Other Mouthwashes:
Listerine
Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse

Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse

Listerine Tooth Defense: Burn Your Way to Protection

Mouthwash and mouth rinse products offer an effective way to kill germs and freshen breath and there are many varieties available that not only perform these tasks- they also make many other promises to the consumer that all include improved oral health. One newer product that claims to fortify your teeth is **Listerine Tooth Defense Anti- Cavity Fluoride Rinse**, a product that strengthens teeth.**Mouth Rinse Commentary:** Listerine Tooth Defense Anti- Cavity Fluoride Rinse is purple in color and minty in flavor. Like other Listerine products, this one kills germs and freshen breath. But this product offers one other benefit: The ability to strengthen the teeth and thus help prevent cavities. Actually, Listerine offers many different products that go beyond the usual germ- killing capabilities of the original Listerine. The newer Listerine products each have something unique that they offer and Listerine Tooth Defense Anti- Cavity Fluoride Rinse sets itself apart from the other mouth rinses by its ability to strengthen the teeth, fight plaque above the gumline, and restore tooth enamel. These are certainly good qualities and I doubt that anyone wouldn't want a mouth runse that can make their teeth stronger. This, when I first heard about this product and it's lofty claims, I was curious enough to give it a try. I also wanted to know exactly what it contained that would aid in the strengthening of the teeth. What I discovered is that the claims Listerine makes are true, but the reason they are true isn't because of any special ingredient. It is due to the addition of sodium fluoride to each bottle. Sodium fluroide is nothing special- it is the same ingredient found in fluoride toothpastes. So, is Listerine like toothpaste in liquid form? Yes and no. It does have fluoride, which has been shown to strengthen teeth. But it is not a substitute for brushing, as the manufacturer is quick to point out. In fact, it is recommended that Listerine Total Care Anti- Cavity Fluoride Rinse Mint Shield be used immediately following brushing, for the best effects. Listerine recommends taking a small amount of this product in the mouth and swishing it around for about one minute. This is longer than most other mouth rinses recommend and it is easier said than done. The reason it isn't easy to accomplish is because of the alcohol burn. Once you reach the 30 second mark, the burning sensation will reach a point where it is almost too much to bear. Unless you use a timer and make a disciplined effort to hold the liquid in place, or are capable of handling the burn, you will not likely come even close to the one minute recommendation.  Once the burning sensation hits, you will be ready to spit the liquid out quickly.

**Bottom Line Viewpoint:**

Listerine Tooth Defense Anti- Cavity Fluoride Rinse is a good product and it does kill germs, freshen breath, and strengthen the teeth. The taste is a bit harsh, making it difficult to follow the manufacturer's instructions the way you should. One also needs to be careful not to swallow the liquid because it does, of course, contain sodium fluoride which can become toxic if consumed in large amounts. But all things considered, Listerine Total Care is still effective and it ranks as yet another quality oral care product from Listerine. It could be improved if the burn was reduced, but this product is still a good addition to your daily dental care routine.

Unsure if it works or not

I like to use mouthwash. I found that I couldn't really handle the alcohol burning, though, so I tried to stick to alcohol free only. I had tried several different brands--name and generic-- and I liked them all just fine. One day, I went to the store and this was the only alcohol free within my budget--barely, but still under. I brought it home and tried it. IT STILL BURNED! My eyes were watering within a few seconds. I followed the directions, waited to rinse my mouth for 30+ minutes, and my mouth was sore, especially around and on my tongue. I figured that I might just need to adjust to it, so I continued for about a week, once a day. When the soreness didn't go away, I stopped using it for a few weeks for my mouth to go back to normal. When I tried it again, the burning was less severe, but still there, and my mouth was still sore. My husband uses it without a problem, but I'll never know for myself if it actually protects against cavities because I just can't use it.

This makes a difference in managing my dental health

from Phoenix, AZ

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I prefer Listerine over other mouth washes because it makes my whole mouth tingle, and I see that as a sign that it has begun working to get rid of bad breath and is killing germs that cause cavities. I have thin enamels and have had cavities needing filling quite often. A little goes a long way, as I can use it half strength and it will still be effective if I use it as a mouthwash and swish it around in my mouth. I use it in an unusual way, too. I have a special need to use an effective germ killer on my teeth because the enamels were all damaged in childhood by metal braces, and the damage is right at the gum line, and cavities there undermine the whole tooth structure. I use it after scrubbing with tooth paste to disinfect my teeth because I scrub the germs away that hide between the teeth and in the gums which I missed with regular brushing. I dip my tooth brush into a cap of full strength mouth wash and scrub my teeth with it, concentrating on areas between teeth and at the gum line. I have been doing this for a year now and have noticed that my gums are a little less recessed and my teeth less sensitive. I also have fewer cavities and fewer deep ones. Before, I would have sudden deep achy pains when eating hot or cold foods, plus a tendency of my gums to bleed a little during brisk brushing. I find if I use this product as I described here, I have less tooth pain when eating, and my gums stopped bleeding. This does not substitute for my seeing my dentist, however, but it makes the time between those visits more pleasant.

