3.9
Other Baby Musical Toys:
Activity Toy, Electronic, Learning Toys, Multi-activity infant toy, Musical Toys
LeapFrog
LeapFrog Learning Drum

LeapFrog Learning Drum

3.9

Great for cause and effect learning.

Leap Frog Learning Drum

Leap Frog Learning Drum

This drum by Leap Frog is designed to assist your child in learning or practicing ABC’s and numbers. There are also settings for using the drum to make drum noises and also other musical noises.

It is easy for a child to operate. The on switch slides from left to right and is easily maneuvered by my 20 month old. He can switch the settings and turn it on without assistance and I’m sure a younger child could do the same because the switch moves so easily.

When on the ABC or number setting the child can pound on the drum and the drum responds with ABC’s or numbers in order. The only negative aspect I can find to this interactive toy is that while going though the ABC’s or numbers there is background music that plays while the drum says the numbers and letters and it is difficult to understand. At least for me it is. I would prefer that he could go though the numbers and letters without music in the background music so he could clearly hear the ABC’s and numbers.

While the child is not using the drum the toy continuously sings for a few seconds until it goes into sleep mode. I feel this takes away from encouraging the child to pound the drum to hear it. I’m not a big fan of toys that have a setting that sings or talks without a child interacting with it.

This Toy Follows the Beat of a Different Drummer

The drum sounded like a good idea. At the time. Then, we brought it home. My son banged on it. And banged on it. Then he walked away. The drum has been single ever since.

Ultimately, this drum doesn't hold a kid's attention. I'm a mom who doesn't like to always cater to "entertaining" my child, but when you fork out a worthy amount of dough on an educational toy, you expect that the kid is going to stick around to learn something. Not so with this drum dud.

There isn't much to the thing as far as appearance goes. Yes, the sound effects and interesting choice of music (la cucaracha?) have an initial draw, but when the kid bangs on the drum, there are no colors, variations or impressive reactions to gain. One setting counts to 10, but then the song accompanying the counting frenzy also starts over, so the song never resolves itself. as a mom, that is a VERY important feature, as you'll be listening to half of a mozart tune over and over and over again. another setting attempts to teach rhythm, but as you'll notice, you could be completely off in your rhythm and the drum applauds your efforts anyway...which is encouraging for a one-year old but not if you're trying to teach them a skill. they could just use positive reinforcement like "good try, maybe a little faster" or "you're almost there".

the drum itself is kind of bulky and awkward. it gets launched a lot, so at least it is hearty. i have seen countless leapfrog drums at secondhand stores and garage sales, so that alone should alert you to its less than winning appeal.

Yes! Just yes!

from Ellsinore mo

About Me Education Oriented, Parent Of Two Or More Children, Stay At Home Parent

Pros

• Durable
  • Easy to Use
  • Engaging
  • Good Sound Quality
  • Lasting Fun

Cons

• Older Children
    • Special Needs
    • Young Children

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

Buy this toy! I swear you will not regret it. My kids love it! Its been thrown across the room and dropped on concrete. It has been through so many kids I couldn't begin to tell you how durable this product is. On top of that it is so fun. My kids love to play with it in the dark. And it's very educational. If you choose learning colors the color of the drum changes to whatever color your learning! It's a really great toy you will not regret buying it!

• Was this a gift?:

Fun Learning

from Morgan City, LA

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

This was a great toy for my little girl to start learning her ABCs on.  Was a gift from her nanny that has gotten lots of use.  Teaches ABCs and 123s to the beat of some fun music.  My daughter still plays with it at 3 and is now sharing it with her 1 year old cousin.  Helps to introduce alphabet as well as music...very easy for younger ones to use.  Uses hands...no sticks required.

Fun for years

from Peru, ME

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

My mother-in-law has this toy at her house. It's gone through both of my nieces and now my daughter. They have all enjoyed banging on it, sitting on it, singing with it....it's VERY durable...and easy to use. Such a joy to see kids (15 months-4 years old) all able to enjoy the same toy, and knowing that it's safe and educational as well as fun makes this toy a "keeper" in my book.

Banging Good Time

from Monroe, MI

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

Don't let LeapFrog fool you - this toy won't teach your infant his alphabet.  However, it will provide lots of fun as he learns that as he hits the drum, the sounds and lights change.My son wasn't all that interested when we bought this for him, around the six-month mark.  (I had dreams of him learning his alphabet and developing him into a musical prodigy).  However, at about the one-year mark, he rediscovered the drum and was pretty excited to be able to actually hit the drum hard enough (a problem when we first tried it out) and to see how fast and hard he could hit it.It's pretty durable and does stand up to some non-traditional banging.  It's also not as annoying as banging on pots and pans would be.  I think this is a fine toy that does entertain young children, but is not going to be the way to turn your baby into a little genius.

