Other Baby Gates:

North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard

Pros

Cons

• Safety:

Don't listen to overemotional neighbors, safety first!!!

I am sure you will hear from neighbors and family (or you yourself think) that "cages are for birds and hamsters". Well first thing first: this is not a cage; this is a playyard and it is necessary for your kids' safety. You should be careful about how you introduce this product to your baby: there should be favorite toys in there at least in first few tries, you should take her/him immediately when she/he wants out and you should not keep your kid in this all the time (needless to say kids need space to play). If you use this product as you are supposed to (just to have your peace of mind while you are in restroom/bathroom or kitchen where you temporarily have no visual of your kid) it will definitely serve you and your child well. As a matter of fact, if you don't overuse it and just use it when necessary as described above, I am pretty sure your kid will want to go in it and play there himself/herself. That's what happened in our case. And if your kid likes the playyard but you think space is not enough anymore, extension (two more sides to the original hexagon) is available.

An alternative use may be protecting your precious indoor tree (or what have you) from those little fingers, why not...

And again, don't listen to/think about overemotional remarks about playyards being cages. It is for your child's safety and for your piece of mind, use it.

Useful, but bulky to store and not great quality

We purchased this playyard when our daughter was about a year old. We wanted to use it in our living room, to block off her access to our fireplace area. It was fairly easy to set up, but wasn't made of very strong plastic. Some of the panels were bent, and we had a hard time connecting them. When our daughter was older, and we wanted to store the playyard, it didn't disconnect easily, so to store it was a bit bulky. For the price, I expected a little higher quality.

The connecting pieces are fairly sturdy, but the panels are not great. Several were warped out of the box, and made it difficult to set up correctly.

This product was fairly easy to put together, though once it's together, we found it hard to disconnect.

Safety
Worked well for our purpose, which was to build it around a fireplace. We also used the playyard as a "yard" in the grass for our baby to play in. We were not able to use the playyard for very long, as our daughter was able to pull herself up on it and try and climb.

Excellent Play Yard

from Pensacola, FL

About Me Parent of Two or More Children

Pros

• Easy to Assemble
  • Easy to Clean
  • Sturdy Construction
  • Travels Well

Cons

• Bulky
  • Heavy

• Infants
  • Playtime

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

I used this with my 1st son and it was one of only about 10 items that I didn't re-sell. I still use this with my first son to keep him out of our kitchen area. I am so delighted that it has held up so well over 3 years so that I can use it with baby #2 (coming May 2015). The best feature is that sections can be added or removed in order to accommodate any room. It travels well but is kind of bulky and a little heavy. By the time my son was 1.5 he figured out how to stick his toes in the holes of the panels and climb out. I am really pleased with this purchase. I had another similar play yard by a different company and was happy to re-sell it and see it go. This particular play yard was just so helpful to me that I couldn't part with it. Since I have a larger living room area, I even purchased the extender.

It comes in handy!

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

We were given this as a gift and didn't think that we would use this much. I was wrong. I ended up watching multiple young toddlers in my home and this came in really handy. When some of them would take naps I would put them on mats and pillows inside of the gates. It allowed me to be able to focus on the other kids without having to check on them every five minutes. This was also great when my kids were babies and I needed to cook dinner. I would put them in it with toys and they stayed entertained. They were having fun while I got done what I needed to do. The other thing that this is good for is outdoors. It's great to be able to sit and relax for a short amount of time while they play with their toys in the grass or on towels. The gate stretched wider than I had thought it would. It's really easy to set up and take down. I like that it's plastic because you can store it in a garage and just wipe it down when you need it. They also used to sell extra pieces for the gate set in case you wanted to make it bigger. It's not really meant for older children. Just babies and toddlers. This lasted us for years and then when my kids grew older it was passed along to my inlaws when they bought a new puppy. It worked great for training a puppy to go on newspaper and sleep in one spot. It wasn't long until it was out of the gate and doing great. This was a handy gate to have on hand!

It held up really well and was pretty strong.

It was easy to put together and take down.

Safety
As long as the kids are younger it is safe. Older kids could lift this up or try to climb out.

No frills gate

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

This gate is a great product that is easy to use and doesn't fall over even when my little one pulls up on it. The padding on the bottom makes it no-skid, and it can be adjusted to fit most spaces. I do with it came in a plain white color, and it is also quite heavy to carry the entire set at once, however functionally it is works just fine.

So far the gates are holding up well even though they are a hand-me-down we received from a friend.

It is a little difficult to adjust the gate shape for the middle piece, but not terrible. The height is short enough for me to walk over (I'm 5'4), but tall enough that a toddler probably couldn't climb over unless very determined.

Safety
Our little one has pulled himself up using the gates many times, and it has never fallen over. The gates are very sturdy. I did worry about the possibility of his fingers getting caught somehow, but this has never been a problem.

