View more laptops

Toshiba
PSAF3U
Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC

Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC

Fantastic quality to price ratio with excellent performance!

Toshiba has done well as usual with The Satellite A205 S5825, I love the built in WiFi performance it always seems to have the best wireless connection in the house. The built in memory card reader is great for transferring picture from your camera to the laptop and handles 5 formats (Secure Digital, Memory Stick™, Memory Stick PRO™, Multi Media Card, xD Picture Card [shared slots])  My laptop came standard with 1GB of DDR2 5300 but is upgradeable to 2GB, I would definitely recommend upgrading the memory to 2GBThe 15.4” diagonal wide-screen TruBrite® TFT LCD display has a 1280x800 native resolution (WXGA)The Intel® Pentium® Dual-Core processor T23701.73GHz, 1 MB L2, 533MHz FSB has enough power to handle a normal amount of workload.The integrated Mobile Intel® GL960 Express Chip-set graphics handle performs well enough if you are not a gamer but falter in performance on newer games. although I have made most games work well enough for enjoyable play.The 120GB hard-drive is a little small, but is sufficient.

The Toshiba Satellite A205 is decent, but...

We got the Toshiba Satellite A205 two years ago and still use it today. I have to say it's a good laptop for what we use it for but it does have its flaws as well. It's a rather medium size notebook and has a pretty large screen. It was easy to set up and get going and it came ready with Windows XP.   I like the fact that it loads up quickly and is very easy to use.  There are some issues though that we have encountered while using this laptop. For some reason, when you're typing the cursor seems to jump around A LOT.  I'll be in the middle of typing up an email or filling out an application online and the next thing I know the cursor has landed somewhere in the middle or at the very top of the page!!! This is a major problem with ours at least. The other issue with this laptop is that its battery life doesn't seem to last very long. I find myself having to charge it up within an hour's time...not good! The Toshiba Satellite A205 is also heavy to tote around. You practically feel like you're lugging around a 25 lb. sack!! Well, overall, this notebook is pretty average.

overall great!

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

I love this machine, because it has withstood a lot of use and it is very durable on the cover and screen.

Volume control does not permit very loud so if you are a music person or like movies, I recommend you buy external speakers or a headset.

The weight of this computer is too heavy vs. the competition if you are always on the go. but for mostly desktop uses, it is portable enough. You can definitely get a lighter laptop nowadays, but I'm happy with the quality of toshiba and I'm certain that my next laptop will be a toshiba again.

Only drawbacks are few and not dealbreakers. I have had mine for 4 years. It now beeps alot like the hard drive is gonna burn. Charger overheats and bent such that the cord would no longer make a steady connection, causing battery problems so I replaced it.

• Battery Life:
  • Support & Service:
  • Speed/Performance:

Definitely worth the money

from Highland Village, TX

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

I bought this to replace my Dell Latitude that crashed 3 times in one year. Love the laptop, although I have had to have the hard drive replaced twice. I'm not sure if that has to do with the laptop, but was told it was because it gets too hot - I'm not a computer geek, just a user. If it turns on and does what I need to, then I'm happy.

It does have 4 USB ports, a camera expansion slot and a comfortable keyboard. I would love something lighter, but 6 lbs is better than my Dell. The large widescreen is great. Other advantages are the fingerprint and password managing software, and speaker upgrade for great sound.

Only had to deal with customer service once, and had no issues.

I am not a gamer, or at least one that likes to play top of the line 3D games, but I understand the graphics card is one of the biggest negatives about this computer. The only other negative for me is that it is slightly bulky.

Great laptop for the price

from Dunnellon, FL

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

This toshiba laptop is pretty user friendly, however windows vista takes some getting used to.  For the money this laptop is not too heavy and operates with the basics.

The battery life is approx 2 hrs, which could be better.We use it for picture making as it came with software for video production.  It has a large memory and putting pictures together with music is a breeze.  It doesn't some with to many accessories so you may want to but a wireless mouse it really make operations easier.  You will like this computer

Best PC I've had!

from Houston, TX

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

I've been having this laptop ever since February of 2008 and I'm still using it! I also have a desktop computer with more memory, but I prefer using this one more except when I'm playing games. This laptop comes with a 1GB of RAM and a not very good Intel video card with Windows Vista. That is probably the only bad thing about it, in my opinion. Also, the laptop is strong because I have dropped it about 2 times by accident and nothing happened! I bought Windows 7 about a year ago, and this laptop has become way better because Windows 7 is better than Vista. The right click button on this laptop has become black patch because of excessive use from clicking, but I don't really care much about it since it's just a button. All because of this laptop, I started loving Toshiba laptops and tell other people to get Toshiba too. My next one is of course also going to be a Toshiba laptop.

