Other Car Seats:
Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat

Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat

Pros

Cons

While my son is in this seat I have complete peace of mind.

We recently added the Graco Toddler Safeseat to our vehicle when my son reached the age and weight transition and graduated from his infant seat. I had checked reviews on safety ratings for this particular seat and they fell into the above average category. However, there were several other brands that had similar positive ratings.

While looking at the car-seats firsthand I kept gravitating toward the Graco Toddler Safeseat because of the strong, sturdy look it possessed. It was one of the only seats where the upper sides of the seat seemed to "enclose" around my son. There was an extra feeling of protection with the enclosure and thick padding on each side of his head.

Additionally, it had a removable, washable cover. The assembly was near complete when  initially removing it from the box. It required only a few belt adjustments and it was ready to go.

Installation was simple with the succinct instruction manual that also fit into a compartment under the seat, which is easily accessible if you had additional questions about usage or a refresher on how to reinstall the seat.

Finally, it was affordable for our family. It was not the cheapest of the car-seats available for his age and weight range, however it was moderately priced. It was worth spending the extra money for the peace of mind, knowing the seat had a look and feel of safety and had received such positive safety ratings from Consumer Reports.

Added perks to the Graco Toddler Safeseat are accessories that come with some models or are available for purchase. Ours came with a cup and snack holder that has been an asset and beyond helpful as it kept us from fishing the sippy cups off the floor numerous times per trip. The seat also comes with a reclining lever that is easy to adjust.

Not what I expected!

I bought the Graco Safe Seat 1 in Portica because I liked the idea of having my son in his infant seat a bit longer. I was so excited to use it, However when it got time to take my son home from the hospital, I hit a problem. My 6lb. 6.7 oz. son wouldn't fit in it. He was too small. They say the weight minimum is 5 lbs. but due to the** **ENORMOUS buckle, chest clip and extremely long crotch strap I couldn't get the harness near tight enough to protect him without choking him. I had to use another seat until he was big enough to fit in it at about 8+ lbs. I was so mad! I spent a good chunk of money on this seat I expected to be able to take my son home in it.

Then once we were using it we had a whole new ball of wax to mess with. The material the cover is made with is HORRIBLE! My son sweat so bad in it that within 5 minutes in the 70 degree weather he was soaked! There's no way some poor baby in any warmer weather could survive in this seat long without heat stroke!

Finally ... due to the seat being made to accomodate a heavier child ... This seat is so heavy I can barely carry it. It's just way too bulky! I have found this seat to be more of a pain the rear than anything and defintiely would not recommend it to anyone!

Love the Carseat, Especially Since It Can Hold Kids Up to Age 2

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

My husband and I originally bought a Graco Snugride for our babies, but after the carseat laws were changed to keep babies rear-facing until age two, we needed another carseat to fit this guideline. We still wanted a carrier-type carseat that we could use for infants, but that would last us a couple of years.

We finally bought a Grado Safe Seat and have used it for our last two children. It comes with a headrest for the newborn stage, which I really appreciate, but can still hold bigger babies. The paradox of this carseat is its size. It has to be bigger (both in length as well as weight) in order to accommodate the older babies, but at the same to me it is even heavy with a newborn coming home from the hospital. I have not used it often as a carrier-type carseat just because of its weight.

Since it is a longer carseat, it barely fits in our mid-size car. We have since upgraded to a minivan that works with it just fine, but it has a hard time fitting in even the larger size of car. It would definitely not work with a compact car.

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

Easy to use

from Chino, CA

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

I had a friend who had this carseat with there daughter, and when I found out I was pregnant, I automatically went to this seat as a possibility for our child. My husband and I received it as a gift for christmas, and I could not be happier! I absolutely love this seat. We are having a girl, but we did not want to have a girly, pink car seat. This was the perfect seat for us. The pattern on the seat is so pretty and elegant. Not over the top. The base was easy to install in our car, and when our daughter arrived and we finally got to use the seat, I found it to be extremely easy to get in and out of the car. It locks in tight and then easliy comes out. Getting my daughter buckled in and taking her out is not hard at all. I do wish the base was in black though, it would match the seat, and my car, a lot better, but that is a small detail. I have not had a problem with this seat, my daughter loves it, I love it, my husband loves it. A great buy! and a safe one!

