3.8

Lyrica Prescription Medicine

3.8

Pros

Cons

Great non-narcotic pain relief.

Lyrica is a great pain medication for fibromyalgia. I have used Lyrica since December of 2007 and I have found that it helps me out with a lot of my nerve pain associated with diabetes's. I also take Lyrica for seizures and since being on Lyrica my seizures have subsided completely. I did notice a little water fluid build up in my feet and hands when I first started taking Lyrica, but your doctor can put you on a fluid pill to help with this or your doctor my decrease your dosage. For those people that really don't understand what Fibromyalgia is, I can explain it medically which I will do later but let me put it in layman's terms. Fibromyalgia is just a word associated with pain. Doctors will call your condition Fibromyalgia if you have pain and they don't know whats causing it and why you are having pain. Basically if a doctor says you have Fibromyalgia then they probably don't know why you are in pain and what is causing your pain. Now onto the medical definition of Fibromyalgia. Fibromyalgia is widespread pain in the muscles and soft tissues above and below the waist and on both sides of the body. On June 21, 2007; Lyrica (Preglabin) was approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for the treatment of fibromyalgia. Previously Preglabin was prescribed for the treatment of neuropathic pain associated with diabetic peripheral neropathy and post-herpetic neuralgia's and as an additional therapy for adults with partial onset seizures. According to the American College of Rheumatology, fibromyalgia affects between 2 to 4 percent of the population. Lyrica is an anti-epileptic drug, also called an anticonvulsant. It works by slowing down impulses in the brain that causes seizures. Lyrica also affects chemicals in the brain that send pain signals across the nervous system. While taking Lyrica you may have thoughts of suicide. You need to have regular check-ups with your doctor. You should call your doctor right away if you have any new symptoms or symptoms begin to worsen such as:

- mood or behavioral changes

- depression

- anxiety

- or if you feel agitated

- hostile

- restless

- hyperactive (physical or mental)

- or have thoughts about suicide or hurting yourself or others

If taking Lyrica for seizures you should keep taking this medication even if you feel fine. Stopping Lyrica abruptly may cause an increase in seizure activity. Stopping Lyrica abruptly without your doctors consent may cause withdrawals. Symptoms of withdrawals can include:

- headache

- sleep problems

- nausea

- diarreah

You should carry around a medical ID bracelet or ID card stating you are taking Lyrica in-case of an emergency.

Some of the side effects that I have experienced since being on Lyrica is:

- fatigue

- blurred vision

- sudden convulsions (little jerks of the hand or leg)

- dry mouth

- impaired speach

- weight gain due to fluid build-up in the body

- impaired reaction time

- dizziness

- an increase in my appetite

- loss of balance (coordination)

- problems concentrating

- some joint and muscle pain

Though I did have these side effects I have continued taking Lyrica and most if not all of these side effects have subsided.

Get emergency medical help if you any of these signs of an allergic reaction:

- hives

- impaired breathing

- swelling of

- your face

- lips

- tongue

- or throat

Contact your doctor if you have any of these serious side effects

- muscle pain

- weakness

- or tenderness (especially if you have a fever or have had a fever and feel tired)

*While taking Lyrica you should avoid alcohol. Alcohol can increase the side effects of Lyrica.*

Lyrica can cause sleepiness and taking these other medicines may add to the sleepiness caused by Lyrica:

- cold or allergy medications

- narcotic pain medicines

- sleeping pills

- muscle relaxers

- medicines for seizures

- and depression and anxiety can add to sleepiness caused by Lyrica.

*You should avoid driving or operating heavy machinery or any activity that requires you to be alert and awake while taking Lyrica until you know how Lyrica will affect you. As Lyrica may impair your thinking and reaction time.

Known medical side effects of Lyrica other than those I have experienced are:

- constipation

- stomach pain

- blurred vision

- dizziness or drowsiness

- anxiety

- loss of balance or coordination

- problems with memory or concentration

- dry mouth

- increased appetite; &

- muscle or joint pain

Lyrica is a great medication for people suffering from wide spread pain and do not like to take strong narcotics. This medicine has been a blessing to me. If you suffer from diabetic pain, nerve pain, or wide spread pain for unkown reasons, you should talk to your doctor and see if Lyrica is right for you.

Do you think you have Fibromyalgia? Take this self-assessment test to find out and discuss the results with your doctor.

1. Do you have a lot of pain in certain areas of your body? If you so do you lack any obvious signs of damage such as bruising or swelling?

