Other Cloth Diapers:

Thirsties Diaper Cover

Pros

Cons

• Absorbency:

An inexpensive, easy-to-use diaper cover.

I just had my first baby two months ago, and have only used Thirsties diaper covers with prefolds.  This system works very well for me, and I like the covers very much.  There are fourteen colors to choose from, and four sizes.  X-small fits babies from 6-12 pounds, small fits from 12-18 pounds, medium fits from 18-28 pounds, and large fits from 28-40 pounds.  My baby is approaching the 12-pound mark, and when she outgrows the covers we currently have I will be ordering more Thirsties covers.  They're inexpensive as far as cloth diapering goes, but they have held up very well with only minor poop stains on the leg gussets (these can be removed by setting the covers in direct sunlight).  They are also very good at containing messes; she's only had one blowout, and that was when she hadn't had a bowel movement for almost a day, so there was really a ton of it.  Otherwise, they have been able to contain some quite large messes.  When a mess leaks out of the prefold into the cover, washing is as simple as throwing it in with the dirty prefolds; no special washing is necessary, which is a huge plus.  Using cloth diapers is quite a bit bulkier than using disposables, and these covers are thin enough that they don't add any extra bulk, which is also nice.  There are a couple of negative points about Thirsties covers.  Of course, they can't be used on their own without a prefold or similar type of diaper.  If you're looking for diapers you can put on in one step, prefolds and covers aren't for you.  Also, when she's been wearing a diaper for a while the cover starts to carry an odor.  This can be minimized by wiping the cover out with a wipe when you change your baby's diaper, but you can't get by with just one or two covers because this only really works for 12 hours or so.  As a side note, you will want to buy at least four or five covers.  I only have three, and while I'm getting by just fine for the most part, I do wish I had more and will be ordering at least four when I need to buy more.  Overall, I recommend these covers very highly.

Thirsties Duos are economical but may not last

Thirsties Duo diaper covers are a brilliant concept, but ultimately left much to be desired.

This waterproof diaper cover is trim and comes in many bright colors. Similar to their regular Thirsties covers, the Duo covers are special in that they are designed to fit a wider range of sizes.

The size 1 covers are supposed to fit babies 6-18 pounds, and size 2 18-40 pounds. Hopefully, this will cover a child's entire time while in diapers.

The size adjusts by snapping down a row of snaps on the middle of the diaper. You fasten the diaper to the baby with aplix tabs.

There are gussets at the leg which provide a snug fit, reducing the chance of a leak or blow-out.

You can lay a tri-folded diaper inside, use a prefold with a Snappi or pins, or try a fitted diaper underneath the Thirsties Duo. We use an Indian prefold and do a newspaper-style fold.

If the diaper was merely wet, you can change the diaper and use the same cover, or air it out in between uses. For that reason, you can buy fewer covers and save money in the long run.

My son started wearing these covers at about 6 months of age and approximately 18 lbs. He's now 13 months and 23 pounds, and we're still using the covers on the smallest snap setting, though I do think we'll go to the middle setting soon.

He is in the 50th percentile for weight and 90th for height. I do think these covers will work for his body for awhile longer.

But.

We have had numerous quality problems with these covers. One cover, the aplix became unstitched. The second cover a snap completely separated from the fabric. There was no way to repair it. The third cover wore out on the actual cover, so liquid could get through.

The first two problems occurred within the first 90 days of purchasing the product, so it was covered under the company's warranty. They replaced the diapers at no cost to me. The third problem happened beyond the warranty so I was out of luck.

I would wholeheartedly recommend these diaper covers, except for the fact that I've had so many problems with their quality. These don't get a ton of use in our diaper rotation, and we've only been using them for seven months. I don't see how they will last us until my son is potty trained, much less for another child.

