Other Misc. Prescription Medicines:
Retin-A
Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths)

Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths)

I smuggled Retin-A from a Mexican pharmacy. My story & WARNING!

***Quick View:*** Please never use this product without a valid prescription and use ONLY as prescribed. Your issues could get much worse if you don't follow directions precisely. If you do, this is a really awesome cream for troubled skin.

***My Sordid, Secret Retin-A Story***

I suppose I can tell you. It's just between us right?  A couple of years ago, just after passing the dreaded 40 mark,  I looked at my face and thought, man, I am OLD. So I went to my doctor and demanded **Retin-A**. Never mind that I didn't know much about the stuff. I knew it helped skin to look better and I wanted it. My doctor was puzzled and said no. After I basically staged a sit in, he gave me a prescription but my insurance wouldn't cover it because I hadn't tried other acne products first. Oh, I had never had acne. I didn't even know it was for acne. With that avenue closed, I did what any crazy old lady would do. I got some **Retin-A** via a Mexican pharmacy online. I had no idea what strength to get – it comes in several strengths - so I got the most potent. Hey, why not right? When the stuff came – three tubes of .10% **Retin-A**, the directions were in Spanish. DOH. I had no idea how to use it or how much to use. But like any crazy old lady, I glopped the stuff on and waited to look 15 years younger.

Let me just say that this is NOT a medication to be taken lightly. It is definitely one to use under a doctor's care and should never, ever be used like I used mine. I would use it twice a day almost like a moisturizer. That is NOT how it is intended to be used. After about two weeks of use, my face started to look red. Not bad red, just sort of sunburned red. Then it started to peel. Like sunburn peel. A LOT of peeling. I remember being on vacation with my family and my kids would tell me my face was falling off. I would be at dinner and, when I laughed, pieces of skin would fall off onto my plate. SICK!

I wasn't sure what was happening but I backed off the **Retin-A** to once a day or every other day and let my face fall off. The good news is, after it DID peel, the skin underneath was amazing. My skin totally glowed like never before. The tone, texture, and color were really beautiful. I didn't know it then, but I had basically given myself a facial peel almost like what a laser would do.

However, the results were short lived. My skin felt very dry from using **Retin-A** and, if I stepped in the sun, I burned like crazy. Even with sunscreen. My face also felt tender and sore. I stopped using the stuff for a while but I longed for the rosy glow so I started using it again once a day. Again my face peeled, although not quite as badly. I had my rosy glow back but this was getting old. Using the stuff, basically burning off my skin, getting a great complexion, then having my face dry out and feel tight and sore. I stopped using **Retin-A** after several months. Sometime after that, I saw a dermatologist for an unrelated issue and mentioned what I had done and her jaw dropped. She scolded me for using online pharmacies and for putting such strong stuff on my face. I didn't need it and I was using it all wrong. She said I was very lucky to have gotten away with using the stuff without major issues. Oops.

***But if YOU need it… ***

Having told you my story, I will say that IF you need this product for acne, uneven skin texture or tone, or bad sun damage, this does seem effective. However, it is very harsh and the peeling process is unattractive and somewhat painful. Your doctor will best advise you how to use this and how to lessen side effects. And he or she will make sure you do not go into the sun without a very high SPF on your face because your face will burn to a crisp otherwise. A better choice is Renova, which is gentler but still gives people in need good results. **Retin-A** is nothing to mess around with. If you long for the benefits of it without the side effects, look for products with Retinol which is like Retin-A junior. ROC is a good brand to try. **Retin-A** is not really for wrinkles (or perceived wrinkles). It is for other problems but the cell turnover does make the skin smoother and more vibrant.

This is good for its intended purposes but should be used under the care of a knowledgeable doctor and all instructions should be discussed. Side effects should also be discussed because there are some really nasty ones that can crop up. Also, you may have a medical condition that prevents you from using this product so ***see a qualified doctor and let him or her make the prescribing decisions. ***I have never "self medicated" my face again and never will. I have a non-prescription skin care regiment that works well for me and I don't want to mess with the heavy-duty stuff. I simply do not need it. My skin is in good shape and I am super lucky that it is. If you need this, though, I say go forth and use it. Just follow instructions and precautions and know that more or stronger doesn't mean faster or better results.

