3.8
MER6765BAW
Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range

Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range

3.8

I love this range - only wish I could clean inside the doors!

I bought this range about 2 1/2 years ago.  I absolutely love it.  The double oven is just wonderful.  I usually use the small oven on top unless I'm baking or roasting something large.  The small oven heats up so quickly compared to a regular size oven and it's at a very convenient height for sliding food in and out.  At first I was worried that I wouldn't be able to fit a casserole dish in there but I can with no problem.  The smooth cooktop is also great.  It's so much easier to keep clean than a traditional cook top.  The burners heat up very very quickly - almost as quickly as a gas stove top.  Of course, it isn't quite as responsive as gas because the ceramic top holds the heat for a long time when an element is turned off.

My only complaints about this range are about the electronic controls and the inability to clean inside the doors.  First of all, it beeps every time you press any button.  If you are adjusting the oven temperature, it changes in 5 degree increments, so if you are going from 350 (where it always starts) to 400, you have to push it 10 times and you'll get 10 loud beeps.  Same for setting the timer, but that beeps for every minute, so you'll get 20 beeps to get to 20 minutes.  If you hold down the timer adjustment button, it will stop beeping and scroll through the numbers quickly.  This would be great except that the numbers fly by WAY TOO QUICKLY.  You'll be at 12 hours before you know it!  I sure wish I could turn off the beeping sound.

The doors have vents in the front of them, allowing drips and dust - in our case dog fur! - to get in between the front panel/window and the inside windows.  It looks horrible and I don't know of any way to clean in there.  I can spend all kinds of time and energy cleaning the kitchen and then look over and see grease drips, dust, and fur stuck behind the outer windows.  Disgusting.  I'm hoping I can figure out a way to take the doors apart without breaking anything.

Burners too small and too powerful!

We purchased the Maytag Gemini 2.5 years ago.  I wanted the dual ovens and 5 burners.  HOWEVER, we've been having problems with the stove's "Sabbith" mode, which effectively shuts down the ovens and timers.  We were completely freaked out when it started saying "Sabbith" and bleaping and blinking!  Aside from that, the burner area is too small to use the middle burner and the outer burners at the same time, and none of the burners turn down low enough for a true simmer.  The upper oven's heating element is too close to the shelf and other than keeping things warm, we can't use it as it burns anything you try to cook.  I wish we had picked a different stove!!!  Oh, and I got a black one, which was another HUGE mistake as it always looks dirty, no matter how much I scrub!!

A decent range most will like

from Tallahassee, FL

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

The Maytag Gemini electric range is a good alternative for anybody that doesn't want the hassle of a propane range. The range has two different sections that you can use to bake at two separate temperatures than each other. The only thing that kind of bothers me about the range is that the bottom oven is the largest so if that's the one you use the most then you'll be bending over allot which might bother some people. The oven pre-heat fast so you don't have to waste allot of time waiting for them to reach the right temperature. It looks like a expensive range for a fraction of the cost and its self cleaning which works pretty good. The range hasn't failed me yet and I'm very happy that I purchased it when I did.

Just a great all around range!!

from Twelve Mile, IN

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

When it was time to replace our old range I was definately looking for an oven where I could cook different foods at different temperatures, but at the same time. We have a rather large family and they seem to gather at our home, so what a nice feature. The amount of energy used is very small compared to my last regular oven. I love how quick it preheats too. The lower oven is a bit lower to the floor than a regular oven would be, but it does not really bother me. The only other con is that the small oven is not near as large as a regular oven, but so far I plan out what I am baking and it has always worked out for me. The cooktop also is a fine quality and does a very good job. It cleans up like a dream too. I just love it.

Outstanding Dual Oven!!!

from Strasburg, CO

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

I don't know why people think this oven is not great it has dual Ovens!!! I love the idea of having two ovens in one and a stove on top. This allows for such great space efficiency. My kitchen won't be too crowded and I can have more counter top space!! With dual ovens I can cook more in the same amount of time. I can also cook larger food like a turkey cause the bottom oven is much larger and the top oven can be used to bake or cook smaller food items. The top oven is shorter so it's great for baking pie, cookies, and other desserts where the bottom can be used for main meat dishes. The only downside people might say is that it is electric power stove and not gas. Electric powered might be slower and not heat up as fast.