Very nice, comfortable and easy to use

from Attleboro, MA

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

I will admit right off the bat that I am a novice cloth-diaper user. I mainly use responsible disposables, but I wanted to incorporate some cloth into our routine. I had a few pre-folds around, that were always just used as burp cloths, but I always wondered how they would work as diapers, but did not know how to do it. I purchased some of the training pant covers from Gerber, but they were very loud, very uncomfortable and did not work so well, as they were just elastic bands around each hole. So I thought I would invest in a cover or two, ones that I could just throw over the pre-folds I already had. I ordered this one online and I really like it. It is very easy to use, easy to adjust, and holds in moisture well. I went on and bought another one, so I guess that speaks for itself! I am very interested in the new hybrid type cloth diapers, but since I already had the pre-folds, I went with this one. I also really liked the size range, this diaper cover fits a very large range of weights, as it is adjustable with the velcro fasteners.

• Absorbency:

Great, cute diaper cover!

from Lubbock, TX

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

We started cloth diapering my daughter when she was about two months old. Thirsties was one of the first kinds I tried (we tried a ton of different brands and styles). I love the Thirsties diaper cover. They always seemed to fit her really well. The best thing about this cover is the leg gussets. It makes the cover fit so much better on your baby plus it keeps anything that should stay inside the diaper, inside the diaper! Thirsties has a TON of cute prints and lots of colors to choose from. They are very easy to use and hold up very well. They work well with other brands of diapers, too. If you cloth diaper, you have to try this cover!

The cover comes in snaps or Velcro closures. I prefer snaps because I never remember to fold the Velcro down before washing them! Both styles are easy to use and make for quick and easy diaper changes!

Comfort
Love how well these fit my baby. There was no weird bulging or bunching.

Love my Thirsties!

from Roanoke, VA

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

I have been cloth diapering for six months now and really love it! When my baby was a newborn, I had the prefold diapers and two of the Thirsties extra small covers. I really liked the Thirsties diaper covers and found that they worked well. They have good elastic and nice gusssets on the sides. They did not leave marks on my baby's legs which I also really liked. Those marks are not comfortable when I get them, so I am sure they are not comfortable for a baby and I do not like seeing them! The Thirsties worked really well and I can only think of maybe one or two times that I had anything leak out. They help hold everything in with the prefold and I would definitely recommend the Thirsties diaper covers if you are going to cloth diaper with the prefold type of inserts. I used the Snappis fasteners with them and it worked really well. My Thirsties had the velcro closure which I also liked. Great product!

One of the best covers

from Monticello, MN

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

These are great covers at a great price. Diaper covers and prefolds, flats, really anything absorbent, is a great way to cloth diaper for a reasonable price. I like that the Thirsties covers come in a variety of sizes whether you want to do the Duo or the sized covers. I mostly have sized covers. Thirsties also makes a variety of cute prints. I like that it is just a basic cover for a very good price. I have a number of these and haven't had any problems with delaminating or really any wear. I use hook and loop because it is a lot faster and easier than snaps. My girl is now 16 months old and has figured out how to take the diaper off but I typically just put something over the diaper and then it isn't a problem. The one thing that I don't really like is how wide it is between the legs. It works well over every fitted diaper that I have including overnight diapers, but with just a Flip microfiber insert in it, I really don't need that much extra cover and I just feel like it ends up as bulk between the legs.

• Absorbency:

Nice inexpensive option for a well fitting cover.

from Winchendon, MA

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

These are a great option for cloth diaper covers. One of the reasons I started cloth diapering was to save money and many cloth diapers can be a very pricey initial investment. Thirsties covers with prefolds underneath can be a very economical option. They do the job well, easy and quick to use which is a must with a wiggly baby or toddler they make it simple to get a great fit. I prefer the velcro version as you can customize fit a bit more but it also comes in snaps which tends to last a bit longer. It has nice double leg gussets to contain even the runniest mess and prevent leaks. Its also a great option because it can be reused for more than one diaper change if the diaper was just wet. Simply wipe the inside of the cover and you are good to go again. They wash and wear well and lasted us over the course of two children. The one downside is that its not as breathable as a natural cover (like wool) but its still a great inexpensive option that does the job well.