Toshiba Satellite is Great for Longevity

from Sumrall, MS

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

I am currently using my second Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. The first one lasted nearly 8 years! This one is already over 5 years old. There are many things I like about it. It is very reliable. I have never had a problem with it crashing. It is also priced very well in my opinion. There are two things that I am not crazy about. I noticed these inconveniences in my older Satellite as well-The fan to cool the laptop is rather loud. And this laptop heats up quickly so the fan is constantly running. This is annoying. Also, the battery life is horrible. This is a laptop that constantly has to be plugged in. In fact, the batteries died in both of my computers within the first two years of use. Also, the ac wall adapters that came with the computers had to be replaced eventually. The just get worn out I suppose. Overall, the fan and the battery issues wouldn't dissuade me from purchasing another Satellite. I feel like they are very dependable.

Still running perfect after 5 years

from Mesquite, TX

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

I got this laptop right after high school graduation in 2006, and I am writing this review in march 2011, I have had this laptop for the past 5 years, and I have to tell you this laptop never gave up on me. It still runs like a champ, the only thing that was ever wrong with this laptop was that the battery completely died, I have had to replace the battery, but that is just the battery i never had a problem with the actual laptop, it ran strong till now. It is still fast enough for all the programs i run, even matlab etc. I had to restore it a couple of times over the years but any malfunction of the hardware never happened. I would completely recommend this laptop to anyone, even if you are buying a used one It is a worth while investment.

from Fitchburg, MA

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

Toshibas are great computers in general. I own 1 myself and I find that it does everything I need it to. The only down fall would be that it needs just a little more memory, and a better ventilation system / more fans. Tip : Place a fan under the laptop, or buy a fan pad.

Good laptop

from New York, NY

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

This notebook is very well constructed and reliable. Toshiba is a serious manufacter and I have been always happy with the other notebooks I had in the past.

The pre-installed software is useful but sometimes if you have a connection to internet can be replaced by some other.

As I have said before the quality is high but i find that the grey coloration in the plastic is not very lasting: there are already some parts losing their grey color.

Another two things I find can be improved are the time of utilisation of the notebook with the battery and the fact that the temperature can become quite hot.

Some things I like are the quality of the sound and the quietness of the notebook.

The price for this notebook is not expensive especially if you consider the quality of the product and the fact that often you substitute your home PC with this notebook because of its good characteristics.

I'm happy with this product and I hope it will continue to work for some other years. I like to use products for long time. I'm not a kind of person who love to buy new products every year or so.

I freaking hate this laptop!

from Bowling Green, KY

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

This is the WORST laptop ever! I have owned mine for 4 years now. At first, the laptop was great! Everything worked and I swear I was in love. I think a lot of people reviewing this laptop are in that stage. I am an experienced user with this laptop and I can confidently say that this laptop sucks immensely. There are so many problems with mine, where do I even start?! Well, the first problem with this laptop was the keyboard. First, half my keyboard's keys went out! If that wasn't bad enough, the other half of the keyboard went out! So, the built-in keyboard is pretty much useless now. I have to type on an external keyboard. How embarassing! Well, after the keyboard went out, so did the camera! I have tried absolutely everything to fix this piece of crap laptop but nothing has worked. I believe it is the cheap hardware used to build this piece of crap not a software issue. Bottom line... DO NOT BUY!

Value Notebook at a reliable price.

from Clementon, NJ

Comments about Toshiba Satellite A205 Notebook PC:

This Toshiba A205 Laptop is a great computer. The makers at Toshiba have been making quality products for many years and stand behind a reputable brand. I trust this company to provide me with quality electronics at reasonable prices. This compter fits those criteria perfectly.

Adaptable. The best thing I can say about his laptop is that it is so functional. Running Windows Vista is a bit of a chalenge on 1G so I'll be expanding the memory to the max alotted 2GB asap. Otherwise it's a great platform to start from wether you want to watch dvd's on the go or surf the web wirelessly this computer can handle all your multi-tasking needs. With a dual core Intel processor you'll be whizzing through spreadsheets and downloading music from iTunes in no time at all.

The computer boasts 4 USB2.0 drives, a pc video out port, ethernet, svideo, and multicard reader as well as headphone and mic jacks. The speakers get quite loud for a laptop but not of great quality however the screen is nicely lit and shows nice color.

I think this is a great laptop for a student, a light gamer, or for anyone who just surfs and does email. It's not a high powered rocket machine, but it's a safe, reliabe, and cost effective way to keep up with technology.