Other Tax & Finance Softwares:

TurboTax Tax Preparation Software

Pros

Cons

• Phone App Availability:

We've Been Using TurboTax Tax Prep Software for nearly 15 years!

So, you want to get your taxes done quickly and accurately? You need to use Intuit's TurboTax Tax Preparation Software! We've been using it for nearly 15 years now and have had our taxes done within the first week of February most every year. Yes, we always over withhold which is pretty much stupid because we're giving the government a free loan for a year, however, we've found that it is a way to do forced savings (albeit without any interest on our money) and usually can get some of our major purchases taken care of in the first few months of every year as a result. Like I said, it is stupid because we know there are better ways to do this, however, we also know that if we under withhold, we could be stuck with a sizable amount we could end up owing the government at the beginning of the year and we don't want to be stuck in that situation either. With the economy like it is, and the fact that we've had numerous job changes over the years, it is always difficult to predict exactly how much we'll owe so we error on the side of caution. Anyway, TurboTax gets us our money back quickly as well. It does come at a cost. The software itself can be pricey and in the last few years, the bundle with Quicken hasn't really been worth it, so it seems. Also, the e-filing fees are getting  higher and higher every year. We've found it is just worth it to buy the Deluxe version so we get our state returns for free. In the last few years, we've had to deal with some stocks that my mother-in-law gave to my wife as well and due to unemployment, we've had to tap it. As such, we've had to get the Premier version to deal with the tax basis on the sales of some of the stocks as well. TurboTax is the way to go for us and has been for years now.

The Turbo Tax Premier Edition is Helpful but could be Improved.

The new fad with this generation is to be able to do your own taxes online, and with the **Turbo Tax Premier Software**, that ability is afforded to you.  Preparing my 2008 tax return, I used Turbo Tax online (turbotax.com) and went through the process of doing my tax return through their company.  The web-site provides a number of different methods to submit your tax returns, and each of the options presents something different to the use.  With the Premier Edition of Turbo Tax, it is recommended for use by anyone who has sold stocks, bonds, mutual funds, or options for an employee stock plan, if the user owns rental property, or if you are the beneficiary of an estate or trust.  This is in addition to needing to file a state and federal return, and wanting the ability to e-File everything online using their programs.

Starting up your Turbo Tax account, you don't have to pay anything up front, but are rather told that you will be charged when you submit your taxes.  So, from the main screen you just select which method of filing best fits your needs, and in this instance, I used the Turbo Tax Premier Edition.  The process of filing online doesn't necessarily save a lot of time if you are being very methodical about your filing, but if you get the hang of the software, it can turn into a very quick process.  Going through it the first time though, it may seem to take forever, but that is all dependent on how much information you are entering into Turbo Tax.  You are queued up in different sections, starting with your personal information and that of your spouse (if you are filing together), and then moves into entering first any W-2 forms you have received and then any 1099 forms you have received from the past year.  You start with your income, then you work your way through possible deductions before finally coming to the final screen that has worked through all your numbers and reveals whether you are paying taxes or getting a refund this year.

There are a couple of great things about Turbo Tax online, starting with how much information you can enter into the site.  There is also a tabulation at the top right of the screen, which keeps track of what your current tax payment or refund is going to be as you go through each step of filling out the tax forms.  With each new entry the amount is adjusted, and it keeps a close eye on what you are going to be looking at when you finish all of your computations.  The downside however to this Turbo Tax program, is that it isn't as straight-forward as you may hope, and that if you don't have a clear knowledge of what you should be entering, you could come up short on your return.  It was an arduous task trying to figure out where to enter business expenses as well as donations that you may use as tax write-offs.  There were several other forms which were also hard to find, including the 1099-G form, which it took a while to find.  The forms are all in the system, its just a process trying to find where each one of them is.

**My ViewPoint on the Turbo Tax Premier program.**

I think that **Turbo Tax Premier **could be a program that helps a lot of people looking to file their taxes online.  It keeps things really organized, does all of your calculations for you, and gives you the ability to stop midway through, save your work, and come back at a later day to finish doing your taxes.  When everything is said and done, you can then submit your taxes from the comfort of your home, and wipe your hands of taxes for the year.  The problems I had stemmed from needing many different forms that appeared to be hidden in the tax software.  The instructions on how to use these things weren't very straight-forward, and there were times where I ended up a little frustrated with using the software.  When doing taxes I don't need any extra stresses or frustrations, and this soured me slightly on the Turbo Tax product.  I think though that if you are looking to just file a basic return, that one of the other Turbo Tax options could better fit your needs.  For the Turbo Tax Premier Software, I came away with an overall favorable outlook on the product, and feel that it could be recommended to users that find its uses appealing.

Turbo Tax Home and Business 2012 works GREAT

from Skokie, IL

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

I use Turbo Tax Home and Business 2012 for my family tax returns. I have a schedule C for my music and writing income and Home and Business makes it easier to file the necessary returns. I also use Home and Business for my son's simple tax return. The software is easy to use, imports prior year data and electronically files federal taxes for FREE.

Imports prior year data easily and the input can be done through a questionairre based format or based on forms. I have no problem using the software. The help screens work well, also.

Customer Service
I haven't needed any, so I suppose it is all right. I'm glad the product works well enough so that I do not need customer service.

Features
it's great for tracking schedule C expenses and income. I also like the comparison to averages, the check features and the audit alerts.

Phone App Availability
the only app I am using is "where is my tax refund?" and that has worked relatively well.

