4.8
Vicks
Vicks VapoRub

Vicks VapoRub

4.8

Pros

• Easy to administer (3)
  • Effective (3)

• Cough (4)
    • Cough Suppression:

Vicks VapoRub is still as good as I remember it was!

It seems I have been using **Vicks Vaporub** all my life and, in fact, I have! My mother used to slather this ointment on my chest and throat when I was sick and I would always feel better after it was applied. For colds, coughs, and decongesting, rub a layer of the ointment over the chest and throat and cover with a dry cloth. Keep clothing loose so the vapors can surround you. For sore or achy muscles, rub directly on them. Although the directions say never to apply the product in the nostrils, I always did until I was old enough to know I wasn't supposed to. Now I dab a tiny but under my nose to open up my head and relieve stuffiness. The ointment is greasy and will make your hair or clothing greasy if they are exposed to it. It is best to rub it in then cover with a warm, dry cloth. When I apply it, it feels immediately cool and tingly. I can feel the vapors going to work and my head almost always clears up quickly. When I have chest congestion, that takes a bit longer to break up but still, Vicks does a good job in that area. I never really noted that **Vicks VapoRub** helped my coughs but I really don't get colds with heavy coughs and, on the rare occasion that I do, I always take something to help with coughing because I hate it! **Vicks VapoRub** has eucalyptus in it which is a scent that I love and that helps to clear my sinuses. However, dipping my fingers into the tall jar is no fun. I wish they would come out with a tin or flatter wide mouthed jar. The scent is super strong of menthol, eucalyptus, and, I suppose, camphor (I am not sure what camphor smells like alone). That scent is what opens me up and allows my sinuses to drain and my chest to ease. I don't use this product as a muscle reliever because I prefer BioFreeze for that but I do apply sparingly to my sore shoulders and arms (I don't know why they get sore when I am sick) and it helps a bit to ease the stiffness. In all, I simply prefer Vicks Vaporub to any other similar topical analgesic because it works well and is a blast from the past that comforts me and makes me feel better mentally as well as physically. **Ingredients ***Active Ingredients: Camphor (4.8%), Eucalyptus Oil (1.2%), Menthol (2.6%) Inactive Ingredients: Cedar Leaf Oil, Nutmeg Oil, Special Petrolatum, Thymol, Turpentine Oil *

Ironically, my husband's grandmother, who died at age 96, used turpentine and camphor when she was a kid to knock out even the worst colds. I am not so sure I like the idea of turpentine in a product but, in this case, it works!

**Conclusion**

**Vicks VapoRub** has worked for me since I was a child and continues to help ease my colds, sore throats, and congestion. It's safe to use with other medications and has no side effects. I love it!

No, do NOT put Vick's in your nostrils!

No, do NOT put Vick's VapoRub in, or near, your nose! It contains camphor, a petroleum product that can be toxic if absorbed directly into the body.The proper ways to apply VapoRub are:  _ On the chest or throat (to congestion relief), or  _ On sore muscles (to increase circulation)See the warnings on the VapoRub pages at vicks.com—or just do a search for "vaporub" and "nostrils" and you'll see many references to this.VapoRub is okay if used safely. However, I prefer to use other products that don't contain petroleum. It's just not necessary.

the great product

from algeria

About Me Medical Professional

Pros

• Effective

• Aches & Pains

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

Helps to spend a quiet night's sleep and not feel coughing.

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Quick and Efficient Product

from Ottawa, ON

About Me Caregiver

Pros

• Clears Breathing
    • Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Fast-Acting
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

Cons

• Irritation in Eyes if Applied near/on Eyes
    • Poor Taste/Smell

• Congestion
    • Runny Nose & Sneezing
    • Sore Throat

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

I have used this product all my life and also use it on my kid. I love that it is easy to apply and fast-acting. It starts working as soon as it is applied. I remember when I was a kid my mother used to put this on my nose and chest whenever I caught cold or had running nose, congestion or cough. I do the same with my kid. I have never felt or seen any side effects of it. The only thing that irritates is it's smell which is too strong and when applied on nose, you can actually feel like you are practically tasting it on ur tongue. Another thing I would recommend is to avoid putting it any closer to your eyes because the near it is your eyes, the more likely it is to cause irritation in eyes. Otherwise iit is safe to use, quite quick and efficient product.

from super market

from san jose

About Me Have Medical Condition

Pros

• Easy To Administer

Cons

• Causes Drug Interactions
    • Causes Side Effects

• Congestion

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

its good but we have problem beacuse the time but its ok we need to hood your mouth yeah its about fall out code cod us has his im you are we can to do in your mouth

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

good

from iarq

very good

"Sickness had never had such a fonder feeling"

Pros

• Affordable
    • Easy To Administer
    • Effective
    • Promotes Healing
    • Relieves Symptoms Fast

• Aches & Pains
      • Emergencies
      • Runny Nose & Sneezing

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

I personally love this brand and would recommend it to anyone I know. It's a great brand that I have been using for many years now and I wouldn't replace it at all. It has aided me in common colds and helped me breath. While the smell can be bothersome for some people I found it to have a familiar smell I grew fond of. Would recommend to everyone.

