3.7

3.7

Pros

Cons

HTC Thunderbolt is a great Android phone

I wanted to use this phone for a while before I rated it, to make sure that there were no underlying bugs that would take time to surface. The size is great, the clarity of the screen perfect for all but direct sunlight, which is something I can live with. Its got a nice weight to it, not too heavy but not too light. Calls never drop, I an even get reception in the Blue Ridge Mountains. Calls are clear, volume control is great. Touch screen is appropriately sensitive. Having come from phones with a QWERTY keyboard, the virtual keyboard was a little tough getting used to, I missed the feeling of actually pushing the key, but I use it now with no problem after three months. The 4G is lightning fast (I use it at work often to look up recipes and ingredient facts). The availability of apps from the Android Market makes it as useful as any iPhone. I am very happy that I did the research and got this phone from Verizon Wireless. The rear facing camera takes incredible pictures, so good that I sold my Olympus camera. Upload right to Picassa to share with Facebook. The only con I can find is the battery life, but if I need to conserve energy, I turn off the background data I get a few more hours out of it. I also carry a spare cord with me, and have a plug in the car just in case. With all of the pros, that one con wasn't a deal breaker for me.

update - 6/14/12 - well, having problems with the 4LTE service dropping for no reason. getting a little frustrated, but not enough to deal with verizon just yet.

Battery Life
not great, but i've heard that iphones are worse.

clear, colorful

Call Quality
clear as a bell, even in the smokey mountains.

i think there are things i still haven't found that it can do, but the stuff i know about works like a charm.

has been dropped a couple of times without problem, but I keep it in a case just to make sure.

standard shape, nice profile. i like it

So much potential...

This phone had so much potential that it never lived up to (for me). I got the phone shortly after it was first released. I was going to wait for more 4G phones to come out, but Verizon was dropping unlimited data and I wanted to be grandfathered in. There were many features I loved about the phone. The camera outdid all the other android smartphones people I knew had, and photography is a paying hobby for me. I actually found Sense to be very intuitive, although some people do not. It's a small detail, but I loved that it came with decent ring tones and notification tones. I know I can download these, but I am not that picky and usually use what comes with the phone. I now have a Samsung that I did need to download tones for, and I made it sound like the HTC TB. The size of the TB was great, especially with the heavy duty case I kept on it. Very comfortable to use. The built-in kickstand was pretty great, as carrying an extra stand is a bit annoying. But it had a lot of problems, some of which I now question if they were not the fault of Verizon's service rather than the phone. I got the phone when a bug in an update caused rebooting even while on it. They did fix that, but I never was able to get the call clarity I did on my BB or now on my Samsung. I had several replacement phones that had various issues too. One would shut itself down for no reason, and only a battery pull would fix it. One came with a black spot in the camera, which may be a QC issue. They all had issues with holding a data connection and switching between wireless, 3G and 4G networks. It was not a terrible phone, just never lived up to its potential.

Battery Life
I did okay after figuring out ways to maximize the battery. Plus I always had a spare with me. But it was pretty awful.

Display/Screen Quality
I liked the display. The Verizon guys tried to push me to the brand new Charge when I was looking, but I disliked the over-saturated colors.

Call Quality
I was never able to get it to sound very good on either end of a call. It was usable but not as good as other phones, including my old BB Pearl.

I found the Sense overlay to be among the most intuitive of the android OS overlays. It was simple to figure out for almost everything. And easy to discover the things that were more tricky with a Google search. Nothing was impossible, other than the things that truly didn't work.

I did have a screen protector and heavy-duty case on it, but I drop phones often so it was required. It dropped out of my lap onto pavement when getting out of the car, dropped from being tucked under my arm onto sidewalks, and was even dropped down a large flight of hardwood stairs from just about the top step. I watched it bounce down the steps thinking it would be dead, but it survived without a scratch. Of course, that may have been due to the awesome Seidio case, but the phone seemed to make it through things...

It was fine. Could have been a bit lighter, especially if the battery was going to be crap. I liked the size of it pretty well, though I have adapted just fine to my larger Samsung.

Nice Phone

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

Overall, I really enjoy this phone. While the battery life isn't the greatest, HTC does offer an extended life battery that you can use instead of the standard battery. I didn't order the extended battery yet, so I am not sure how much more time this will add to the battery life, but I do intend on ordering it eventually. The re-charge time is fairly quick, so once the battery runs out, it's not long before you can be back up and running. The camera on this smartphone is just as good as my ten mega-pixel point and shoot camera. The camera function is very easy to use and upload pictures. The phone has a nice design and seems very durable and sturdy. It comes with a kickstand on the back which makes it nice for sitting on your desk. The phone was a fair price and didn't cost a fortune like some of the other phones I had shopped for. I did notice that on occasion the phone will stall for a few seconds when trying to make a call, and if you have an incoming call you need to answer it quickly or it will go to voice mail, but that may something you can change, I just haven't checked in to the settings for that particular issue yet.

• Call Quality:

Obviously the first 4G LTE Verizon made!

