Other Digestion Medicines:

Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid

Pros

Cons

Pepto Bismol Relieves Stomach Problems Quickly

**Pepto Bismol** is one of America's most trusted medicines for relieving upset stomachs and other digestion- related ailments. First invented more than 100 years ago by a New York doctor, Pepto- Bismol was originally a product of the Norwich Pharmacal Company. Today, the popular pink liquid is produced by Procter and Gamble of Cincinnati, Ohio.

**Medicine Commentary:** Pepto Bismol is one of the oldest trademarked medications still in use in the United States. The triangular bottle and the pink- colored liquid are two of the most recognized features in the over the counter medicine market. Pepto Bismol is easy to take, since it is liquid, and easy to measure because a small plastic cup is included with each purchase that sits upside down on the bottle cap for easy storage. I have used Pepto Bismol for many, many years, having first been introduced to it by my mother as a young adolescent. One thing about Pepto Bismol that always bothered me when I first tried it as a kid was the mint flavor. Not that the wintergreen mint taste is bad, but the taste doesn't match the color. As a young kid, I often wondered why a medicine that tasted like mint was colored pink rather than green. I don't know the history on this, but I think Pepto Bismol is pink because the manufacturers felt that this softer color was more compatible with the image of the product as a helpful, soothing reliever of pain and discomfort. And given the popularity and success of Pepto Bismol, it isn't likely that Procter and Gamble will change the color to green anytime soon.  Pepto Bismol is a good product for relieving upset stomachs. It creates a protective coating around the wall of your stomach literally within seconds after swallowing. However, it is not as powerful as other stomach remedies and therefore it has limited use. It doesn't reduce acid like Pepcid AC and other medicines. I have found it helpful for eliminating a bad case of indigestion, like that which is caused by eating too fast and from eating on the run. But for the heavy- duty cases of stomach problems, like those caused by acid reflux and other diseases, Pepto Bismol has limited effects and it can sometimes take multiple doses to have the desired effect. I have to reach for the powerful medicine, in instances like that. This product tastes fairly good, even though it is a little thick and chalky and it often coats your mouth just as much as your stomach, requiring a good flush with water to remove the residue. Many people claim that they do not like the taste of Pepto Bismol, and I cannot completely understand why. I agree that the mint flavor is not as pleasant as a bowl of mint ice cream or a mint julep. But it could be much worse. Side effects of taking Pepto Bismol include a temporary darkening of the tongue or stool. I have to admit, I don't usually stare at my "stool" as it floats in the toilet so I have never noticed any black stuff there. But I have noticed it on my tongue. The black substance is bismuth sulfide and it forms when the bismuth in Pepto Bismol combines with sulfur from saliva. Because of my problems with sinuses (during the winter), I have a little larger than normal concentration of sulfur in my saliva, so it's not uncommon for me to experience this side effect after taking Pepto Bismol. However, this is a harmless occurrence, so there is no need to worry. It will be gone in a short time after usage ceases. **Bottom Line:**

Overall, Pepto Bismol is a pretty good product for relieving stomach pain and indigestion quickly. I like it better than some of the popular tablet forms of heartburn relief (like Rolaids, Tums, and even Pepto Bismol tablets), event though it is a little less convenient than these other products. I cannot comment on its effectiveness in relieving diarrhea, because I have never used it for that purpose. But it does do a good job at eliminating moderate cases of stomach discomfort and it starts relieving pain in seconds. Just a small dose is all it takes to feel instant relief.

Pink puke is not so special. Pepto Bismol does me way bad.

Pepto Bismol graces all the medicine cabinets in the family except for mine I'd guess. Grandma had Pepto Bismol. Mom had (and probably still has) Pepto Bismol. Everyone had Pepto Bismol when I was growing up, and it was the medicine of choice for stomach upsets.

Pepto Bismol is intended for minor stomach issues - like upset stomach and I think maybe diarrhea. It's a stomach "calmer," or that's what it's supposed to be. Think Tums or Rolaids. Same kind of thing but liquid - and very pink.

