Other Soil & Fertilizers:

Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food

Pros

Cons

There Comes A Point Where Survival Takes Priority

We have been gardening for about 18 years now.  My family eats primarily whole foods- vegetarian/vegan in most cases, and try to concentrate on raw foods as much as possible.  We do this primarily for health reasons, and have reaped tremendous benefits from it.Every year, we grow approximately 1/4 acre of garden space with everything from tomatoes, to greens, to beans, to potatoes, and anything else we are up to trying.  The few months in the summer time that we spent growing our food bolsters our health up to make it through the long often dark winters up here in the Northeastern US.  IT is essential that we have a garden that produces well for at least 3 months, weather permitting.  We basically survive off of our garden for the summer months and what we can store away for winter too.  The problem where we live is that often times we have dry summers.  This will leave our garden struggling because despite our mulching, watering, and constant care, we live on a hill where it is very windy, and our garden dries out.  Many times, the plant struggle so much that they do not produce much of anything certain years.We are very adamant about using organic fertilizers only most of the time, but I have found something that has completely changed our gardening for the last few years- MIRACLE GRO SHAKE N FEED CONTINOUS RELEASE ALL PURPOSE PLANT FOOD.HOW DOES THIS PLANT FOOD WORK FOR ME?Although this is not organic, I have found a use for it that has really helped our gardening experience.  When I plant the little plants in the hole, I usually plant a pile of composted seaweed in the hole and along with that, a quick shake of the Miracle Gro Shake N Feed in along with it.  I mix it in well with the planting base and then plant my plant.Beyond that, I mulch with seaweed and organic 5-10-5 fertilizer once during the growing season.  WHAT IS THIS PLANT FOOD LIKE?MIRACLE GRO SHAKE N FEED is in a jug similar to what you get laundry detergent in.  It has a top with a flip up spout on it and that is covered by a clear plastic lid that snaps on and off.  When you open the spout, an assortment of little round green pellets come out- about the size of puffed millet if you have ever seen that.  The traditional usage is that you place around the plants in the dirt and the food will release over a three month period.HOW DOES IT PERFORM IN MY GARDEN?For the first time ever, our plants have been so healthy and vibrant that they will hang on very well through drought and difficult weather.  They will grow up so strong in the first month that the leaves cover the ground quickly leaving little room for weeds to take over.Also, they maintain a strong growth pattern so that they do not dwindle away in the late summer when it is essential to keep growing to produce fruit.We have lost few plants with this new method.HOW DOES THE HARVEST TASTE?Because we use so little of this plant food, we get the primary feedings from the organic fertilizers and seaweed that we use to plant and mulch with.  The fruit and produce is delightfully flavorful and sweet.  Harvests incresed greatly too.I was very hesitant to break our organic only rule, but I feel that the little bit that we use for this is a good compromise.  After all, you can not eat anything from a plant that does not produce at all, so this is a good combination for us.OTHER USES?I have also seen remarkable results with my flower boxes- they remain strong through the entire summer, and even last through a few frosts before they die.  I had a lemon verbena grow up to 4 ft tall last year- the first time ever.  In the past, I was lucky to see it reach 1 1/4 ft tall.I have also seen great results with house plants as well.  Very little is needed- just about 20 granules or so per pot- depending upon size. This plant food really does last 3 months.MORE INFORMATIONwww.miraclegro.comORhttp://www.scotts.com/smg/home/home.jsp

ADDENDUM

Last year my plants stayed bushy and healthy through a few frosts and right up until late October - early November.  This spring, I have tried a new plant that I never had any luck with- Martha Washington Geraniums.  I used to buy them all pretty in the nursery and then after a month at home, the leaves turned light green, the flowers got sparse and the plant looked horrid.

I have talked to many others with similar problems.  This year I planted them again with Miracle Grow pellets and Moisture control soil and the results are much different.  After being in the large patio pot for well over a month, they have lasted through very cold weather and look delightfully full and brilliant.  This stuff is amazing!  A complete difference.

I am using their organic fertilizer this year on our patio vegetables with organic soil only so I plan to report on that this summer.  The flowers, however are doing beautifully all over the porch.  I am completely thrilled.

Not too sure what to think

I keep flowers outside and inside my home.  To make things a little easier, i bought the miracle grow plant food that comes int he seperate packets.  All you have to do is pour it in your watering can and water you plants.  I'm not a genuis when it comes to plants....(but i'm not a complete dumb butt either) so I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or if i just wasted  my money.  None the less, i probably won't spend money on it again.  I think my watering can is a quart. So I mix in half the packet at a time and dump the whole can on one hanging plant basket.  Well....the results? Um. I think it actually stunted the growth of the plant...it certainly doesn't look any healthier.  I always see the commercials and the miracle grow plants look huge and happy and healthy.  Mine aren't like that and i'm dissapointed and a little sad.  I stopped using the fertilizer/food and now it seems the flowers are doing fantastic.

Makes for Spectacular Gardens!

from Blackwell, OK

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

My mother used Scott's Miracle Gro as I was growing up, which always seemed to help give her large beautiful flowers. When I decided to start a garden a few years ago, for health reasons, it didn't produce many vegetables. So this last year I have used Scott's Miracle Gro Plant Food on all of my outside flower gardens and vegetable gardens. I even started using it on my plants inside the home. This plant food really helps your plants grow larger, and even my flower garden looked stunning this year.
The amount of vegetables and fruits my garden had was truly astounding. It made a big difference in the amount I had from the previous year. Plus. my vegetables were larger and looked healthier. For example, just the tomatoes I grew were about as large as a baseball. Also, since this plant food is a natural plant based formula, you don't have to worry about putting chemicals in your body. I highly recommend it to anyone that wants more vegetables out of their garden, or just healthier looking flowers.

