3.3
Pet Select
Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads

Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads

3.3

Pee Pee Pads - Our Saviour!

After having 2 larger breed dogs and a relatively easy time potty training them I never imagined the major difference in the needs of a small dog.  So when we brought our first Chihuahua home we were in for a big surprise.  Little dog=Little Bladder!  First we tried to get him on a schedule, but quickly realized we were in need of a little more help.  When my Vet suggested Pee Pee Pads I wasn't sold right away.  I could only imagine them in a million pieces all over my house, or worse that our newest little pup couldn't possibly be drawn to it.  Boy were we wrong!  Pee pee pads have worked out great for us.  Max doesn't chew them up or try to play with him.  But he quickly understood what they were to be used for, really with little effort on our part.  I would say the biggest trick no one really mentions is that you should place them in an area that is constantly accessible by your pet, and in an area where you don't mind your pet using the pads.  Once you find that spot, stick to it and don't give him or her too many options.  It just seems to confuse them.  One pad, one spot, no problems!

These pads aren't necessary for most situations.

In the past three years, I've fostered over 100 puppies while they waited to be adopted.  Unlike your average pet owner, I've had dozens of opportunities to housetrain pups.  I quickly learned what did and didn't work.  I'd classify *Pee-Pee Pads* as something that didn't work.  There are a couple of situations where I think they may be helpful but, for the most part, I think they are completely unnecessary for most people who've brought a puppy home.

*Pee-Pee Pads* are absorbent pads that are backed with blue plastic to prevent leaks rather like a child's diaper.  They are treated with some kind of chemical or scent that is supposed to attract puppies to them and encourage them to "do their business" on them.  The regular size of these pads is 22" x 23" and they come in a slightly larger size for the large breed pups.  The general idea is to place the pads near the puppy's bed, crate, etc. so he will "go" on them as needed.  Once the puppy has learned to consistently go on the pads, you are supposed to move them closer and closer to the door and eventually put them outside where you want him to go.  In theory, they are a great idea!

Unfortunately, *Pee-Pee Pads* are a flawed product.  To begin, they aren't very absorbent and usually can't hold anything more after a pup has urinated on them just once.  Puppies have to pee at least half a dozen times each day.   At about 50 cents per pad, it can get expensive to use them day in and day out for several weeks.  If you get the newspaper, you can use yesterday's news on the floor for free.

They are supposed to have a non-skid backing but that doesn't seem to be the case to me.  A playful puppy can run around and quickly turn a pancake-flat *Pee Pee Pad* into a rolled-up wad of plastic.  This leaves the floor exposed and, well, guess where the puppy is going to do his business?  Another problem is that pups just love to play with these things.  I've seen 8-week old puppies easily rip them apart in just a few minutes.  Shreds of pads don't work quite as well as intact ones.

The easiest way to housetrain a puppy is to crate-train him.  Not only does this teach him not to relieve himself in the house but it also keeps him out of trouble when you can't supervise.  These *Pee-Pee Pads* are useful only for pups younger than 8 weeks (who don't have the muscle control to "hold it") and maybe for those who live in apartments/condos where they can't just hustle the puppy outside when it's time to go.  Otherwise, I do not recommend this product.  It's unnecessary so don't let the pet store salesperson talk you into buying it.

My puppy only wanted to chew up these pads.

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

I tried these Pet Select "Pee-Pee Pads" about a year ago when housebreaking my Golden Retriever puppy. My sister used these when training her Yorkie and swore that they saved her carpet. Well, I purchased one package of them and tried them out by laying over areas where my puppy had previous accidents, and also tried covering the entire floor in my bathroom when I left her alone for brief periods of time. Supposedly the pads are made with or contain some type of scent that is supposed to attract puppies to urinate on them. However, my puppy peed everywhere but on the pads and immediately chewed on them whenever or wherever I placed them out. There were a couple occasions where she (accidentally) peed on a corner or small portion of the pad and I will say that they're pretty absorbent (and didn't leak). Aside from the fact that my pup avoided peeing on them, my biggest complaint (and concern) is that they are very easy for a puppy to chew apart - so don't leave unattended.