• Phone App Availability:

Helps you feel in control with less stress

from Roundup, MT

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

Turbo Tax has easy to follow interview style program.
You guided through the questions and answers, plus there is a help section.

Through out, all the math is handled by the program. In fact you can see the refund/tax owed amount change as you progress.

Turbo Tax is nearly error free and covers most taxpayers and most forms, unlike the competition.

May not be as if you have your own tax professional, but it comes close for the majority of us.

Far less stress while doing your taxes.

Interview style questions.

Customer Service
Available online forum and chat.

Features
More features than other software.

Turbotax preparation software

from Bentonville, AR

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

A number of years ago I always did my taxes by hand, reading closely all the fine print in the books they publish to help you naivgate the always confusing forms. Once I finally had internet and a computer at home (I mentioned this was years ago) I decided to look into turbo tax after seeing all their ads on television and I've not gone back since.

For starters, the site is extremely easy to navigate. It lays everything out in laymen's terms so there's no confusion. The forms you fill out on the site are set up to look like the copy you have in your hands, so you can type everything in without fear of putting something in the wrong space.

I've gone through 3 different career changes from HR manager, to commissioned decorator, and finally to self-employed novelist and turbotax helped me file all those crazy forms I got when one job ended and another began, from 401k rollovers/payouts, to unemployment benefits, to commission reports, to royalty statements and I've never had a problem with it at all and have always gotten a maximum refund.

• Phone App Availability:

We've Been Using TurboTax Tax Prep Software for nearly 15 years!

from Muskegon, MI

Great product

from BELLEVUE, WA

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

This software is really easy to use. I have Turbotax from the beginning thought now. It gives my life so easy when the tax season come. Easy to input all your tax information and give you a great report and you can submit to the INS.The help screens provide a good explainations of details. Good buy for the money. Software easy to load and not a memory hog, navagation to different screens back and forth was easy. I find it very easy to correct any incorrect entries and software will flag or alert you to potential trouble spots. Overall a good buy for the money.

Easy to use

from Oakland Gardens, NY

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

I find the software very easy to use. The help screens provide a good explainations of details. Good buy for the money. Software easy to load and not a memory hog, navagation to different screens back and forth was easy. Software always allows preview of actual forms before printing or transmission to IRS and State.  I find it very easy to correct any incorrect entries and software will flag or alert you to potential trouble spots. Overall a good buy for the money. I have used other tax software before and have found this product the best one to use.

Turbotax: The Only Way to do Taxes.

from Burlington, MA

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

I, like so many other reviewers and tax payers, used to struggle with the official forms during tax season. Therefore, the evolution of computers and software has lead to at least one amazing benefit: Tax preperation software. Every since I discovered Turbotax, it has been the only software I use when tax season begins. The developers have gone to great lengths to not only cover all possible scenarios, but hold my hand through every last step of the tax preperation process. The software is easy to use, the interface is colorful and simple, and the programs always check for errors. Thanks to Turbotax, the steps are as easy as humanly (and electronically) possible. I look forward to when my children need to begin doing their taxes, because I know that the fear of navigating government forms can be more than simply "a little daunting." With Turbotax, all the hard aspects of taxes have been removed, and ensuring that a large refund is achieved is an amazing bonus. Turbotax comes highly recommended, especially at the offered price.

Turbotax deluxe your complete tax software

from Wayne, MI

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

Turbotax Deluxe Federal and State computer software is fairly easy to use. I have used this software for the last five years. Each year it has gotten easier to use. If you are adept at doing your taxes, you can choose which information you need to enter. Or you can follow the step by step instructions. The program has helpful sections to explain why something is needed or what the information is that they are asking for. Has the option to talk to a live adviser/expert. The error check is great! Gives you a secure feeling ,that you did your taxes correctly. This year the purchase included five electronic federal filings for free. State filings were 19.95 each, which seems high. Also has an Audit Risk Meter, which gauges your chances of being audited. This feature gives you a feeling of security also.

Overall the program is easy to use, has five free electronic federal filings and available live assistance.

only as good as the person using it

from Maitland, FL

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

Turbo Tax Deluxe 2006 Full Version for PC is only as good as the knowledge  of the person using it. Will help you with any scenario, however taxes are complicated and if you don't know how to answer correctly some of the questions, there is a good or better chance that you will miss something very important and do your taxes incorrectly. And the sad thing is, you won't even know that until you receive a letter from the IRS several years later.

Yes, I am speaking from experience.  While a decent program (that we are still using), it is no substitue  for a trained tax accountant or CPA.

On the positive side, it is easy to use. It has many excellent features. Such as a deduction finder and it will import info from your financial institutions and possibly your employer. There is also free electronic filing and if you need to make changes, you only need to change something once and it will correct all the remaining forms. It is quite affordable and Intuit, the company that makes Turbo Tax, can set up an automatic delivery each year. Because of all the tax changes, you must get Turbo Tax each year.

Turbo tax makes me want to see an accountatn

from State College, PA

Comments about TurboTax Tax Preparation Software:

TurboTax 2008 Deluxe Tax Preparation Software is a pain in the neck. Our taxes aren't that complicated, I'm tech and financially savvy, so why did I spend more time yelling at the computer than entering data??? It does start of gently helping you go through first steps of process. The help system sucks tho and I was frequently confused as to what the help response was actualling referring to. There's way too many phrases and questions that the software doesnt help you with, which was one of the reasons I'd bought this for.

Whilst touting efiling as way to go, it wasn't until I submitted it that I was told that I wasn't eligible for efiling, but not before they'd charged me for it. So back to mailing it in and not holding my breath.