Miracle Grow revives and boosts most plants!

from East Stroudsburg, PA

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

Always so reliable, Miracle-Gro is a gardeners best friend.  Houseplants also benefit.  When you want the plant to flower, give it a drink or two and step back and witness the improvements! Use it faithfully all summer long and extend the vibrance of your garden.

Green Thumb

from Belfry, KY

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

This product is super, this is my first time ever growing plants this year and I couldn't be more happier with the results,it exceeds my expectations of a product. I went from starting out with two tiny plants and now i have a jungle growing in my house of a family of 16 different types and species of plants,  I just love this hobby!!! Thank U Miracle Grow for making me have a green thumb that I never even knew I had.

It saved my plants during a long move

from Junction City, OR

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

I live in Florida, not much can grow down here without the aid of a Miracle. The sandy soil can be a real trick for a gardner. I use Miracle Grow liquid for everything and mix it in with compost, Miracle Grow soil and the sandy soil, in my yard for all my gardening. It's helped all my bushes, flowers and plants be strong, healthy and green. It works very well.

My plants have new life.

from Sioux Falls, SD

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

My husband works at a greenhouse and his fellow workers were always giving him a hard time because our yard looked like an ad for the flower graveyard.  I could not get anything to grow.  I finally asked him what they used at the greenhouse.  He said the had special water but that they also used Miracle grow.  So I thought I would try Miracle grow.  Within two weeks my plants where looking much better.  Within a month my yard looked fabulous!

They sure gave it the right name.

from Belfry, KY

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

I absolutely love miracle grow and would highly recommend their products to any flower lover or gardener, it works even better than they advertise it for, I had never grown plants or flowers in my life until this year and I have grown most of the ones I have from scratch and they have turned out beautifully. Thank you so much for making this product! It has turned me into have a natural green thumb!

Excellent for soils that are starting out.

from Tom Bean, Texas

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

We decided this year to turn under about 1/2 acre of our pasture for the benefits of a larger garden and when we tilled it under, we discovered really beautiful and dark soil but were leary of it's nutrional content since all that has ever grown there is Johnson grass and other spring and summertime weeds. After careful digging, tilling and deweeding, I planted, with great pride, my cucumbers, squash, strawberries, tomatoes and carrots. I watched, watered and weeded them for at least two weeks and they were not getting any taller but were not dying so I started reading that the soil may be deficient and decided to hit it with Miracle Gro.

I did just that and then stood back to watch a bit longer and began to notice a height increase, small buds developing and even some fruit on the pepper plants. I am about to give them another watering with this product since it has been three weeks now and watch them take flight. I have been very happy with the results and the balance of nutrients that have been given to this soil.

At the end of growing season, I will hit the dirst hard with an advanced fertilizer like my neighbors cow patties but for the moment, Miracle=Gro has really helped my garden grow.

Sandy

It's A Miracle With Miracle Grow

from Rocky Mount, NC

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

My plants take off with Miracle grow. For house plants a little bit of Miracle Grow goes a long way. Only 1/2 teaspoon of liquid Miracle Grow added to two quarts of water is all you need. You pour the prepared mixture into a watering can and then water your plants with this mixture every two weeks for best results.It is not recommended to

It is simply amazing what Miracle Grow does for my house plants and it can be used for outdoor plants also. The plants grow faster and fuller.The leaves are greenier and the blooms are more plentiful. I know it sounds liuke I am a Miracle Grow Sales Person,but I am not. I would just like for your plants to look as beautiful as mine do.

Miracle Grow not only comes in this liquid form. Miracle grow comes in other forms also. I personally prefer this liquid. It seems to be a quicker and easier way to use it. Foiliar (leaf) feeding is not recommended for house plants. It is best to feed the soil only.

Gotta get Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food

from Blacksburg, VA

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

This stuff works wonders.  My dad has been using it ever since I was little.  I can't say I've used it personally, but every result I've seen from my dad has been amazon.

Seems pretty simple to use.  Just buy some and place it on the plants that you need to get more nutrients.  Can't get any easier that that.

Miracle-Gro is also a pretty recognizable brand new.  It has a lot of backing, so you know it's a quality product.  No need to worry that you may be buying a cheaper product that doesn't work as advertised.

Not sure what more else there is to say about this product.  It pretty much does what the name says, and that's it.  If you're looking for something else, then you might want to be buying a different product.

So if you're you've got plants that you want to get an extra boost (like humans would from vitamins) then be sure to go to your local hardware store and pick up some of this stuff.  Your plants will thank you for it later with their beauty!

Miracle Gro is great for growing the best vegetables & flowers.

from Harrogate, TN

Comments about Miracle-Gro All Purpose Plant Food:

My husband and I started using Miracle Gro when we lived in a trailer park and only had gravel to plant in. We were able to grow tomatoes the size of dessert saucers. that was enough to convince us. We've since used it in every garden we've ever planted. I use it in my house plants as well. I put it down when I plant seed to make sure they get a good start and then every seven days after they sprout. I have even gone out just before a thunder storm and sprinkled it in my flower beds to make sure it gets disolved and spread out completely.

This year we've used Miracle Gro in the 6 pk containers. It is enough to cover our vegetable garden twice. We have had a lot of rain and it makes it easy to target where you put it, so you aren't fertilizing the weeds too. Our tomatoes are so loaded they're falling down, the corn has beautiful full golden ears, I actually got bell peppers big enough to stuff.

We even experimented with using wood chips to grow carrots, parsnips, onions and potatoes. The only nutrition they got was from Miracle Gro and they are doing very well.