• Safety:

When Your Hubby Heards Goats, This Is an Obvious Choice.

from Sonora, CA

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

Keeping my kids rounded up in one place is like trying to pour water through a sieve. It's frustrating and impossible. The North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard makes life so much easier. Especially for my family. Living on a farm, we're already pretty experienced at hearding animals into fenced yards. My husband is especially proficient at it. Our North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard allows us to apply our valuable goat handling skills to our children. Trust me when I say that once you've mastered babysitting goat kids, human kids are a breeze. Goats, for one, would never remain contained in a playard but the kids seem to think this thing has a magic forcefield or something. The gate opening is convenient for the hearing process too. Rounding them up just requires a small bribe. Once they're in the pen, enjoying their bribe/toy of choice, I'm free to watch from my nearby perch as I cook or clean. It's such a relief knowing the goats, oops I mean "kids", are safe.

Good idea

from Syracuse, New York

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

I purchased the North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard from Walmart. It helped a lot when my son was about 1 year old. It is very durable but made of some type of grey plastic. It snaps out and snaps back together when you are either trying to shape it or put it away. The snaps sound loud and at first I was worried that I had broken it. The area where it closes is very simple as well. The amount of room it gives for a child to play is quite sufficient. My son had room to roll his ball and do some other things as well. The best thing about the North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard is the safety it provides. I t gave me some peace of mind to know my son wasn't getting into any and everything. It is a really great product that helps keep the baby safe.

• Safety:

Great indoor and outdoor play yard for young children

from Greensburg, PA

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

I received this play yard and the accompanying extension pack in March 2012, just before my first child was born. We started using this as soon as our son learned out to crawl. We made a square out of the play yard, which is pretty easy to configure into any shape that you would like, and placed it in our living room. We basically would put a few toys inside that he didn't get to use all the time (so the novelty was still there) and would leave him in there for anything from five to thirty minutes to entertain himself while I/my husband cleaned, cooked dinner, etc. The play yard has held up to teeth as well as being shaken strongly (well, as strong as toddler can shake when frustrated!). It still looks brand new. I would definitely suggest the two panel extension if you have room for it in your home - it makes a big difference (18 square feet of space versus 34 square feet). I have struggled to get a panel to open up to use as a gate - which is probably my biggest complaint. However, I'm almost 5'9", so I usually just end up stepping over it to pick up my son. It also folds flat for storage - taking up about 16" linear inches of width, which is nice. We've never used it outside, but I will consider it this summer now that he is older. I would recommend this and purchase it again.

Useful, but bulky to store and not great quality

from Anderson, CA

• Safety:

Great for keeping kids and valuables safe!

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

I purchased this item before Christmas when my oldest started walking, and it has been aChrisas essential every year since. We put it around the tree to protect the ornaments and presents from little fingers. It has also been useful in keeping the kids corralled during garage sales, as well as large outdoor get togethers. The carrying strap it came with is great for traveling. This item has definitely been money well spent for my family.

Very handy and versatile

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

I've used this indoors and outdoors - added many panels depending on where I was using it. To mention places I've used it very effectively..... I use it to close off my bathroom - in that case I left it opened (My bathroom has divisions to it that do not have doors - I used it near one of those divisions). I've used it often in my driveway. I did this during a garage sale - it was low enough for people to step over it, but high enough that the kids couldn't get out. It also protected us from cars driving in to the driveway while the kids play there. In that case I used it wide open. I've also used it in the driveway closed so that the rest of the driveway could be used while one part was isolated for play. I've also used it around my computer desk and printer. It was very effective at keeping the kids out - while allowing me access that was pretty easy.

It can be difficult to add and remove panels

• Safety:

It worked great with both my children.

Comments about North States Superyard XT Gate Play Yard:

The first time I ever saw one of these, my first thought was "Oh, no! People are putting their babies in cages!" Then, when I had my own first child and he started getting into everything as soon as he could crawl, I reconsidered that opinion. I had to find a way to keep him safe yet allow him the space to play and exercise. We ordered this play yard and immediately put it right in the middle of our living room. My son loved it! He had plenty of room to move around, and the walls were sturdy enough that he could use them to pull himself up as he began to learn to stand and walk. It kept him safe and happy while I was busy doing housework, but it also contributed to many hours of happy together time also. We (grown-ups, that is) would either just climb right in there with him or sit on the outside and make him giggle by poking toys and our fingers through the holes in the play yard walls. It folds up and then is a cinch to transport, so we took it when we went traveling also. After my son outgrew the play yard, we briefly used it to form a barricade around the computer desk (to keep son out), and then we passed the play yard on to a family friend. We later bought another one when my daughter came along.

It's constructed well and is very sturdy. My son was always pretty rough on his toys and furniture, but this stayed in great shape the whole time we had it and then still helped take care of several more children in my friend's family.

This play yard is basically pretty easy to use, but I had some problems getting it folding into the exact right shape. I don't mind this, though, because if it folded and shifted easily, then it wouldn't be so safe. Also, the mechanism for "opening a door" for grown-ups to get in and out takes some elbow grease also, but we usually just stepped over the wall without any trouble.

Safety
Both my children stayed safe and happy in their "baby cage."