Other Misc. Kitchen Items:

KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers

Pros

Cons

The KitchenAid Food Grinder is great for the cooking enthusiast

I had never used a food grinder before, but I purchased the attachment as a way to make ground beef for cheaper, and with less fat.

First, the grind of...Read complete review

First, the grind of ground beef will not be the same as we're accustomed to in the supermarket.  You have to do at least two passes through the grinder if not more to get that same consistency we expect.

I haven't used it to grind cheese or fruits yet. II am just beginning to get into the home canning/preserves thing so i cannot tell how good of a job it does on that.  However I did use it to make bread crumbs with some stale bread.  If your KitchenAid is in a stationary place in your kitchen, it's great for quick job of it.  However, if you have a small kitchen like myself and have to move it to a countertop.  It's easier to cube and toast the bread and crush it with a rolling pin in a plastic bag.

But cleaning the plates after grinding meat can be tedious.  It's best to have some skewers so you can get into the crevices. especially near the plate and where the gears turn.  Fat/sinew got wound around and I had to be creative.

Like many gadgets, I haven't used it as much as I thought that I would. Mainly based on time and storage space.  I would like to try the sausage attachment, but I have other logistics to figure out.  I have purchased the pasta plates for it.  THe macaroni and spaghetti attachments work fine  but there is no cutter, no dryer so you might get more clumps of pasta than you would like. The pasta press works much better.

Good tool

We got this to go with our mixer as our first "attachments" outside of the paddles for the mixer. They work well for the most part. They can be a little tricky to clean and the dishwasher doesn't always get all of the grime out of the curved parts. I've found it's often easier to use a baby bottle brush on those and bend it whatever shape you need to reach the cracks and crevices. Cleaning the holes on the ground meat adapter is a little tedious. (Using a slice of bread will clean out the leftover meat, as well.) Over all, it's a good product. Makes great baby food from veggies and fruits, or even from soft meats. Do NOT overstuff the shoot, because it can get jammed. Using a slice of bread will clean out the leftover meat, as well. Once we figured out the capacity, it wasn't too bad. A little pricey for plastic, though. Definitely cheaper than buying a full-blown meat grinder. Not a tool I'd use if I were going to be doing a large quantity of grinding. But great for occasional use.

Cool Product

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

The Kitchenaid food grinder attachment works very well and is easy to use for you stand mixer. I have saved money by not buying ground meat and doing it myself. The only thing is i wish you could grind a little smaller, sometimes the chunks are kind of big for ground meat, but grinding your own meat tastes great and doesn't have any additives. I give this two thumbs up.

It works really well to prepare meat products.

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

We have a Kitchen aid robot, and my husband purchased this grinder to use it with our robot. It can be used to grind every type of meat. We usually bought bulk amounts of red meat and use this grinder to make sausages. He also bought the sausage maker: you put it in front of the grinder, and you do not add the grinding part. The grinder is really strong, we run it for hours to grind 50 pounds of red meat. The only problem we had is the blood might come out on the kitchen desk, if you run the robot fast. However, we solved it using an aluminum foil cover (that I designed to prevent blood jumping). In conclusion, this grinder is designed to grind any kind of meat. You just need to chopped down big meat parts into smaller parts, and put into the grinder by using the stick that comes with the grinder. Afterward, it is also very easy to clean. Put every part into a big bowl, pour some hot water, and wait 10 minutes. At the end, it is very easy to remove meat or fat particles from the parts.

Meat grinder attachment

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I have a 350 watt meat grinder but when I use it I have to stop several times to unclog it. I have a kitchen aid stand mixer and also a meat grinder attachment which I had stacked away in my garage. The first time I used it I was very pleased and now I use it every month to grind about 15 lbs of beef and 7 lbs of chicken breast meat. I grind the beef then wash the parts before grinding the chicken.Never had to unclog.

KitchenAid FGA food grinder attachment for stand mixers

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

This attachment is a good value for the money--if you're not terribly picky. It does a thorough job of grinding meat and can be used with additional accessories such as the pasta maker that I also own.

