3.6
Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone

Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone

3.6

The Motorola Backflip is an excellent networking phone

The Motorola Backflip is an excellent networking phone, but that being said this isn't an iphone. It is meant to meet the demands of a customized networking experience. I will review it step...Read complete review

The Motorola Backflip is an excellent networking phone, but that being said this isn't an iphone. It is meant to meet the demands of a customized networking experience. I will review it step by step:

1. The phone itself: Not thin at all. Easily fits in your hand, but can be on the slightly bulky side for keeping in your pocket. There's an excellent reason for this: a "flip" out keypad which allows you full commuincation options outside of the touchscreen. The touchscreen is slick, but really needs a guard to keep it nice for a longer time. Ultimately the phone is slightly bulky but that misgiving is made up for in convenience.

2. Camera: Is gorgeous! In camera editing is limited so I recommend downloading the free photoshop express which will maximize on the gorgeous pictures this takes. It has 5 megapixels for clean, clear pictures. The photos can be easily shared from the pop up menu through a number of photo sharing sites as well as facebook. Upload times vary, but it's not usually more than a minute. Camera includes a flash which is a really nice feature. Additionally the camera is located on the flip part of the phone so to take a self photo is much easier.

3. Display screen: Is the size of the phone. Has five slide screens for complete customization as well as widget and rss aps availble through the shortcuts menu. Respond time can be a bit slow, and sometimes the aps will force close simply because this phone doesn't have the guts that an iphone has (can be fixed by buying a bigger memory card). The facebook ap is called "Happenings" and has a live feed on your home screen (which can be moved if so desired).

4. Wifi: This phone runs off the service provider but can also automatically detect wifi if set to it. The wifi connection has much quicker response times. Additionally the aps tend to run much quicker when in a wireless network vicinity.

Ultimately there is a lot more about this phone that makes it a really great choice for those with a networked need to be constantly connected. Runs mutliple aps at the same time. A great choice!

This phone would be totally awesome.... IF it worked.

This phone uses the Android OS, which, in my opinion, is the best OS out there.  There are more really good apps than for the others and they are easy to find and use. The phone has great color definition on the touchscreen and promises to be the one phone you'll use nonstop.

Which it would, if it worked.  After having the phone for only 1 week I was so frustrated with being unable to answer calls or send texts that I turned it in. Camera quality is wonderful on this phone, but I had a very hard time getting it to send texts with photos or without.  I always had to use the qwerty keyboard, because the touchscreen keyboard was very nonresponsive.

Another thing I noticed is that the "backflip" felt very flimsy.  I didn't have this phone long enough to know if it would hold up over the long term or not, but I strongly suspet that it wouldn't. I didn't want to turn the phone in because I loved the Android OS, but I had to... the best OS in the world isn't any good if the phone it is on doesn't work properly.

The phone I exchanged it for was the Palm Pre Plus and I am delighted with it. From the moment I picked it up out of the box it even felt like a higher quality phone, and everything on it has continued to work properly after weeks of heavy usage.  The Motorola Backflip looks nice and has Android, but don't waste your time.

Great Phone if you like a keyboard and touch screen.

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

Over all it is a very useful and durable phone. It is almost impossible to shatter or brake because it has such a thick liner around the screen. My one problem is the random shutting down and crashing. THis can happen when there is a overload of notifications and text messages.

Battery Life
I have gone for three days without charging

Display/Screen Quality
Very cool graphics and good durability

Call Quality
Good call quality but some dropped calls could be AT&T's fault

A little slow sometimes

Strong and has not broken after hundreds of hard drops. Keyboard is completely waterproof

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

The screen goes off too fast when you make phone calls.

from Fort Worth, TX

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

This phone replaced my Blackberry.  I wanted it to do three things:  make phone calls, give me access to my email, and allow me to send a few text messages each month.  The touch screen is a problem.  It appears slowly, and it fades to black too quickly during the call taking too long to repear if you need to enter numbers or if you need to end the call.  Its responses to the touch screen are erratic.  Sometimes, merely holding your finger close to the screen causes the phone to respond; other times, you can touch the screen multiple times, and nothing happens.  This difficulty is a major disappointment.  It is, after all, a phone, and all its other features are gravy.

Battery Life
Three batteries lasted less than 8 months each.

Call Quality
Erratic--frequently lost calls

Excellent--I dropped it at least once a week, had no protective cover, and it always worked.