Maytag Gemini is great option for double oven in single space

from Lees Summit, MO

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

My kitchen is not as big as I would like, but I have always wanted a double oven. When I heard about this oven, it seemed like the perfect idea. All in all, it has worked wonderfully for us. This choice has two REAL ovens, that can bake, broil, warm, etc. The top oven is great because it preheats much faster than most normal ovens, and you can cook two different things on two differents temperatures at the same time when you use both ovens. The only issues that I have had are that sometimes the top oven cooks faster at the back than the front, but I usually just turn the pan, and that it eliminates any storage drawer that you might get with a regular oven. Both things have not been a deal breaker for us, and the benefit of having two ovens outweighs any small issues we have had.

nice but i prefer gas ranges

from Unity, ME

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

This is well made and sleek looking, but i just want to go back to my gas range. Electric just does not cook as well. I really miss my gas stove. THe heat is much more even and it doesn't stink to high hgeavens when I turn it on. If you really enejoy cooking, then go with gas, if you don't cook all that much, go with electric. It's all about preference. I will love to replace this with a gas range when it breaks, but unfortunately I'm stuck with it until then unless I win the loterry. Oh well, I guess so. But anyway, it does bake well, and it is super sleek looking, definitely keeping up with the jones' with this appliance, and that is high on my list of what is important in life, andthat's why i got this in the furst place, because my neighbors who are rich had one, and i wanted to show them that i have money too, except i put it on my credit card, i'm going to check the receipt and see if i can return it and see if the person i sold my gas range to will let me buy it back or barter.

This range is awesome!

from Novinger, MO

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

I have had this oven for a couple of years now and love it.  I got it for the double oven feature which works well and you can cook smaller things in the smaller oven and save electricity.  I love my glass top on it also which I found out is easy to replace if you break it!!

Maytag Gemini Double Oven is Great !

from Mequon, WI

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

I purchased this double oven in April. Having two ovens is wonderful, I mainly use the top oven, it preheats REALLY fast and saves energy. As others have said, it does not fit any type of tall baking dish, or ones with lids, but for just making a pizza it is perfect. The top oven only fits one rack also.  I had to play around with the racks in the bottom oven to find out the best placement for baking cookies, but after I figured that out it baked perfect.  There is only one timer for both ovens, so when you need to use both ovens and have different cooking times, I have to use a separate timer. When the timer goes off, it only buzzes once, it does not continue to buzz,  so if you are not in the area, you might not hear it. I purchased mine in black, I love the smooth top. It does not show the dirt as much, but I find it easy to clean up when there are spills. It does not have separate oven lights, so when you turn on the oven light, they both go on.

Maytag Gemini Review

from Harris, MN

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

I bought this when we were remodeling our kitchen; mine is gas (propane) and stainless steel. I do wish the burners were more even as I cannot put a griddle on them. I like the two ovens and bought this range because there are two of us in the home and did not always need a large oven. I bake in the lower one and broil in the upper one. This Thanksgiving, I used both ovens for cooking the meal. The top oven has a keep warm temperature when I really like for keeping food warm or slowly reheating something. The lower oven has the lowest rack on wheels so easier to pull out.The cleaning process works good except for the glass doors and  they do not get clean.

annoying and wonderful all in one

from Elk River, MN

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

I do like this oven overall, but there are quite a few annoyances with it too.  I love the glass cooktop for cooking and the convenience of the double oven.  The small oven heats up so quick there really isn't a need to preheat at all.  I mostly use the top oven, but when I need the bottom one it is a bit awkward bending all the way down to the floor to get things in and out.  Also, I have had problems with my one year old opening the door since the handle is right at his height.  One more problem with the double oven is that we were used to hanging our towel from the oven door handle and that cant be done on the top handle unless you are careful that it doesn't end up getting shut into the bottom oven.  I've had several things burn in the top oven too, which has never happened to me in any other stove.  The heating element is just too close for some items.  Also, when resetting the timer I always have to check to make sure it doesn't reset the temperature.  There has been a few times where I've tried to add 5 minutes to my brownies only to have accidently reset the temperature to 500 degrees because it changes the wrong one.  These are all just small annoyances that add up.  So far I am not willing to give up my double oven because of them though.

Maytag Gemini Electric Range is convenient

from Union City, CA

Comments about Maytag Gemini Freestanding Electric Double Oven Range:

We bought our Maytag Gemini double oven Electric Range when we remodeled our kitchen five years ago.  One of the main reasons we purchased it was because we didn't have much counter space and didn't want to buy a whole bunch of little appliances like a toaster or toaster oven cluttering up the counters.  We use the smaller oven at the top like a toaster oven and even make our toast in there.  The smaller over also heats up in half the time which makes it convenient when you just want to make something small like a pizza.  The double ovens also come in handy when we have large family get togethers for cooking multiple things at the same time at different temperatures.  It has a glass cooktop that is flat and there are four burners.  There is even a little red light alerting you to when the surface is hot.  The burner controls are located at the top of the oven which takes a little getting used to but is great if you have small children like I do so that they cannot reach them.  Overall a great range and I would recommend it.