• Absorbency:

best diaper cover for the price.

from Cranston, RI

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

i have been cloth diapering for many years & i have spent a small fortune on diaper covers - the cute ones, the trendy ones.. and i always come back to Thirsties. they can be handed down which is a huge plus in a big family. the wash very well & they do not retain orders. i just wish they had more colours!

Thirsties is the best in diaper covers!

from Lebanon, TN

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

I am new to cloth diapers but have found after trying several different brands I like Thirsties the best. They have a fantastic fit, allowing you to use them for quite a range in sizes. Example: size medium covers from 18 - 28 lbs, by adjusting the velcro you still get a great fit all throughout the weight range. The fabric is very flexible and breathable leaving baby as comfortable as possible. The top and sides are covered with a soft edging that won't rub baby raw. Clean up is a breeze - wet diapers you can just wipe out and reuse multiple times before washing along with your next baby clothes load, covers from dirty diapers I just throw in with the cloth diapers to wash and hang to dry (if they were soiled, that is). I have yet to have one leak, but I always make sure the cloth diaper is well tucked inside the cover. If you leave any edges untucked they will wick the moisture through to the clothing - this is true with any diaper cover.

If you are new to cloth diapering or an old pro, I would say you can't go wrong with the Thirsties diaper covers!

Super cute and doesn't LEAK!

from Cullman, AL

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

For the first few months with all the breastmilk poop explosions going on and up and around and spilling onto pretty much everything I use PUL covers instead of wool because I would be washing it every day to get the poop out. So.. I need a cover that not only can take abuse but can keep the poop off of my furniture , the rug, the carseat, and everything else my sweet little stink bomb can throw at me.

Needless to say I finally stumbled upon this diaper cover, I can't remember if I bought it new or used, or what have you but I did get it and compared to other PUL covers w/o leg gussets these are hands down the best.

I have to say one con though before I continue thanking them for my stain free ( at least poop stain free) furniture is they do wick moisture through some of the sides when the diaper is completely saturated in pee, but if you change your baby more than every 4 hours this shouldn't be a problem. :)

These a super soft and not crunchy or plastic feeling like other covers can tend to feel. So Totally not your moms plastic pants!

My favorite diaper cover!

from Escondido, CA

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

Thirsties is hands down my very favorite diaper cover. We mainly do prefolds and my number one go-to cover is my thirsties. We currently own three of them and they are all on the second child in my family and they still work just as well as when they were fresh out of the box.  One of them did stain a bit, but that's to be expected when it's dealing with poop all the time :P.  The elastic has held up wonderfully, I don't have any other diapers whose elastic has held up as well as these thirsties covers.  They fit comfotably around my babies tummy and thighs and seem to be porportioned acurrately for babies of all sizes.  No digging in on the thighs, which a lot of covers seem to do.  The velcro makes it easy for you to adjust to the growth of your baby and lets you adjust accordingly.  You can re-use them several times before you need to wash them, as long as you don't get any poop on them of course :).

Essential

from Maricopa, AZ

Comments about Thirsties Diaper Cover:

Anyone who uses prefolds or fitteds needs a few of these.  Thirsties are simple PUL covers with gussets, and very generously sized.  An extra small is probably going to work best for a newborn.  They'll fit over even the bulkiest diaper, wash up easily, and show little wear.  Covers that have been outgrown can also be used, with no diaper underneath, as a swim diaper, since they'll hold in any poop.  They're not absorbent, of course, but neither are any other swim diapers, now should they be.

We used our Thirsties over prefolds, held in place with a Snappi, but other parents tri-folded a prefold, and just laid it in the cover.  I never dealt with any leaks from one of these covers.  They're not at all breathable, but PUL isn't by nature.  They are very easy to fit to your baby, and the company's come out with a version with an adjustable rise, which makes them even better value - though normal Thirsties are certainly cheap enough.