2.7
Other Misc. Healths:
United

2.7

Pros

Cons

• Not effective (3)

United Health Care... sometimes I wonder

We have United Health Care health insurance through my husband's employer. Whle we don't enjoy a particularly low rate, I have no complaints about the cost to cover our whole family. The coverage is good, and they are pretty clear up front about what everyone's rights, responsibilities and expectations are. Their website has a great user interface and allows you to get most of the information needed for various issues from there rather than calling their offices. BUT... in the event that you do have to call, it can be hard to find a number to do so if you don't have your insurance card right in front of you because every place on the website you click that says "Contact Us" tends to tell you to get the number off your card. My son recently had outpatient surgery and we were billed (unexpectedly) for an additional surgeon in the operating room. The insurance denied the charge stating it was unnecessary. I don't disagree with that at all, but I DO disagree with getting ZERO help from the insurance company when it came to fighting that charge. If the physician was unnecessary, why wasn't this part of the contracted charges covered by the insurance company when they set up their contract with this doctor? This is my only negative comment regarding UHC and overall, other than this one issue, I have no complaints.

i don't exist to them apparently.

I never thought I would be a ghost to a health insurance company. Back in Febuary I was hospitalized (the details might not be important as anyone can be hospitalized for anything serious) only to find out that the health insurance company and the billing departments of these medical parties are playing games with me. To this day I still recieve a bill from this specific event (which involved overnight hospitalization in one place and amulance transport to another hospital) addressed from all three parties who want their share of the money. My husband had been working and had UMR insurance through United HealthCare (which I thought would be an ok plan because when I was working I had United HealthCare and didn't seem to have a problem). He quite around April and around the same time the health insurance expired. Anyway back to these bills from my Feb 27 to March 2 2009 hospitalization. I usually just send UHC the bills, but this time it says that "ins. denied - can't identify patient" and upon reviewing the explanation of benefits from UHC they say that "these charges are for services provided after this patient's coverage was canceled." After all this time, they really didn't want to pay the bill so they find a nice lie to tell as to why they won't cover what they said they would. Anyway, now I am left to try to fix what I shouldn't even have to fix. Thank you UHC. I guess I'll be donating my body to science to pay off these bills.

United Health Care is the Worse Health Insurance there is!!

from Las Vegas, NV

About Me Budget Buyer

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

UHC has a very unorganized organization. They are short staffed so if you are in the hospital please try to get better because they will take 14 days to approve any services you will need to help you get better. You can never speak to anyone that can help, and you can never get the same answer. They give you RUNAROUNDS and don't ever call you back!

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Horrible

from Philadelphia.

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

I signed up with this insurance after getting laid off unexpectedly from my job and losing health insurance.
All was fine until I needed a prescription recently and the pharmacist told me my insurance was denied. They said I was no longer covered under United Healthcare.
When I called the insurance company to argue it they claimed my policy was short term. NO WHERE in my paperwork or anywhere was SHORT TERM mentioned. If it were I would have NOT signed up with them.
I am now without health insurance and I'm having a hard time finding something decent since my current employer doesn't offer health insurance.

United Health Care is AWFUL. Do NOT USE

Pros

Cons

• Complicated To Use
    • Excessive amount of wait time
    • Hard to Reach
    • Not Effective

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

United Health Care is awful. Every time you call, you either can't get a hold of anyone or you are on hold for over an hour. There is absolutely no customer service.

Worse insurance and company!

from Michigan

Pros

Cons

• Complicated To Use
        • Not Effective

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

This company puts profits before patients! They will not allow many services and benefits you are entitled to receive. So if you have a choice, do not choose United Health Care, United Behavioral Health, or Optum which are all same company -

• I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Very poor system; processes to get any information are lengt

from Bonita Spirings, fl

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

Getting answers to questions requires a lengthy phone waiting time.

Customer Service

from Goleta, California

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

I have just recently gone from a company HMO to Medicare and the supplemental plan through United Health Care. (I am now "officially" old.) I had several questions regarding my dental and prescription plans. Every one I have talked to was cheerful and extremely helpful, even so far as calling several departments to connect me with the proper person. Since I'm just now in their system, I don't know how they will be when it comes to paying my medical bills. However, to this point, I have to give them 5 stars for customer service.

United Health Care Sucks Bad!!!!!~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

from Crawfordsville, Indiana

About Me Budget Buyer

Pros

• Good Value

Cons

• Not Effective

• Not Any

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

United Health Care Sucks. One department does not know what the other departments are doing. My premiums are paid up to date but United Health Care refuses my prescriptions for non payment of premiums. After calling every day for over a week, nothing has been accomplished. The billing department admitted they misapplied my premiums whatever that means but nothing is getting done about it. The medicine I am taking helps with the nerve damage I have had and without it I am in pain. I guess it is time to get an attorney and start a law suit. I have so much proof it will be easy. Stay away from United Health care.

• My Beauty Routine Takes:
          • 10 Minutes

Tired of having to fight for my prescriptions

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

They have denied several of my prescriptions that Health Net had no problem with. Adding to the problem is that the appeals to the denials I have filed have sometimes taken weeks, not days. They also will not allow you to get more than one month of a Rx at a time unless you go thru Optimum Rx, which in my opinion is not always an easy process, particularly if the prescription is relatively expensive. In one instance I my doctor prescribed 1 dose of an Rx 2 times a day; United Healthcare said they would only cover 1 dose/day. I guess IMHO a claims processor who isn't a doctor who's diagnosed me shouldn't be second-guessing a physician who's been treating me for 15 years!

United Health Care... sometimes I wonder

from Crowley, TX

from Little Falls, NJ

Comments about United Health Care Insurance:

One of the reasons I chose United Health Care Insurance is because it's not as expensive as some other companies. Although, I would say that you get what you pay for. The premiums have steadily risen over the past three years. There are higher co-pays and deductibles and the choice of health care providers is very limited. Therefore, it is difficult to go to a preferred doctor. I have not been able to use it for immediate care. I was able to find one urgent care center that accepted it nearby, but they are closed on weekends and close early during the week. I do have prescription coverage, however, the co-pay has also increased for that.