Other Weight Loss Exercise Programs:
YMCA
YMCA Programs

Summary

Although the YMCA is now called simply "The Y", our reviewers love the many YMCA Programs offered at their locals Y's. Says one member of the Y's programs, "YMCA is terrific. A new one was built recently by my home. So many amenities.... a huge pool, state of the art fitness equipment ,spin & yoga classes,etc." Another Y enthusiast says, "Our gym has cardio equipment and weights (free & machine). There is also a pool, racquetball courts, and a WIDE VARIETY of workout classes." Reviewers note that most Y's have child care available and decent hours. A few members, while loving the YMCA Programs, lament about the high cost of those programs although other reviewers state that the Y is the cheapest gym/club they have found. Read all of our reviews on YMCA Programs and decide if you want to join in!

Great value!

The YMCA may be the best deal around.  My local branch provides membership to neighboring outlets and also free classes and reduced rate massages.  The facilities are great, they are constantly getting new equipment and staff.  The pool is about to open and I can't wait!  They have ample space and the newest equipment making it a bargain.  The locations are pretty convenient and they have parking which is a big plus.  Family memberships are a great deal especially since they have daycare and weekend activities for the kids.  The hours are convenient for people working early and late since they open before the crack of dawn and close well after sunset.  I would definitely recommend it for anyone looking for a reliable, consistently well run gym in convenient locations.  They have promotions in the fall where they waive the joiner's fee so you can get an even better deal.  It is amazing to actually get more than you pay for.

Wish they werent so expensive

I think that YMCA needs to drop there prices some. Its just too high to get a membership esp when you have a large family. The place is nice and clean. For the most part people that work there are nice. The classes are good and you can participate in so many things. I went up to our brand new YMCA this summer because we had no pools around us. I asked if i could just pay to swim and he looked at me like i was crazy. I think they should offer this as long as you have a license or ID. I wont ever go back there because I felt they were rude.

Comments about YMCA Programs:

The YMCA is an absolute wonderful thing and every city and town should have one. The programs the offer are beneficial not only to adults but to kids as well. They have exercise equipment and exercise classes and free day care for your little ones while you work out. They also have a pool so you can still swim in the winter. I mainly joined for the kids programs. They have soccer, basketball, dance, pool lessons, summer camps, and mommy and me type classes. The YMCA by us also offers gym classes for home schooled children which I think is just wonderful. My two children have just loved going and participating in different activities and I like that they are in a safe environment learning and having fun. We joined as a family and are paying the family price, it is not that expensive, cheaper than most regular gyms. You can also join as an individual and get the same benefits. They also do 5K's and other community events that raise money and awareness for certain charities.

The only gym I love and trust

from Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about YMCA Programs:

I live a few minutes away from my local YMCA, it's just a quick drive down the street from my house. Which is very convenient for me. Anyways, I joined the YMCA with my mom when I was 15 years old, and in a sophomore in high school. At the time when I first joined I did the teen strength program so I would be allowed to use all the cardio equipment, and the weights by myself. I remember how nice and helpful the employees were when I first joined. I didn't know anyone there at first, but I don't remember once feeling uncomfortable at the gym or like I didn't belong there. Well now I am almost 25, and I have been a member of the YMCA for 10 years. I have tried other gyms while being a member of the YMCA, but there are none that I love as much as this one. It feels like a second home to me.

I spend most of my time at the YMCA in the weight room with the free weights, benches, and squat racks. Although they don't have the newest weights, they have everything I need to get my workout done. While I am usually one of the only women in the room, i don't feel uncomfortable for a second. All of the members that go there are very respectful, and I have never had any problems with anyone bothering me. But I do know that the YMCA has a no tolerance rule and anyone seen acting out or harassing anyone would be kicked out and their membership would be taken away. That is the great thing about the YMCA they protect their members, and always listen to concerns and any advice you have to give them about making the gym better.

My YMCA also has a wide variety of different classes for people of all ages, from little kids to senior citizens. They also have a daycare, and a preschool attached to my YMCA. As well as a swimming pool and a co-ed sauna.

Not only does my YMCA have a great clean facility, but I can't count how many friendships I have made from going to the YMCA. I literally talk to, and know everyone that goes to the gym, even the employees. Most of the employees have known me since I was in high school. Everyone who works at the YMCA is very friendly.

Another great thing about the YMCA is that they allow you to use your membership at other YMCA's when you travel. I travel a lot and it makes it convenient for me that I don't have to pay to go to another gym, and I can just go to another YMCA free of charge.

Even if I move away from my town, I would join another YMCA. I have been in LA Fitness, 24 hour fitness, Powerhouse, Gold's, and nothing feels at home to me as my local YMCA.

A friendly place

Comments about YMCA Programs:

I really enjoyed my Y membership. The front desk staff were friendly and it seemed like I made some real friendships there. My local Y has plenty of workout equipment, and is nicely divided into sections and features classes and cold and warm pools. Despite all of these things I'm giving them a 5. Various reasons include - overcrowding, "odd" types of people hanging out in the parking lot/lobby, dirty locker rooms and no adult swim. Does the YMCA hate adults? Unsupervised children often times make swimming difficult .