Some of the worst

from Southfield, MI

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

These Pee-Pee Pads are some of the worst that I've ever tried. I have used many brands and these pads from Pet Select are almost useless.
They are very thin and don't seem to absorb much at all. We have used these types of pads with our smallest dog, a Pomeranian so it's not like we needed the pads to absorb a whole lot. I can't even imagine how awful they would work if a larger puppy was using them! With my small dog they were almost like not having a pad down at all. Some times the urine would slightly pool on top of the pad. To me, this means that the padding inside isn't thick enough. In addition to that problem, the bottom of the pad is supposed to be plastic that urine can't seep through, however somehow it does. I don't know how it happens or why, but it does. It's not quite as messy as your dog peeing directly on the floor, but it's still gross.
There are many better brands out there. I would suggest passing this brand by and finding another.

Great in concept

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads are great, in theory, as a way to keep your dogs from having accidents in the house while you're trying to house train them. We tried to use these to train one of our German Shepard dogs who is now two years old. We soon realized that these can also be used as chew toys. Our dog completely destroyed these pads, and it was normally after he already went to the bathroom on them. These were a complete mess to clean up, and they ended up being more work than it would have been if I just had to clean up after his accident in the house.

With that in mind, I know a lot of people had success with this product. They gradually move it toward the house door so the dogs learn they need to go to the bathroom outside. They are also supposed to be easy to clean up since everything soaks into the pads. You just throw them away and put out a new one. They are also pretty easy to find at larger grocery stores, and they are pretty affordable.

Dog seems to enjoy tearing them up more than peeing on them.

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

When I first got my dog as a puppy, we picked up these pads to begin to house train him. We were told that it would be an easy process, and that the pad has a pheromone that attracts the puppies to pee on them. Well, apparently our puppy was an exception. Maybe the peeing pheromone smelled delicious to him because all the did was tear up the pads and chew on them and turn around ten minutes later to pee on our hardwood floor. These pads didn't really seem to work for them and we ended up giving them away to a neighbor who has puppies that used pee pads. She said that they were fine with her pups, so I think that if your dog is already trained to pee on pads then these will be fine. If you are trying to train your puppy to pee on these as a first time, perhaps you will have better luck with an alternate brand of pee pee pads. Good thing we only bought a back of ten when we first decided to pee pad train our puppy!

They really work

from Worth, IL

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

The puddle pads are great. I have a dog who learned quickly. It didnt take long to house break my dog using puddle pads. I started by placing the pad by the back door. I gradually moved it outside and Loki had no problems with going out after that. It really elimainates mess all over the house and also teaches the dog a routine of using the bathroom in the same place.

A god send when you need them.

from Greeley, CO

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

First off, you gotta know that I used this with a kitty that would no longer go in the litter box.  She began to urinate right outside the litter box.  I saw these in the pet store and figured I would give them a shot.  They work much better than newspaper or paper towels but still left some residue on the floor.  It wasn't much, but aggravating none the less because the pads were a little pricey for a tight budget.

I think they were great

from Bel Air, MD

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

I think they were great. My puppy loved them and that is what is important. There were times when he had to go out and my dog didn't. It was such a relief that he actually had someplace to go since he liked them. They were really absorbent too! Love them.

Save your money for something that works.

from Avon, OH

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

My Samoyed puppy loved these. He thought perhaps they were toys. After cleaning up shredded pads twice, I quickly learned that crate training is much less expensive, much less messy, cleaner, and safer (who would have expected a puppy to try to eat these? I was afraid he would choke on them!).  I found them impractical for real house training, and as such, a waste of money.

These worked out great for me !!!

from Brighton, IA

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

These worked great for me on what I wanted to do, I trained my ferret with these , Milo would not use his corner pan, so I layed one of these in my corner when he got use to going there , I gradually moved it in the corner pan , then he got the idea to go in there and i was able not to use them any more. worked out great for me and I lay one in his cage works out great and less mess with his litter he has in his pan..

as far as my dogs they just looked at and wouldnt use it ..Had better luck with newspaper

great when your little dog refuses to go outside in the winter

from Mesick, MI

Comments about Pet Select Pee-Pee Pads:

I was amazed when I first tried these. Didnt believe it would really attract the dog to the pad. My young puppies are started out on them, and when they are ready to sell, they are already most of the way housebroken. I have an older little dog who refuses to go outside when the snow is over her head, and she uses these, also great when I am working extra hours and no one is home to let the dogs out, save my flooring big time

I do agree that pups may play with them, and I also agree that they can be very costly, but I buy them, always have a supply and give them to new puppy owners