Other Misc. Finances:
ING Direct

ING Direct

ING Direct Orange Savings Account has the best rates around!

My husband and I finally made the switch to internet banking this year.  We researched several online banks and were sold on the **ING Direct Orange Savings Account**.

After...Read complete review

After receiving only pennies in interest from our local bank and credit union, we now receive a **3.0%** Annual Percentage Yield (**APY**) on our savings account.  I have yet to find an actual bank branch to offer that high of a rate on a savings account.

Even better, using a referral link from a friend who already had an account with **ING Direct**, my husband and I both received **$25 in FREE money** as a sign up bonus in each of our individual accounts.  My friend receives $10 for each referral that she makes.

My husband and I use our savings accounts strictly for that - saving.  We have no plans to transfer our money back into our local bank's checking account.  However, it seems to be a very easy process to do so.

**ING Direct** also offers great rates on their checking accounts and CD's.  The 12-month Orange CD is currently offering a rate of 3.30% APY.  The Electric Orange Checking Account has a beginning APY of 1.74% and goes up to 3.40%.

Signing up for an **Orange Savings Account** at **ING Direct** is easy.  I highly recommend it to anyone who is looking for a better interest rate than is being offered at their local bank and credit union.  Also, be sure to find a friend who is already a member so that you can obtain your **FREE $25** **sign up bonus**!

No real advantages over an account with other banks

I opened an ING direct originally because their interest rates were significantly better than the average banks.  Now this is not so much the case.  The rates through ING are still a bit better, but not by much.  I honestly would say that the little bit you gain with ING is not really worth it considering the inconvenience of not having a physical bank to go to and execute transactions or ask questions.  I have now opened a savings account with the same bank I have my checking account through and that gives you much quicker access to the money.  ING often takes a few days to transfer the money to another account for you to use, but other banks doing it within their own bank immediately.  If you are putting a large amount of money into a savings account and will never need immediate access to it, than the account may be advantageous for you.  Otherwise, I think you are just as well off going with the same bank for all accounts because of the convenience factor.  ING does offer checking accounts as well I believe, so that is another possibility.

ING is now Capital ONE and they are horrible!

from Wallingford, PA

Comments about ING Direct:

There are no branches to make cash deposits. If you deposit a check over $400.00 it takes a TOTAL of 8 DAYS to clear...or longer depending on when you deposit it and if it is a holiday. YOU CANNOT ACCESS YOUR FUNDS FOR ALL THAT TIME. Look for a different bank if you need to pay your bills or access to your money! Capital one has such a monopoly on peeps, perhaps we should protest!

ING Direct Orange Savings Account - paid me $125!

from Asheboro, NC

Comments about ING Direct:

I saw a promotion for ING around Black Friday 2012. If you signed up for their Orange Savings account and made 10 purchases within the first 45 days, they would give you a $125 bonus on day 50. I applied for the account and waited for the card in the mail. Waiting on the card took a few days. So did getting the bank information set up to move money onto the card. So did getting the money onto the card. BUT, the 45 days was still plenty of time to make 10 purchases (most of which, for me, were only $1-$2 purchases off dollar menus and snack racks at the gas station) necessary to get the bonus. I think I spent $15 out of pocket. Not bad for a $110 profit!

Ing Direct Brokerage and Bank is a solid option but...

from Skokie, IL

Comments about ING Direct:

They were recently taken over by Capital One Bank. As of now, it is not clear if the great service will continue.

Ing Direct is an online bank and brokerage service. The banking side offers money market account. As an online bank, deposits need to be transferred electronically, and it is easy to set up connected acounts. Withdrawals can be made by transfer or debit card. They often have periodic bonuses ($25) for establishing a new account.

I've also used their brokerage account to buy mutual funds. A small universe of funds are available without a load or transaction fee. Most other funds are available but will have to be bought with a load fee. I was happy with the fund choices and execution.

They offer IRAs, which I set up with a bonus and sharebuilder accounts to build up share balances though small monthly purchases.

I am happy with Ing Direct Bank and Brokerage and hope it continues to be excellent under Capital One.

Absolutely NOT for an amateur invester!