Great place

Comments about YMCA Programs:

I love my local YMCA. The hours are good, the online schedule is always up and posted, and even the pool hours! My favorite part is the gym. It's always so clean and the workout equipment is great. I also love the child daycare. It's so convenient for me. I can workout, know my son is being watched, and I can spend a little time with him after my workout in the child area. Just a great family place, workout place, or just a place to relax.

Not Great for MY family!

Comments about YMCA Programs:

My family was discriminated against at your Y.
Your staff member was rude to my family and upset my daughter who is only two.
I am upset because my family was made to feel unwelcome at the Greenfield YMCA, and when we attempted to contact the Executive Director (who we were told we should contact), he refused to return our calls. Instead, he had a thrird party staff member call us and offer to send us a copy of their pool rules, which he knew full well was not my issue. He is fully aware that the issue is far moire serious. This is after I left a message explainng that this regards innappropriate attitude towards my small daughter.
This is coupled with the innappropriate coed locker room behavior we endured on several occasions there.
It is quite obvious that you don't care about MY family YMCA. Thanks for showing your TRUE colors. Thank goodness for that, I can now look into safer and more appropriate preschools

Best Place

from Alvin, TX

Comments about YMCA Programs:

Check into your local Y. It is definitely worth every penny I spend on member fees. You may also qualify for a lower rate depending on your income. The classes are awesome, the equipment is great and the staff is so friendly. It's a great place to get motivated to get back into shape or to stay in shape. Family friendly and always something to do to stay active.

The Y, family friendly fun

from Toledo, OH

Comments about YMCA Programs:

The Y has been a real bonus to my wieghtloss. For my schedule, the hours are convenient. I can take my youngest child and feel comfortable leaving him with the childcare staff when the older 2 are in school or work out with the older 2. The staff is really helpful if there is a machine we aren't familiar with. They show us how it works and some routines with other machines to get the results we want. On one machine the staff takes the time to show me what's best for wieghtloss, my middle son what works for toning and my oldest son what's best for muscle building. Plus there are classes with wonderful instructors who are nice but still able to make you push past the dreaded exercise wall. Oh and I have yet to come across a dirty workout room. I go to 3 different ones in my area, depending on where the kids need to be and they are always spotless. The locker rooms are the same.

On top of all the great stuff and people in the fitness center, they have many other activities to engage your family. Art classes, riding lessons in the summer, crafts, daycare options, get togethers etc. It's a great place for families to shoot some hoops or just hang out. I feel like my kids are safe there, so I don't mind dropping them off for an activity and going to workout. The staff is very conscience of which parents belong to which children and don't let the kids leave with anyone else without your permission and the other's ID. I know that sounds like a no brainer, but I've been other places where it was an issue for us. It is a little pricey, but for all the services offered, I think it's a great value-if you use it. We go several times a week and for all the activities we do, we'd pay twice as much elsewhere.

Work IT Out!

from Austin, TX

Comments about YMCA Programs:

This Is an excellent place to go and Work Out! It has alot of room and everybody can have their own space. YMCA is every where local! Just check Your local listing to see where the nearest one is! two thumbs up! You should work it out. Stop eating all those diet candy bars and just hot the gym and stay fit and healthy. the best weight lose is to get up and get out and go get it. Nothing comes to a sleeper. YMCA is real kid friendly if you have children. So theres no need to worry about a baby sitter. And if your from Texas its very hot in the Summer YMCA even has an outdoor swimming pool! Kids can also recieve swimming lessons Adults too! YMCA is the best thing to happen to communites.Im so happy i Joined YMCA it has been life changing, Im very happy with my Results. They also have excellent trainers on site! Areobics classes and Yoga as Well. Be sure to check with your local listing Though! WORK IT!

Love the Y!

from Oklahoma City, OK

Comments about YMCA Programs:

My insurance at work allows me a free membership at the YMCA and I love it.  Luckily there is a YMCA right by my house (literally like 1 minute drive) so that's also great.  The YMCA has a lot of great group exercises that I like to go to.  The group exercises are great because they last about an hour and keep you motivated.  For me it is easier for an hour of working out to go by in a class compared to me working out by myself on the treadmill or weights.  The good thing about the YMCA is that they offer all the latest classes (zumba, body pump, pilates, etc). and multiple times throughout the day.  Also once you become a member you can use your membership at any of the YMCA locations - that is handy when you are traveling. The YMCA is also adaquately staffed so the place is clean and you can always find a staff member if you need help or have questions.  The only downside that I can think about to the YMCA is that they are not opened 24 hours such as some other gyms. Great place to join!  Make sure you look into your health insurance to see if you get a discount at the YMCA or maybe even get it free!

YMCA to lose weight & bring families closer!!!

from Bruin, PA

Comments about YMCA Programs:

Ymca is commited to giving the best personal service to families and promote health. They provide financial assistance and it says that no person shall be denied for lack of funds. With my family membership my children recieve free gymnastics and free swimming lessons, there is also a FREE play place that my 3 year old stays at in the mornings when I am working out. You can put your children in the play place an hu and a half at a time in the mornings and/or afternoons they are open from like 8-noon and 4 till 8ish monday through friday. The fitness center equipment is always up to date and they are constantly upgrading and putting in the newest equipment. There is a person there to help you and show you how to use the equipment. Its clean and safe and a great place to just take your family to spend time in the swimming pool or playing basketball or climbing the rockwall in the family center. Its a great family investment!