I don't know that there could be an allergy to Pepto Bismol. Probably not. But I must say I had some sort of aversion to it. Now, it wasn't the color. I do so adore "pink" (first round anyway). I think it's perhaps the texture. This is kind of like milk which I do not like and do not think should be something put in a glass and sucked down. Too thick. Gag on milk too - bad stuff in my book.

The only thing I can really attest to when it comes to Pepto Bismol is that when I was forced to take this stuff, it came up much faster and with much more force than when it went down very slowly and with great trepidation. If thick pink stuff looks kind of bad on a spoon, trust me it looks much worse all over the floor mixed with the food of the day.

This was an experiment tried multiple times over my youth. I even tried Pepto Bismol as an adult with the same results. I really tried. I got my mind set that it was all in my head about it making me throw up. I vowed to keep it down. It did not stay down.

If you have a strange little kid who throws up Pepto Bismol, give it up. It ain't happening. Do not give them this. Buy some other stomach soother. Otherwise, they will remember all the Pepto Bismol moments when you hope it will be the Kodak moments. OK. I remember the Kodak moments, but they were not the ones when I got Pepto Bismol.

This over the counter stomach medication is worth a try. I know lots of folks swear by it. I swear at it. Yuck. Yuck. Yuck. This is even worse than that red stuff they put on cuts that burned like the dickens. I've never, in my life, kept Pepto Bismol down more than a minute max. An upset stomach is bad. A Pepto puke is really the pitts. I won't do a photo for this one, because I do not ever take Pepto Bismol now, and I do not think anyone would really want to see that sight anyway.

Yuck!!! But it does work!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

There seems to be a lack of stomach medicines out there and this one seems to do the trick. I hate the taste of this product and for that reason alone I will not give it a ten. I feel like I'm gagging as I swallow it and it's worse because it coats your throat as it goes down. The taste is chalky and pepperminty. I don't even know how to explain it. It's gross! On the other hand I have to say that it does work to settle stomach problems and it does calm that area down. I will take it for that reason. Recently I switched to the pepto bismol chewable tablets and those aren't the best tasting either, but the taste doesn't stay in your mouth like the liquid and I like them much better. Some people don't mind the pepto bismol taste. I'm just not a fan at all.

It is effective in making an upset stomach feel better. It does work for that.

It is pretty easy to use. You just pour, measure and drink.

Immediacy
It works pretty quickly and that part I like.

It is very effective.

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Pepto-Bismol has been in my family for years. From when I was little, it has always been there to give relief to my stomach troubles. Everyone in my family uses it. I have recommended it to a lot of people I have met and they have thanked me for it. I like the cherry taste. It makes it easy to swallow. The most important thing is that it works. I will always recommend it to anyone with stomach problems.

There is no difficulty associated with using it.

Immediacy
Within few minutes of taking it you will feel relieved. It works immediately.

Dont Waste Your Time!

from Casselberry, FL

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Does not work for heartburn! I cant even judge on other symptoms Pepto Bismol...but for heartburn it is worthless! Tastes disgusting and does not work at all!

Does not work at all. Tastes disgusting

you just drink it, doesnt get easier than that i guess

Immediacy
doesnt work at all. and taste so gross

• Immediacy:

GET RID OF DIARRHEA QUICK!

from Union, IA

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

I am 46 years old and in the small number of times I have had diarrhea, the only answer to ending it quickly is PEPTO-BISMOL!! This is not exactly the best tasting stuff in the world---although it's not bad, mostly just a smooth pasty texture is the negative part of it, but if you have stomach cramps or diarrhea and want to feel better quick I recommend you have a bottle of this onhand all the time, because who wants to have to run out to the store when you're experiencing this kind of situation! It also comes in a chewable tablet for those that aren't able to handle medicine well!

