Other General Household Cleaners:
Glass Cleaners
Windex

Cons

windex is a great all purpose cleaner with many uses

windex is a great all purpose cleaner with many uses. The original has a classic fresh smell that most people remember from there childhood as windex has been a tried and true product for many years.  It not only cuts through grease, leaves windows with a streak free shine better than any other window cleaner out there,  but it also removes crayon, fingerprints, dirt and grim from walls, door frames and just about anywhere else you can think of.  Also windex is great for mirrors which as you know can sometimes be frustrating because it seems when the light hits them from a differant anglea new smug or streak seems to appear, but not with windex you just spray wipe and your done.  Light fixtures even seem to sparkle after they have been cleaned with windex and not just the ones indoors, but also the tough to clean ones outdoors.If you could only have one cleaner in your home windex would be a wise choice.  Not only because of it's versatility, affordability, but because of the quality of the product which has been provien time and time again.

Windex Original Glass Cleaner Works OK But Has Higher Price

Windex Original Glass Cleaner advertises that you can clean glass surfaces without streaks, and for the most part, that is pretty true. Their web site mentions that you can clean a lot of other surfaces, such as tile, sealed marble, aluminum, vinyl, and more, but I tend to just use this product on windows and mirrors.

What I like about Windex Glass Cleaner:

- It is easy to find in stores.

- It isn't diluted like a lot of glass cleaners (especially some of the store brands)

- It's not bad about leaving streaks.

What I don't like about Windex:

- It's more expensive than the store brands.

- It might or might not clean things like the window seals - for tough cleaning jobs, I tend to go for other things.

- I don't think I would like any cleaner enough to actually enjoy washing the windows and mirrors - it's a job that few people even notice.

My Viewpoint:

Windex Original Glass Cleaner works pretty well on glass - I haven't had major problems with the spray nozzle, but apparently some people have. I've had more problems with some of the store brands. I guess I'm not particularly loyal to one brand of cleaning supply, especially when cleaning around the house when few people even really notice. With many people tightening budgets, this would probably be one area where I would be willing to go with a store brand, provided the nozzle works and it actually cleans the windows and mirrors. For those who are looking for something environmentally friendly, most commercial cleaning products aren't going to be completely safe for the environment, but I have noticed they have 2-liter refills that might save some money and may be a little more environmentally friendly if the nozzle is still working well on the regular spray bottle.

I would not buy Windex X3 for windows!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Central Ohio

Pros

• Easy to Use

Cons

• Hard to Clean

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

Have been using Windex for over 50 years. Used to be great but this "new" X3 leaves a soapy film that needs to be rinsed off. I've the streaks from some time and thought there may be an environmental cause. Wiped windows with a wet rag and cleaned with a dry cloth they came out streak free. Just to be sure I then cleaned again with Windex X3 and the filmy streak came back! Will NOT purchase the X3 again. I'm going to try to dilute the remaining bottle with distilled water to see if I can save it for windows but for now I will only use it on countertops and appliances.

A household staple

from Connecticut

About Me Meticulous Cleaner

Pros

• Easy to Use
    • Efficient
    • Simple Instructions

• Cleaning
      • Home
      • kitchen

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

When I had granite counters installed in my kitchen, they advised me to use nothing but regular Windex to clean them. I have done just that for over a decade, and they look great. I like it that I can also use Windex on glass, mirrors, my sinks and fridge as well as windows. There is no need to buy anything else other than a wood cleaner. I give it the highest marks for versatility, effectiveness and availability. I also appreciate being able to buy a large refill and not have to buy all the plastic of a sprayer bottle each time.

Windex Glass Cleaner

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

I always like using Windex on my windows and mirrors because it does leave them streak free. I have tried my own home made cleaners but I have never been able to get my windows and mirrors streak free like Windex can. We also have glass top tables and two little ones that love to touch them and leave fingerprints. This product does wonders on my tables and gets my kids sticky hand prints right off. It also works great on the front of the stove and the microwave door. I use it on those two things after I cook and get any food or grease splatters, Windex cleans it right off.

This stuff really works well on anything that is glass. It gets everything spotless and leaves absolutely no streaks at all. It even works well in the spring after windows have been left uncleaned all winter long.

So I have to be honest and say the scent is not that great. It does a pretty strong ammonia smell but it cleans so well that I just ignore it.

Classic

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

I have used Windex to clean all my windows for as long as I can remember and I have never used anything else. Nothing will clean your windows better than Windex. It leaves a streak free shine that no other cleaner can match. It removes stains and dirt as soon as you spray the cleaner on. It works for your house windows, car windows, mirrors, and anything glass such as picture frames. There are never streaks left behind. I used this formula at a department store I worked at that had all glass doors and people would literally walk right into the door because this cleaner worked so well they could not even see the glass. It can also be used for a number of regular surfaces including countertops, walls, and tables.

There really is no scent with Windex so I am not sure why there is a space to rate it. I mean, there is a scent, but it is just the scent of the formula and it is neither good nor bad. I guess I am just used to it since I have used Windex so long.

