3.5

3.5

Pros

Cons

• Settings/Features:

Its expensive, but I just can't get rid of it!

I have the Time Warner Cable DVR with Digital Cable.  I love that you can set up your season shows, and records either new, repeats, or both.  It records 2 shows at once, and you can still watch tv while its recording. Plus I love the pause and rewind/fast-forward feature....I almost hate to watch regular tv, since I can't fast-forward through the commercials!  I wish they thought of these things sooner.  It costs a lot, but I couldn't go back to caveman times!

Decent, But Could be Better

If you buy cable from Time Warner you likely have a Cisco/Scientific Atlanta DVR or converter box. I upgraded to HD a while ago and was given the Cisco 8640HDC. It come with a 320GB hard drive and the Navigator software. My first impressions were good but after a few weeks it started to act up. It will occasionally not turn on properly and leave you with a blank screen. Other times the screen goes blue or grayish-purple. The only way to reset it is to unplug it. It also tends to pixelate video, especially on the more graphic intensive movies although that could be the signal itself.

The Navigator software is atrocious. To compare this garbage to TiVo is like comparing a Model T to a Bugatti Veyron. It is slow as can be, forgets my preset recordings all the time and is not at all user friendly. It is constantly telling me about "recording conflicts" AFTER is has decided not to record certain shows. Why not tell me about these conflicts before hand so I don't miss my shows?

Great when it works!

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

I gave this an 8 because I think the DVR is one of the greatest thing since sliced bread but we have to unplug it once a week. It starts slowing down until its going so slow that you have to reboot it by unplugging it!

Capacity
500 GB 1TB if you have two DVRs is not enough room!

Recording Quality
Some of the time it stops and freezes and the goes to the end of the show.

My son has been using that since he was he was 4 years old.

Awful !!!

from Julian, NC

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

This DVR has to be replaced all the time. It will just reset in the middle of a show. It will also stop like it is hung up. It gets hot and you have unplug it and it takes forever for it to rebot and come back. The show you are watching will be over before it completely loads again!

Capacity
It holds several shows.

Recording Quality
Some shows stop for no reason. And they freeze up!

Very easy to use.

Decent, But Could be Better

from Oneida, NY

Doesn't record

from Barberton, OH

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

avoid anything TWC has its name one. DVR will decide not to record your individual shows or series for absolutely no reason. No schedule conflict, just doesn't work. The hardware is cheap, software is useless.

Great quality DVR!

from Austin, TX

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

I have been with Time Warner for quite a few years, and recently decided to get a Ti-Vo. This was probably the best investment that I have made in a while! The quality of the receiver is great. I have never missed a tv show, as the recorder is great at recording every TV show, and I never miss anything. The recorder occassionally records non-new shows when you set it to record new shows, but aside from that it is great. I also wish that it would warn you when the recorder is full or near full. There are some times where I will record a show, but it will not record because my DVR is full. I have never had any problems with the box not turning on, and the reception and picture quality are superb.

GOOD DVR DOES WHAT IS MADE TO DO

from Redondo Beach, CA

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

Awesome DVR does what it is meant to do it records your tv shows you cannot watch or dont have time to watch because your watching other things on tv. i have used this set frequently to record shows when i am at school for i go to school at night time. so i frequently use my DVR to record my shows when i am at school it is easy to use and has a menu to show all of your tv shows or movies you have recorded. it also has the awesome feature or rewinding and pausing live tv how awesome is that??? amazing feature its just like tivo and does exactly the same thing the only difference it doesnt have the annoying sound when you rewind or pause. The dvr has lots of memory and can easy store a bunch of content. you can record up to two shows at a time ( i belive i havent tried more) and i also think it has a feature where u can set a recording online to your tv ( havent tried it yet) this dvr is an awesome peice to add to a person collection who doesnt have alot of time to watch tv.

awesome machine but would love it more if it recorded 4 programs

from Sherman Oaks, CA

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

I love having a DVR!! It's absolutely the best invention since cable TV was created. We are not always home so being able to record programs (up to 2 at a time) and watch them whenever we want and spped through irritating commercials in 4 seconds is amazing. Plus, if you're watching live TV, you can freeze the program or rewind it whenever you want!! That's great if you happen to miss part of a punch line or want to show someone that you caught an actor wearing a wristwatch during a biblical movie (;-)). I can program entire series, new episodes and repeats, old series shows that are broadcast on more than one channel (i.e. Cheers, Friends). But my only pet peeves are that you can only record two shows at one time and you HAVE to be watching one of them at the time. It wont let you record two shows and let you watch a 3rd. AT&T U-Verse's DVR  lets you record up to 4 shows at one time. It defeats the purpose of wanting to record two shows and force you to watch one of the two. I like recording the old 40's movies, one of my favorite shows on the Big 4 networks and watch Monday Night Football. The TWC DVR wont let me do that. SIGH. But it's still a great machine!!

Add more recording space

from Honolulu, HI

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

It was like getting a present for Christmas - cable box DVR.  I record everything from tv shows, reality, movies, specials, etc.  It's better than having to buy a DVD player that records then burn it to a DVD disc.  Too muh trouble.  When you're done watching, delete and make space for more.

TWC DVR - works great! I use it everyday.

from Sherman Oaks, CA

Comments about TWC DVR - Time Warner Cable DVR:

I've been a Time Warner Cable client for a couple of years now but only recently got the DVR.  Now I couldn't live without it.  I rarely watch tv as it is aired.  Instead, I watch my DVR recordings.  You can watch and record at the same time - great for those times when you can't decide on one show.  Setting up recordings is easy.  Just click on the show you want to record, decide whether you want a one-time recording or a series recording, and  you are good to go.  TWC DVR is definitely worth checking out.

Its expensive, but I just can't get rid of it!

from Cincinnati, OH