2.5
Other Misc. Finances:
ThankYou Rewards Network

ThankYou Rewards Network

2.5

Earn Points - Get Rewards. Thanks!

I frequently shop online and I frequently use my credit card when I do so.  Therefore, when I received an offer from Citibank to join the **ThankYou Network Rewards Program** it was an easy decision to become a member. Joining the **ThankYou Network** is simple: you need an eligible Citibank credit/debit card or checking account and you can sign up directly at www.*thankyou.com* or www.*Expedia.com*.  Once you've joined the network, you earn points for every dollar spent on purchases with your bank card.  I have earned additional points by booking travel through Expedia.com even if I use another credit card to make my travel payments.

Most of my points are earned through the shopping links located throughout the website.  There are over 400 retail websites available to choose from and include major retailers like Target, Best Buy, and Overstock, and Old Navy.  I have earned an average of 4 points for every dollar spent; sometimes as many as 6 points.  The points add up quickly, particularly around the holidays and vacations.

The only downside to getting my ThankYou points is that I sometimes forget to sign in at the ThankYou website and click through to the retailer's site.  The site navigation is cumbersome; you have to do a lot of clicking to get to the page that lists the online retailers.  Even so, you have to go through the process.   If you just go to the retailer's site and make your purchase without the click-through, you don't get the bonus points you're otherwise entitled to.  I still get 1 point per dollar, but not the extra 4 or 5 points available by clicking through.

Redeeming the points for goodies is the fun part, and it's easy.  Simply log into your account and browse through the categories that correspond to the number of points you have to spend.  I tend to select the $50 store gift cards, but there are other items (i.e., sports equipment, electronics, jewelry, rock-climbing lessons, etc.) if you have enough points saved up.

Bottom line, if you're going to shop and use your Citibank card anyway, then signing up with the **ThankYou Network Rewards Program** is a smart move.

Awful. Amounts to thievery. Well, throw in some imperialism too.

The ThankYou Network website is like a minefield. Its search feature sometimes will, sometimes won't find an item you know you just saw a few minutes ago. And when you do manage to click around enough to relocate that item, you may see different points values for it, depending on which page you are looking at. Then if you do order the item, the number of points deducted ends up being a figure you never saw before.Though the item's page claimed it "usually" ships in 3-5 days, my order remains "IN PROGRESS" 3 weeks later. I was told on the phone several times that at 20 calendar days after placing it I'd get a status email with an option to a cancel the order. Yeah, right... no email appeared. So another phone call got me yet one more officious rep, who informed me that the previous 2 reps could not have said I'd get this 20-day email and I had no option to cancel. Plus: they are "unable" to verify the item is in stock/back ordered/never going to happen.A supervisor, though, did offer me the cancel option about 4 minutes later - but restoration of the points would take 3-5 weeks, during which time I would have no email or any other proof that any of this had happened. My only choices were to just leave things as is, waiting up to 2 more weeks to allow the anonymous vendor to ship the item (without any assurance they ever would); or say I'm canceling, get no acknowledgment of same, and wait 3-5 weeks to allegedly see the points restored to the account. Challenging the 3-5 week wait for point restoration given immediate point deduction when an order is made, the reply was it would take 3-5 weeks to "send" the request (request??? like I'm begging??) to another department. Send?? Is that by stagecoach?Just another gigantic self-serving institution with labyrinthine policies to throw in the consumer's face, preserving itself by keeping none of its promises. Welcome to Moscow, circa 1955.

Good Rewards Program - Lots of Options

from Hartford, CT

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

I started using this rewards program with my Citibank MasterCard. I would accumulate points with purchases, and could cash them in for various rewards. For awhile I would get gift cards - Best Buy, Bath and Body Works, CVS and Barnes and Noble. Then I discovered that they would redeem for statement balances, $50 at a time. THEN I saw that I could cash them in for checks towards my student loan payments. I was never disappointed with whatever rewards I chose, quick processing and easy transactions. I even purchased an item on their rewards site and still had a good experience.

I use my credit card to pay many of my monthly bills (cell phone, cable, car insurance) just so I can rack up my points quickly - I simply pay the balance of these charges in full each month. Now I can use my points (with almost no minimum) on Amazon to shop, or can even use them against my statement without waiting for the $50 credit amount. The points earned are usually only 1 per dollar, although there are some deals for extra points for 'dining and entertainment' with some of the cards. I enjoy being able to utilize bill paying and shopping and turn them around for fun or even necessary items at discounts through the Thank You points program.

Citibank ThankYou Rewards

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

In this day and age most credit card companies like to give their customers some form of rewards. There are cash back, lower interest rates, money towards your account, etc. Depending on your individual spending habits you may prefer one over the other, but getting points every time you use your credit card is a nice incentive. I actually never used this feature of my credit card for a long time. I always thought it was complicated to trade in the points, and many times I could not figure out how to navigate the website, to use the points. A year or so ago I received a notice that I could link my Citibank account to my Amazon.com account and use the points through them. Awesome! Now whenever I shop on Amazon I always have points from my credit card in my Amazon account ready for purchases. I love this feature, knowing that whenever I charge something with my Citibank card I can buy something through Amazon and my accumulated points will show up on this account. Very handy to have this point system.

