Ever!

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I am a charter member and have had AT&T Universal MasterCard since the first or second year AT&T issued the card.

I use it for all my medical expenses and other big purchases. AT&T along with Citi Bank have without a doubt treated me with great respect and earned my trust. I would be lost with my AT&T Universal Card.

THANK YOU AT&T for recognizing your charter members and I feel a sense of pride whenever I see printed on my card. I will be with you for as long as you will have me.

Customer Service
I have never in all the years as a Charter Member needed Customer Service.

universal card

from Bellevue, NE

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I've had my card for years, since before Citi bought it, and I've never had a problem. It's accepted everywhere, and the Citi thank you rewards are great. All I have to do is use it, and I get points. I usually use the points for credit on the card, so it's like cash back. A while back I had a problem getting on the website and the people were very concerned and helpful and called me back to make sure it was working again. i can pay the bill online on the day it's due and get it credited right away. I also have a Discover card, but I use the Universal card most of the time. I can't see a reason not to.

Customer Service
When I had a problem getting on line a while back they were very concerned and helpful and even called me back to make sure it was working and I was able to access my account

Available Rates
I don't really know how to answer this question because I always pay off my balance, so I'm ranking in the middle because there's not an "I don't know" answer. I don't pay attention to rates because I don't carry a balance.

AT&T Universal Card

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I have been a charter member since 1990. This was one of my very first credit cards when everyone else would turn me down. This is without a doubt my prefered card and I use it with knowing it carries a name you can depend on, AT&T! Sure Citibank owns the credit card but the name belongs to AT&T and you can bet they will not allow that name to be comprimised. Here it is almost 23 years later and I still consider this my number one card! So far, Citibank has shown a great deal of respect to this AT&T Universal Card Charter Member. Thank you AT&T and Citibank.

Available Rates
Some years back my interest rate doubled but because AT&T and Citibank WILL listen to their customers, I sent a complaint and my interest rate has been the lowest of all my credit cards.

• Available Rates:

Great card with excellnet service.

from Debary, FL

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I have been a user of AT&T Universal card since it's inception in the early 90's.  I was attracted to the card as an empolyee (now retired).   I have found the service to be outstanding.  I have no experience with disputes and the attraction of the card was no fee.  I do not carry balances so the interest rate is of no concern to me.  the card has gone thru a couple of transitions related to rewards points.  Originally the rewards were ok (not great) and I did manage to get a $100 home depot card yearly with my points.  They did recently change the card awards and it is much less attractive.  However, that is not the reason i have the card.  the AT&T card used to be my primary card but I changed to an AMEX cash back card as my primary so my spending went down considerable.  I use this card where AMEX is not accepted.  I make 75% of my purchases on AMEX and the remaining 25% on the AT&T card.

There fraud protection is excellent.  I had one instance of a vendor compromising my card and they froze my account and opened a new onae and sent a new card.

Overall, it is a good card but not one necessarily with a great rewards program.

In todays times not a bad card to deal with !

from Oxford, PA

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

ATT Universal Card is probably one of the best cards out there. Ease of dealing with the Bank.Great Customer Service. Always there during hours of operations. The card has Fraud alerts ,Shopping ideas,discount benefits etc.

They canceled my card after paying on time for over 15 years

from Groton, MA

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I used to love this card...it was the first card I got in college and I have had it for over 15 years.  I have always paid them even when I could not pay others.  This year they gave me the option of paying 29% on my remaining balance to keep the card and continue using it or close the account & pay 10.75% until it is paid off.  I lost my job three times this year and still paid them...I felt this was unfair.  They don't care...I did nothing to them.  Now, since this is my longest standing credit account it is going to significantly lower my credit score when I give the account up, but who wants to pay almost 30% on old balances.

AT&T Universal Card effectively pays 2.5% cashback

from Huntsville, TX

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

If you don't need a credit card, don't get one!

from Stayton, OR

Comments about AT&T - Universal Platinum MasterCard:

I used to be very good at limiting the amounts and items that I purchased with my credit card, and actually have had some pretty good interest deals over the years.  Then I got in to the rut of transferring balances from one card to another, when I'd get a 'special' offer.  Eventually, I found myself way over my head in debts, and unable to dig myself out over the course of several months.

Few credit card companies seem to be sympathetic, and will charge the overlimit fee when it's their interest fees that place your balance in the 'overlimit' category.  Be very careful to watch your account if you're even CLOSE to the limit, and always take into account an approximate of what your interest fees are going to be, and take that off your available balance to use.

Another little item of interest that this credit card company has done, is raised my interest % when it was apparent I was foundering.  I am ALWAYS efficient in paying my necessary payment due, and always pay a little more than they ask.  This alone should be an indication to them that instead of raising rates, they should reward on time payments with lower rates.

Regardless, it's a horrible cycle to get into, so if you don't need a credit card, and can't afford those extras that you think you need, avoid getting any kind of a credit card unless you can pay the balance IN FULL every month.