4.8
Apple
Apple MacBook Pro

Apple MacBook Pro

4.8

Pros

• Good power output (4)
  • Comfortable keyboard (3)
  • Fast (3)
  • Long battery life (3)

• Graphics (4)
  • Video (4)
  • Business use (3)
  • Music (3)
  • Web browsing (3)
    • Reviewer Profile:
    • Tech savvy (3)

Best laptop on the market

After using MS Windows for over 15 years, I switched to a Mac—and I'm not going back. OSX is fantastic. The MacBook Pro comes with a host of extras: lit keyboard, built in video camera, video card that can drive a 30" display, fast processor, and easily upgradable memory. The 15" form factor is pretty much perfect for a work laptop - just enough screen real estate for screen hog programs such as Dreamweaver or Photoshop but small enough not to be bulky to carry around (I think the 17" Macbook Pro tips the scale on the too bulky side).

The glide pad is the best of any laptop computer I've used (IBM ThinkPad T41, Dell Latitude, Toshiba Satellite). One worry that I had was losing the use of the right mouse button (I use it all the time!)—well it was an unfounded fear. Turns out with the new trackpads, putting two fingers down on the pad and then clicking the large single button gets you your right click - it is much more intuitive and natural than choosing which button to click when you have two to choose from. Furthermore, moving two fingers on the glide pad will scroll whatever window you are in—no more mousing over to the scroll bar! When I started using the MacBook Pro, I was also using a Dell Latitude laptop, and found it very frustrating when upon returning to the Dell I couldn't scroll with my two fingers on the glide pad. As a side note, the IBM ThinkPad had a third button (between the left and right mouse buttons by the glide pad) which you could hold down to scroll with one finger on the glide pad. I found this was better than not having a scrolling option (as on the Dell), but more often than not it felt like a game of Twister with your fingers - the MacBook two finger solution is far superior!

Moving on to the keyboard—it has a very good feel to it. I would put it on par with the IBM ThinkPad keyboard that had been my favourite to this point. Where the MacBook Pro surpasses the IBM is in the backlighting. The backlighting is adjustable—for that matter it will automatically adjust to best match the ambient light (or lack of it). This is a much better solution than the keyboard light that was housed at the top of the ThinkPad screen. The ThinkPad's light's intensity was not adjustable and would case glare when looking at the screen.

The 15" screen on the MacBook Pro is exquisite—the best screen that I've used on any laptop. Being a creative professional, colour fidelity, contrast and image brightness are of paramount importance and the MacBook Pro does not disappoint. I have grown accustomed to the wide aspect ratio of the screen so much so that my external monitor had to be a wide aspect ratio as well (I currently use a Dell 20" monitor—Model #2007WFP).

The Bluetooth connectivity is also superb. I use a bluetooth mouse and keyboard in addition to my phone. I have yet to encounter any problems with any of the devices maintaining their connection to the Macbook. On the the WiFi end of things, 802.11g works great. Also make sure you max out your memory (I have 2GB and wouldn't mind a gig or two more) if you are using the Adobe Creative Suite

There are several improvements that could be made to the MacBook Pro:

- add a FireWire 800 port (that now exists on the latest version)
- add a harddrive activity light
- increase battery life (I get an average of 2.5 hours on a charge)
- create a dock (having to plug in 5 cords every morning when I arrive at work is not ideal)
- support more than 2GB of RAM (on the latest version you can install up to 3GB)

One final observation, the overall integration of programs is far superior on OSX when compared to Windows XP. The mac is less a collection of disparate apps and more of a computing environment. There seems to be more thought put into usability and integration on a Mac than a Windows machine. More often than not, less is more on a Mac. Less stress and more enjoyment. Less useless bells & whistles and more focus on getting things done. Less repetitive entry of data and more integration.

Having intensively used the Microsoft platform (staring with DOS back in the good old days) for more than two decades, and now having used a Mac for 5 months, I have reached a simple conclusion...

Do yourself a favour—get a Mac.

Apple MacBook Pro a bit pricey, but very unique

I have been using PCs my entire life, and ever since I started interning at an art gallery, I found it very difficult to get used to not using Windows or being able to copy and paste using Ctrl C+Ctrl P. After a while, I got used to it and realized Apple has a ton of programs that is highly precious for graphic artists, and the like. My cousin came over and showed me her Mackbook Pro. Instantly, I was attracted to it's sleek and simple, yet sophisticated design. I really like the bitten apple on the back that lights up whenever you turn the computer on. It's so easy to type using the keyboard. I love how it's ready to connect to the internet pretty much immediately. I am quite jealous of my cousin because of her computer, just don't tell her that. It's light weight, an attention-getter and sure to last for a long time. I also like the fact that there's a bult in webcam so you people you chat with can see you. The only thing is, it doesn't come with Microsoft, so that would cost an extra 80 bucks for the software to install. Other than that...I'd totally switch over. (once i get a pretty paycheck)

my experience with this item

from ksa ,yanbu

About Me designer

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful

Cons

• Heavy

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

i own 4 years ago , and it's works like a new one , but it's a little bite heavy , you can't take any where .

