2.1

2.1

Pros

Cons

• Shipping and Returns:

Go Window Shopping; then buy it here for less!

Ever stop to gaze at a beautiful dress in a store window and then see the price tag and move on quickly?  Well, now you may be able to have that dress at a deeply discounted price?  Same goes for fine china, children and mens wear, jewelry, handbags, etc.

The Gilt Groupe is a "by invitation only" shopping site.  **The site provides you access to** **famous fashion and  luxury brands at prices up to 70% off retail**.  Each sale lasts 36 hours and features hand selected styles from a designer.  All sales take place on the site  and are on a first come, first served basis.  To introduce each brand, the designer presents a preview of some of the offered pieces and a little info about the designer themselves.  Then, if you are really interested in that particular sale, you can request an email reminding you when the sale starts.

When I first came across several of these discount shopping sites, I have to admit I was a little leary...were these really designer pieces or faux?....what about customer service and returns?...were the offerings just junk or were there some really nice things offered?....

Well, I received an invitation to join and did so.  I then patiently watched the sales as they occurred and there are some sales that still shock me price wise.  There are designer gowns that originally retailed at $5,000 and are now being offered at $2,000 (and they sell out too!!).  I glance through these sales, but obviously, there are still a bit too steep for my budget.  At the same time, there are many good bargains.

I did not want to wite a review on Gilt until I had placed an order and tested their delivery and customer service.  I can honestly say the shipment arrived in perfect shape and quickly.  No complaints on this end.  i purchased a beautiful caftan tunic in a silk material, that was originally priced at $425 and my price was $100.  It is truly beautiful and have received many compliments on the item.

Some of the recent designers have been:  Vera Wang, Charles Nolan shoes, Alfred Dunhill menswear, Michael Kors, Absorba childrens wear and Cole Haan.

You can return items and as with any shopping site, there are restrictions on some items.

I am reviewing three discount designer sites today and Gilt Groupe is definitely the cream of the crop.  Every clothing piece is on an actual live model and is nicely displayed, with front, back and closeup views.

A sampling of the press reviews:

Lucky Magazine says "The most insanely valuable giveaways ever"

OK Magazines says "The best onlines bargains:Sizzing sales you cannot pass up"

The VIEW says "Live like the Rich and Famous"

As indicated in the beginning, gaining membership is by invitation only.  I can send you an invitation if you let me know you are interested.  I have no affiliation with this website other than being a customer.

Overpriced, Gilt group; the name says it all. It is a rip off

Gilt group is  a ploy; it is for the people who do think they are bargain hunters, and don't really know the truth about the products they are...Read complete review

Gilt group is  a ploy; it is for the people who do think they are bargain hunters, and don't really know the truth about the products they are selling.

First of all, it is not invitation only.  Anyone can join.  So don't think you are special by recieving a "invitation" only access to the site.

Second, remember those days you went to the good ol' mall and bargain hunted along with thousands of other women, and soon found that you were ripping into each other, nudging each other out, and stealing from their basket?   this is that kind of online market.

It is their marketing scheme, Gilt creates a timeline for you to purchase their product, so anyone who is shopping, gets increasingly frustrated as they shop, because they are competing with thousands of other people when they only have about 10 products listed for sale.  And maybe one true product out of those ten that is a real steal.

Last but greatest of them all;  other sites for bargain hunters are much much more cheaper.  And I am an avid shopper online, I compare all the time, I've been watching GILT all the time, and each and every time, I see their sales, I reference to other sites, and see that Gilt charges atleast 30% more, but they sell their items, because they create this competition with the shoppers, within their own system.  Its' a false sense of reality people.  Get real!

But... you can be intelligent, and take the positive out of this.

You can watch all the people buy their stock up .  So they keep going.

Then you can reference their pictures (pictures are good) and then decide look at the details carefully, then buy elsewhere, where you can truly find a good deal.