It has some drawbacks, though. It is difficult to clean, with meat getting stuck in the back of the unit. Normally, a good soak along with a scrubbing pack and a kitchen knife is required to get it completely clean. I have used the "bread trick" that some reviewers recommend without much luck. Essentially, you run some slices of bread through the machine after the meat. While this gets a lot of it out, I still have to soak and use the butter knife.

Also, oxidation forms (lumps of white) on the metal at the back of the machine after soaking. This is likely related to the discoloration that occurs on some of pieces of the meat during the first stages of grinding.

If this wasn't an attachment for my wonderful KitchenAid mixer, I'm sure I wouldn't put up with the challenges that this attachment has. However, it would be impossible to find motorized grinder in this price range.

Best hamburger

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

We use the meat grinder to save money and to have a better quality hamburger then store bought. We purchased the grinder to make our own blend for meat-loafs. Then when meat prices skyrocketed we started making our own hamburger and found that it had a much better taste so we continued to make our own.

Summarize this product in one sentence.

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I received the Cuisinart Stand up Mixer as a Christmas present last year and I just love it. I do alot of baking throughout the year, especially during the holidays, for my friends, co-workers and family. I purchased the Meat Grinder attachment because my husband does alot of hunting and its perfect for grinding the meat for hamburgers, casseroles & pasta dishes. With the high price of lean ground beef at the supermarket i will also buy cheap steak and grind it up as well. One of the best purchases I ever made.

love it!

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

I love the Kitchen Aid Food Grinder Attachment for my stand mixer! I have primarily used it for making homemade pasta and it works really well! I made the pasta dough with the regular stand mixer parts, then attached the grinder later and used it along with the lasagna noodle press from the pasta maker attachments. I had considered getting the pasta rolling attachments, but I was able to use the lasagna noodles made with the grinder along with the pasta attachment to make ravioli. I'm considering getting the ravioli maker to see if it can help make them more quickly than when I assemble them by hand, but for now this works for me! I am planning to use it to grind some vegetables and will post again after I see how well that works. So far it has been a great attachment, easy to use and very easy to attach to the mixer. I would absolutely recommend this to anyone who wants to make pasta with their mixer!

Saves us a ton of money

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

My aunt received this when she purchased her Kitchen Aid stand mixer as a gift and it sat in her garage for years. When I got married, she gave it to me to try. My husband and I use it all the time! I use it to grind up chicken to use as a substitute for ground beef. Makes our meals healthier and cheaper to make! After seeing how many things I make with the grinder, but aunt has admitted she might have kept it if she realized what it could do! I have only ever ground meat with it. I know it can double as a pasta maker, but I don't have the time to tinker with that. I have friends who have since bought this since seeing mine, realizing that the small investment would be much better to create their own ground meats.
I do find it difficult to clean. If my husband and I forget about it and leave it overnight until the morning to clean, it is near impossible to get the chicken off of it. Simply placing it in the dishwasher isn't enough. We have to hand wash it very thoroughly to make sure it is clean and then we stick it in the dishwasher to make sure it is sanitized.

The meat grinder attachment is a must have for the do it yoursel

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

The attachment is easy to install on my mixer base. It is also very easy to use anytime. I use it to grind meats for many uses like homemade sausage or hamburger, etc. I find it very easy to clean and store. I recommend this for anyone who wants to save some money.

Outstanding product!

from Lancaster, NY

Comments about KitchenAid FGA Food Grinder Attachment for Stand Mixers:

The Kitchen Aid Food Grinder attachment for Kitchen Aid stand mixers is an outstanding product!It comes with different grinding blades that can be used for a variety of things. I bought this to use for making sausages. I was surprised at how neatly everything fit together. It attaches very easily. It is easy to take apart and clean. Once it's attached it stays on firmly until you remove it. It is excellent quality and very durable.It is made of plastic and the grinding discs are metal. It is built to last! I was pleasantly surprised with this product and have used it several times. It's a great product and I highly recommend it. I have not been disappointed yet with any attachments I have purchased .