4.8

Melissa & Doug Toys

4.8

Pros

Cons

Melissa & Doug Really Stand Behind Their Quality Products!

This kind of commitment to quality is virtually unheard of in our "throw-away" society, where most toys are made of plastic by machines. These toys are handmade of wood--really!
Read complete review

Since old-fashioned toys are my chosen theme for my "baby's room" (he's almost 2, now, but he'll always be my baby!), Melissa & Doug toys look great sitting out. (I have the noisy, mind-numbing plastic toys in a toy bin he can't open, and we take them out only on occasion. He's seriously content, most of the time, to use his imagination by playing with wooden puzzles, blocks, books, and such, which makes this teacher-mommy very proud!

Even toys with several pieces don't have pieces too small that they're dangerous for my baby to share with his little brother. (Sometimes they are hard to keep together, though. Not sure how that could be helped.)

I just counted, and in all we have 6 Melissa & Doug toys, so far. (I'll be reviewing them, individually, soon.)

In addition to the quality I've come to expect from this toy company is their excellent customer service. My son received a toy made by them for Christmas from some relatives, and no gift receipt was included. The first time out of the package, one wooden part cracked. I had set it aside, for safety's sake, and two months later, I went ahead and called the company. My call was answered by a HUMAN BEING almost immediately, and the person with whom I spoke was kind, patient, and understanding. I just received my replacement toy today, with a fun letter and instructions on packing up the damaged toy for UPS pick-up. I am impressed!

Not a fan of Melissa & Doug

I want to like Melissa and Doug toys. I really do. I am a big fan of low-tech, simpler, open-ended and educational toys. I love wooden toys. But for the most part I am not a fan of Melissa and Doug toys. They are not very well made, and I think that quality is more important than price. They are inexpensive, but in the end you get what you pay for. They are made in China and it shows.

We have had several toys from Melissa and Doug and most of them had paint chipping off within a few weeks of purchasing them. I am not okay with my babies and toddlers playing with toys with chipped paint! My children received the big wooden folding castle, and while it looked great, we ended up being so disappointed with the quality. Wood was actually splintering off! It was poorly designed, as well. There was not enough room to maneuver figures in the castle. We also had a shape sorter, and the paint was coming off of the blocks. We had a pull-along hippo, and the paint was coming off. Another toy, the glue wouldn't hold. And so on and so forth. Spend a little more and get a quality toy that will last.

My absolute favorite brand

from Atlanta, GA

About Me Education Oriented, Parent Of Multiples (Twins etc), Parent Of Two Or More Children, Working Parent

Pros

• Durable
  • Easy to Use
  • Engaging
  • Good Sound Quality
  • irresistible
  • Lasting Fun

Cons

• very expensive

• All Ages
  • Perfect for teaching
  • Special Needs
  • Young Children

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

I have 12 sets of Melissa and Doug which I have purchased for my kids. I have also used them in my classroom to teach food (Pizza Set, Sandwich set, felt pizza set and felt sandwich set), the birthday cake (to teach months of the year and celebrate birthdays), the sticker faces for my bilingual Spanish lessons on body parts, and I also have literally all of their drawing books. I cannot say enough how awesome this brand is. It is costly, but worth everything.

• Was this a gift?:

Biggest Fan Of Melissa & Doug!!

from Dover, PA

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

Out of all the toy brands out there [and there is quite a few], I have to say Melissa & Doug is one [if not] my favorite!! Their toys are so unique, handmade, and tons of fun! My 3 year old loves every toy he has ever gotten in their brand! They make so much stuff including puzzles, arts & crafts, food play, stuffed animals, and much more! They are very durable and so colorful! Would recommend this brand to anyone!

Variety, quality and consistent pricing

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

I love getting Melissa and Doug products for my kids. They have such a great variety. I love that they have specific boy and girl designs as well as unisex themes. My kids love the puzzles the most. It keeps them busy and away from the tv and video games. I like that Melissa and Doug products are priced the same online and in stores. A lot of locally owned shops around me sell Melissa and Doug. The prices are the same as Amazon. It's nice to support the local businesses and still get the best deal.

Educational and sturdy!

