Other E-commerce Websites:

Zappos.com

Pros

Cons

The Service Company that Just Happens to Sell Shoes

I don't like to shop. Never have. And when it comes to shoes, I do tons of research online so I know what I want, and I really hate driving from shoe store to shoe store in the hopes that I'll find it. Enter **Zappos.com**, an incredibly large retailer of mens, womens and childrens shoes, bags and accessories online.

**About Zappos.com**Zappos sells shoes, but their website proclaims that they're a "service company that just happens to sell shoes". By my very nature, I don't believe any website's claims of their spectacular service until I have a chance to experience it myself, and with Zappos, I have.

The company, founded in 1999, sells an immensely wide variety of shoes. Their website is easy to navigate, and when searching for shoes you can see customer reviews of each shoe, along with the percentage of customers who felt that the shoe was true to their size, true to their width and that the shoe had good arch support.

Most people are uncomfortable buying shoes online, because the fit of a shoe is a very personal thing. I often range from a size 8.5 to 9.5 when buying shoes, and so I almost never know if the shoe I'm going to get from an online store will fit perfectly or not. That's where the Zappos return and shipping policy comes in.

**Zappos.com - Free Shipping *AND* Free Returns!**Zappos offers free overnight shipping on all of their shoe purchases, and their shipping is astonishingly fast. My last order went in on a Sunday afternoon. By Sunday evening I had a shipping confirmation and my order was on my doorstep Tuesday morning.

Each purchase from Zappos comes with a large receipt with specific instructions for returning the item, for free, in its original condition within the next **365 days**. I've never heard of any other company offering such a long return period. Part of my order contained some very expensive socks that I had purchased, which were too large in spite of the website's claim that they would fit a woman's size 9. Following the instructions on my receipt I went online, clicked on my order, selected the socks, processed a return form by answering just a couple of questions, and printed out a return shipping label for UPS, all without having to pay a single extra penny.

**About Zappos.com Customer Service**But my wonder at the Zappos experience doesn't end there. When I purchased my shoes on Sunday evening, I ordered a size 9. Checking my other pair of shoes (by the same manufacturer, and a very similar style) about five minutes later, I saw that in fact they were a size *9.5*. I called the 1-800 number at the top of the Zappos.com website, and within just a few rings the most amazing thing happened - something that I've only heard about in fairy tales and urban legends: ***On Sunday afternoon (Easter Sunday no less) an actual human answered the phone without me having to navigate tons of call center menus!***

Once I got over my astonishment, I had a great conversation with someone named Stuart on the other end, who quickly helped me cancel the order for the wrong size, and process a new order with the size I needed. He had a friendly and polite voice, and was incredibly helpful without being smarmy.

Reading the Zappos.com website, I found this interesting tidbit about their customer service:

*"...every new employee that we hire in our corporate office is required to go through 4 weeks of Customer Loyalty training (answering phones in our call center) before starting the actual job that he/she was actually hired for. To us, customer service isn't just a department -- it is the entire company."*

**Cat's Bottom Line**The selection at Zappos.com is great, and their prices are in-line with other online retailers. All of that is wonderful, but where Zappos *really* shines is their customer service and their generous return policy. If you've ever been nervous about buying shoes online, Zappos is the place to help put all those fears to rest. I highly recommend Zappos.com to anyone who wants to buy a good pair of shoes, but doesn't want to drive all around town to find them.

**Zappos.com: http://www.zappos.com**

Zappos.com Sold Counterfeit UGG Boots to Me!

I ordered a pair of UGG Tall Bomber Boots, and they were counterfeit! At first it did not hit me until I was weather treating my daughter's UGGs which were purchased from a department store. Nevertheless, I should have know because as soon as I opened the box, the boots were wrapped in white tissue paper; they were not in the UGG wrapping, the fur was rough, the stitching around the trim of the shaft was sloppy, and the label stitching was not completely sewn down. In addition, the box did not have the security seal on it!

When I called Zappos customer service, the first representative tried to tell me that "Zappos did not sell" me counterfeit UGG boots. However, when I explained the legality of it: "If I ordered FROM Zappos, and Zappos removed the money out of account, and the boots WERE delivered to me FROM Zappos in a ZAPPOS BOX, then Zappos DID sell me counterfeit UGG boots!" The most he was willing to do was send me a return packing slip and a $30 credit. At that point, I requested to speak to a manager. Bottom Line: The manager pulled up the boots that I bought and saw that they were actually returned by someone, and 'somehow' they did not catch the counterfeit. HUH??????

Nevertheless, their warehouse sent me the boots. Thus, Zappos is responsible! As a single mother who is in graduate school, works in higher education part time, and has a child who is about to attend college in fall 2013 and a child in her first year of high school, the boots were selected because it was cost effective for me ---- and I needed a pair of warm boots. The manager, Ronnie, reimbursed my money and offered the $30 voucher.