• Personal

This product has multiple advantages of To make you buy a co

from Egypt louxor esna

About Me Avid Gamer, Multimedia Professional, Technically Challenged, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Lightweight
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display
  • Quiet

Cons

• Freezes Up

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

Its very very powerful laptop it have very good grficx card

• Business
  • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

from Al Riyadh, Saudi Arabia

About Me Tech Savvy

Pros

• Powerful

Cons

• Short Battery Life

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

Beautiful computer does not need a beautiful description in everything at work and at home and all over the place and the best and the guest of him is in Almnteg will Alknpiotr to preventing in Hama Board so much I do not have one and I hope to have a one like Hama very organelle device that Hama device benefit in all Nas wa something I would advise me to buy it last Shi I want to say that the device Hama Edeim wa Thanks

• Personal

excellent

from excellent

About Me Avid Gamer, Multimedia Professional, Tech Savvy

Pros

• Comfortable Keyboard
  • Fast
  • Lightweight
  • Long Battery Life
  • Powerful
  • Quality Display
  • Quiet

Cons

• Freezes Up
  • Heavy
  • Poorly Designed Keyboard
  • Short Battery Life
  • Slow
  • Too Hot

excellent

• Business
  • I am an employee or otherwise affiliated with the brand

I will never go back to PC!

from Miami, Florida

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

Although the price might take you aback and re-consider buying an Apple computer - do not hesitate! It is absolutely worth the investment and is my post prized possession. First off, Apple computers never get viruses. No need to buy viruses protectors from third-party and waste money on that or worry about visiting certain websites. Next, it is just absolutely beautiful. I am not talking about the design (although that is gorgeous too), but the display on the screen. I've always felt that everything is much more clearer and brighter on an Apple screen.

The main reason I bought a Mac Pro was because I am very interested in video and photography and I really like the programs available on a Mac such as iMovie and iPhoto. However, I was amazed at everything else. It's so easy and simple to navigate on a Mac.

The weight is not too bad, could be worse. It is lighter than some other competitors. The standard memory space is good enough, although I regret not upgrading it.

Overall - AMAZING product!

Mac Book Pro Smooth Silver Bullet

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

My Mac Book Pro is like a silver bullet- metallic sheen, smooth sailing online, and just pure Mac pleasure. Mac users will know that this model is affordable, yet well built. The keyboard lights up so that one can save energy and use it in dark places, and it surfs the web quickly and seamlessly. The weight is a little heavier but is ofset by its sturdy construction.

Great keyboard that lights up, smooth web surfing.

Battery Life
Lasts as long as most Macs but would love it if it lasted longer for journeys away from outlets.

Support & Service
Mac help is good for references.

Speed/Performance
Fast surfing and processing.

Smooth as a silver bullet.

Very durable. Used by students at our school with no dings or scratches and no whittling away of its lifespan.

• Speed/Performance:

A good heavy duty laptop

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

If you are looking for something that can handle a bit more than a MacBook Air the MacBook Pro is a great choice. It is especially good for those looking to do serious photo editing or run other complex programs. It is a bit heavier of a laptop compared with the Air but this laptop is still quite a bit lighter than most other laptops by other brands. The screen resolution is amazing and the screen is easy to clean. The newer models don't come with disc drives which can be very nice since disc drives are inexpensive to purchase and can break easily once installed into the computer. An older model I owned had a disc drive which after a while started to have problems. This computer can be good for students but it needs to be kept in a protective case if it will be carried around in a backpack to protect it from being damaged. You can also purchase a covering for the keyboard which will help keep it looking nice and new.

Support & Service
I would highly recommend Apple Care if you are going to be in school so that the warranty is extended.

Not worth the money

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

HD crashed 3.5 years after purchase. Of course I just missed the deadline for the extended warranty. Having paid more than twice what a PC with similar performance would cost, this is very disappointing. I have never had this with the Dell laptops I have owned and I don't consider Dell laptops to have a great quality. I thought Apple prided itself in great quality. This is not true. They bank on the trendiness of their products and charge an arm and a leg. Not even close to worth the money. I just bought an ASUS for a 3rd of the money with the same performance.

A lot of the functionality is not intuitive. Being a PC user, some things are cumbersome. E.g. file folder organization is confusing. Another example is the keyboard. They simplified it so much that you don't have a separate numbers pad. How cumbersome to enter numbers that are all aligned in one row.

see comments above

Excellent product

from NA

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

I was gifted the Apple MacBook Pro for my birthday and it was the best gift I received till date. I just love the look, design, features and all the applications of this MacBook Pro and the best part about this Macbook is that it does not get infected by any virus unlike Windows PCs. The Macbook has a webcam and it can be used for video conferencing purposes as the application is pre installed and is very similar to Skype. There is also an application called iPhoto which can be used to edit photos, add effects, and so on.

Apple Macbook Pro is quite different and so I had to read the manual thoroughly before I started using it. It has folders that can be accessed easily by just clicking the “Space bar” of the laptop and accordingly customize the menu items on the screen. This product has a 7-hour battery backup. There is a Launch Pad which is similar to the “Start” button of Windows. Most of the applications are pre installed and the durability of this product is very good compared to other brands. I strongly recommend the purchase of this product.

Got Me Through Grad School

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Apple MacBook Pro:

This was my first experience with a Mac. I had been living overseas, teaching English in the virus/piracy capital of the world. My poor Dell laptop had experience the blue screen of death numerous times, only to be revived to a slower functioning state by a friend who was an incredible tech wizard.
After too many lost papers and photos, I opted for a Apple MacBook Pro. Not having ever been an Apple user, I was scared at first. The "close window" buttons were on the left. The programs were different. My mouse pad was not the same.
These issues quickly disappeared in my euphoria at having a laptop that was so intuitively designed and well-functioning.
No more crashing! I never purchased virus protection, and even the great hackers and virus creators in large eastern country where I lived couldn't touch my MacBook Pro.
I love the screen size and flatness of the computer, since I backpacked all over Southeast Asia and back and forth to graduate school in Chicago each summer.
Once you go Mac, you never go back!