Pepto Bismol Works Well

from Bolingbrook, IL

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Pepto bismol original works well to calm an upset stomach. There are so many times when you do not quite know what is the issue with your stomach and you know that it could be one of many things going on. We all have times when all we know is that we have an "upset stomach" and something is not quite right. Pepto bismol did a good job calming my stomach and helping me get back to status quo quickly. As a child, my mom would often have me take this. Whenever I would say "Mom, my stomach doesn't feel good", she would wait a little while and then if the problem persisted, she would give me some pepto bismol and I would inevitably feel better quickly. Although I haven't needed to take it in awhile, I know that it would work for me whenever those issues arise again.

Works, but you have to get past the taste

from West Hempstead, NY

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Pepto has been around forever. It is the leader in every stomach problem that you could ever have. You know why? Because it works! It is an good products. Immediately after swallowing the stuff you feel better. You feel like you were coated in a coat of awesomeness. The pain seems to disappear and you have this calm feeling. However, that all takes place if you can get past the taste. I HATE the taste of this product. I think it is supposed to be cherry or something, but whatever it is it is gross. It also has a very chalky after taste. If you can get past the taste though you are in business. if you really think about it, aren't all the best medicines gross tasting? Some of the worst medicine (Ludin's cough drops) are the best tasting. I guess that's just how it works.

Pepto Bismol Original Antidiarrheal, Upset Stomach Liquid 4 oz

from Denver, CO

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

**Pepto Bismol Original Antidiarrheal, Upset Stomach Liquid 4 oz is a great thing to have in the house. It helps an upset stomach, it helps the poops, it helps nausea. I enjoy this product very much. It helps any person really. ****
**Pepto Bismol Original Antidiarrheal, Upset Stomach Liquid 4 oz is a MUST have in the house. It helps when you have the flu or a cold, and you are very sick. It brings a little relief. The only problem with it is that you have to take a good bit of it just to make it work. But after you drink it you can just feel the soothing relief sliding down your throat,, which is a great feeling. Especially if you have HORRIBLE heartburn! It will cool and soothe it. SO GET THIS IF YOU DONT HAVE IT!**

Always gotta have Pepto in the cabinet!

from Hazel Crest, IL

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

I really like this product, i always make sure i have this is the cabinet at all times. I get bad heartburn from time to time and this cures it rigth away. Its very fast acting and you can feel it as your starting to feel better. Not only does it work for heartburn but it is also good for an upset stomach, its pretty much instant relief for me everytime i use this. One this that people might say it has a bad taste to it, and i did at first but after a few uses call me crazy but i actually got use to the taste and it really does not bother me at all, but i will say many other people might not have the same taste as me. But even saying that if you do think the taste is not that great its worth it because this product actually works. Highly Recommend!

Pepto Bismol Liquid works great for any kind of digestion issue

from Falls Of Rough, KY

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Bismuth liquid is a great product to keep around your house. If you have a stomach ache, diarrhea, heartburn, nausea, pretty much anything that has to dow ith your stomach or digestion, then this is something you can use that will work great. I'm not exactly sure how it works besides that it does something and coats your stomach. It actually tastes pretty good. I kind of like the taste of this stuff for some reason. Whenever my stomach is hurting or anything I just drink a little bit of this and it seems to help instantly, and if not instantly then within a few minutes. In my opinion it works better for heartburn than most of the stuff out there, but it isn't so expensive like most heartburn medicines. It is fairly cheap and it works for everyone no matter what the age.

Pepto Bismol Liquid is great!

from Austin, TX

Comments about Pepto-Bismol Regular Strength Liquid Antacid:

Pepto Bismol is great for anyone who has heartburn, nausea, diarrhea, or any kind of upset stomach no matter what age. Kids can take it, adults can take it, and it works for everyone equally. this stuff works so fast if you have any kind of stomach problem or digestion problem. It coats your stomach almost instantly and makes it feel better so quickly. It tastes pretty good to me, but I don't know about everyone else. You just drink a little of it and it coats your stomach and helps instantly. This is a really great medicine that I recommend everyone have in their house. It isn't near as expensive as some of the heartburn medicines out there or nausea medicines. I don't know if it's true but I've even heard about people giving it to their pets and saying it works for that too. So you can give it to anyone without harming them and it always works.