***My Viewpoint***

**Retin-A** has a place in some people's skincare routines. Those people have serious skin issues that require a doctor's care. Newer and less harsh formulas have come out that have many less side effects than **Retin-A** and that work as well but, if your doctor wants you to use it, you should. If you use this as prescribed, I believe you will see dramatic results. I did and I didn't use it as prescribed. If only I could read Spanish***! I give this medication 4 stars*** based on my own experience which leads me to believe people in need will benefit from proper usage. I recommend it but, as always, your doctor knows better than anyone writing a review on the net who went to a Mexican online pharmacy and smuggled **Retin-A** into the country (It is actually legal.) to turn back the hands of time. What a dork I am.

***Edit:*** I want to CLARIFY that I strongly believe that Retin-A and Renova are wonderful products when used correctly under the supervision of a doctor. I know that they can clear acne and smooth the skin and even reverse sun damage. I wrote this review to warn others that this product is NOT an OTC product and should be used exactly as directed and monitored by a doctor. I am actually considering trying it again IF I can get a valid prescription and medical supervision. If not, I will continue using retenoids (Retinol products) which are lower concentrations of Retin-A but do work to even skin tone and soften lines.

***Update: June 19, 2010***: I have been using Retin-A .05% about four times a week since February, 2010. My dermatologist caved and gave my prescription but cautioned me not to use more than a pea sized amount and to skip a day between applications. I did peel at first and have stinging but that is pretty much a thing of the past. My skin looks good. I don't see HUGE results but I do see results. I also now use it on my chest and neck mixed with a bit of moisturizer. I never peeled on those areas but did itch a bit. Under the care of a doctor and applied correctly (and sparingly), Retin-A is effective and can reverse sun damage, lighten dark spots, even skin tone, and smooth wrinkles as well as address acne. Just be careful and use sparingly. Good luck!

Perhaps I expected a miracle?!

I was prescribed .04% retin-a by my dermatologist for my large pores, blackheads and sun spots.  I was really excited and eager to get to using the product, previously I thought about undergoing laser skin resurfacing.  I figured that the retin-a would give a similar result without all of the cost and recovery.  I've been using the product for around 6 months now and I haven't noticed a change at all.  Occasionally my skin will peel around my mouth, that's it.  I use the product every-other day and only a small amount applied to my cheeks and chin.  I haven't experienced any sensitivity to sunlight, no redness, drying and very minor peeling.  I don't know if the strength I'm using isn't enough or if, because my skin isn't sensitive, I'm not experiencing all the side-effects that I hear other people speak of.  I'm going to continue to use the retin-a until my tube runs out and then I'll reevaluate whether the price is worth continuing on with a regiment that doesn't show me any gratifying results.

retin A .05 cream from mexico

from surfside fl

About Me Medical Professional

Pros

• Easy To Use
  • Effective
  • Great Promotes Collagen
  • Safe

Cons

• Long Term Use

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

I have used RETIN A since I was 30 ...now I am 63 and everyone says I have beautiful skin...It is to be used on clean dry skin every night...a bit only all over even under eyes...it clears up pimples black heads etc and promotes collagen build up which helps sagging...I have used the Mexican stuff for at least 20 years...less money and just as good...u should not go in the sun without sunblock and hat...also great for the backs of the hands....

Retin-A Review

from Georgia

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

Having acne for ten years, I have searched for a product that could clear those stubborn post acne scars so I decided to visit my dermatologists. My dermatologist recommended I try retin a twice daily to see if my skin would peel. I used retin a 0.1 and boy did it make my face extremely red and brown. I could not go out during the day without a lot of sunblock. However, about two weeks in, my skin started to peel really well and my acne scars had lightened. However, it did not prevent me from future breakouts for long periods of time. There would be times when my skin would be clear and other times when I would get a cystic pimple or two. Because of the pimples, I eventually discontinued use of this product. I would recommend this product to anyone who does not have the reaction I did of breaking out of course. It is also great for scars so if you need to get rid of some old skin, retin a is the product that will make you peel away your imperfections but it is not the product that will prevent you from having more.

Retin-A what do you say!

from Westchester, IL

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

I've been using Retin-A for the past 10 years and it's greatly helped with my acne prone skin. When you first use the topical cream it causes mild dryness and skin starts to peel. You must use a moisturizer with it. Doing the first couple months your skin will purge itself of all it's impurities. Which means you will breakout constantly. It will appear like your skin is getting better every other week and then it will breakout for the next 3 months. Around month 4 you'll notice less pimples and far fewer breakouts. When the 5th month rolls around you'll notice your face is completely clear, but you'll be left with red marks on your face. The red marks eventually fade away over time. You must continue to use this product after your face clears because if you don't your acne will come back slowly.