2. Is your overall body pain severe?

3. Do you have trouble sleeping 3 or more nights a week?

4. Do you feel exhausted more than half of the time or more?

5. Do people often come to you and say you look sick?

6. Do you stay away or turn down social events rather than go out and risk feeling achy and tired?

7. Do you ever think or wonder if your pain will ever go away or if you will feel like this forever?

8. Are you always losing or forgetting things?

9. Do you have so much mental confusion that you wonder if it could be an early onset of Alzheimer's?

10. Do you have trouble finding any real pattern to your pain? Cause some days it's really bad and other days it's not.

11. Have you started to feel down about your pain and fatigue?

12. Are you wondering if depression could be the underlying problem?

13. Do you have widespread pain in all four quadrants of your body?(below waist, above waist, right side, and left side of your body)

14. Has this pain lasted for more than 3 months?

15. Have you ever been examined by a doctor for fibromyalgia?

If you answered yes to most of these questions then you should talk to your doctor about Fibromyalgia and is Lyrica is right for you.

***This information is my opinion and based on my continued use of Lyrica. This is not a diagnosis and does not make up for seeking qualified help from a trained and licensed medical examiner.***

Lyrica only heals the holes in the mfg. pockets

I am a Chronic Back Pain Sufferer. I have endured 6 spine surgeries over the past 4 years with no end in sight. My former Pain Management Physician prescribed Lyrica for my Neuropathy two and a half years ago. During that time I began to see an increase in my weight and a decrease in appetite. I knew I was not over eating. I have maintained the same weight for many years only fluctuating up or down 5 pounds or so. I know I eat proper foods such as fruits,vegetables and proteins. Most all of which comes from my own land and cattle. I knew it was Lyrica that was causing the increase in my weight. Also, I was becoming more irritable. Already on antidepressants which also help with nerve pain, I knew I didn't need the dosage of that adjusted, AGAIN! I was on Lyrica for about two years. I explained the issues with my doctor and my case fell on deaf ears.  It came down to taking myself off against medical advice. At the end, I was sixty pounds heavier! At a height of 5'4, weighing in at 208, I was obese. Within 5 months of discontinuing the Lyrica, I went from a size 20 to a size 14. My stress level came down as I was not quite as edgy all the time. Being a Chronic Pain Sufferer with a diagnosis of Failed Spinal Syndrome, I can not afford to have extra weight bearing down on my spine. As heart patients can not eat fatty foods! I see the commercials for Lyrica on TV all the time, boasting about how awesome their product is and always with skinny women pushing the ads. I just want to jump in the TV and "interrupt the broadcast" with an urgent message!

Be cautious about what you are prescribed. Do extensive research before taking medications. I have come straight out and asked what kick-back my doctor got from the drug companies for prescribing the newest medications. I was quickly laughed at! Never answered either way! So that just answered the question for me. Now with my new doctor, I have done the research. He mentioned Lyrica and I quickly denied it and gave my reasoning, weight gain, decreased appetite, and mood changes. I gave him a list of the medications I had studied and we then agreed on one. You have a choice in your healthcare. Do not be affraid to use your voice. It may save you allot of pain down the road!

Lyrical saved my life, I have Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy.2014

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I was on Morphine 30mg three times a day for 10yrs,30mgValium for RSD. I stopped taking them & was put on Lyrica 450mg daily. You can not live with RSD if it goes untreated. I begged God to take me the Lyrica saved my Life. I am up by 8am & have my life back. I can live again.

Lyrica was not the lifesaver I expected!

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I suffer from chronic pain, an auto-immune disorder and fibromyalgia. I was prescribed Lyrica for the neuropathic and fibromyalgia pain I endure on a daily basis. I had such high hopes for this medication after viewing the commercials and hearing the success stories from other individuals I know as well as my physician. Unfortunately, that excitement was short lived as I did not respond to the drug as favorably. I will take the pain over the Lyrica any day. Within thirty minutes of taking my first dose, I lost the fine motor skills within my hands. I could not pick up or hold anything. I could not close my hands, I became dizzy and my vision blurred. This continued for the next 24 hours or so until the drug left my body. It was terrifying and while it may work for some, it did not work for me. I realize everyone is different and we all react to drugs differently. That is why I feel we each should research the drug information available on Lyrica or any other drug we are prescribed thoroughly before deciding whether it is right for us. I definitely will never take Lyrica again.

Too Many Side Effects When Taken for Fibromyalgia

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I took Lyrica for 7 months to treat Fibromyalgia. It was horrible. I did not notice much relief from my Fibromyalgia symptoms but I did notice an onslaught of side effects. I experienced double vision while taking it that went away a month after stopping Lyrica. I also gained 70 pounds within the 7 months that I was taking it. I had not changed my diet or anything in my lifestyle, but yet I gained all of that weight. It has been almost one year since I stopped Fibromyalgia treatment with Lyrica and I am just now down 25 pounds. I also experienced numbness and tingling in my extremities, especially my legs while taking it. I became very anxious while on it as well, that went away after stopping it. My heart would pound hard while I was on it as well. I now take 400mg Neurontin 3 times a day for my Fibromyalgia and it is much better. It cuts the pain and other symptoms of my Fibromyalgia almost by half, has no bad side effects, and is much cheaper to purchase than Lyrica. I will never take Lyrica again and I warn every person I know who has Fibromyalgia not to take it. I know each person responds to medications differently, but I do not think my loved ones should risk having the same reactions as I and other people I know from taking this medication. I refer to it as Satan's Pills.