Wonderful, great rewards! Love the choices available.

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

I have been a Citibank Thank You Rewards consumer for over 10 years. I have received several items through the program and have not been disappointed. My most recent reward was a round trip for me and my husband to Italy. I saved my points for a long time, but it was well worth it. I've been a consumer of other rewards programs and find Citibank Thank You Rewards to be the most "rewarding". I've read other reviews and find it disappointing to hear of the troubles. I have had nothing but success in navigating the site. There are thousands of rewards available in several price points. Everything from statement credits, cash, charitable contributions, gift cards, household items, trips, and more. If there is something you want and it's not available, you have the option of writing to them and putting in the request and they will do their best to make it happen. I get rewards with my checking and credit card accounts. It is easy to see where my points came from and where I've spent them. It couldn't be better. Thank you.

Awful. Amounts to thievery. Well, throw in some imperialism too.

from San Francisco, CA

travel rewards suck

from San Diego, CA

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

they are powered by expedia, but expedias site works and they don't. It wont let you pick alternative airport when you create a package, I mean it gives you an option first bun then something fails. Called the reps, they tald me it can't be done if I can't do it on the website..............why are they there then? it works on expedia.,,,,, sucky service, sucky rewards program.........

Scam! Scam! Scam!

from San Diego, CA

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

Dollar-for-point ratio is too high, all good rewards require even more points.

Customer service is kind of rude, and there's always a clause somewhere that doesn't let you get a good deal. Very dissapointing.

They said I can combine points from any accounts at first, but wouldn't even let me combine my wife's expedia points with my account once she signed up for it.

Overall, this company has a street scammer/timeshare seller vibe.

Unbelievable!! ThankYou bonus center is NOT Mac compatible!!

from Silver Spring, MD

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

Was not able to link to merchant site and make a purchase to earn bonus points.  Called the help desk TWICE.  First time, the tech also could not log in to merchant site through thankyou network but could if went directly to the merchant site without the middle man.  He said they'd fix it on their end since it was a problem there and call us back.  Then someone leaves a message saying they were calling to assist us with the problem and they'd call back.  We called help desk again to find out what is up - UNBE (freaking) LIEVABLE - The problem is that we are using a Mac and Thankyounetwork only works with Internet Explorer!!?!!  Do they NOT want the TONS of people with Macs to use their credit cards??!??  Guess not.

Really sucks the Thankyou Network

from Baton Rouge, LA

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

Really sucks the Thankyou Network. It's take 3 weeks and 1 day to get my order which is a giftcard. I called them to cancel my card at the end of 3 weeks. The representative asked to fill a cancellation form and fax it to them. I did it. Then they refuse to put my points back to my count.

If that's how you "thank" me, should I be insulted?

from State College, PA

Comments about ThankYou Rewards Network:

Citi's ThankYou Network, as large as it is, has problems. I spend relatively little but I very carefully observe the rules when it comes to making purchases that qualify for ThankYou points. The people in charge drop the ball ALL THE TIME. Very frequently, purchases fail to be credited within three billing cycles. The people in charge say that these things are done automatically. So....? What am I left to believe about the way things are automated? From my experiences I can only assume that everyone has the same problems. Don't call and ask questions because you'll only get an "Idunno" from people who don't know, or you'll get the run-around from people who do. It'll be very frustrating. Add more frustration, if the customer service agent you're speaking to does not speak your language natively.

As for the rewards themselves, they're not much to speak of. They're way overpriced! For instance, a typical DVD movie will cost about 2,100 points. You can actually purchase points on your own, at a rate of $25 per 1,000 points. This of course means that buying a DVD will cost you over $50!

Here are some of the rules to keep in mind when making purchases and accumulating points:

- The ThankYou Points that accumulate as a result of qualifying purchases made expire after three years.
- The ThankYou Network member can only accumulate up to 75,000 ThankYou points per year.
- You have to be logged into the ThankYou Network via their website AND use the Merchant links through their website in order for the purchases to qualify.
- Qualifying purchases may take one or two billing cycles on average to be recorded.

Did you know that the ThankYou Network has reward items worth almost 41 MILLION points? Yes, the ThankYou Network offers a luxury boat, the Sea Ray 340 Sundancer comes in at almost 41,000,000 points. Doing the math, if you can only accumulate 75,000 points per year, and the points from qualifying purchases expire after three years, a person seeking to buy such a reward will still have to come up with another 40-and-some million points in order to purchase this reward. At $25 per 1,000 points, This poor fool is going to pay 1.6 million dollars extra in order to buy this item. And that's considering you actually get all of the reward points you have coming to you (see above). Even with ALL options, fully loaded, the dealers will charge you at MOST a little over $450,000 for this boat.

This is just one of the outrageous examples that can be found while gazing through the litany of impossible "rewards" that the ThankYou Network offers.

Save yourself time, money and aggravation and just skip over this useless reward system.

Earn Points - Get Rewards. Thanks!

from Chicagoland, IL