Purple for the win

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

This mouthwash is wonderful! I love that it takes care of so many different mouth conditions all at once. The last time I went to the dentist, my dental hygienist said the only two mouthwashes that actually work are ACT and the purple Listerine. I've always trusted the Listerine brand, so I was glad to hear that this product is one of the most highly recommended. It does have alcohol in it, but unlike other mouthwash brands, it isn't so strong that it stings or that it hurts to keep the swishing the mouthwash for the recommended period of time. The fresh mint flavor is really nice without being overpowering, and I really appreciate that all of the most common mouth health concerns are addressed in this mouthwash. Plus, Listerine is pretty good about publishing manufacturer coupons often, so though this particular mouthwash may be a little more expensive than others, the quality and value for the money is worth it, and you can be assured there are plenty of coupons. Everything considered, this is our go-to mouthwash.

Fresh breath and clean teeth.

from Roanoke Rapids, NC

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I like Listerine mouthwash because after I brush my teeth and I still have that toothpaste taste in my mouth and on my tongue the Listerine mouthwash cleans that taste away and leaves everything feeling and tasting like new . Its just that overall feeling you get after each use and you see lesser plaque on your teeth. Well worth the money maybe a little to strong for small kids. Can leave your tongue stinging after use that I why I would only let adults or teenagers use can be to strong for a small child .

Great at preventing cavities

from Columbus, OH

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I have had so many cavities over the years, it's embarrassing. I eat a lot of chocolate candy and I eat it daily, which isn't good for my teeth. My dentist recommended I start using Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse. I thought all mouthwashes were the same and I continued buying the cheapest brand available. One day when I was grocery shopping I noticed the bottle of Listerine Tooth Defense Rinse on the shelf and decided to pick it up and read the package. The package claimed this product would protect my teeth from cavities and reduce the development of gingivitis and plaque. I finally bought a bottle and haven't used another mouthwash since. This mouthwash tingles in my mouth and I can feel it working between my teeth. The taste is so refreshing and I love using it first thing in the morning. It wakes me up and gets me ready for the day. I haven't had any cavities since I started using this mouthwash. My teeth and my mouth feel clean and fresh after using Listerine. Compared to other brands, my fresh breath seems to last much longer when I use Listerine. This is my favorite mouthwash. I don't buy any other brands now that I've tried Listerine.

All-in-one great mouthwash

from Merced, CA

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

The Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse has it all. It kills bad breath germs, freshens breath, is great for on the go, in-between meals when there is no time to floss and clean in-between teeth. The fluoride in the mouthwash is also great for reducing cavities. For those of us that live in areas where the ground water does not have fluorides naturally or as a result of fluoride supplements added to the water by municipalities, this mouthwash serves as an additional supply of this essential mineral absolutely required for healthy teeth (and bones). I even use this mouthwash for my kid, who is six years old, so that she may have some defense against cavities forming in her teeth. Just be aware that too much fluoride is harmful for both teeth and bones, so do not use a fluoride mouthwash on a kid that cannot effectively spit it all out after swishing it around in their mouths for the recommended time.

Not The Listerine I Am Used To

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I have always been an avid user of Listerine products and have always gotten great results. I ran across the Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse while shopping one afternoon and realized that I had a coupon for it. I decided to give it a try. After trying the product for almost a week, I decided that this particular mouthwash wasn't for me. I found the rinse be very strong and overwhelming. I did not like the taste of the rinse as well as how it made my mouth burn. Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse seems to have a larger amount of alcohol that others that I have tried in the past. The rinse didn't seem to leave my mouth as fresh as other rinses. I will continue to use Listerine products, but will definitely not be using Listerine Tooth-Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse again. I would not purchase this product again and would never recommend the rinse to anyone.

I cannot use this product

from TX

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I cannot use Listerine Mouth Wash. I bought the Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride rinse after my dentist told me that the sodas and lemon water that I had been drinking had almost completely erased the enamel on my teeth and I was getting my first cavity at age thirty three. I felt that the product would work great promising to help defend my teeth from cavities. I used it for about a week but could not get passed the strong, harsh burning that it would leave it my mouth. I was only able to swish around for about 20 seconds and had to spit it out. I could not tell a difference in such a short period of time. I have always heard great things about Listerine providing great oral protection but it is not for me. I wish Listerine would offer a more sensitive version of this product. I switched to another brand that taste better but I do not have as much confidence in it as I did with Listerine.

Unsure if it works or not

Burns so Good

from Dallas, TX

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

Listerine just feels like it's working. It seems that the formula has changed from the original version that I used to use, and I'm glad about this change.
I always dreaded using this mouthwash because of the inevitable burning sensation that always followed. I even experienced it while it was in my mouth, making it hard for me to swish for a full 30 seconds.
The Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse seems to be a bit more mild and gentle yet still effective. I love that they have added fluoride for extra enamel protection.
I try to use this rinse both morning and night, but I often don't have much time in the morning. I am faithful with my nighttime rinse, however. As the label says, it's best not to eat or drink anything immediately after using it so that the fluoride can do its job protecting your teeth. For this reason, it works best for me to use it at night.

I love Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse

from Oakwood Vlg., OH

Comments about Listerine Tooth Defense Anti-Cavity Fluoride Rinse:

I love this product. The clean feeling stays with you for at least an hour after using it and it makes me feel like it's lasting even longer after that. It has a pleasant taste and a refreshing feeling in your mouth. This particular product by Listerine also tastes better than the yellow original product.I truly believe the claims it makes as it delivers on making me feel secure that it is indeed working on fighting cavities and providing defense for my tooth enamel. This product does not upset my stomach as some mouth washes do, and it does not aggravate my acid reflux. I like the fact that it is recommended by dentists and that makes me feel secure. I like that it coats my teeth with additional fluoride from the outside and that it's good for my gums as well. I have been using this product for quite some time and will continue to use it and keep it in the rotation of mouth washes for my household.