Works great for peripheral nerve pain associated with MS

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

Lyrica in conjunction with others meds works great for the tough to treat peripheral nerve pain associated with the arm, leg and back pain of multiple sclerosis. But beware - insurance companies are realizing the high cost of this drug and are beginning to deny coverage for it.

Miracle Drug For Me

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I was given Lyrica for severe facial neuralgia. It has done wonders with pain relief allowing me to lessen the use of Norco. It also relieved my anxiety disorder and has helped with the pain of a rotater cuff tear that just happened a couple of days ago. I have had no side effects and I take a 100 Mg capsule 3 x a day. BUT BE WARNED do not run out of medicine or quit taking it abruptly the withdrawal symptoms are awful!

Give yourself a chance at a less pain life...Try Lyrica

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

2-1/2 years of chronic nerve pain from disc herniations due to an accident. Also diabetic nerve pain. I have been taking prescription pain medications with continuos adjustments from my pain management doc. I was already on Cymbalta and my doc and I agreed to try Lyrica. After just 1 days dosage of 50 mg 3x a day, I felt remarkably better. The burning in my thighs, the joint pain and sore feet all decreased intensity the very day I started taking it. I recommend Lyrica to anyone with chronic pain to at least give the drug a try. Ignore the negative posts about side effects and give it a chance to change your life. It may or may not work for you because we are all different. However, it can't "hurt" to try.

FINALLY!!!

from Derry, NH

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

About 15 years ago I started getting very sick and losing my energy and strength and couldn't do my job at work. For about 7 yrs. from 1992-1999 I have been going to doctor after doctor trying to find out what was wrong with me and explaining what was going on with me what symptoms I was experiencing. Through the years my conditions was getting more severe and worsen. And in 1998 I had to stop working completely by my doctor because I just couldn't do it anymore. The finally in 1999, my doctor diagnosed me with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Fibromyalgia and possible Multiple Sclerosis. Til this day today on November 19, 2007, I still am suffering and am forced to go back to work again because Social Security People (The Government) are So Stupid!!! I love to work and I love my job in wwhat I do but my body keeps telling me NO, Stop. But I have to force myself to work because I have bills to pay and 2 mortgages, 2 car payments and a student loan to pay as well. Anyway, Just about 2-3 months ago I read on the internet about Lyrica which the FDA finally approved the first medicine to help people like me manage Fibromyalgia as well as my Shingles which I also have and was diagnosed with in 1985. The medicine works Wonders!!! I feel great and sometimes I still have my BAD Days as well too. But now having more good days since taking Lyrica.

Lyrica

from Fort Lauderdale, FL

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I started taking Lyrica for Neuralgia pain. It took the pain away which was great but i felt loopy all day it was horrible.

Having  a dry mouth I could live with. But being spaced out all day was not fun, I am a mother of 2 young kids and I was afraid to drive the car with them. I could not even roll out of bed sometimes or even lift my arm. This drug is definitely not for me...

It was very frustrating because i was so drugged up I could not function. After being on this drug for about two months I started getting depressed and feeling like I wanted to hurt myself, I was speaking to my husband and this is not in my nature to think this way so we read on the side-effects of this drug and there it was in black and white this drug may cause you to feel suicidal in some patients. So I spoke to my doctor and he took me off the drug immediately.

I hope this helps some you.

Not for me!

from New Fairfield, CT

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

My rheumatologist prescribed me Lyria for fibromyalgia pain. She had high hopes for my on it, but I quickly discovered that, while it has been a miracle drug for some, it was absolutely awful for me!

I got no symptom relief, unfortunately, but I did get subjected to some absolutely hellish side effects.

Perhaps the worse was the dizziness. Oh, the dizziness. Lyrica made it feel as through the room was spinning around me! Even when I lay down and closed my eyes, it continued.

I also got to enjoy weight gain, hair loss and some other fun side effects.

After hearing my issues, my rheumatologist quickly took me off the drug. I was lucky that the siide effects did not linger after I discontinued the drug. Having tried all three of the FDA approved medications for fibromyalgia, I can say that Lyrica was the worst. I hope that other people have better luck with it than I do--I finally found success with Savella.

Didn't know what pain relief meant until now.

from Moberly, MO

Comments about Lyrica Prescription Medicine:

I am a fibromyalgia sufferer along with many other medical problems: clinical depression, seasonal depression, social anxieties. This is just to name a few. I'm finding my list getting longer.

Lyrica has made a big difference and helps with my fibromyalgia. When I don't hurt as bad, my depression seems to lift a little too. Wow, it's like killing two birds with one stone.

Lyrica doesn't take all of my pain away all the time. I don't like the side effect of gaining weight. That is not helpful. Benefits out weigh the cons.

The biggest difference was having no pain in my right forefinger. I can move it and type without the pain. When I try to cut back on the dosage prescribe, because of cost (even with co-pay), I noticed a huge difference.