It Rubs off on you

from Dallas,TX

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

This is a product we keep at our house all the time. Kids will be kids and will always get sick. They have runny nose, fever, and congestion. My mother used this a lot as we were kids. If we had a bad cough, she would rub it on our backs , feet and chest. It would provide great relief and would help us get some sleep. If we had congestion, she would rub it on our chest and back as well and bundles us up so we could feel the vapor. When I have a stuffy nose, i place a small amount on the opening of my nostrils (not the inside) and it helps my breathing. It is just such an inexpensive remedy that I think we should all keep at home.

Congestion Relief
      Really soothes and provides relief when you want relief from congestion. Helps you breathe better

Chest Congestion Relief
      You feel this soothing sensation on your chest.

Relief of Aches & Pains
      When my little one has tired achy feet, I rub it on the bottom of her feet and she feels relief.

Cough Suppression
      I really like it for the cough. It gives your throat and chest some major relief. It soothes and helps you sleep better

• Cough Suppression:

Whenever you have strong congestion and nothing else works!

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

I use this whenever I am stuck in bed and need to relieve my symptoms. It works great, but I wouldn't use it unless I needed it.

Congestion Relief
      Whenever I have strong nasal congestion and no other medicine does it, Vaporub works amazingly. Immediately after applying some on your nose, your nasal passages will open up and you will be able to take a breath of fresh air again.

Chest Congestion Relief
      I generally use it for nasal congestion. For chest congestion, it does help but I prefer not to rub it on my chest. I take a cough syrup for that usually. This isn't to say that it doesn't work, I just don't prefer it. If I have severe chest congestion, then I will use it. And of course that is only when I am bedridden. You can't really use it and go about your day so you need to stay in bed and keep warm.

Relief of Aches & Pains
      I don't use it to relieve aches or pains.

Cough Suppression
      It works well to relieve chest congestion when you really need it and that helps suppressing your cough.

Vicks Vaporub

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

I have been purchasing and using Vicks Vaporub since childhood. It works almost like none other for fighting cold symptoms such as chest congestion and cough. As many can probably relate, when I have a cold and all that congestion starts working its way through my system, it becomes increasingly hard to get a good nights rest. My favorite use for the Vicks is to put a small amount under my nose, a fair amount on my chest, and even some on the bottoms of my feet covered with a pair of socks to really get the full affect of the Vicks. It works wonders.

Chest Congestion Relief
      Vicks is probably the best product I have ever used to clear up chest congestion, especially for being a product that I do not actually have to ingest. The warm yet cool feeling is quite relaxing when applied to the skin and the results are nearly immediate. Within fifteen minutes I am breathing easier and feeling my muscles and body starting to relax and function more normally.

And now I can breathe!

from Millville, NJ

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

Without a doubt, the Vick VapoRub is a staple in our house during any cold or flu illness. To be honest, it's the first thing I check to make sure we have when someone comes down with a stuffy nose. I was really hesitant when I first tried Vicks VapoRub, after all, how can something you rub on yourself, help you breathe? Well after about a minute after the initial application, I was a firm believer. Sure, you aren't healed in anyway. But in that moment where you just want to be able to breathe through your nose and get some rest, it is a lifesaver! The product is very easy to use and it is pretty much foolproof! I'm one of those people that can absolutely not breathe through my mouth only and sleep so if you're anything like that I would definitely recommend picking up this product!

Congestion Relief
      It made being sick a lot more bearable. I was able to recover quicker because I could actually sleep. It definitely provided congestion relief.

Chest Congestion Relief
      My chest felt a lot lighter after I applied the Vicks VapoRub. I wasn't waking up every ten minutes because of the congestion I kept feeling.

Relief of Aches & Pains
      While it didn't do a lot for my aches and pains, I wasn't expecting it to.

Cough Suppression
      The day after using the Vicks VapRub my husband commented on how he was actually able to get some rest too, since I wasn't coughing throughout the night!

Great for pain relief

Comments about Vicks VapoRub:

This should really be added to the pain relief category as well!

My parents like to use Tiger Balm for their pain relief, and whenever I use that product to give my mom massages (she's a nurse and gets leg pains), the smell clings to my hands even if I wear gloves. When I use Vick's the smell doesn't cling as much and I have found that is just as (if not more) effective.

I work out a lot (body weight fitness) and I used to get some minor aches and pains on a semi-regular basis. Aside from making sure I practice proper stretching and good form, the best thing I have to combat these pains is applying a small amount of Vick's to the affected area. It works really well!

I have also used Vick's for chest congestion, and it provides great relief for that as well. This is a great product to have in the house because it is super useful. A little goes a long way, so one purchase should lastly a while if you don't waste product (which admittedly I sometimes do).

TL;DR - 10/10, I love Vick's. Would definitely buy again (and have been a repeat customer for a while).