Update: My daughter is almost 2 now, she used this seat until she was 1. I loved this seat everyday i used it. I never had any problem with the seat, she sat comfortably, it was pretty easy to take in and out of the car. The seat belt wasn't too hard to change as she got bigger. Easy to clean, although, we never had a big accident in it where I would of had to do a deep cleaning. I flew with it 2 times, and it held up perfectly, did get a little dirty but nothing a wet washcloth couldn't take care of. I also liked how the sun shield moved all the way down, so that I could block the sun for my daughter, wherever it was shining. The seat is still in great condition, I will definitely be using it for our next kid.

Ease of Installation
I love the clips that it comes with so that I could just snap them into my car, tighten and I was ready to go.

Child's Comfort
It seemed very comfortable for my little one most of the time. One thing I do remember was that she got hot in it. I guess the air didn't circulate that well through the fabric. I only had a couple times where she got so hot and fussy that I had to stop and do something for her.

Support and Safety
Once it is strapped in correctly, it is very sturdy in the car. Doesn't jostle around, so I liked that it felt safe and sturdy for my little one.

Very easy. Snapped in easily and came out quickly. Overall, very easy to use

The design was really nice. I liked how cozy my daughter looked in it. I wouldn't change the design

Like I mentioned above, it held up through two round trip airplane flights. So very durable. Held up well

• Ease of Installation:
  • Child's Comfort:
  • Support and Safety:

Too Heavy, not practical

from Hatboro, PA

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

This seat is bulkier than others and heavier. It does not fit in wooden restaurant high chairs or in shopping carts. Even though Graco's advertisement says up to 30 lbs, I'm not sure how a 30 lb. baby would fit in it. Love the patterns offered, very neutral which is what appeled me to it, but dont think its really worth the annoyance as baby gets heavier. The straps also are not long enough for a baby over twenty pounds plus. I am borrowing my sister in laws now and put this seat away for a just in case situation. Had it not been for the weight of the seat and all the inconveinences, I would have given it 5 stars. I dont think I would reccomend this car seat. I do love the stollers that come with these seats though, very convienent and great storage with it.

Perfect for a princess

from Oroville, CA

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

I bought the Graco safe seat in Jenny, for my youngest daughter. I fell in love with this pattern and couldn't resist how adorable it was. The best part of the seat aside from the pattern was that it is a trusted manufacturer with great safety reviews. I did alot of research when selecting a new infant seat and felt that I was getting the best with the design of the safeseat, my babies are usually small and this carseat would last for the whole year and then some. However to our surprise I delivered a 8lb preemie and we were so thanful that this seat would accomodate her "normal" size. Like I said I fell in love with the pattern and purchased the whole set including the matching diaper bag. I also like that fact that no other mom's or babies around where I lived had the same seat...so my princess was truely ridin in style. I would recommend this seat to anyone. My seat went to my best friends when she had a little girl the following year along with the other items from teh set. It still looks great and lasted through 2 babies.

LOVE the safe seat!

from Warren, MI

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

This has to be by far the sweetest infant carrier! We bought this for our munchkins - and it has worked AMAZINGLY! LOVED that although the babies get big - they can still stay in the carrier and you do not have to wake them up between trips to the store and other errands! We have 5 children so this is key for our sanity that the baby can still rest!

LOVED that when the baby was colicky in the night with reflux - could put the baby in the carrier and rock it back and forth and baby would easily fall back asleep! My kids loved this carrier!

Make sure you read the instructions carefully - when installing the straps so that they are threaded properly as it is a tad different in the back where they connect (placement of the loop area) so that your child is the safest possible! If buying new or buying used, check it!

I used this with the snuzzler (by kiddopotamus) and it was SO nice and cozy for my babies as they came home from the hospital! Definatley an awesome carrier - I recommend it to all my friends and even passed mine on after I used it to a friend! LOVED it!

Pros: VERY good for larger babies (once they hit the 6 months mark they tend to outgrow most carriers). Snaps into stroller easily. Works great in single or double stroller! Also fit into my baby trend triple stroller! Graco a good company to work with too - while under warrenty they replaced the seat pad and everything when replacing the canopy...

Cons: Heavy when baby hits that 20 lb mark!