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

It seems Windex has probably been around for longer than any other glass cleaning brand, and for good reason. Windex have perfected the craft of a streak free and spotless shine to glass, mirrors and it makes a pretty good multi-purpose cleaner too.

Not only do I have many trigger sprays in my cleaning cupboard for eventualities such as dirty windows which are covered in finger prints, rain water marks and dog nose dribble, but I also carry two bottles in our truck for cleaning our headlights, windscreen and various camping essentials.

On the downside, the product doesn't smell so great, it's not really fragranced and it bothers that when I spray the Windex solution on my bathroom mirror near to my spotlights, it dries too quickly. I am being persnickety, I could switch the spotlights off during cleaning so that the heat of the lights doesn't dry the windows too quickly, but then I wouldn't be able to view my handiwork as I clean.

Obviously amazing

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

This is one of the best cleaners you could ever own. Windex has been around long enough, its pretty obvious how great any of there products are. I have used multiple cleaners throughout every place I have lived. From cheap, off brand cleaners, to the name brand like Windex. No other window cleaner has ever compared to the quality you get with Windex. The windows come out clean as ever, and streak free. I am very picky when it comes to cleaning my house, and streaks on glass is something I cannot stand. Windex does a great job, and honestly you can use it on more than just glass. I have used it on my Plasma TV screen, on my wooden end tables, etc. It works great on nearly any surface. The original scent smells good, but they even have different scents if the original is not for you. Its very inexpensive, and there are multiple types to choose from. All in all, this is a great product, and if there is still someone out there that has not used it, you will not regret it.

Multiple scents to choose from, but even the original smells good.

A Classic!

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

Windex Original Glass Cleaner has been around for a long time, and for good reason. It really works. Windex can be used on any glass surface from windows, eyeglasses, cabinet doors, and electronics.

Windex cleans glass very well. I use it on all manner of products, and I always keep it on hand. The original can be a bit runny, so you have to make sure not to over spray, or you'll get streaks. Otherwise, I've never had a problem with streaks. It cleans spots and stains quickly and usually pretty easily without a lot of effort. It then wipes away cleanly without streaks or smudges. I also use it on window sills, doorknobs, and appliances. Windex is wonderful for dusting appliance as well, and can be used on countertops. I've used it on tile floors before, but it's a bit too slippery for that.

Windex has a very distinctive scent. It can be a bit strong and ammonia-like, but it's not bad and dissipates quickly.

I'm never without it!

from Davis, CA

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

With the hard water we have where I live, I'm constantly wiping down anything our water touches. Windex helps keep my chrome faucets shiny. Add to this that my house has many windows, which I love to keep uncovered to allow for passive solar heating and bright light, I wash these many times a year. Windex does a lovely job keeping my widows clean and streak free.

There really isn't a room in which I don't use it. I clean all our mirrors -- bathroom, bedrooms and family room -- with it. The entire kitchen gets a good cleaning with it, from the range hood to the front of the major appliances. I even use it to clean my kitchen counters when meat juices have leaked onto them.

I recommend this product to everyone.

Windex cleans and disinfects in one swipe. As long as the surface is cool -- not a hot window -- it doesn't streak. So, if cleaning windows with it, it is best not to use it when the sun is shining directly on them. It works perfectly every time.

As one who is sensitive to artificial scents and chemical odors, I don't typically care for anything scented. However, I love the smell of this product! For me, it smells clean.

Maybe I'm just using this product based off name recognition

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

I have been using Windex Original Glass Cleaner for my entire life. This cleaner does an decent job of cleaning glass without leaving too many streaks. On a number of occasions I have to wipe a little harder or longer if I don't use enough cleaner. Sometimes I do find myself having to go back hours later and wiping certain areas again because residue was left behind. I have a glass table sitting in a wooden frame and I have noticed over time that the wood has become dull looking around the edges because of the Windex. I tried my best to spray and clean only the glass, but a few drops of this product would get on the wood and cause some slight staining. I have tried using furniture polish to bring the wood back to life, but that didn't help. I definitely wouldn't recommend Windex Original Glass Cleaner because there are multipurpose cleaners available that will do the same or a better job of cleaning glass and it will cost less in the long run.

Cleans well.

Comments about Windex Original Glass Cleaner:

Windex has always been my number one choice when it comes to house cleaning supplies and that is the reason I keep coming back to this brand, let it be the glass cleaner or the multipurpose cleaner. The key ingredient, Ammonia-D makes the Windex Original Glass Cleaner to work so well. Though the name says it is a glass cleaner, but it's description says it can clean many more surfaces which includes windows, Sealed Marble, Sealed Granite, UV-protected windows, Factory-installed low-E coated windows, Mirrors, Glass shower doors, Bathroom fixtures like those made of chrome, Lead or flint glass, tile, plastic, Vinyl, Aluminum. I have used this cleaner to wipe off mostly all the surfaces around my house and it has worked every time. All you need to do is spray and wipe off with a paper towel. The cleaner comes in a spray bottle with an easy grip, comfortable trigger and an angled tube that lets you use the every drop of the liquid cleaner. I have been a big fan of Windex Original products, but I might not use this product again because of the harmful fumes it emits, despite of the wonderful job it does.