Other Cat Foods:
Hill's Science Diet

Pros

Cons

• Flavor Selection:

My cats love Science Diet, they are beautiful and healthy.

*MY BEST FRIEND ANGEL LOVES SCIENCE DIET.  IT KEEPS HER COAT SOFT AND SHINY AND IN GREAT CONDITION. I PREFER AND SHE DOES TO, THE ACTIVE LONGEVITY  CAT FOOD. .  SOME CHEAPER CAT FOODS ON THE MARKET SHE EITHER WON'T EAT OR THROWS THEM UP. ANGEL IS 10 YEARS OLD AND SHE IS DEFINETLY A PAMPERED PET.  WE HAVE A CAT POLE SPECIALLY MADE FOR HER THAT GOES TO THE CEILING.  I BELIEVE SCIENCE DIET GIVES HER LOTS OF EXTRA ENERGY FOR PLAYING.  SHE LOVES TO CHASE ANY TOY, PLAY FEATHER AND CLIMB HER CAT POLE UP AND DOWN AND AGAIN AND AGAIN.   GOD PUT ANIMALS ON THIS EARTH FOR US TO TAKE CARE OF.  THEY GIVE US UNCONDITIONAL LOVE AND COMPANIONSHIP.  WHY WOULD YOU FEED ANYTHING BUT THE BEST TO YOUR BEST FRIEND.                                                                                          I HAVE HAD LOTS OF  CATS THROUGH THE YEARS AND TRIED LOTS OF DIFFERENT CAT FOODS.  MY FAVORITE AND MY PETS IS  SCIENCE DIET.  IF YOU WANT YOUR CAT HAPPY, FRISKY AND HEALTHY , SERVE THEM SCIENCE DIET.*

Not Impressed with Science Diet for Cats

When we adopted our cat the animal shelter sent us home with a free bag of Science Diet cat food. I know this is a veterinarian recommended food because our vet sells it and she always recommended it for our dogs.

Science Diet does a good thing in giving to animal shelters, so I give them kudos for that. As for the dry food we were sent home with, well I am not impressed.

This was the food that the shelter fed to our cat, so they said to be sure to continue to feed it to her at our home or she could suffer some intestinal distress. Well, our cat was skinny and needed to put on some weight, but she wasn't eating the Science Diet food.

I doctored it up by adding some water to it to soften it, thinking a different texture might appeal to her, but she still didn't eat it. I added it to some canned cat food, and she proceeded to pick out the dry food and eat the rest.

I looked at the ingredients on the bag and I personally didn't see anything I wanted to feed my cat, there are a lot of grains in the bag I have, and I wasn't impressed.

This food may work great for some cats, but if they won't eat it then there really is no point in my continuing to purchase it. We have moved on to other brands.

Quality of Ingredients
Too many grains, not enough moisture and meat for my satisfaction.

Flavor Selection
Not many flavors to choose from, at least not what I have found locally.

Kitty is Healthy and She Loves the Taste

from Chicagoland, IL

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

Since we humans are not likely to taste the cat food that we buy (at least I'm not), we can only go by the list of ingredients and the cat's response to determine if our choice is a good one. In my cat's case, she appears to adore the taste of Hill's Science Diet Optimal Care and her vet visits suggest that this brand is keeping her in ideal shape. My only concern is that she loved it so much that she tended to overeat and we had to switch to the light formula.

Persia would gobble this dry kibble nearly as happily as she does her canned food. The list of ingredients are good, although not as optimal as the all-natural and organic brands. I'd say it's better quality than Purina but not as good as Blue Buffalo.

As far as Science Diet being a healthy choice, all I can say is that it makes Persia's coat soft and shiny and she is in fabulous health for a kitty her age (nearly 8).

Overall, I would absolutely recommend Science Diet Optimal care for an adult cat. My only caution would be to make sure your cat gets enough exercise because she may like it a little too much!

• Flavor Selection:

Hey my cats really liked it

from Warren, MI

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

My cats are used to dry Meow Mix or Friskies. I had previously tried other Hills Science Diet products and neither cat would touch them.I was really skeptical when I opened this one color, one shaped dry food and put it in their dry food dish. I was really shocked when I got home from work to find every bit of it was gone and they both had wet food left. I thought it was a fluke so I tried it again and they went crazy again. For myself though I think I wish it was more colorful which really isn't important because I'm not going to eat it. There doesn't seem to be a huge selection in flavor so I will probably not stick to this product exclusively.

Quality of Ingredients
I like that I can pronounce most of the ingredients written on the package which makes me feel better.

Flavor Selection
There could be a larger selection of flavors. I would imagine cats get sick of the same old same old after a while. They need to broaden there selection a lot.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

To be honest, my vet has pushed this cat food on me for many years and I've tried it a number of times. It's not cheap and is supposed to be much healthier for my cats than the standard cat food I get for them. My biggest issue is none of my cats like the taste of this food and refuse to eat it. The vet said they will eat it when they get hungry enough. That wasn't the case. They nibbled around and started losing weight and were very unhappy with this food. I was a bit put off as it's not cheap. I also had bought the canned food of this brand and the results were the same. They had no intwerest in this food at all.

Quality of Ingredients
I'm going to say the quality of ingredients are good but if your cat doesn't eat it, what's the difference?