Comments about ING Direct:

As an amateur investor we selected the ADVANTAGE PLAN; thought it would give US the Advantage! Unfortunately, the ADVANTAGE WAS THEIRS! We invested $12.00 a month to buy Walmart Stock, and they CHARGED US $12.00 a month to take our money. After 3 years of investing, we have a grand total of $3.30 in our Stock Fund!

The interest rates with Ing Direct beat all others.

from Monroe, LA

Comments about ING Direct:

I have had funds deposited with Ing Direct for about six years now.  Their interest rates on a simple savings account beat most any local bank.  CD rates are usually a lot higher than even  a local bank's "specials" on CD's.  Ing has both long term and short term CD's to choose from as well.  It is a good place to put aside money that you aren't going to spend in the near future and let it grow.  Ing recently bought Sharebuilder.  I have a stock portfolio at Sharebuilder and I couldn't be happier about that.  Now my investments and savings are basically all in one place.

You'd be crazy not to open an account with them.

from Long Branch, NJ

Comments about ING Direct:

ING offers great rates, great incentives for opening accounts, and a super-easy online interface.  I have a checking account with my local brick-and-mortar bank for convenience's sake, but I keep my savings with ING.  I have money direct-deposited there from my paycheck and can transfer it to my checking account free in one day if I need to.  There is no minimum balance to open or maintain the account, so it's a great emergency fund.

What a great way to save money!

from Atwater, OH

Comments about ING Direct:

The Orange Savings account at ING Direct is now paying 4.2% interest with NO minimum balance.  My local brick and mortar bank is paying something like 0.4% on a savings account right now.  I like being able to tuck dollars away just a few at a time when I have them to spare.  It all adds up - and now it finally pays interest too!  Just a few clicks puts it back in my local checking account.  This higher interest rate is like FREE money - and FREE money is ALWAYS a good thing!!

High yielding, safe.

from Houston, TX

Comments about ING Direct:

For various reasons I closed my savings account at my bricks and mortar bank. I knew I needed some form of savings but the minimum opening balance, not to mention the balance required to avoid a fee, was out of reach. In an order from Amazon.com was an advertisement for ING Direct, an online bank whose accounts are linked to a bricks and mortar bank's checking account. I was leery of online banks so just ignored it. But articles I read in the newspaper's business section, as well as the fact that the accounts are insured by the FDIC caused me to decide to give it a try. First an account has to be set up as would be any financial institution. This is a relatively easy process but it is advisable to copy, or save, all documents. This is the first step, your checking account information must be verified. If you are familiar with PayPal you will be comfortable with this. Two small deposits will be made to your checking account, you must give the* **exact** *amounts. Log into your account, verify your banking information, and your account is set up. It is not a requirement but you are strongly advised to verify your email. You have the option of making changes to your account, such as adding or removing a depositor at a later date, but for security purposes this can only be done by phone.www.ingdirect.com

Flexible, Motivating, Easy with a Good Return

from Sandwich, IL

Comments about ING Direct:

ING Direct provides the common person a flexible savings environment.  For as little as a $1 you can begin building your wealth.  This eliminates the nay-sayers "I don't have enough money to save".

How can you beat the ZERO FEE's.  Every bank I have ever walked into - i.e. brick and mortar, has placed a fee on something.  Knowing my money will stay my money is a huge perk.

The greatest motivator, that is ONLY provided at ING Direct is their Interest Ticker.  At any moment of any day you can see your money growing.  Talk about motivation.  It just makes you want to save more.

Interest rates have dropped, due to the economical world we live in, but ING Direct at 1.4% is still miles ahead of the .15% at my local bank and worth the time and energy to utilize them in my wealth building plan.

Speaking about wealth building, with their no-minimums carrying over into CD's, they are the best place to build your 6 month emergency fund.  Great rates and low minimums, why do we even save money in our local brick and mortar banks?

Best Internet Banking Friendly Customer Service

from Woodstock, GA

Comments about ING Direct:

ING Direct has NO FEES when you bank with them.  They are the best and most secured internet banking that I have experienced.  Every time I have a problem and need to call the Customer Service number, there is never a wait on the phone.

The only downside is you have to wait a few days for the money to be transferred if it is not within ING Direct.  But for the advantage of having no fees at all, it is worth the wait if you plan ahead of time.

Savings rates are also higher than most banks.  Worth checking it out!