View more cloth diapers

bumGenius
bumGenius 2.0 Diapers

bumGenius 2.0 Diapers

4.1

Bumgenius OS pockets are great from infancy to potty-learning!

I have been using BumGenius one-size pocket diapers for about 3 years now and they really are great cloth diapers that you can use from the time your baby is just a few months old (or possibly from birth if you have a baby with exceptionally chunky thighs!), all the way to the potty-learning phase.  The aplix makes changing them quick and easy, especially once they get into that rolling run-away toddler stage!  They are just as easy to put on as a disposable diaper so they work great for family members who are not well acquainted with cloth, baby-sitters, day care, your church nursery, etc.  The suede cloth lining does not seem to hold on to stains as badly as some of the other fleece diapers out there, and they dry quickly with their two-part design.  A few issues that I have had with the BumGenius pocket diapers are that the aplix can wear out after some time, the laundry tabs can wear out rather quickly, and the elastic in the legs can get stretched or go bad during the lifetime of the diaper.  These are repairable issues, and cottonbabies does sell repair kits, but they are design flaws that will hopefully be improved with coming versions.  That said, these diapers are trim so they fit under any clothes (including jeans), I have never had a problem with them wicking through the PUL, they do NOT stink if you wash them properly, and they are cute and easy-to-use.  I would definitely recommend them for moms looking to try cloth for their little one!

GREAT fit, but could use some improvement on...

GREAT fit, but could use some improvement in a few areas.  The fit is phenomenal & better tham any other one size pocket cloth diaper I have tried to date & I have tried A LOT of them!!  The included inserts, a one size & a newborn insert, are VERY absorbent & will outlast the diaper, in my opinion.  The newborn insert is perfect to use as a booster for naps, car rides, etc. when your little one no longer uses the newborn only insert.  I have found the rise snaps on these diapers to be very durable, WAY better than another popular brand with the initials HH.

The downsides to the 2.0s Bum Genius diapers are that they tend to leak (also known as wicking) through the stretchy side tabs during any time when my child is side laying, which is very inconvenient during naps.  I don't want to have to strip the bed down & wash sheets every time my child naps, in addition to having to change my child's clothing too.  Also, the aplix/ velcro closure tabs do NOT last.  I have had some that were only worn & washed one time per week as diaper bag only diapers, & the tabs were barely sticking after 4-5 months.  The leg & back elastic also wear out pretty fast, even when I have line dried my pockets (indoors) & not exposed them to the dryer (besides the intial dryer cycle they tell you to use & the one they tell you to run every so often to help the aplix/ velcro stick again).  Cotton Babies does sell replacement kits now, but who wants to have to repair diapers that are less than a year old.  I save them as "Daddy" diapers (for when DH is changing a diaper if I am busy or not home) & diaper bag diapers to keep them lasting as long as possible.

They are SUPER easy to use for daddies, caregivers, etc. and the pocket itself is SUPERIOR as far as leaks go (besides the wicking through the stretchy sides during napping).  I have only had a few leaks around the legs and or back in these, which I can't say for the HH brand.  There is NO wing droop, no front of the diaper folding inward & coming off the baby, no scratches on my baby's tummy or chunky thighs from the aplix, which was a horrible problem I had with all kinds of other aplix close diapers.

The suede cloth inners do provide a great stay dry feeling for your little one, are pretty stain resistant (except to diaper cream, which NO cloth diaper inner works well with diaper cream... a BIG no no in the cloth diapering world!!), soft, & don't pill up like the other cloth diapers with fleece inners.  If your diapers do stain, just lay them or hang them in the sun to dry & voila, the stains will disappear as the diapers dry.  The sun also kills germs, yeast, bacteria, etc.  If you don't have a clothesline or place to hang dry your diapers, you can lay them on lawn or patio furniture (or if you have a silly homeowner's association rule about drying clothes or anything outside, like I do), the grass, etc.  You can also hang them in the window & sun them through the window.  It won't work as fast as hanging them directly outside, but it will work.

