3.6

3.6

Pros

Cons

A real time saver!

The madolin is excellent. I've seen others go for far more money. It's well built and slices great. My only con with it is that it doesn't have a stand to hold it up while you slice, though I've seen the knew model and it does have a stand now.

The blades stay nice and sharp...I use it almost daily for slicing cucumbers (for tall things I recommend starting off without the guard until you can comfortably use it - just be careful because the blades are obviously sharp), onions, tomatoes, cheese, and more.

Not so Ultimate

My wife purchased the Ultimate Mandoline for me. I do a lot of cooking and this seemed like a good idea……until I used it. The system looks clean and appears to be easy to use. I first attempted to cut potatoes with it. We wound up having really awful looking slices. It continuously jammed up. The base moved al over the counter. I tried to use it over a bowl, which was useless.

Next I tried to cut firm tomatoes. What I got instead was tomato mush. Onions were next (I wanted this thing to work…..I did not want my wife to be disappointed with her purchase). Needless to say I have gone back to knife. The previous negative reviews are pretty much on the mark. I contacted the rep that we purchased it from and she contacted P.C. and told her to have us send it back for a refund. They said they were coming out with an improved version….I think I will pass on it.

Easy to use and easy to clean

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

This is my first mandoline, and boy did I like it!

The instructions included with the product are clear enough to operate the machinery, even if you are a newbie like me. Assembly was simple as well. I was afraid I would cut myself, since I am a bit clumsy. However, the product is well marked and safely designed. I could probably assemble this with my eyes closed. I like that there were multiple slice-options - crinkle cut, wavy, etc. It's nice that you have some creativity to make homemade crinkle cut veggies or whatever you desire.

As far as operation, the slicer does not catch or jam up. Sometimes, you have to shake off the previously sliced product from the bottom, but not usually. The hand protecting pick is a bit hard to maneuver for larger items, like potatoes, but it just takes a little moving around. The difficulty is not enough to render the product too hard.

Clean up is also easy. Food doesn't stick to the machine at all. The grooves cause minimal difficulty in cleaning, but I hate dishes to begin with.

Overall, a great mandoline for a beginner. Would definitely recommend!

mandoline-not that easy to use

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

I love the idea of having a mandoline; it's one of the tools that I thought I would use the most often from pampered chef. This mandoline comes with interechangable blades for cutting purposes: potatoes, meats, vegetables, etc. however, I have not been able to master how to quickly change the blades, and how to effectively use the blades to maximize cutting time and product. For me, by the time i get the blade correctly assembled, I then struggle to get the product on so that I am producing consistent cuts. I find that it is easier, far less time consuming to just use a knife. This is truly disappointing to me because I have seen this product modeled and watched chefs use one, and I feel the experience could be more positive. however, i have not enjoyed owning this product.

I find this product difficult to unasseemble. you have to be careful when removing the blades, and there is often food trapped in little crevices.

Best Potato Chip Cutter

from Bennington, VT

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

This is one of my many used kitchen item. I use this to make my kids home made potato chips. They love them. It slices nice and thin or if you want a thicker cut.

I throw it in the dishwasher!! Easy as that!

The Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline is a versatile gadget.

from Stewartstown, PA

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

The Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline is a versatile gadget that can slice, shred, and make French fries with the different blade attachments in a short amount of time. There is a protective food holder to protect your hand while you are slicing or shredding. With my old-fashoned 3 sided-grater, I used to accidentally grate a knuckle. It makes short work out of making scalloped potatoes, au gratin potatoes, French fries, and zucchini bread. Why bother making au gratin potaoes or sliced potatoes from a box when you can make them from scratch using this handy gadget. From scratch tastes so much better than from a box. The blade makes uniform slices much faster than using a knife.The possibilities are endless. Pampered Chef products might cost more, but they are quality, durable products. The shows are fun to attend so you can eat delicious food items prepared with the Pampered Chef products.

use it for everything from veggies to soap!