Educational toy

from Broad Brook, CT

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

Leap frog has always been known for educational toys and this drum is no exception. It teaches everything from the alphabet to numbers and also has music. The banging on the drum is great for their muscles. The drum is so durable that I used it for my son and now 2 years later my daughter uses it too and it is still in reat shape.

Probably good, but not for my son

from Granada Hills, CA

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

I bought this toy for my son when he was six months old, he wasn't interested in it at all...only half an yr later he started to play with it. Didn't teach him any letters, or numbers, just music, and beat. Wouldn't suggest buying. Will see how my second son is going to play with this toy, since I already have it...

Fun Drum

from Fremont, NE

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

I am once again impressed by Leap Frog toys. They make quality toys and this toy is right in line with that. My chldren love banging on the drum. As you hit the drum, it will change the to a different letter of the alphabet. Some have found that the music can be annoying but I do not really mind. There is a level switch to turn the volume down. If that is still a problem, have your children take the toy into a different room. There are big buttons which are easy for stubby little fingers to be able to push. It is a durable toy that is going to one that will last around the house. Remember that you will need batteries for this to be able to work, so you may want to have some extras on hand. I wish that the graphics of the alphabet letter that is displayed on the top of the drum was a more advanced letter instead of such a basic letter. It looks sort of old fashioned. Leap Frog makes great toys and this one is a great sturdy toy.

LF learning drum is fun!

from Silvis, IL

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

I have two boys and they have both throughly enjoyed the Leapfrog products. This is a toy that we bought to stay at grandma's house. Both of the boys loved using this drum between 12 and 18 months, but know that my 3 year old is learning his alphabet, he likes to "show" his little brother how to use it. This is a great toy made of a sturdy white plastic with a see through top that dislpays different designs, letters and numbers. There are a few different modes on this drum, our favorites are the alphabet, numbers and music. When the boys tap on the top of the drum and as they tap, the drum will do through the sequence of letters or numbers. I really allows the kids to move along at there own pace. The music option lights up the top of the drum as the kids tap on the top. This is a great educational toys. It is a heavy toy, that is why we have it at grandma's. Heavy toys like these tend to get thrown or tossed around with young boys and if someone got hit, this could really hurt. I love the toy! (My only reservation, would be the weight of the toy.)

so far she's loving it

from Carlsbad, CA

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

I just picked this drum up for my daughter. My 14 month old (toddler) is at the stage where she finds the joy in tearing paper apart, throwing things across the room just to see what they do, and constantly banging on things. Whether it be drum sticks on the dog, myself, or any other random object. I thought this would be a perfect "learning" toy that she could bang on and bang and I wouldn't have to repremend her for hurting someone! So far she has enjoyed banging her little hands on this drum. Creating music or listening to her ABC's or 1,2,3's. The unfortunate part of this toy is that it only goes up to 10. However, I can understand that a toddler's toy shouldn't go to a million numbers & beyond! She has been walking around our apartment holding this drum and taking it wherever she goes. She is an avid dancer  who knows how to "shake it". So this toy has been nothing but perfect for her. At a great price and high quality sound. Also very very low maintenance (battery wise), it's the ideal toy for those toddlers who like to bang on everything they can get their little hands on but enjoy "grooving" as well!

It broke in a week

from Lancaster, PA

Comments about LeapFrog Learning Drum:

If this drum had held up better I would have given it a much different review.  Before it broke our son LOVED it.  It's fun and very entertaining and captivated not only our 1 year old but our 2 and 4 year olds as well.  He was given it for Christmas and yet here we are not even a month later and already the drum surface has cracked and it had to be thrown away.  This is not typical of what we expect from Leapfrog products so maybe it was just a fluke but etiehr way it's a shame because it was a really cute drum.  The songs were catchy and not annoying and overall it was a hit during it's brief stay with our family.  At first I thought of keepig it even with the crack and maybe would have had it not been mainly for our 1 year old and I was worried he'd push it in deeper and catch a finger or something.  If it had not broken I'd have rated it 4 stars but unfortunately I had to dowgrade it to two but at least we got some fun out of it!