If you want a diaper that will perform in a superior fashion (minus the side laying leaks), but may only last for a while, THIS is it... if you are looking for a diaper that will outperform the others in durability, this is not for you.  BUT, if you don't mind repairing these diapers, which is not that hard when you figure out what to do, then these may be the best diaper for you.  Oh, & these do tend to run a bit on the smaller size as far as one size diapers go.  The other one size "HH" diaper runs more true to size, although if your child potty learns by the age of 2 or so, the Bum Genius 2.0 one size should last size-wise.  If you have an average to smaller size child they will last, but if you have a bigger for their age size baby, then they may be a lil' snug at 2 YO.  They barely fit my 2 YO who was about 25lbs at the time.  She was also about 34-36" tall at that time time (we have VERY tall kiddos!! LOL).

The nice thing about cloth diapers is that when you are done with them, want to try another brand, etc. they can be resold or traded for others on sites like Diaper Swappers & AOL message boards.  You can even sell diapers that need repair work because there are some mamas who are very handy & can fix them up like new.  There is also the option of having someone convert the diapers to snap closure when the velcro tabs & closure panels wear out, if you would like snaps instead.  They would last a lot longer than aplix or velcro. The downside to having them converted is that you may lose a little bit of room by not having the velcro / aplix tabs extending past the edge of the diaper, but it would be a trade off you may find worthwile to have usuable diapers that will last longer.  I also believe that Bum Genius diapers that have been converted to snaps hold a higher resale value depending upon the condition of the rest of the diaper.

I prefer pocket diapers over all in ones because I have found they are easier to wash & don't run the risk of retaining odors as do all in ones with several layers of absorbent material in the wet zone.  Sure you have to stuff them, but I don't mind that knowing they are 100% clean.  They are a bit on the bulky side in the bum area underneath pants, shorts, etc. but it is a trade off I am willing to make for being able to use cloth & not have leaks.

Amazing cloth diaper

from Durham, NC

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

I love these diapers.  My friends all used disposables and had a whole bunch of blowouts.  I have had absolutely none over the six months with my rather poopy baby!  I use the bumgenius! during the day and then switch to disposable at night when liquid absorbency is more of a must.  Overall these are excellent diapers and will use them with future kids!

Pretty good diapers

from Center Barnstead, NH

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

I use BG and Fuzzi Bunz with my son.  The Bum Genius tend to work well, but wick a bit around the tabs.  If he's wearing a onesie that touches the edge of the diaper, he has some leaks.  Not too bad if I'm careful.I love the Cotton Babies inserts, and have ordered extras to use with the FBs.The inside lining holds up well, doesn't stain easily.  I need to strip them about every 2 months to keep them from repelling.  I haven't had any issues with stink.The velcro tabs tend to wear out pretty quickly, but the company will send you replacement tabs to put on.I like the adjustability - he's used these for 6.5 months now, and has quite a bit of room to go.  Could use a bit mote color variety, though.  The pastels are cute as a baby, but as a toddler boy, I'd rather see some better colors.

Should be called Fab Genius

from Orange Park, FL

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

I LOVE these diapers.  I have both the AIO and the pockets, and have found both to be fantastic products.  I bought 5 BG 2.0 pockets when I first started cloth diapering, and I also purchased 5 BG 1.0 (nylon) pockets off of craigslist.  The 2.0s are so much easier to care for!  So far I haven't had any problems with leaking.  I have been washing them with baking soda & vinegar when I begin to notice an odor, and it seems to help. I have never had a blowout with these diapers, which is more than I can say for any disposable! I think they're super easy to use, and a great transition into cloth diapering if you're new to it, just a great diaper if you're not new!

Seemed great at first, but less so later

from Peyton, CO

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

At first I thought these were the best.  I had a few Bum Genius AIO's and it was so quick and easy to change!  However, now that they are about 6 months old it seems like they don't absorb as well as they used to and they also easily get stinky whereas my other diapers don't.  I don't know what it is about the design but my friend has the same problems with her BG AIOs.

My very favorite cloth diaper

from Shirley, MA

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

Love how easy these are!  They fit very well from little babe right up to potty training, as long as your babe isn't too chunky.  Not nearly as bulky as other cloth diapers.

Two things I didn't like.  The laundry tabs wear out and the velcro ends up sticking to everything.  I just stick the two tabs together.