from Lafayette, IN

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

I received my Ultimate Mandolin from Pampered Chef as a Christmas gift a few years ago.  I didn't cook much at the time and wanted to learn.  The Ultimate Mandolin has been invaluable.  I have used it to slice apples for apple pie, veggies for salads, and even shredding soap to make home made laundry soap.  I couldn't do half of what I do in the kitchen without it.  With apple slicing I peeled, halved, and cored the apples then put them one half at a time into the holder side of the Ultimate Mandolin.  I was able to make crinkle or flat slices of apples in just a few minutes.  With veggies for salads I can slice cucumber and shred carrots with only a quick change of the blade.  THe only think I've had an issue with is that it's hard to take apart to clean.  THe time I shredded soap I thought it was all clean but found that it still had soap caked in the gripper/holder part of the Ultimate Mandolin.  I had to use a scrub brush to get it all out.  Otherwise, it's a slicing and grating dream.  It's uch nicer than scraping up my fingers on my old 'bell' grater.

The food holder part is not ideally sized/shaped for everything.

Not so Ultimate

from Slidell, LA

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

It's an expensive mistake!

from Ocala, FL

Pampered Chef Mandolin

This is the worst product I have ever bought in this price range. The adage "You get what you pay for" is not true here. I paid a high price for an item that just doesn't deliver. It does not slice onions, tomatoes, cucumbers, eggplant, cheese, lettuce or potatoes. It tears them into read-through, 1mm wide slivers that can't even qualify for sushi. I fed the shreds to my fish. It's clumsy, it's plastic, it's a waste of time and effort and money.

Useful but Pricey

from Shawnee, OK

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

My usual disclaimer: Yes, I sell Pampered Chef, but I sell it because I love it, rather than the other way around.

However, that said, the Mandolin is not actually one of my favorite pieces.  It could be because I rarely have the need for small slices and typically feel that the trouble in getting this piece out and ready (and then taking up the dishwasher space later) is not worth saving the time it would take to simply grab a knife (a piece of Pampered Chef Forged Cutlery, which I DO love) and going at it.

Pros:

The Mandolin comes with four blades (V-Blade, Straight Edge, Crinkle Cut or Grating Blade).  The blades are easy to interchange and are all machine washable.  The blades are also built in such a way that they are not exposed until you run the handle (with the food inside) over it, so there is no risk of getting too vigorous and slicing yourself in the process.  Safety is always wonderful.

- There are multiple positions for the Mandolin so you can place it over a bowl or stand it up.

Cons:

- When standing the mandolin up, there's no easy way to catch the food underneath.

- The place in which you store the food for slicing is too small for the onions I typically find.  I can rarely get nice rings because I have to cut the onions in quarters to fit it in.

- When approaching the end of the food which you're slicing, it all falls apart, rendering the last parts useless - pretty frustrating when trying to grate cheese.  At that point, I'd rather pull out the box grater - I'd rather risk my knuckles than deal with the Mandolin.

Overall, if you do a LOT of slicing, you might find this helpful (I know plenty of people who do), but if you don't find yourself doing a bunch of vegetable slicing in the first place, this won't get much use, making the price tough to justify.

This Pampered Chef Mandoline does almost everything

from Kennedy, NY

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

I bought my mandoline about two weeks ago and it does amazing cuts. The crinkle cut is perfect for making your own chips and it works great of zuchini too. I've also never seen tomatoes cut so easily and quickly. I'm a little edgy around knives so this product is perfect for me.

Mandolin still going strong 5 years later

from Colorado Springs, CO

Comments about Pampered Chef Ultimate Mandoline:

Our mandolin still works as good as it did when we bought it almost 5 years ago! The blades are still sharp and the parts all still work as good as they ever did. I love the attachments for various cuts, makes slicing much funner! The way it works to keep your hands away from the blade is wonderful, especially when grating. The stand being able to be adjusted to different levels is nice because you can use it over multiple surfaces...plate, bowl, etc. I also like that the carrying case for the blades attached directly to the mandolin for storage so that I dont have to worry about it getting lost under the ruckis of my cabinets. A few things that could be better however is the that the blades can sometimes be a little hard to get out. Also the first time I used it I remember it being a little difficult the get the pieces on in exactly the right way so that it would cut. I also wish that I could use larger pieces of food to slice at one time. If you use too big of a piece it isnt stable enough to cut correctly.