That is what I do atleast.  C'mon its almost 2010.  We need to be smarter, saavy, and be on the look out for each other.

Terrible, but used to be good

from Dubai, UAE

Comments about Gilt.com:

Shopping on Gilt.com used to be a wonderful experience, both in terms of pricing and customer service. However, over the last one year, its has become from bad to worse. I experienced this atleast twice where they refused to resolve the complaint inspite of admitting their fault as per their 'policy' or 'techinical reasons':
1. I had an international shipment and they charged me in local currency instead of USD although i selected USD as the payment currency in the order screen. This would not be an issue, if they hadnt charged me 8% EXTRA without any reason any REFUSED to refund as the order had been 'placed'.
2. Recently, i placed another international shipping order for 7 items. Because of custom rules, one item could not be shipped internationally (which was NOT menioned jn item description). Weirdly enough, Gilt cancelled the ENTIRE order without ever asking me for a US addres which i could have easily provided, or cancel the ONE item which could not be shipped internationally. Worse, when i wanted to place the order again without the restricted item, 3 of my 7 purchases were UNAVAILABLE ...!!

Ofcourse, their customer service was totally u helpful which resulted me in writing this review.

Don't Buy Furniture Here!!

from North Carolina

Comments about Gilt.com:

We ordered a sofa and chair from gilt really hoping for a great experience... It was horrible! Once we received our furniture it was not even close to the color which we thought we were receiving. When told we were not able to return it because it states there could be a "slight" difference in color in the fine print. We were very dissatisfied with the whole process and how Gilt decided to handle it with not helping with the situation at all. We will not ever be shopping with Gilt again and strongly urge that you take serious precautions if you decide to. Consider yourself warned!

Large (larger than expected) suitcase

Comments about Gilt.com:

Be careful - I ended up with a suitcase that I could easily fit into - much too large for me to use to travel with - because they won't take a return. This may not be true of all their items but it was a $400 suitcase and it is much larger than I thought it would be but they won't let me return it. I won't be using gilt again and I would say be very careful if you do! Here's the really unfortunate part - I could have purchased this from almost any other retailer for the same price or less (did not realize this until they refused to let me return it) and from any of them luggage is always returnable, even after it has been used if something breaks or doesn't work. Please don't use this site, their customer service is the most unreasonable and unpleasant of any."

I could fit inside it, I thought it was a large suit case but I can barely lift it when it's e,pty

Product Selection
This was the "large" size, they had carry on and medium and then this one so I assumed it was a standard large - it wasn'tt it was HUGE

Product Pricing
As it turns out I could have bought this at the same or lower price from multiple retailers all wh have reasonable return policies for luggage. With luggage sometimes one s unaware of defects until it is used and I have never had an issue with a return in over 30 years.

Customer Service
Most rude and unpleasant I have experienced.

Shipping and Returns
They refused to let me return it so how would I know?

Company is fraudulent!!

Comments about Gilt.com:

Placed an order for a patio set, called to verify that it was correct because it was a good deal. They confirmed the price and set she even emailed me additional information. Two weeks later they told me it was there mistake they couldn't give me the deal and added a credit to my account. They failed to explain the credit has an expiration date. Who wouldn't use free money needless to say they took it away. Don't shop here they are a fraudulent company!!!

• Shipping and Returns:

An all around hit or miss

from Pittsburgh, PA USA

Comments about Gilt.com:

The first time I visited this site, it was "invite only" and a friend had sent me an invite. There were plenty of fantastic deals and they seemed to have a wide selection of merchandise in all categories. You also seemed to get better deals. Now you don't need a referral and the quality of the Gilt experience seems to have gone downhill. For example, there used to be quite a selection of designer shoes. The last time I shopped, they had brands like Saucony and Nike on the site. I suppose they are brand name, but I would never have thought I'd see them on a site that is supposed to focus on designer goods. It was in odd company considering they also sell designers like Hermes and Christian Dior. For the prices of some of the items, you might as well just purchase directly from one of the designer shops. Then you know for sure exactly what you are getting. I was eyeing a Jimmy Choo bag and noticed it was only $30 more expensive on the designer's site and that it was about $50 less on other sites. You can find some good bargains here, but you need to dig around more then you used to. It is important to do your research before making a purchse, too. Check the prices and make sure you aren't paying too much or that you can't get a better deal somewhere else.