Flavor Selection
All I know is whet the vet sold me. I know nothing of flavor selection. I bought this at the vets office, not a store. Just because my cats don't like it doesn't mean yours won't. Yes, it's expensive and I believe it's a very healthy food if your cats will eat it. It's worth a try. Mine just don't like it.

A quality pet food.

from Upland, CA USA

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

I have two cats and started using Hill's Science Diet Adult cat food on recommendation by my vet. He said this would help with their weight, urinary tract health, and overall activity. Both of my cats do eat this food, but when sitting side by side with a cheaper grocery store brand, they pick the cheaper brand every time. The do go back and eat more of the cheaper brand, probably because it is less filling. I personally feel good about using Science Diet,

Quality of Ingredients
This a a more expensive brand, but it is also higher, more filling quality. I feel better feeding this to my two cats. I think it really helps with weight, and I have two 15 plus pound cats, not because they are fat, just extremely large from tail to nose!

Flavor Selection
There is only one choice of flavor and my cats do like it, they just prefer their treats and cheaper store brands. I, however, do feel that this is the healthier choice for my pets and use this unless I run out and can't get to the pet store.

Good quality cat food

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

I have had 2 cats with digestive issues. My vet recommended switching to science diet. Since I have switched to this food my cats do not have the issues they had before.

Quality of Ingredients
Good quality ingredients, gentle on their tummy's.

Flavor Selection
I have only seen one flavor. My cats do not prefer it, but they eat it.

Quality Brand if Money isn't a factor

from St. Paul, MN

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

This is one of the first foods I tried with my cats after I upgraded them from their kitten food. In general, I feel all of the science diet brand varieties (or the Science Diet brand as a whole) is a high quality cat food. They always help make my cats's coat very soft and smooth, not dull like some foods. It also helps with the litter pan, some of the lesser quality brands I've noticed make my cats go to the bathroom quite a bit more often than with the science diet brand varieties. I tried many of the different varities of this brand because I had a hard time finding something that worked well for both of my cats. I only used one bag of this variety because I noticed quickly that they were putting on a little weight. They are indoor cats and don't run around and play as much as some cats do. Because of that I switched to the light variety mixed with a few other varieties like hairball control and sensitive stomach to try to meet the needs of both my cats - one has a very sensitive stomach and often gets sick right after eating. The main downfall for this product is the price. If money is a factor in your selection I'd recommend trying cheaper brands like Purina, I've found they are a close comparison with the main difference being going to the bathroom more. I think the purina is also a little easier to digest since my cat gets sick a little less often from that. But if money is not a factor, science diet does have an overall better quality.

My Cats LOVE this Stuff!

from Folsom, CA

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

My cats love this stuff! I have 4 indoor-only rescue cats and they all eat it up like crazy. The pellets are kind of small, so I don't hear too much crunching but I haven't noticed any digestive issues. Actually, they're all quite "regular", thank you very much... (Since I'm the one who cleans the litter box, this is a double-edged sword. However I like that things are running smoothly...)
I had tried Science Diet years ago through working with a feline rescue organization, and none of the cats seemed to like it. However, I got a sample of this new formula, and now I'm (they're) a fan. It's a vet-recommended line (at least at my vet) for when one of my guys gained some weight, so it's a trusted brand. I like the all-natural ingredients also. Since I'm not the one eating the food, all I have to go on is what my cats like... Thumbs up!

Not Impressed with Science Diet for Cats

from Eagle River, AK

Quality of Ingredients
Too many grains, not enough moisture and meat for my satisfaction.

Flavor Selection
Not many flavors to choose from, at least not what I have found locally.

• Flavor Selection:

The best there is in supporting glowing feline health!

from San Luis Obispo, CA

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

I have purchased Science Diet throughout the years, and am convinced it is not to be beat for superior nutrition! It costs more, but because it is so digestible and has no filler, it ultimately costs no more than the "cheap" brands! Some of my cats have had a tendency to get dermatitis-type allergies, primarily from eating cheap food. As soon as I put them back on Science Diet, their skin problems clear, they stop itching, and they regain soft shiny coats! I wouldn't buy anything else ever again. Try it, kitties - you'll like it! :)

Quality of Ingredients
Only the highest-quality and nutritionally appropriate ingredients are used!

My cats love it!

• Flavor Selection:

Science Diet is great for your cat

from Puyallup, WA

Comments about Hill's Science Diet Adult Optimal Care Original Dry Cat Food:

Science Diet Adult Cat Food was a great cat food for our cats.  Our cats seemed to love the taste and flavor of this cat food.  The coats on our cats were so soft and shiny with this food that we could tell they were getting all the nutrients they needed.  The cons to this cat food though are that it is very expensive and our cats had really bad breath from it.  We had to switch to another cat food since it is such an expensive brand.  We have found that our cats eat more now and their coats are not as smooth and shiny as they were before.  They do have better smelling breath though.  I would say that if our budget could afford it, we would make the switch back to Science Diet but maybe look and see if they have a different blend so we that the cats' breath would not smell so bad.  This was the most highly recommended cat food by our veterinarian and by the humane society where we got our cats so you know it's got to be good!

Quality of Ingredients
The quality of ingredients are great but the expense is too much for our family. The one thing we did not like though was the smell of our cats breaths with this product!

Flavor Selection
They do have several options to choose from.