Unfortunately, there were not ANY boots left in my size 8 that I was interested in purchasing nor in a style that I liked on the website. Where does that leave me? It leaves me without a pair of boots! Although she profusely apologized, I now have to go to a department store or order on another site and pay (more than likely) more money for a major screw up by Zappos at the expense of me.....a paying customer. AND.... I cannot use a voucher from Zappos. Therefore, I will either be without a new pair of boots or out of more money.

I am extremely dismayed, upset, flabbergasted, and disgusted that Zappos' customer service/quality control department allowed this to happen. They should have offered me the pick on ANY boot for their drastic mistake. Selling counterfeit Uggs is illegal, and I will be sending this notification to UGG. More importantly, I am extremely wary of purchasing from Zappos. If it happened to me, I am seriously wondering how many other paying customers are clueless about their purchase. Check your items when you buy here, but remember.....if they cannot fully render the situation, then you will be like me when you hang up the phone: A DISSATISFIED CUSTOMER!!!

Very good site, very thankful there is a company like zappos

from Pensacola Florida

Comments about Zappos.com:

Love zappos, couldn't be any happier with my product.

awesome customer service!!

from abilene texas

Comments about Zappos.com:

I was originally going to give them a bad review because I placed an order for Christmas and when my wife tried on her gift it didn't fit. This was the size she wears but it didn't fit which is inconvenient. So after Christmas I called to exchange the item and talked to a guy who I think was named Phillip but I'm not sure. This guy was awesome and told me that he would mail out my new shoes today and I should get them in two days. I was confused because I still had the other shoes and he explained just mail them back within two weeks no big deal. But they were mailing out the new shoes even though they had not received the pair that I had. AWESOME!! So the next day guess what I got my wife's news shoes in ONE DAY. CRAZY. and I mailed the other ones off already. I am recommending this to everyone I know. The guy that I talked too was and they have an awesome policy on exchanges. It made my bad situation not so bad because she has her shoes and loves them. Thanks to the guy I talked to and to ZAPPOS. Paul

Fast Shipping, Excellent Customer Service!

from MI

Comments about Zappos.com:

I have been shopping on Zappos.com for quite a few years now, and I have never had one single instance of a bad experience.

Zappos.com is an online retailer of shoes, clothing, accessories, sunglasses, etc. I think a lot of people may have the impression that they only sell shoes, but Zappos.com is much more than just a shoe store!

The website is very neat and organized, making it extremely easy to find exactly what you are looking for. They really do have a LOT of product, so there are filters to the left side of the page to help you narrow your search down.

Shipping is always fast and free with Zappos.com, and what's even better - they let you return for free as well, for up to 365 days! It's amazing.

I have had to return only one item since I started shopping at Zappos.com, and I simply emailed them, they emailed me back a pre-paid return label, I shipped back my item and I was credited the amount very quickly.

They now offer next day shipping for VIP customers, for which I must qualify, because I ordered a pair of Oakley sunglasses this week and received them the very next day after ordering.

I cannot say enough good things about Zappos.com and I will continue to be a loyal customer.

Good quality Shoes

from Brooklyn, NY

Comments about Zappos.com:

Great selection. good prices.

something for everyone

from IN

Comments about Zappos.com:

Zappos.com is listed as the world's most popular shoe store, but is so much more! The website offers an easy to use set up, clearly marked tabs for women, men, children shoes for your entire family. However, there are also tabs marked for clothing, bags and handbags as well as accessories. The bags are very fashionable, name brand bags, such as Micheal Koors, at prices less than the large department stores. The bags are real, not a knock off as you might expect from an online source. The zappos.com website also sells gift cards, if you are unsure what to get, or are looking for an easy gift that will be appreciated by anyone, this is a great idea. I have always had quick shipping, although shipping charges do apply. I have never needed to exchange, but there is a clear exchange policy as well as instructions included with your order. Customer service is easily accessed through the website as well as a fit and measurement guide and honest customer reviews. Overall, Zappos.com is easy to use and offers good products at fair prices.

Great place to get shoes

from Texas

Comments about Zappos.com:

I have shopped at Zappos.com a few times for shoes. The only time I shop here is if they are having a sale. I notice if I shop when they aren't having a sale the prices are slightly higher than other retailers. When they do have sales though they have some really great prices even on name brand shoes. The shipping is a little slow but it's free so it's worth waiting for your product a little longer to get to you.

The site is very easy to use and navigate through. They have tons of tabs for you so you can go to the exact section of what you are looking for. There is also a section with customer reviews, which is great before you buy a product to see what other customers think of it.

Product Selection
They have a large variety of items, but I have really only bought shoes from them. They have clothing, handbags and shoes.

Product Pricing
The pricing is good if you can get an item on clearance or on sale. If you are buying something that isn't on sale you will pay a higher price than other online retailers.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping is very slow, but it's worth it because it's free. If you want something fast though I would shop somewhere else. I don't mind waiting because I'm not paying for the shipping.

• Shipping and Returns:

My first stop for shoes.

Comments about Zappos.com:

I shop ebay, amazon, overstock, and other online retailers. But, when it comes to designer name shoes, I start with zappos.com. In addition to having most major brands and new styles, they carry all sizes, plus they are more affordable than competitors. Great site, easy to find what you are looking for, and the latest styles are always available.