The Graco Safe Seat is perfect for infants!

from Delaware, OH

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

I have had the same Graco Safe Seat through both of my daughters.  Originally, I purchased the seat in a set with the stroller, and while the stroller still sits practically brand new in my closet, we have gotten a ton of mileage out of the safe seat!  My oldest daughter was able to ride comfortably in this seat until she was nearly 18 months old (she was always on the small side), and it always worked great and was easy to install (although we never liked the bases).  However, when I tried to wash the cover in preparation for my second daughter, the cover literally fell apart in the washing machine (despite being washed on gentle).  I still have no idea why this happened, but I contacted Graco about purchasing a new cover, and they were kind enough to send me a replacement cover for FREE - talk about great customer service!  We went from the gender-neutral blue that we had with our first daughter, to the adorable pink Jenny print with our second and I was thrilled. It definitely is more difficult to keep the lighter pink cover clean, however, I have not had any problems with washing this cover, and I loved the look of it so it was worth the extra work! ;)  The seat itself features a very secure and easy-to-use 5 point harness, it also has a great nest-like shape to keep your baby safe and comfortable.  It is also very easy to carry and it does work great with the graco strollers (if you can stand the big bulky strollers!).  If we do have a third child, I will definitely be buying another Safe Seat for him or her (or using the same one if it hasn't expired by then!)! :)

High weight limits are nice but this seat is HEAVY!

from Brown City, MI

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

I'm currently using the Graco SafeSeat with my third child and I have a love/hate relationship with this car seat.

The Pros:

It seems to be made well.  I've never had any major problems with it.  The material is nice and it doesn't feel cheap.  I love that my big babies were able to use it longer than the smaller twenty two pound car seats.  With the small seats both of my boys would have out grown them by five months!  I love the convenience of a carrier, I would not want to have a five month old in a convertible because they still sleep well in the car and I would hate to have to wake them to move them.

The Cons:

This seat is HEAVY.  While it is rated up to 32lbs it would take a strong person to carry this car seat holding a child that heavy.  Once my kids reached about 20lbs it started staying in the car because it was just too heavy to carry with the child in it (although it is nice to have the option).  This seat is BIG.  It's hard to fit it in many cars.  It has to sit in the middle seat in a sedan unless the passenger seat is moved pretty far forward.  The canopy is a silly design and it stopped working right with my first child.  I've had problems getting the seat to release from the base.

Graco car seats are safe and easy to use!

from Lakeville, MN

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

We purchased the Graco Safe Seat after reading many reviews online.  It's rated high in safety as well as ease of use.  My husband and I each have a base in our vehicle and it's so easy to snap the seat in/out.  The weight limit is also great at 30 pounds, so we won't have to buy another car seat until our daughter is 1 and able to front face in a different car seat.

Graco makes a good car seat

from Las Vegas, NV

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

I really like this car seat.  I bought it for my daughter and then used it again for my son and I haven't had any problems with it.  I like the cute print and my kids seem pretty comfortable in it.  It cleaned up well after every blow out or throw up incident, which is bound to happen with small babies.  I also liked that is wasn't too heavy.  I have heavy babies and adding that to a heavy carseat is torture!  Car seats in general are not too easy to cart around but I didn't find this one to be more or less difficult than any other.

I didn't end up using the base.  It throws the car seat several inches forward and it wouldn't fit in the back seat of my car.  I would have really enjoyed that convenience, but it wasn't too big of a pain.  The slots on top make it easy to hook a belt across the top.

I would always recommend Graco products and this one is no exception.  Hope you like it as much as I did!

Love the seat. Sturdy, long lasting. A little heavy.

from Hattiesburg, MS

Comments about Graco SafeSeat Infant Car Seat:

We got this seat for our son whose gender was a surprise until the delivery day.  The black and white pattern is very versatile, and I've gotten a lot of compliments on it.  The extended weight/height limits have been great for us.  My son will be one next week and still has a long way to go until he reaches the weight and height limits.  My only two slight complaints are outweighed by the seat's benefits.  It is a little heavy to carry, but It fits well in the Graco stroller frame so it's easy to travel with.  Due to It's slightly irregular size doesn't always fit easily in restaurant high chairs.   The padding seems to make the seat very comfortable for my son.  My husband did not have any trouble with the installation and we were able to get bases for both of our cars and for each grandmother, so transferring baby is very easy.  This was really the best seat for us and we would definitely buy it again.