The BEST Anti Aging Defense!

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

I am 52 and look 42. I started using Retin A 30 yrs ago and it changed my acne and my life. My acne is totally under control and I have smooth beautiful skin with only a few wrinkles because I STAY OUT OF THE SUN.

I've been using it for over thirty years! Wow!

from Seattle, WA

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

I never write product reviews, but I have to say that I have been using Retin-A for over thirty years nightly.  I am approaching sixty, and most people guess that I am early to mid-forties.  My skin is smooth, and except for some rather deep wrinkles from nostrils to the corner of my mouth, I think I look terrific.  My complexion is slightly red because of the use, but I'd rather have a reddish skin than age-related wrinkles.  The strength I use is 0.1 which is pretty strong; perhaps it would be better to start with a weaker strength.  I moisturize during the day, avoid the sun since the product does cause the skin to burn easier, and use it and nothing else at night.  And don't forget to use it on your neck.  I have no sagging there, and I attribute it to Retin-A.

Great for Acne control

from Ashburn, VA

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

I have been using Retin-A Micro for a month to fight adult acne.  After 2 weeks of looking worse (red, peeling, sore), my face is starting to clear up and the acne seems to be under control.  It takes months for this to work, and you have to keep using it to see long term results.  If covered by insurance, this stuff is great!  If you get too red in the beginning, backing off for one night seems to do the trick.  A little goes a long way.

I smuggled Retin-A from a Mexican pharmacy. My story & WARNING!

from The heart of , NY

***My Sordid, Secret Retin-A Story***

***But if YOU need it… ***

***My Viewpoint***

Perhaps I expected a miracle?!

from Winter Haven, FL

Unquestionably, the Best Skin Care Product Ever Made

from The City of Champions, PA

Comments about Retin-A Topical Cream (all strengths):

For several years, I had trouble with acne breakouts. I'll admit that my acne breakouts were not that bad, but seriously? Who wants to deal with acne in their early 20s?! I certainly do not. After using several acne medications prescribed by a dermatologist, I found that Retin-A is the most effective treatment for acne.

Even though I have had great results, Retin-A is not for everyone. It is also something that you have to use every night, and it does cause peeling/redness. Most of the side effects are temporary, but always be cautious when going out in the sun. It causes photosensitivity.

That said, I truly believe that the benefits outweigh the side effects. My skin has improved greatly since I started Retin-A several months ago, and I will continue to use it as directed by my dermatologist.

Given my results, I strongly recommend those with acne problems to ask their doctor about Retin-A.

My son uses Retin-A and it works but don't miss an application!

from Detroit, MI

Retin-A Topical Cream

As a mother to a 15 year old boy, I've been spending a lot of my time lately researching and trying out different types of acne medication.  Upon our last visit to the dermatologist, the doctor had recommended Retin-A.  I remember hearing about Retin-A Cream from back when I was a teenager and a few of my friends had used it.  What stuck out the most was how my friends faces turned bright red and the acne got way worse before it started to heal up.  I mentioned this to my sons dermatologist and was told that most "good" acne medications will do that. Hmm, ok.

The first couple days that my son used Retin-A topical cream, his face did break out worse (thankfully it was over a break from school).  His face really didn't turn that red though.  Maybe because he has a dark complexion?  Now when I say his face got worse, you are probably picturing an entire face full of pimples. That wasn't the case.  He had about 4 blemishes to begin with and after a few applications, he had 6-8 more appear.

My son didn't give up on his daily face regime and after a week of using Retin-A, his entire face was clear!  He had found the answer to his teenage acne angst!

One thing he has noticed over time since starting Retin-A is that if he misses an application at night, he is sure to wake up with some activity on his face.  He learned that lesson well when he went away to hockey camp and forgot to pack his Retin-A.  When he returned home after a week, he was a broke out mess.  It was like starting all over from the beginning again.

Retin-A has it's side effects but in the end, it clears up acne.  I wish it didn't have to be prescribed by a Dermatologist and was covered by Insurance (our carrier doesn't cover it).