Shop by category, by price, or style. Whether it is for men or women, heels or flats, size 2 or 12, you can shop by a variety of search categories, making it easy to find what you are looking for, for less.

Product Selection
They carry all major name brands and styles. The site also has all types of shoes, from workout to casual, flats, heels, or boots. If you want to find the newest styles from the most well known name brands, you will here.

Product Pricing
Pricing tends to be lowest with zappos.com. I compare all top online sites (my favorites are ebay and amazon), and for newer shoes, this site usually has the best pricing.

Customer Service
They respond to email inquiries quickly. Also, if you have issues with an order (after placing or during the order process), they respond quickly and efficiently to your questions or concerns.

Shipping and Returns
Shipping is very fast. If you place an order on Monday, you can expect it Wednesday or Thursday if it is in stock in your size. They ship quickly, and most orders provide free shipping with shoes.

Zappos sold me fake shoes - EVOLV cruzer

Comments about Zappos.com:

I have been a longstanding and loyal customer with Zappos.I always thought very highly of them.
I have never had any problems in the past with shipping, transactions, or products. I recently ordered a pair of shoes by the company EVOLV from Zappos for the standard going price online. When they arrived they were undoubtedly a knock-off of the shoe, as I already had a pair of the exact model and was ordering a second one as mine were getting warn. There are about 20 differences between the two shoes, and overall quality of the pair I received was poor in contrast to my authentic pair.
You can even tell in comparing the online photos of the shoe on the Zappos site (and other sites such as ebay where I found similar knock-offs for sale) to the authentic shoe on the EVOLV site and many other pages. If you know what to look for in the details of the photo/shoe or have had the shoe before, the difference is unmistakable. Interestingly enough, I decided to look for some reviews of others that had ran into this problem. I found a fella on Amazon who had written a review and had the exact same situation with the same model shoe happen to him.
I have since returned the shoes and reordered them from another company and have received an authentic pair. Clearly there is a knock-off of this shoe being created... and sold by SOME venders on Amazon and Ebay. However, Zappos is selling them as well (even the photos of the shoes in the description are the knock-offs).
The scary thing is that if I had never had the pair before, I may not have thought anything of it. It can be hard to tell a fake knock-off if you haven't owned the same model prior or don't know what to look for in the details. However the quality is most certainly always worse.
This is not to say all of their shoes are fake...
however I would most certainly be weary and take caution!

• Shipping and Returns:

Great Selection with Awesome Shipping!

from Hartford, CT

Comments about Zappos.com:

Despite having heard about it from many people I never did try Zappos until last year and have loved it ever since!

I was searching for the perfect t-shirt and after many disappointments I decided to look at their site. I love that I can search by size and color which is perfect since I happened to be looking for a gray t-shirt. I narrowed my choices and discovered the perfect option. With their free shipping and free returns I wasn't worried at all about the fit. If it didn't fit then I could just send it back for free! Fortunately, when it arrived two days later it fit beautifully and I went back to the site and ordered several more.

I've also ordered some hard to find boots on Zappos and also had a perfect experience. This time I did need to exchange them for another style but the exchange process was super easy and painless and everything was taken care of for me.

This is hands down the best site to purchase shoes. You simply cannot beat their free shipping and returns policy and they have a large variety of styles, colors, and sizes of everything from sandals to boots. I definitely highly recommend it.

• Shipping and Returns:

Shoes, purses, bags and they arrive in no time

Comments about Zappos.com:

Zappos.com is a website I have been visiting for years. I am usually pretty pleased with what I purchase, but the good news is if I am not, then I send it back for free. That is one thing I love about Zappos.com. One thing that is a little frustrating is my size is sometimes out of stock. I am an 8, and I think that is pretty common in the shoe shopping world, so many times I try to add to bag and find myself disappointed because they don't have the shoe. I will admit these times usually involve a shoe that is on sale, so if it is a good price, it does make sense that the popular sizes would be out, but that really doesn't keep me from becoming a little frustrated. I do have to say this website has anything you need when it comes to shoes, boots, purses, bags, wallets. It is so fun. I had the app on every mobile device, but finally had to start deleting it because it was getting me into trouble (because too many shoes were arriving at my door).

I have no troubles using this website. The search engine is very good. You can use brand names and find what you are looking for rather easy. Down the side of the website is how you limit your searches so you don't end up with thousands of choices.

Product Selection
There are products for women, men and children. I would say anything you need, including all the great brand names are there for you to pick from. I do have a hard time finding my size sometime- that's why i didn't give it a 10.

Product Pricing
You really have to take advantage of the sales when you can. Zappos.com is not a shoe outlet. It has all the brand name, great looking shoes, for the prices you are going to pay almost anywhere. If you look long enough, you will find a sale.

Customer Service
Excellent!!

Shipping and Returns
Always a great experience. Ships for free and it's very easy to return. Sometimes I would buy 4 or 5 pair of shoes expecting to return a few because I knew it was so easy.