Overpriced site

from Utah

Comments about Gilt.com:

I shopped on gilt.com when looking for a present for my wife (I ended up getting her a new pair of shoes). But the design of the site was poor, many items were out of stock, and the items they have are way overpriced. For a splurge present, it worked out ok, but I do not plan to keep shopping there.

One of the biggest things that bothers me about a store website is when they automatically take you to a page to sign up for their "exclusive offers" and enter your personal information so that they can send you promotional emails before you have even shopped on their site. Gilt.com is one of these sites that did this, and it almost turned me off to buying anything from them. The only reason I entered my information and continued was that I had received a good recommendation from a friend for their site. Sadly, I will not be passing that same recommendation on to others.

Customer Service
I did have a couple questions about the shoes that I was purchasing, and customer service was very helpful in answering them quickly and accurately.

• Shipping and Returns:

Stay away from furniture items

Comments about Gilt.com:

Ordered a patio set over two months ago and have still not received it. I was supposed to receive it a week after my order, but the shipper (homedirectusa) lost a part of the shipment. Now my order is sitting in limbo. Nine conversations with Gilt and they still have no resolution and no anticipated shipment date. I asked for a refund and they refused saying they don't issue refunds. This is the first company I have dealt with that takes no responsibility for their shippers. My next step is to take this up with my credit card company.

Horrific customer service!

Comments about Gilt.com:

Worst customer service ever. They sent me 2 of the same item, double charged me, and then refused to let me return he duplicate item. They were totally unwilling to admit that they made the mistake. The customer service manager was extremely rude and unapologetic. I will never shop there again. Disappointing because I was a loyal customer for almost 6 years.

Not Reliable, Okay Products, Go Elsewhere

Comments about Gilt.com:

When I first received an invitation for Gilt, I was excited to check out a website with member only prices for a large selection of designer clothes. Don't be fooled by this invitation-selectivity, as it is not hard at all to get an invitation, and this is just an unnecessary measure for a website that basically anyone can access.

First thing I like about this store: Selection.
Selection is amazing! Usually, when shopping at these discounted websites, I don't really find anything to fit my taste, but amazingly, this was not the case with Gilt. In fact, I believe that anyone could find something that they like here.

Also: the prices are great! For people who can't afford to go full blown designer like me, the prices really make these clothes accessible.

Unfortunately... the customer service is absolutely horrible. I've had incidents where I've ordered items, they've never been shipped, and the customer service doesn't respond.

So.. if you're okay with this risk, shop here. Or be safe and go elsewhere.

Great if your smart about it

from New York, NY

Comments about Gilt.com:

This website is great if you are smart about it. They say they are by invite only to make it appear exclusive but everyone gets accepted and the invite can be directly from guilt if you request it so you don't meed to know someone who already uses it. The sales are basically flash sales. Some of the designers are well know like Marc Jacobs, sorrel, Kate spade, etc... Some of the brands I have never heard of and I have heard have been made specifically for guilt! That sounds like a bit of a rip, but I have been happy with everything I have ordered from them, even if I haven't heard of the brand. They also have brands make other labels specifically for discount. For example, Delman shoes makes I miller shoes. A friend of mine has the Delman and I have the I miller and they are exactly the same! I would say just look carefully into all sales and do your research on the web. Once they had a Brand name sale and I went to that brands website to find the same item on sale for $10 less and free shipping. Some other points to note: you can get points for browsing each day and bonus points for browsing consecutive days. The points then translate to a percent off. Happy shopping!