Other Cat Foods:
Purina

Pros

Cons

Reduced the puking!

When I first got my first cat, in the early 1990's, my vet recommended Purina Cat Chow. He said it had everything in it that my cat needed. Since then my household has grown, and I moved from the north to Florida with my family. When my sister and I joined households we now have 6 cats. They get along very well, and although it was easier for me to take care of just 1, then 2, then 3...I found a way to take care of 6 now! It's not easy. Lots of litter, lol! Anyway, about a year ago I guess, we decided to try the indoor formula, because my cats are and will always be indoor cats. Almost immediately we noticed a lot less puking going on. I know cats sort of "need" to puke sometimes I guess to get rid of hairballs, but this food does seem to help and they all seem to like it. I give them treats sometimes too, but not too many. Here is one thing I really can't understand... 5 cats are healthy weight, but one of mine is really really fat! He is obese by vet standards. He always has been too (after kittenhood). He does not eat more (in fact usually less) than the others, and he exercises/plays about the same amount as all of them. Poor guy...I guess he just has low metabolism or something.

I used to think this food was ok

I used to think this was good food.  But then I learned that you get what you pay for.  Although Purina has been around for a long time, after reading "Your Cat" by Elizabeth Hodgekins, I can no longer agree that dry food is the best, and especially not the grocery store brands.  This food has corn meal as a main or second ingredient.  Cats are carnivors and if left to their own devices, would only eat 3-7% of their diet as carbs.  And that 3-7% would mostly be from the stomach of their prey.  So where is the meat in Cat Chow?  Poultry By-Product (from their website)   While I'm not a no by product finatic, I don't think all the meat my cat gets should be from by products.  I'd prefer none, thank you.  Then there is meat and bone meal.  What meat?  From cows? Chickens? Rabbits?  I don't like the non identified meat source.   I know people who say, "My cat lived on this for years and is fine."  That's ok for them, but for my babies, only the best.  And after thorough research, I can't say that this iis the best food.  Hope this helps.  Please read, read, read ingredients.

I would buy this product again and again

from San Jose, CA

About Me Long-time Pet Owner

Pros

• Easy To Digest

Cons

• Pricey / Poor Value

• Kittens

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

My loves this, y'all need to give this to your cat

veterinarian recommended

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food is the brand used by and requested by our local humane shelter. We recently adopted a shelter cat, a sweet girl who is about 4 years old and finally found her forever home! I knew the shelter used Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food from previous donations, but I never knew why. Upon adopting Macie, I asked the ladies at the shelter and was surprised to learn their veterinarian recommends this food. After investigating, I found the indoor blend has 25 essential vitamins and minerals, is effective at controlling hairballs and promotes healthy coat and skin. I was pleased to find this is a very affordable food, and my kitty loves it. She is active, healthy and has a beautiful, shiny coat! Purina has been in business over 80 years, and with products like Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food I can see why! Great product, great price!

Trusted company

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

We have switched between several brands but this one seems to be the best for our two cats. Our cats get two scoops per day and the only time we notice them not eating much is when on vacation. They have not had issues such as not liking it, getting sick, etc. We have tried several flavors within Purina and the cats do not mind. We used Purina for our dog when she was alive. Purina is a good choice for anyone wanting quality food for their pets.

Quality of Ingredients
Would say that since our cats don't get sick after eating the food, and that they don't refuse to eat, Purina has a good taste and provides all that our cats need for a healthy diet. When we take into the vet every year or so they are found to be fine so would conclude the Purina choice is working.

Flavor Selection
There are usually several choices when we go to pick up more cat food. Don't know what other flavors I would be looking for as the cats do well with those we do get them. The selection is in line with other brands we see when shopping.

• Flavor Selection:

Wouldn't use any other brand

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

This is the only brand I've found that my cat can tolerate fine without having diarrhea/NASTY smelling poops. I have never once had her cough up a hair ball, or had her be gassy, and she has only gotten sick once but we were gone on vacation and I think she was stressed or ate something else, I don't think it was because of the cat food. She loves the taste and always comes running when she hears me filling her dish. I even had to put her automatic feeder on a shelf where the dog can't reach it because he was emptying it completely as soon as my back was turned! Bottom line, I would definitely recommend it. Good value for money if you get the big bags, and I often see it go on sale or see coupons for it.

Quality of Ingredients
We have had no problems with sickness, gas, diarrhea, or puking, or hair balls. For me that answers the question of quality!

Flavor Selection
They don't seem to really have different flavours, but rather different lines. (kitten chow, adult, indoor, hairball control, etc). Still, my cat loves it!!

• Flavor Selection:

Was disappointed in the overall results.