Really don't care about what it looks like--just want it to work well.

• Battery Life:
  • Display/Screen Quality:
  • Call Quality:

Love the phone !!!!

from Springfield, MA

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

I bought this phone because i had a mytouch (has no keyboard) so its a great upgrade. this phone has a keyboard which i think is great and i love the way its positions its soo easy to open the phone. I havent had any problems with the phone and the screen is bright and its very easy to navigate. My three year old knows how to turn it on get to the android market and download. I have had other motorolla phones and i am overall pleased with every one ive had (with exception to the razor) im really rought on phone and i tend to drop them all the time and this one seems durable ive dropped it a number of times with no visible scratches or any broken screens or what not... i would advise anyone who wants a great android phone which is pretty good for the price ( i had to upgrade without a new contract) out of 5 stars this one would definately be rated around a 3.5 or 4. hope this was helpful

This phone would be totally awesome.... IF it worked.

from Moss Point, MS

backflip pain

from Venus, TX

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

My phone shuts down sometimes for whatever reason.  No water damage, had replaced through insurance due to loss of the first one.  Now, wish I had gone with a Blackberry.  Not toobig on the touchscreen keyboard keys are too close together for me.  Good quality pictures, videos, love the flash for camera and light for videos.  Love the qwerty keyboard as well.  Has five different screens to scroll through for apps and such.

I LOVE MY MOTOBLUR PHONE

from Oak Ridge, TN

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

I got my Motorola Motoblur 300 a few months ago because I didn't have a computer. I was able to do most things I needed to do email, facebook, internet browse, surveys. I got a computer just before Christmas and don't use my phone as often as before but it's nice to be able to facebook, email, and text when I am not home. And there a lot of game and other apps you can get for free, including anti-virus. I used it a lot while keeping my grand-daughters over Christmas break from school. I downloaded a lot of simple kid-friendly games and while one was on the computer the other played games on my Motorblur. If you haven't had a Smartphone before this is a good one to start with; it is not expensive (I got a reconditioned one free when I added a line to my account). The only drawback I have found is that I don't like to use it as a PHONE, outgoing calls are OK, but the touchscreen Slide to Answer is a pain an I haven't figured out how to change that. But both ATT and Motorola have been very supportive as I fumbled along learning and the built-in help is good too.

great phone

from Riverbank, CA

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

this phone is great the screen is so clear and so bright with colors its great to watch videos on. with its 5 mp cam on it shooting videos or takeing pics looks so great. the one thing i do not like about this phone is because the screen is not like most touch screens its heat sen so ifs your trying to use it outside and its pretty cold its a lil hard at times. the phone has a great speaker on it nice and lound and very clear. another thing i was let down on tho is the andriod market. its nothin like the apple apps for there iphone. some of the apps are very lame and most give no pics what so ever of the app. a lot of the apps are free tho. thing i like most about this phone tho is the texting. there are 2 ways to text with this phone. you may have it standing up and use the on screen keybored wich i like because i dont want to flip  open the phone for ever text i get. for those long text's or when your just texting none stop the phone flip open keyboreds gives great room to text and feels good. all in all its a great phone

The Back Flip is a joke!

from Attica, IN

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

I was really excited when this phone came out, but I was highly disappointed once I got it. I am on my third backflip and every one of them have power cycled, speakers stopped working, and sent texts to the wrong people. I love that it is a droid phone, but everythings sucks on it.

not great

from Devine, TX

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

i honestly am not pleased with the backflip. i have had to replace this phone twice so far and havent had it a year. i love the touchscreen technology. problem i have is that it tends to freeze up on me at times. i also have had a problem with it redialing a number and i havent touched it. i dont see the point of the keyboard in the back if its touchscreen. every time something goes wrong i have to call att and reset to factory losing alot of important things that i want to save. takes to long to turn on after it has been turned off. some applications dont respond well at all. battery doesnt last long enough

motorola backflip

from Chesapeake, OH

Comments about Motorola BACKFLIP Smartphone:

This review is on the motorola backflip. Over all it is a pretty nice phone. The only problems i have seen with it is that the touch screen is very very sensitive, and the keypad is offset a little bit so i accidentally hit the key next to the key i intend to hit. It took me a while to figure out how to save pictures from text messages and forward text messages. I feel this kind of stuff needs to be in the tutorial that comes on the phone. Other than that its a decent phone. Very easy to use otherwise.