4.1
Sony Camcorder

Sony Camcorder

4.1

Great Product to own

This is a great produt that everybody should have for its quality, its simplicity and most importantly it is extremely reliable. Extremely compact and lightweight; good ergonomics; decent video quality; accessory shoe. Extremely compact and lightweight; good ergonomics; decent video quality; accessory shoe. Video input type: Camcorder; Effective sensor resolution: 6.8 megapixels; Optical zoom: 10 x

The DCR-HC30, like the other two budget HC models, combines a very compact design with comfortable ergonomics. One thing that really sets Sony's consumer camcorders apart from the crowd is their touch-screen LCD system, which we have mixed feelings about. There are few physical controls on the body of the DCR-HC30 because you access most settings through the touch-screen menus. This makes for a simple, uncluttered design, but if you're the kind of person who likes to fiddle with the controls, you'll probably find it less than convenient to navigate through screens of options. And if you have large fingers, making the selection you want may be awkward. Fortunately, the physical controls that Sony does put on the camera body are useful and well placed.

Sony quality and service - gone forever?

I researched this purchase a great deal, and I am very satisfied with the features, including Carl Zeiss lens, good optical zoom, pretty good color and video quality.  But soon after I received this item, I started to have problems.  I started to see messages advising me that the heads needed cleaning, ever though I had just purchased the unit.  I started to see lines across the screen, and other digital artifacts (i.e., junk) on playback.

If I had been smart, I would have seen this as a warning sign, and returned it.  Instead, I cleaned the heads, and everything worked fine again -- until just after my warranty expiration. Fortunately, there was a recall that allowed me to return the unit for warranty service.  But even after this service (and one more attempt at repair by Sony), I still have the same problems intermittently, and now I have a continuous, annoying "Lens cover closed" message even when the lens cover is open.  (Just annoying; no practical consequences.)  This unreliability is annoying, and even stressful, when one has little kids and those missed moments feel quite precious.

I've tried to get Sony to view this as a lemon and just send me another, but they refuse.  Actually, they have some sort of final appeal to their executive offices that I can make, but I refuse to spend another minute doing more paperwork for this.  I am sure, based on their poor service to date, they'd deny it in any case.

Time was, Sony was the gold standard on product features, quality and service.  Now, they're just another consumer electronics company, and have probably ceded their mantle to Samsung.  What a waste.

I think this has been my last Sony electronic purchase.

Sony make believe.

from algeria

About Me Pro Videographer

Pros

• Good Image Stabilization
  • Great Picture Quality

Cons

• HD Shooting

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

Its a good product you must buy it.

• Was this a gift?:

Technology at its fullest, this is a must for electronic buyers!

from Bellaire, MI

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

this is a must for electtronic buyers!! good HD quality and picture puts you in the middle of every pic and movie!!people who like camcorders and video cameras should add this all new camera/recorder to their christmas list for the holidays!!it is erasonably priced and worth all of the money that is spent on this one item!! i have one of these camera slash video recorders and i have got to say it is one of the best video camera recorders i have ever had seen or have bought from any electronic or best buy store!!!!

it is totally user friendly

from Beatrice, NE

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

I like this product because it is very user friendly. It's also easy to handle, light weight, and very portable. Takes good quality pictures, yet allowing to you edit photos that you dont like at first. I would recomend it to both a beginner and pro.

What a great product!

from Bradenton, FL

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

This is a great camera, I use it for everything around the house when filming my family members. It is very clear as well, which is always a plus! I fell in love with this thing the first time i used it!  It is very reliable and easy to use.  Someone familiar with cameras would really enjoy it. It would make a great Christmas gift!

Excellent camera, does everything I want plus more...

from Brattleboro, VT

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

I purchasex this camera last summer so I could take some pictures and video at a special Red Sox game for my disabled son. We got to go out on the field and meet some of the players. I was taking video and found I could pause the video and take pictures as the players posed with my son. What a great feature. Without this capability I would have to have had two cameras and this would be very cumbersome. When I got home I easily downloaded these excellent quality pictures and videos into my computer then printed my pictures and easily created and edited my video. This made our special day a life long meorialized thrill to be visited and enjoyed over and over again. Thank you Sony...

it is an ectraordinary gift to show u r life with high quality

from Richmond, VA

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

My husband bought this camcorder six months back, its an wonderful gift of my life . We got married three months back and we had captured every movement with that. its a fentastic experience with this Sony camcorder and got high quality picture. And its very small and easy to handle. user friendly. I recommended to one of my friends to bye this camcorder. And they bought it too and they are capturing the every sweet and cut moments of their new born baby. I am so glad to express my views about this camcorder. Sony is the best one i ever used.

I would be willing to tell all about this product.

from Princeton, KY

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

This is a good product for those of us who like to take pictures of our families, who need the comfort of having something small and useable in situations, where we need to be able to take movies at the drop of a hat. This camcorder is ready to go a moments notice and is really easy to use and be able to play again. lite to carry and does not kill your hand or your arm trying to take said movies.

buy sony to keep your memories alive

from Woburn, MA

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

really a great product i bought this last year really i am enjoying this product i just u to buy this product as a first choice, my friends also bought this one, really they are also enjoying this product, by keeping their memories alive, sony company is a good one i had ever seen, really i enjoy sony company products i got sony digital camera also it is 7.2 mega pixal really good one, friends u also enjoy these products from sony company.

Could be better, good value for price

from Waynesville, MO

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

This camcorder is small and easy to hold, with excellent button placement. The only big flaw is in its handling is with the touch screen menu, as it forces the user to dig around for things that, if externally located, could be accessed without disrupting the recording process

very good camcorder!!!

from New Providence, NJ

Comments about Sony Camcorder:

Other features I really like that are not usually talked about are the night shot mode and the still camera ability. Night shot gives it that Desert Storm night vision look. Maybe it is just a novelty with no real practical use, but a really cool feature nonetheless. As for the built-in 4 mega pixel ability as a still camera...one word - impressive. Most people don't buy camcorders for their snapshot abilities, but for someone like me who hikes and mountain climbs regularly, I needed an all-in-one unit with good results. Again, using my dog as a subject I snapped off about 10 still images in different lighting conditions and zoom levels. I then downloaded them to my computer and printed them to my Epson Photo Printer at 8" x 12" on photo paper. I got perfect results. So not only do I have a top-notch camcorder, I have a very good digital still camera as well. It's a good camco.