Also, it takes a lot of rinsing to get all the soap out of the inserts or they develop a smell.

bumGenius 2.0 Diapers are my 2nd favorite

from Virginia Beach, VA

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

These are my second favorite cloth diapers. I do really like the nice soft colors, and the fabric is a very nice quality. The PUL feels thicker and nicer than some of my other diapers, and the suede cloth liner is very nice and has not pilled at all in the four months since we've been using these. They wash and dry very well. I use a liquid detergent with no softeners or brigteners and just do an extra rinse. I usually line dry the cover and put the insert in the dryer. I like that these diapers can be used for the entire time you are diapering your baby, but the snaps are a little untidy-looking and sometimes come unsnapped when I'm trying to wrestle the diaper onto my squirmy 18 month old. My favorite diapers are Fuzzi Bunz.

Bum genius 2.0 not worth the investment

from Round Rock, TX

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

These were my first one size diapers after making the switch from prefolds. I purchased a second hand lot from www.diaperswappers.com. My hubby didn't want to risk hurting baby (or himself!) with snappi fastners or pins, so I wanted to get an easy diaper that we could both use everyday.

and every day we did! We wore out everything on those suckers--the elastic, the velcro, the PUL. I am currently coverting my Bum Genius 3.0 to snaps, but all I could salvage from the Bum Genius 2.0 were the snaps from the one size adjustments--those are still going strong!

I wouldn't recommend these diapers, because even if you were to covert the worn out velcro to snaps, the PUL and elastic would be next, and that is just too much time and effort when there are better products (we're loving spartipants right now) out there that encompass it all--durable snaps, elastic, and onesize.

bumGenius 2.0 Diapers are the BEST!

from Dublin, OH

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

A friend of mine got me started with cloth diapering, and she recommended bumGenius 2.0 Diapers to me right from the start. I have been cloth diapering for over 6 months now, and I am extremely satisfied with these diapers. We bought the one-size kind, and I would highly recommend that others go that route as well. Our baby was able to fit into them when she was one month old (on the smallest adjustment). With 2 additional sizes to go, I can see that our baby will more than likely be able to wear these until she is potty trained. The biggest complain that I have is that the velcro seems to cause small cuts on her skin from time to time. I'm not sure what causes this to happen some times and not others, but I imagine that there are other brands that don't have this problem. Overall, these seem to be holding up very well and are a huge money saver!!!

Cloth diapers as close to a disposale as you can get!

from Broomfield, CO

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

For ease of use, these diapers are as close to a disposable as you can get! I use many different cloth diapers in my routine and always use these ones for babysitters and dad since they are so easy to use. I've used my 2.0's for about 2 years and they have held up well to all the washing. I only hang them to dry as I don't want to shorten their lives by drying in the dryer. The colors are cute and don't seem to have faded much over time. I love that you can stuff these depending on how heavy of a wetter you have and use different inserts. I even use prefolds in these diapers sometimes. I rarely have had a leak with these diapers either!

My couple of complaints about them are that the microfiber inserts get stinky after awhile and the aplix tabs can lose some of their stickyness. I don't think that the microfiber issue is a bumGenius issue as it is more of a fabric issue. All of my different brands of microfiber inserts have become stinky at one point or another. I think it is more a problem with the syntheticness of the fabric. Aplix also tends to lose stickyness over time on all of my other diapers as well, so I just assume if I am going to use diapers with Aplix tabs, I will have to replace them over time!

I have been really happy with these diapers overall and would purchase them again if I needed more diapers!

Pretty Good Diapers

from Murfreesboro, TN

Comments about bumGenius 2.0 Diapers:

I have tried a lot of different methods of cloth diapering and a lot of different types of diapers. I also have a baby who has been a heavy wetter at times and normal at other times. Overall I like these diapers. They're easy to use, super cute, fit well, and easy to care for. My main complaint is that they don't hold up to the normal wear and tear a baby and the laundry puts them through. The velcro does not hold up well and the areas around the velcro tend to pill. Despite the diapers not holding up as well, I haven't had a problem with leaking and I have never had a blowout with these diapers. My baby has been wearing them since she was 3 months old and she is now 16 months so the fit is suprisingly good for all size babies!