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

I highly prefer Melissa and Doug toys to all others. They are educational and sturdier than most others.
I have found them to be a bit more expensive than the general toy brands, but they are worth it because they last. They also seem to have constant great sales on their toys, making them actually cheaper than most while on sale.
They have toys for children of all ages and genders, most of which are made for either gender and a large age range.
A good portion of their toys are wooden, which is unique. Unlike plastic, they do not break and will not warp in the sun or fade.
Their art supplies are top notch, too. If their toys aren't educational, a lot of them are art supplies. I prefer their crayons to others. They have a good variety for each age group. For example, for my 3 year old, I ordered the triangle shaped crayons. To make it even more fun, they came in a truck-shaped carrying case.
You get more ''bang for your buck'' with these toys and they will last to pass from child to child.

High Quality Company

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

I have love Melissa and Doug products since before I was a parent. As a nanny and then an elementary teacher I saw first hand the high quality and educational nature of all of their products. I had purchased a puzzle as a gift for a child I nannied, and the pieces were a bit warped. This was very frustrating and I called the company about it. They were awesome! Sent me a new puzzle right away. I was so impressed with their customer service then I knew I would be a customer for life. Now as a mom I look for Melissa and Doug products first, this year I purchased the princess castle for my girls for Christmas, it entertained both my girls and my 3 nephews for 3 days through a flu, and has continued to be a favorite for them since, we bought the dolls to go with it, but other dolls they had work as well. For my baby I bought the little worm toy, it is now a favorite of his, and we are having fun seeing what shapes we can make with it. I love that the toys are wood, and real, that is what my husband appreciates most about them as well. Cannot say enough good things about this company.

great old fashioned toys!

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

I like melissa and doug because they keep it simple. with all the technology of today it's good to take a step back and play with something that doesn't involve a computer chip or touch screen. I think the Pound and roll is my son's favorite... he's playing with it right now! Also, the stacking shapes train is great! He learns shapes, colors, and problem solving with these toys. the only toy i got that i'm not 100% excited about is the sound puzzle... it's pretty cool but if my son puts the wrong piece on the puzzle it still plays the sound... or if anything touches the little dot on the puzzle it plays the sound... i wish it only played the sound if the right piece got put in the puzzle cause it's a little confusing to see a motorcycle making a siren sound... not a huge deal though, i might remove the batteries anyway because it will randomly make a noise and I'm getting tired of it.

My kids have loved all their Melissa & Doug toys!

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

The products that we have purchased from Melissa & Doug Toys have consistently exceeded both my expectations and my kids' expectations. They are sturdy and well-made, often from wood, and they tend to include a handy wooden storage case. Melissa & Doug toys encourage creative and imaginative play, and the educational value far surpasses that of many of the more well-known brands. Many of the other companies offer gimmicky products with pushy advertising and questionable value in terms of helping my kids learn and grow. Plus, there are often tons of other products that go along with the set but have to be bought separately (think of all that expensive Little People stuff from Fisher-Price). The Melissa & Doug products we've bought are straightforward and well-thought-out, and we don't have to put a huge investment into accompanying products. Often, when my kids see a toy and insist that they MUST have it, they end up shoving it on a shelf and forgetting about it, but Melissa & Doug toys never get shoved somewhere and forgotten.

Great quality and made in the USA

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

Melissa and Doug toys are all of good quality and educational value. They usually come in nice wood boxes, though not usually with a lid. Being made in the USA, I don't worry about lead in the paint or pieces. We have many of their puzzles, magnet sets, and other toys for our two year old son, and look forward to many more in years to come.

Two happy kids and two happy parents

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

We have two small children in our house. They've both received a variety of Melissa and Doug toys, including blocks, a stuffed dog, and puzzles. Melissa and Doug toys are some of my favorites to browse for birthdays and Christmas. All are sturdy, colorful, and great basic toys for lots of imagination. The puzzle pieces are big and chunky, so they get used as figures on their own. We're definitely happy with these. Best of all-no batteries or sound effects!

Melissa and Doug toys rock!

Comments about Melissa & Doug Toys:

The only thing I don't love about these products is they all were previously made in the United States and now many are made in China. The quality is excellent and durable. The toys are very educational. Our favorite Melissa and Doug toy is either the numerous puzzles we own from them, the Teddy Bear match-up, or the pound a ball tower. I also like that they don't use plastic in any of their toys. We have been Melissa and Doug fans for a long time!