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

I have had this phone since it first came out (sad I know) & its okay, but it actually has a very slow processor making the phone itself way slow with apps running in the background.
-It freezes constantly.
-The charging port is horrible. I actually have to charge my battery while its taken out of my phone.
-The standard battery that comes with it, you might as well have a super charged universal battery charger in your purse if you want this phone to last you all day! (that is if your charging port works!!!)
-I usually turn WI-FI, Mobile Internet Connection, & Location Services off to help save battery & that still only makes it through 2/5 of my day.
-Sometimes i have issues with my SD Card 'unexpected removal', but the slot for my SD is under the battery, so there is no way my SD could have been unexpectedly be removed while turned on :(
-When you set a picture as a screen background, it makes you crop the image. NO MATTER WHAT YOU DO, IT MAKES YOU CROP! and you can only have one image for ALL your screens. I discovered this FREE (thank goodness) android app: MultiPicture Live Wallpaper that allows me to select multiple photos without having to crop my photos :)

there is more issues but these are the main ones that just drive me nuts!

HTC is a decent brand, but like I said, its obviously the first 4G LTE phone Verizon made!

Really decent display

Get a kinda think rubber shock absorbing case!!! you wont have a phone for long if you dont

• Call Quality:

A pretty good 4G phone with terrible battery life.

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

I have had my htc Thunderbolt for approximately 2 years, so I have used it extensively. I like the Android platform and appreciated the updates, but I wish they had updated it to Android 4.0. The htc Sense is still one of the best stock personalization programs available and I prefer it over LG's and Samsung's earlier offerings. The storage of the phone is one of its best offerings (it allows up to a 32 GB SD card). The call quality is clear and I appreciate the large screen size- it's ideal for watching Netflix. Now for the cons... The battery life lasts only 4 hours in a 4G network area. I immediately bought an extended battery, but it takes weight to an already heavy phone. The phone is notorious for power cycling, (i.e. restarting itself) and this is annoying when you need to use it. There are a few other items which I wish could be changed, but in the end, I still prefer this phone over some of its contemporaries.

So much potential...

from Boston, MA

• Call Quality:

Good phone. Awful, awful battery.

from Minneapolis, MN

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

The HTC Thunderbolt was my first smartphone. I got it because I liked the design (how it looked). And I liked that it felt solid in my hand. Other smartphones, like the Samsung Galaxy 2 & 3 feel too plasticy to me. I also liked that this device had lots of available memory for movies, not to mention a big, bright screen for watching them on. And it has everything else you'd expect from an upper-level phone these days: good camera, fast internet, lots of apps, yada yada yada.

Now to the bad side - its battery. Most days I hardy use my phone. I just check my email from time to time and maybe listen to a couple songs on my way to work (I take the bus). Well, by noon the batter will already be at 50% or 60%! In fact the battery is so bad that I have to bring the charger wherever I go.

So do I recommend this phone? Yes, but if I were you I'd go ahead and get a second battery.

HTC Thunderbolt is a great Android phone

from Maryville, TN

Battery Life
not great, but i've heard that iphones are worse.

clear, colorful

Call Quality
clear as a bell, even in the smokey mountains.

standard shape, nice profile. i like it

• Call Quality:

Great (minus the battery life)!!!

from Hoover, AL

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

I love everything about this phone, except the battery. I use it as a GPS, radio, camera, camcorder, and flashlight.

Battery Life
I have three chargers: one for home, one for my car, and one for work or travel. I have to keep my phone charged at all times because the battery life is not that great. If I didn't use it so much the battery might last longer.

Display/Screen Quality
The screen is very clear. Videos and photos are crisp. The screen detects when the display is blurry and automatically adjusts to make it clearer.

Call Quality
I can't speak for other networks, but the call quality on the Verizon network is amazing. I never have any dropped calls. The fact that this phone is 4G is an added plus.

The phone is very intuitive. Because it's a touch screen, sometimes you might accidentally key the wrong thing. Overall, there is just so much that you can do with this phone. I use the internet and apps for Twitter and Facebook everyday.

Unfortunately, I have dropped this phone a few times (honestly, most people probably have dropped their phones). It still works just fine.

The screen is large enough that I can view an entire web page, either in portrait or landscape. The phone automatically converts the display when you turn the phone a certain way. The size of the phone (4.8" L x 2.6" W x 0.52" T) may be a little large for some people but it can still fit into my pocket or a small clutch.

• Call Quality:

Easy to use and large screen for easy to see!

from Alsea, OR

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

This phone is easy to use and has so many functions! I am happy with all of the app options that I have and that it is so versatile. the screen is large enough for me to view everything I need with ease, and having the back rest that comes out makes it so much easier to use the touch screen for things. I use apps all day long. Its also nice to be able to use my home's wireless connection so that I'm not using data when I don't need to be!!

• Call Quality:

Hope you stay near a charging source!

from Irvington, KY

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

I love my thunderbolt despite it having the worst battery life of any phone I've ever owned. I'm usually never far from a place to charge it but if you are this may not be the phone for you!

Battery Life
With moderate use I can drain a fully charged battery in less than 2 hours.

Beautiful, large display.

Call Quality
Rarely a dropped call and the sound is excellent.

Very simple to use and straight forward.

I've dropped it on carpet more than once without a case and it's been fine.

Compared to other phones it's a little large and bulky but that means a larger screen so I'm ok with that.

HTC smartphone

from Bridgeport, CT

Comments about HTC 4G LTE Smartphone:

Avoid! I do not understand the hype about this phone. It feels like they concentrated too much on style and appearance and forgot about the user. It is no good having 1000 "Apps" if you can never talk to anyone because the battery life is so bad. I had one of these and the battery died constantly so I sent it back and switched to another brand. HTC really has some great features and I have friends satisfied with their phones but for me they really missed the mark on this model. Most folks seem to forget that these things are first and foremost phones and not just about the internet.