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

I bought Purina's Indoor formula because I do not allow any of my rescues to be outside and thought this would give them the extra grasses that they miss by not being allowed outside. I found that they seemed to like the flavor okay, and did eat it, but "Whew" when they went to the litter box, did it ever stink! I did find them eating much more of this food than the Purina One variety because this one does not have protein as the main ingredient in it so does not satisfy them for very long, so they eat twice as much. I didn't notice any vomiting with this food as I have with some brands I've bought so that was a plus. The quality of the ingredients is pretty equivalent to most brands so nothing really spectacular there, except for the addition of grass substitutions. Maybe that's what causes their poops to smell so bad. Only comes in one flavor selection for this variety and I haven't noticed that you can buy different size bags. Mostly only 7lb and 16lb depending on where you shop. My daughter also tried this for her cats and had the same bad odor when they used the litter box.

A Brand that I Trust

from Nashville, TN

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

There are many bigger and better brands of cat food on the market, however, this is still one that I feed Ms. Kitty often. I have always trusted the Purina brand, and I know that my furry feline is getting a product that she will like and that will also keep her healthy.

This cat food is priced right. While some of the other brands cost an arm and a leg, this one remains affordable through and through. It is easy to find also, so you will not have to go out of your way to go to a specialty pet store to pick it up.

The choice of flavors is great. You never have to feed the cat the same flavor. Although I am not a cat, I feel like they get tired of the same ole' same ole just like humans. I love knowing that I can switch up Ms. Kitty's food flavors to keep her interested.

The downside to the Indoor cat food from Purina is that it does have by products in it. Even with that being said, I still trust that Purina will provide me with a good quality product and keep those extras to a minimal.

from Saint Petersburg Fl

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

I have used this food a few time when it's on sale but my three guys aren't that excited about this food overall. For some reason, they seem to throw up a little more often than normal when eating this food. We all know cats throw up when they have hairballs or eat too fast but they just don't seem to really enjoy this food. I'm sure it's good for them but it comes down to interest and they aren't too interested in this food most of the time. As with all cats, it's a personal thing. Your cat may love it.

Quality of Ingredients
The ingredients are pretty good as my cats are very mature and this food is something I get for a change of pace for them. They are all indoor cats but I would give it a try. People that own cats know how cats tastes can vary from cat to cat a lot. One cat hates something and the other loves it. I would certainly give it a try.

Flavor Selection
I don't notice a lot of different flavors of this food on the shelves when I do buy it.

• Flavor Selection:

A Staple among cat food brands

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

I have been a cat lover and owner for many, many years and have always sought to provide the very best for my cats and their kittens. I have used Purina cat food for many years, specifically when I have kittens in the home. I have found that my kittens get a well balanced meal when I use this brand because there are no fillers and it provides all of the essential vitamins and nutrients for them to thrive. My kittens love it. My adults cats also love the brand.

Quality of Ingredients
This product does offer high quality ingredients, so my animals are benefiting from this product continuously. I appreciate the indoor specific for cats and kittens that do not have the benefit of being outdoors on a regular basis or even permanently. It truly makes a difference in the coat, the teeth and the digestive system of my cats also.

Flavor Selection
They do not have a huge selection of different flavors, however they make up for it in the quality of the product they produce.

.Purina--Purrfect Cat Food

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

I have two cats--and one has digestive issues. I have always been a Purina fan, but I have to say this particular formula is the best one we have tried so far. My younger cat gets loose stools on a fairly regular basis, so we have tried quite a lot of different diets for her, and different brands of cat food--but she has really taken to the Purina Indoor Cat formula, and she doesn't have nearly as many sick days as she used to. It would be ideal if the vet could figure out why she gets sick in the first place--but no luck so far *sigh*. On this cat food, she has fewer watery stools, less mucus, and they don't smell nearly as bad.

Quality of Ingredients
One of the things I have always liked about Purina is how well made their cat food is. My cats' coats are always thick, soft and shiny, they have a lot of energy, and even my younger cat (the one with digestive issues) has much fewer problems with Purina in general.

Flavor Selection
Purina has enough flavor choice even in the dry varieties that I can give my cats a change of taste on a regular basis, so they don't get "bored". As a matter of fact, I change flavors less often with Purina cat food, because they don't seem to mind eating the same flavor all the time. I do wish Purina offered more flavor variety in their indoor cat food formula, or within categories in general, but at least my cats are happy.

Great product

Comments about Purina Cat Chow Indoor Formula Dry Cat Food:

When I first got my cat I would buy foods that I knew nothing about and try them out with her. I could tell when a food just was not for her and would move on to the next one. I finally ran across Purina Cat Chow dry cat food and just knew I had to give this one a try. I have always fed my dogs Purina brand food so I should have known to look into a Purina cat food. My cat really enjoyed this food. It seemed to be the perfect size for her mouth and it was not too hard for her. I even noticed that she had more energy when she ate this food than to when she was eating other brands of food. I think some of the other cat foods I tried her on did not agree with her stomach because she would get sick every now and the. Ever since starting her on Purina cat food I have had no issues with her getting sick anymore and she seems to be doing great with this food. I would recommend this cat food to other cat owners for sure. It is really affordable and you can buy it in a few different sized packages.